Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Required in unit building inspection notices around 07302, what gives?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
At least I don't have to worry about the 10 year battery smokes. Everything in my buildings is hardwired A/C.

Posted on: 2019/9/29 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
So you didn't let them in initially, they sent you a list of generic violations such as "inspect smoke detectors", then what?

You paid an electrician to inspect the smoke detectors, and sent them that? Did you later have to let them in to inspect? At that point they did they hit you with a bunch of other violations?

Very interested to hear other folks experiences, in order to judge the best way to handle this.

Robin.

Here's the scoop. Press release from the NJ DCA. Note the professional presentation of the date...

https://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/dfs/p ... arm%20press%20release.pdf

If you're at all interested in how the JC FD handles this stuff, read my posts about my interactions with them a few years ago. My old timer electrician - retired navy guy - explained it all for me when he said "you know it's your house they're after, don't you?" The FD was ratcheting up the fines for a violation that wasn't a violation in my circumstances, though it could have been under different conditions.

Posted on: 2019/9/29 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
Except if someone has seen a more recent ordinance, here is the ordinance that clearly states that 1 and 2 family houses are exempted as per $3-88.4 https://jerseycity.hosted.civiclive.co ... d%20%20No%20%2014-117.pdf

Oh, I wish.... True, only if the building is owner occupied. Here's a link to the detailed guidance Bulletin from the NJ Division of Fire Safety: https://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/dfs/a ... etins/fce_juri_2010-2.pdf

Posted on: 2019/9/29 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Except if someone has seen a more recent ordinance, here is the ordinance that clearly states that 1 and 2 family houses are exempted as per $3-88.4 https://jerseycity.hosted.civiclive.co ... d%20%20No%20%2014-117.pdf

Posted on: 2019/9/28 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
For those interested in being "Refuseniks", look up 1967 SCOTUS case Camara vs City of SF, where the court ruled if the city wanted in, they needed a warrant and could not arrest or fine someone for asserting their 4th Amendment right to privacy. Of course, the JC buildings dept has never heard of this.

Quote:

MDM wrote:
Originally it was just businesses that were getting hammered with increased licensing fees and multiple inspections (with registration fees, from multiple agencies, checking the same thing). Now every 3+ family building owner is getting nickle and dime to death.

Given that, it's crazy that the JCPD basically has waived off any traffic enforcement at all. We all know dozens of spots where they could literally be giving tickets as fast as they could write them! Lets not even get started on the low productivity of the Parking folks.

Posted on: 2019/9/27 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
So you didn't let them in initially, they sent you a list of generic violations such as "inspect smoke detectors", then what?

You paid an electrician to inspect the smoke detectors, and sent them that? Did you later have to let them in to inspect? At that point they did they hit you with a bunch of other violations?

Very interested to hear other folks experiences, in order to judge the best way to handle this.

Robin.

Posted on: 2019/9/27 16:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/25 19:36
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't let them in and I still received a violations list. I had to hire an electrician to test and sign off on smoke detectors, carbon monoxide, exit lights and emergency lights. They want you to have the 10 year life on smoke detectors and not the battery operated ones. Which means the electricians also charge for replacing older detectors and/or anything else they find.
I wasn't happy about it but they also say if you don't get it done you are subject to penalties of "up to $5,000 per violation per day".

I see the city is now asking to register 1-4 family homes with them as well. Had anyone done this? What is this about?

Quote:

MDM wrote:
I know someone who just refused to allow the inspection (which you can do). I am inclined to do the same at this point.

I am inspected by the state every 5 years
I get inspected by code enforcement every 5 years.
Now we have to also pay an electrician to inspect the smoke detectors and submit a report to the city.

Too much already.

The one item that has bothered me the most about the Fulop administration is that it seems this administration is now enforcing every ordinance on the book to raise $$$.. Ordinances that were ignored previously. (i.e. if you have a home security system, you have to register it for a fee).

Originally it was just businesses that were getting hammered with increased licensing fees and multiple inspections (with registration fees, from multiple agencies, checking the same thing). Now every 3+ family building owner is getting nickle and dime to death.

Posted on: 2019/9/27 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I know someone who just refused to allow the inspection (which you can do). I am inclined to do the same at this point.

I am inspected by the state every 5 years
I get inspected by code enforcement every 5 years.
Now we have to also pay an electrician to inspect the smoke detectors and submit a report to the city.

