Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
60 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Provost Square
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/1 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
bump - any recent updates on Provost Square?

Posted on: 2018/1/24 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the link. Too bad it is not going to be a "square," but just sort of an awkward sliver of public space. If the City had been a little forward thinking, it could have bought up a parcel for such a park when the prices were still low.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
I was walking through WALDO or the Powerhouse district or whatever it is called now yesterday and I noticed one of the new apartment buildings was described as "...on Provost Square." Is the newly leveled block east of Provost to become a park? If so, that would be excellent and kudos to the city for pulling it off. If not, too bad. Does anyone know?

PADNAJC.org

http://www.padnajc.org/toll-brothers- ... -2-public-plaza-redesign/

Posted on: 2016/3/3 2:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Ever noticed that many of these lots seem designed to maximize darwinism and chaos? Why have the primary entrance lane cross right in front of the store where all the shoppers need to cross it to get in? Like most things, Costco does this better with the store typically at the back of the lot. Imagine that lot if the main entrance on Marin was next to BB&B instead.

Really interesting observation, and something of which I had never been conscious but which I have instinctively inferred. I often enter and depart that lot through 2nd Street, and it is probably due to the stress of dealing with the chaos of the Marin Blvd entrance. And, the same can be said of the Target parking lot. I always try to enter it from any of the side streets, which saves me from having to drive past the entrances. I guess I never put two and two together, but there is a definite stress trigger when using the entrances bringing you right past the entrances to the store.

Posted on: 2016/3/2 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Ever noticed that many of these lots seem designed to maximize darwinism and chaos? Why have the primary entrance lane cross right in front of the store where all the shoppers need to cross it to get in? Like most things, Costco does this better with the store typically at the back of the lot. Imagine that lot if the main entrance on Marin was next to BB&B instead.

Posted on: 2016/3/2 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Well the parking lot is going to be replaced with a parking deck, so that argument is moot. And your other complaint seem to be mostly about the patrons, and not the store itself. Which can't really be solved other than making it a Whole Foods so the "undesirable" type of customers don't go there.

On the whole it sounds like Shoprite itself is fine, you just hate the people that go there.

I don't agree. The parking lot terribleness is about the experience in and around it, which you are exposed to and entrenched in whether you are a pedestrian or a driver. If they put a deck in, you certainly wouldn't be exposed to it as a pedestrian, and if you're a driver, well...I guess you have to deal with a supermarket parking deck which I'm not even sure how that works? Like do you take the cart with you into the deck? Crazy. I know I'm a broken record on this topic, but putting a deck in there would be so silly seeing that there will be 25,000 people within a 3 minute walk of that store once that plot of land has all 13 skyscrapers on it.

My main complaints about the store itself, which has nothing to do with humans being terrible humans, is that it doesn't have anything that high in quality or that interesting. The depressing experience is an add-on. This is my opinion and my experience, others may have differing thoughts.

Posted on: 2016/3/2 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Well the parking lot is going to be replaced with a parking deck, so that argument is moot. And your other complaint seem to be mostly about the patrons, and not the store itself. Which can't really be solved other than making it a Whole Foods so the "undesirable" type of customers don't go there.

On the whole it sounds like Shoprite itself is fine, you just hate the people that go there.

Posted on: 2016/3/2 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I think people hate the ShopRite because of the lack of urban context (ie, a parking lot that is CRAZY), and just a depressing experience overall inside - it's just not a positive overall experience. There's also nothing particularly "good" about it, as a store - no real high quality stuff, nothing super interesting, etc.

A revamped ShopRite I think would be fine, as the ground floor of a high rise with no visible parking mayhem.

Pretty much everything you have said is 100% on point. The parking lot is a Mad Max chaos of aggressive drivers, panhandlers, loiterers bordering on nuisances, and errant shopping carts.

And, once you get inside, the place can be chaotic at times. The only redeeming quality of the place is that it has fairly good prices, with some real bargains when certain items are on sale. Otherwise, it is a veritable shit show.

