Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
161 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 19 »

Re: In case you missed the news.. major cooridinated Islamic terror attack in Paris
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Seems like the scared and cowering thumb suckers are running roughshod all over this thread with their paranoia.

I find it quite funny that taking in refugees is their new button push when it will take over a year before the refugees would come in after the process starts.

Just like the Ebola scare, there really isn't anything to it. It's just cowards acting like cowards because they aren't educated enough to know any better.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 12:33
Dos A Cero

Re: In case you missed the news.. major cooridinated Islamic terror attack in Paris

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/15 20:10
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I find it amazing that Obama believes that it is Russia and Iran that must change their tune on Assad, and not him. Is the guy (Obama) naive or a psycho? He should already realize that ISIS would never allow the Opposition to govern Syria; it would be another Libya, only worse.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/1 ... ria-idUSKCN0T80KP20151119

Posted on: 2015/11/19 11:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Bloomberg Poll: Most Americans Oppose Syrian Refugee Resettlement

By Margaret Talev
November 18, 2015 ? 2:23 PM EST

Americans agree with Republican presidential candidates on refugees, but are divided on whether to send U.S. troops to Iraq and Syria to fight the Islamic State, according to the poll.

Most Americans want the U.S. to stop letting in Syrian refugees amid fears of terrorist infiltrations after the Paris attacks, siding with Republican presidential candidates, governors, and lawmakers who want to freeze the Obama administration?s resettlement program.

The findings are part of a Bloomberg Politics national poll released Wednesday that also shows the nation divided on whether to send U.S. troops to Iraq and Syria to fight the Islamic State, an idea President Barack Obama opposes, and whether the U.S. government is doing enough to protect the homeland from a comparable attack.

Fifty-three percent of U.S. adults in the survey, conducted in the days immediately following the attacks, say the nation should not continue a program to resettle up to 10,000 Syrian refugees. Just 28 percent would keep the program with the screening process as it now exists, while 11 percent said they would favor a limited program to accept only Syrian Christians while excluding Muslims, a proposal Obama has dismissed as ?shameful? and un-American.

Resized Image

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/art ... rian-refugee-resettlement

Posted on: 2015/11/19 10:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
okay, so what about supporters of homegrown terrorists such as these, what should we do with them? they're probably Christians, should we deport them?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/us/ ... p-terror-threat.html?_r=0

Since Sept. 11, 2001, nearly twice as many people have been killed by white supremacists, antigovernment fanatics and other non-Muslim extremists than by radical Muslims

Posted on: 2015/11/19 5:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Also, talking about Europe, if you Google you'll see that not only have thousands of Muslims left to fight for ISIS, but some governments know how many have returned.

Why the hell are they allowed to roam free? They should be executed for treason. And they could easily come here to commit one of their massacres.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 5:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
While it would certainly be a nice surprise if everyone in this blog agreed with me and many others in this thread expressing similar opinions, it would ultimately be a novelty.

I have previously outlined what must be done, but the first thing is blocking the refugees from coming here, due to the increased terrorist risk.

The second, and probably more important thing, is to keep close tabs on mosques, and arrest or deport all of the radical preachers. If you google, you will find many well-known radical Islamic preachers who spread their hate, and this jihad/ anti-West ideology.

It is simply unacceptable that they are allowed to do this without consequence.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 5:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Okay, I understand your position. You're scared. It's okay to be scared. Is it the random violence you're worried about?

What would make you feel better? Would it make you feel better if everyone in this blog agreed with with you?

You want to feel safe? I could help you with that

Posted on: 2015/11/19 5:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Yeah, and they died living the life most Parisians live - happy carefree, good food, good wine, celebrating life.

And you? Spreading hate and ignorance and cowering under your bed in fear of Muslims.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Dude, my point is, I would rather die living my life free of fear and hatred, than to live in fear and hatred like you.

I'll take my chances which is probably at least 100,000 > 1

Given that France is a liberal country, I'm sure many of the terrorist victims felt the same way.

They aren't so "carefree" anymore. The other day a huge crowd of people fled in fear after someone set off firecrackers. I feel sorry for them.

And you and the other "progressives" who refuse to acknowledge the obvious link between Islam and terrorists are the ignorant ones. Even the Muslim King of Jordan admitted it.

