Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Just moved to mcginley square.. Was wondering about the area..
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/2 20:56
From Jersey City. Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
It's a 10 min walk to the Path at a fast pace or take one of the 2 or more bus routes. Also, Citibike has 2 stations in the area.

Posted on: 2016/4/24 8:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I was just in the area this afternoon. I love it there. There was a staged reading of Macbeth at St. Paul's church, and the woman organizing has scheduled readings of the entire folio of Shakespeare's works over the next three years. Afterwards I went to Carvao BBQ with a friend and we had some beers and bbq in a space with a very nice vibe.

It's a little far away from the PATH for my liking, but the residents of that area are really working to make it a nice scene and a nice place to live.

Posted on: 2016/4/24 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

thirstyquaker wrote:
Super dangerous. I saw a pack of wolves steal all the strollers outside the Coptic church the other day. There's also crowds of violent craft beer hooligans hanging out at McGinley Pub every day, stabbing anyone they see with a Budweiser. They have a big rivalry with the Yuengling gangs that hang out at Park Tavern.

Truth in jest or jest in truth ? It's all the same to me.

Sort of like "Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder"

Posted on: 2016/4/23 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thirstyquaker wrote:
Super dangerous. I saw a pack of wolves steal all the strollers outside the Coptic church the other day. There's also crowds of violent craft beer hooligans hanging out at McGinley Pub every day, stabbing anyone they see with a Budweiser. They have a big rivalry with the Yuengling gangs that hang out at Park Tavern.

Truth in jest or jest in truth ? It's all the same to me.

Posted on: 2016/4/23 21:39
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

You win the internet today sir!

Posted on: 2016/4/23 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/23 15:37

Summit&Montgomery
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/27 10:36
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
How is this area in terms of safety? Is this area considered McGinley Square?
Do you see gentrification happening in this area?

Posted on: 2016/4/22 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
I'll vouch for Alladin Lamps on Monticello. Mark has done a dozen or so projects for me over the years and does great work. Don't let the facade or motorcycles inside scare you, he does restoration for a lot of high end antique shops in Manhattan.

have you gone to him lately? how much do you think he'd charge, roughly, to rewire a multi-bulb hanging fixture? (not a chandelier)

I was in there about a week or so ago. It really depends on the type of wiring. It could be $50 or $150. However, I thought it was a lot less. I would suggest giving him a call. His number is on the website: http://www.aladdinlampco.com/

Posted on: 2014/3/18 14:14
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
I'll vouch for Alladin Lamps on Monticello. Mark has done a dozen or so projects for me over the years and does great work. Don't let the facade or motorcycles inside scare you, he does restoration for a lot of high end antique shops in Manhattan.

have you gone to him lately? how much do you think he'd charge, roughly, to rewire a multi-bulb hanging fixture? (not a chandelier)

Posted on: 2014/3/18 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
thanks for the history. There is great housing stock (victorians) and even some cool rowhouses scattered about. I agree that lack of PATH or Light Rail makes it a tougher sell. That said the layout is good with commercial strips walking distance - Monticello.

Not sure if any of the buses run to Grove Street or JSQ Path stations with any regularity but that would help. I did read about someone getting shot on Bergen during broad daylight not that long ago so the crime factor may also be a problem. Shame those deco buildings are slums now, my guess is some cool detail in those apartments...

The shops on Monticello aren?t exactly all that good. The best stuff in the area is Honey Bakery, Ed?s Salvage, Ola Empanada, Lee Sims Chocolate and Astor Bar. Key Food is relatively fine. The rest of it is just there. There was a sign up for a Wonder Bagel coming, but it?s since disappeared.

The walk to JSQ isn?t bad. You can also walk straight down Montgomery to get downtown and it doesn?t take too long.

I can?t say that I know much about the houses along that road. I only know the shops around it.

I don't think I'd walk down Montgomery to downtown at night even IF we had concealed carry.

I did it once, but the weather wasn?t the greatest so there were less people out. I wouldn?t really advise walking at night, but if it?s before 7, you shouldn?t have a problem.

Quote:

beam4972 wrote:
where is Ola empanada ??

It?s on Communipaw between Monticello and Bergen, directly across the street from KFC.

Quote:

mfadam wrote:

Will have to try the empanadas discussed below...

I agree on the quality of work there. The chandeliers are amazing.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 22:40
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users

Will have to try the empanadas discussed below...

Posted on: 2014/3/15 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jgl9802 wrote:
I commute from JSQ everyday and the walk isn't bad at all. In addition to the places below, check out Neidas Bakery on Bergen Avenue. They make great empanadas and Cuban sandwiches.

Thanks for the tip, I just picked up two Cubano's-$5.25 each, and they make them from scratch. Many places have them preassembled and then grill press them upon order. We just split one for an early lunch, quite good.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 15:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/19 20:11
Group:
Registered Users
I commute from JSQ everyday and the walk isn't bad at all. In addition to the places below, check out Neidas Bakery on Bergen Avenue. They make great empanadas and Cuban sandwiches.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
thanks for the history. There is great housing stock (victorians) and even some cool rowhouses scattered about. I agree that lack of PATH or Light Rail makes it a tougher sell. That said the layout is good with commercial strips walking distance - Monticello.