Too much already.

The one item that has bothered me the most about the Fulop administration is that it seems this administration is now enforcing every ordinance on the book to raise $$$.. Ordinances that were ignored previously. (i.e. if you have a home security system, you have to register it for a fee).

Posted on: 2019/9/27 12:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/25 19:36
Group:
Registered Users
They are looking for a check or money order: $135 payable to "City of Jersey City"
No cash

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Does anybody know what these clowns are looking for? Many years ago some firemen were not happy about my basement shelves with paper catalogs. I do think it's probably time to ditch them, but now I'm wondering about accelerants. I have more than 1/2 doz gallon cans of various thinners, some stored in a steel cabinet, though it's not exterior vented. And several gallons of lubricating oil. I can just imagine these guys going nuts!

Posted on: 2019/9/26 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Does anybody know what these clowns are looking for? Many years ago some firemen were not happy about my basement shelves with paper catalogs. I do think it's probably time to ditch them, but now I'm wondering about accelerants. I have more than 1/2 doz gallon cans of various thinners, some stored in a steel cabinet, though it's not exterior vented. And several gallons of lubricating oil. I can just imagine these guys going nuts!

Posted on: 2019/9/26 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
I just had a fire inspector knock on my door and ask to inspect inside my house, my wife refused and said we had received no notification, he said we should have received a letter, he will resend it and return some point in the future.

This is not the state DCA inspection for 3 units and above, this is something different that I have not heard of in my 13 years of owning and living in Jersey City.

Here is the leaflet he gave us:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Robin.

This is what gives - from a prior post of mine. Search my other posts for additional information. In my humble opinion, it amounts to little more than a shakedown for fees and fines, work for the local "fire safety contractors", and if you are unlucky, your property, all carefully disguised as a "Public Safety initiative." You can thank our asleep at the switch Council for the changes to the Ordinances that allowed this to happen.

"You might want to look at City Ordinance 14.117, passed September 2014, establishing the JC Fire Prevention Bureau. And also the New Jersey Administrative Code, Title 5, Chapters 70, 71, and the sub-chapters. These are the various regulations of the Uniform Fire Code the JC FPB will enforce."

Posted on: 2019/9/26 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a contact list for staffers in this department. I would inquire further:

https://www.cityofjerseycity.com/UserF ... ion/MEET%20THE%20STAFF%20(2).pdf

(You have to paste the full link)

Posted on: 2019/9/26 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I just had a fire inspector knock on my door and ask to inspect inside my house, my wife refused and said we had received no notification, he said we should have received a letter, he will resend it and return some point in the future.

This is not the state DCA inspection for 3 units and above, this is something different that I have not heard of in my 13 years of owning and living in Jersey City.

Here is the leaflet he gave us:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Robin.

Posted on: 2019/9/26 17:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I live in a four unit building, and apparently we received the original notice back in November, but haven't heard anything since. Is there any action we need to take, or are we just waiting for the inspectors to be ready to inspect our neighborhood?

Posted on: 2017/2/22 16:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 15:08
From JCNJ
Group:
Registered Users
Curious - Are there any exemptions, i.e., for smaller (2 or 3-unit) condos?

Posted on: 2017/2/19 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Do you have a backyard light?

No exterior violations. I have a high pressure sodium light on a photocell for the back (lights up the parking area).

Unfortunately, I got called into the office by my project manager so I wasn't there for the walk-thru. I am going to have to write to Dept. of Community Affairs to get an explanation.

I think one of the light 'violations' is for having a florescent tube light fixture in one apartment that doesn't have a cover. The tenant has never cared about it and it doesn't cause any harm. I can't get a cover for it (not made anymore), so I was planning to put in a new fixture when the tenant moves out. Looks like I might have to do that sooner.

The tile thing annoys me because now I have to replace it with tiles that won't match.

Posted on: 2017/2/19 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
My latest inspector had a thing for floors. I have ceramic floor tiles with hairline cracks (tenants dropping something heavy on the kitchen floor).
\

That's just nuts. There's places in this town that should be condemned, and they're fussing over that!! As for the lighting, that's why I try to be there at least for the 1st round, deciphering the report can be impossible. Do you have a backyard light?

Posted on: 2017/2/19 4:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My latest inspector had a thing for floors. I have ceramic floor tiles with hairline cracks (tenants dropping something heavy on the kitchen floor). Not broken tiles.. just cracks. I am now required to replace these tiles. The problem is, I long ago ran out of spare tiles.