What's the solution other than getting rid of the parking lot? Seems like it's just a bunch of shitty people acting shitty.

Posted on: 2016/3/1 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I think people hate the ShopRite because of the lack of urban context (ie, a parking lot that is CRAZY), and just a depressing experience overall inside - it's just not a positive overall experience. There's also nothing particularly "good" about it, as a store - no real high quality stuff, nothing super interesting, etc.

A revamped ShopRite I think would be fine, as the ground floor of a high rise with no visible parking mayhem.

Pretty much everything you have said is 100% on point. The parking lot is a Mad Max chaos of aggressive drivers, panhandlers, loiterers bordering on nuisances, and errant shopping carts.

And, once you get inside, the place can be chaotic at times. The only redeeming quality of the place is that it has fairly good prices, with some real bargains when certain items are on sale. Otherwise, it is a veritable shit show.

Posted on: 2016/3/1 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/1 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
I hope they fire that ShopRite into the sun.
I hope that Shoprite sticks around for many years to come. They're a pretty good supermarket and it's good to have some affordable options in town. I really can't figure out why so many people on this board hate the Shoprite.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
You are confusing developments. Provost Square is the three building development of which The Morgan is the first one. The Metro Park redevelopment is something else entirely.

Provost Square is NOT replacing the Powerhouse Arts District name/designation.
Oh, I had assumed that Provost Square was referencing the new park that was going to be built there.

Posted on: 2016/3/1 21:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/6 17:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

The current plans call for 13 towers to be erected, with most of the original street layout being restored.

Actually, before Metro Plaza (ShopRite) was built, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Streets did not exist east of Marin Blvd (Henderson St).

I'm an oldtimer and remember that area as a railroad yard connected to the 6th St Embankment.
It was called Harsimus Yards.
The old maps show it underwater in 1868, and a railroad yard in 1879.

One of the 1872 maps shows streets there, but those are "paper" streets, this 1872 map has landfilled areas, on the Hudson and Hackensack rivers with potential streets, some even under water.

Historical Hudson County Maps (Rutgers University)

Posted on: 2016/3/1 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I hope they fire that ShopRite into the sun.

Posted on: 2016/3/1 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:
What's going to happen to the Shoprite? It's not listed on the plan??

The entirety of Metro Plaza is being razed and redeveloped. The current plans call for 13 towers to be erected, with most of the original street layout being restored.

The developers will build a new supermarket space, and Shoprite will be given first negotiating rights.

With regards to the space/area mentioned by the OP (east of Provost) that is being redeveloped into a "square" with street retail and restaurants. There will be two more towers going up, as well, in total adding 500 condo units to the 425 rental units that already went up as The Morgan. The plans for Provost Square include a performance theater with a fairly large number of days guaranteed for community access/use.

Posted on: 2016/3/1 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:

Thread here:
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=33124

Posted on: 2016/3/1 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/1 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Yes it is, there will be a new park in the middle of the development on the Shoprite Metro Plaza lot. The new condos are trying to describe it as the "Provost Square" neighborhood which imo is kind of dumb. Powerhouse District is a perfectly fine name.

Resized Image

You are confusing developments. Provost Square is the three building development of which The Morgan is the first one. The Metro Park redevelopment is something else entirely.

Provost Square is NOT replacing the Powerhouse Arts District name/designation.

Posted on: 2016/3/1 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes it is, there will be a new park in the middle of the development on the Shoprite Metro Plaza lot. The new condos are trying to describe it as the "Provost Square" neighborhood which imo is kind of dumb. Powerhouse District is a perfectly fine name.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/3/1 15:22

Provost Square
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
I was walking through WALDO or the Powerhouse district or whatever it is called now yesterday and I noticed one of the new apartment buidlings was described as "...on Provost Square." Is the newly leveled block east of Provost to become a park? If so, that would be excellent and kudos to the city for pulling it off. If not, too bad. Does anyone know?

Posted on: 2016/3/1 15:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017