Not sure if any of the buses run to Grove Street or JSQ Path stations with any regularity but that would help. I did read about someone getting shot on Bergen during broad daylight not that long ago so the crime factor may also be a problem. Shame those deco buildings are slums now, my guess is some cool detail in those apartments...

The shops on Monticello aren?t exactly all that good. The best stuff in the area is Honey Bakery, Ed?s Salvage, Ola Empanada, Lee Sims Chocolate and Astor Bar. Key Food is relatively fine. The rest of it is just there. There was a sign up for a Wonder Bagel coming, but it?s since disappeared.

The walk to JSQ isn?t bad. You can also walk straight down Montgomery to get downtown and it doesn?t take too long.

I can?t say that I know much about the houses along that road. I only know the shops around it.

I don't think I'd walk down Montgomery to downtown at night even IF we had concealed carry.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 11:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/15 1:27
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
That said the layout is good with commercial strips walking distance - Monticello.

Here are list of shops within walking distance....

Aladdin Lamps 118 Monticello Avenue (201) 434-2869
Biddy's Place 136 Monticello Avenue (201) 435-7580
Cap Central 150 Monticello Avenue (201) 706-2018
G&R Food Market 110 Monticello Avenue 201-938-2800
Gilbert Mini Mart 26 Martin Luther King Drive
Hoisery & Things 503 MLK Jr. Drive (201) 333-9015
Hudson Furniter 225 Monticello Avenue 201-434-4384
Independent Beauty Supply Co. Inc. 93-97 Monticello Avenue (201) 333-3350
Independent Beauty Supply Co. Inc.(2)
Key Foods 113-115 Monticello Avenue (201) 706-4428
Khan 99 Cent Store 129 Monticello Avenue Jersey City, NJ 07304 201-993-7330
Manzo Uniform Company 190 Monticello Avenue (201) 333-3876
MTR Multi Service 159 Monticello Avenue 201-451-9639
New Mini Market 165 Monticello Avenue
New Mini Market #2 194 Monticello Avenue 201-433-0151
Teez & Things 181 Monticello Avenue (201) 333-4800
Words Work Christian Bookstore 130 Monticello Avenue (201) 433-6380

Its about a 10 min bike ride for me, but its plenty convenient.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/14 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
I wondered what the story on those Art Deco era apartment buildings was. Doesn't sound like time has served them well.

Back in the 1920s during the post '21 depression boom, that areas was really desirable to live. However, it was mostly large Victorian homes. Developers tore down those homes, replacing them with multi-unit apartments. The units were geared to the middle class who was more interested in working, getting ahead, and not wasting time maintaining a large home.

The area was heavily Jewish (I think there is still a Synagogue on Bergen). The building I own on Belmont were built for the people who provided domestic services for the people over in 'Doctor's Row' (i.e. Bentley Ave between West Side and JFK.

If you were a Hudson County power broker, you would often be seen socializing at the Fairmount Hotel. The infamous Frank Hauge apartment was very close to the Fairmount.

The area went the hell in the 60's and 70's. Those large apartment buildings are rent controlled. The only profitable away around rent control is to go Section 8, which is a major cash cow for slumlords.

Get rid of rent control and phase out Section 8, that area will come back. The only real downside is that public transport is pretty much bus service, which is inferior when compared to the light rail or the PATH.

Many block in that area were called Doctor's Row.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 14:40
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
I wondered what the story on those Art Deco era apartment buildings was. Doesn't sound like time has served them well.

Back in the 1920s during the post '21 depression boom, that areas was really desirable to live. However, it was mostly large Victorian homes. Developers tore down those homes, replacing them with multi-unit apartments. The units were geared to the middle class who was more interested in working, getting ahead, and not wasting time maintaining a large home.

The area was heavily Jewish (I think there is still a Synagogue on Bergen). The building I own on Belmont were built for the people who provided domestic services for the people over in 'Doctor's Row' (i.e. Bentley Ave between West Side and JFK.

If you were a Hudson County power broker, you would often be seen socializing at the Fairmount Hotel. The infamous Frank Hauge apartment was very close to the Fairmount.

The area went the hell in the 60's and 70's. Those large apartment buildings are rent controlled. The only profitable away around rent control is to go Section 8, which is a major cash cow for slumlords.

Get rid of rent control and phase out Section 8, that area will come back. The only real downside is that public transport is pretty much bus service, which is inferior when compared to the light rail or the PATH.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

I think McGinley Square has a ton of potential but don't know how entrenched the bad actors are in that area. Someone paid 800K+ for a single family rowhouse on Bergen Ave near Communipaw recently so someone was willing to pay up.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
The 1920's era multi-unit buildings = full of Section 8 = drugs, violence, people generally behaving horribly.

I have a property on Belmont Ave. Once the street hits those apartments, the neighborhood goes to hell.

It's a shame, those used to be top end middle class apartments.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 13:16

Just moved to mcginley square.. Was wondering about the area..

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/25 17:58
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I was specifically wondering about storms ave?? How safe is it?? It doesn't look friendly so far.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 12:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017