That, and I got a bunch of "Repair or Replace means of egress lighting". I have no idea what the inspector is referring to. All the lights work in the hallways and apartments.

Posted on: 2017/2/18 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
My previous rounds of inspection went for the cover plates in the basement also. My last one a few weeks ago was pretty much smoke detectors, CO detectors, do the fire rated door springs close the door, etc... If I get an inspector that was looking and horrible shit hole buildings previously, they have commented at being pleasantly surprised when they get to one of mine. This has been less so since the housing has improved so dramatically in the past 15 years.

The only inspection I got hosed on was the state, after ruling differently over a decade earlier, decided I had to have a fire escape on my building. Turns out the original decision that it didn't need one was in error. This came at a time I was really short on funds. $23k later I had a fire escape.

Ouch, that's brutal. Guess I got off easy just having to put in a backyard light, paint the fire escape (needed it) and add a stupid handrail on a basement hatch. I also have had inspectors think my place was a condo it was in such nice condition!

Posted on: 2017/1/21 4:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
These "Green Card" inspections vary tremendously. I've had them just check that emergency lights and detectors are working, and I've had them come up with laundry lists of "violations" that have been that way for many decades of them inspecting.

I had one last year that had a trainee with her, it was brutal. She cited an outlet in ceiling of the unfinished basement that was missing a cover plate.

My previous rounds of inspection went for the cover plates in the basement also. My last one a few weeks ago was pretty much smoke detectors, CO detectors, do the fire rated door springs close the door, etc... If I get an inspector that was looking and horrible shit hole buildings previously, they have commented at being pleasantly surprised when they get to one of mine. This has been less so since the housing has improved so dramatically in the past 15 years.

The only inspection I got hosed on was the state, after ruling differently over a decade earlier, decided I had to have a fire escape on my building. Turns out the original decision that it didn't need one was in error. This came at a time I was really short on funds. $23k later I had a fire escape.

Posted on: 2017/1/20 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

zerogains wrote:
On my building in Paulus Hook (small 7 unit brownstone) and a larger building (150 Bay Street), I noticed State of NJ inspection notices that require entry to each unit. Anyone seen these before?

Seems intrusive, is it for fire safety? Anything I should be worried about?

This sounds like your 5-year state inspection for multiple dwellings (click on inspections). The same kind of inspection occurred recently in my condo. Someone from the condo association, maintenance and an inspector entered my unit, made sure items were up to code and we had proper detectors. They were in and out of my 2-bedroom unit in less than 10 minutes.

And for what it's worth, I felt like my dad was inspecting my bedroom to make sure it was clean when I was a kid. Intrusive? Yup. Necessary? Considering the way some people live in our building, oh yeah.

My building had this inspection last year since it is a large building the inspectors went to a few "representative units" on each floor and passed the building.

Posted on: 2017/1/20 21:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/23 15:23
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:

This sounds like your 5-year state inspection for multiple dwellings (click on inspections). The same kind of inspection occurred recently in my condo. Someone from the condo association, maintenance and an inspector entered my unit, made sure items were up to code and we had proper detectors. They were in and out of my 2-bedroom unit in less than 10 minutes.

And for what it's worth, I felt like my dad was inspecting my bedroom to make sure it was clean when I was a kid. Intrusive? Yup. Necessary? Considering the way some people live in our building, oh yeah.

Thanks for the link. Sounds like they can vary quite a bit in terms of strictness. I am currently doing renovations in a bathroom, needed to replace old cracked tile and some outlets that were neglected.

Posted on: 2017/1/20 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
These "Green Card" inspections vary tremendously. I've had them just check that emergency lights and detectors are working, and I've had them come up with laundry lists of "violations" that have been that way for many decades of them inspecting.

I had one last year that had a trainee with her, it was brutal. She cited an outlet in ceiling of the unfinished basement that was missing a cover plate.

Posted on: 2017/1/20 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zerogains wrote:
On my building in Paulus Hook (small 7 unit brownstone) and a larger building (150 Bay Street), I noticed State of NJ inspection notices that require entry to each unit. Anyone seen these before?

Posted on: 2017/1/19 22:59

Required in unit building inspection notices around 07302, what gives?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/23 15:23
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/1/19 22:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017