Besides, I'm happy because Christie and the governors of more than 30 states, along with many Americans, have stood up for what's right.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 5:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, and they died living the life most Parisians live - happy carefree, good food, good wine, celebrating life.

And you? Spreading hate and ignorance and cowering under your bed in fear of Muslims.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Dude, my point is, I would rather die living my life free of fear and hatred, than to live in fear and hatred like you.

Given that France is a liberal country, I'm sure many of the terrorist victims felt the same way.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 5:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:

Posted on: 2015/11/19 5:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/19 5:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I believe you are indirectly supporting ISIS and terrorism by fighting to bring in the refugees. There will be plenty of good refugees, but there will be terrorists among them. It is going to lead to attacks here.

So you may not realize it, but this is what you are supporting.

Quote:

AlexC wrote:
I'm not supporting ISIS, they're a violent extremist organization that is planning to attack it's perceived enemies, one of which is the USA.

Being so fearful of anything really is counterproductive, whether it's spiders, heights or terrorists. Sure we must be prepared and vigilant (as I am), but fear-mongering is really cowardly and serves no purpose.

I really feel sorry for you and the rest of the fearful posters here.

You need a security blankie?

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Yeah, it's reprehensible and should be condemned, but being so fearful just seems, so, un-American, you know?

The chances of me getting tortured by ISIS is really very remote. But you seem to think it's inevitable. Maybe it's your fate.

Actually you've got it backwards. The way it works is you deserve to get what you support. Ever hear the phrase, you've made your bed, now lie in it?

As naive and dangerously deluded as many of the "progressives" are, I still would not wish for you to die in a terrorist attack. However, if it were to happen, you would be far more deserving of it than the innocent group who saw it coming, and was fighting to keep the terrorists out.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 5:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not supporting ISIS, they're a violent extremist organization that is planning to attack it's perceived enemies, one of which is the USA.

Being so fearful of anything really is counterproductive, whether it's spiders, heights or terrorists. Sure we must be prepared and vigilant (as I am), but fear-mongering is really cowardly and serves no purpose.

I really feel sorry for you and the rest of the fearful posters here.

You need a security blankie?

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Yeah, it's reprehensible and should be condemned, but being so fearful just seems, so, un-American, you know?

The chances of me getting tortured by ISIS is really very remote. But you seem to think it's inevitable. Maybe it's your fate.

Actually you've got it backwards. The way it works is you deserve to get what you support. Ever hear the phrase, you've made your bed, now lie in it?

As naive and dangerously deluded as many of the "progressives" are, I still would not wish for you to die in a terrorist attack. However, if it were to happen, you would be far more deserving of it than the innocent group who saw it coming, and was fighting to keep the terrorists out.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 4:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:

Posted on: 2015/11/19 4:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
The five Syrian men arrested in Honduras 'while attempting to travel to the U.S. using fake passports'

Five Syrian men attempting to travel to America using stolen Greek passports have been arrested in Honduras, according to police.
The men were detained in the capital city of Tegucigalpa this afternoon after it is believed they arrived at the city's Toncont?n International Airport.
According to authorities, the group arrived from Costa Rica and had been planning to make their way to the border with neighboring Guatemala.

CNN reports the group had been heading for San Pedro Sula, a city close to the border, where there is a known route used by South American immigrants to get to the United States.
The men were arrested after security personnel noticed they were using stolen Greek passports that had been doctored to replace the pictures with the Syrian men's faces.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic ... ce-say.html#ixzz3ruLJKV3d

Posted on: 2015/11/19 4:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:
@AlexC You can't stomach what happened in Paris? (READ THE THREAD)
Looks like you are the one who is scared. LOL!

I survived 9/11 working at the WTC. At least I didn't heave ho outta the tri-state are like so many people did.

Anyhoo, getting back on topic...
Paris: Terrified Cafe Patrons Dive For Cover As Terrorist Opens Fire ? Watch
So scary! This is the most chilling video yet to come out of the Paris terrorist attacks on Nov. 13. The security camera of a cafe sprayed by bullets captured the entire event as it unfolded, as patrons dive behind counters and tables while those outside run for their lives.
This video is truly terrifying! A series of closed circuit TV cameras shows customers and staff at Paris cafe ducking for cover while a terrorist gunman opens fire on the establishment from outside. A hail of bullets shatters the glass and the chaos begins, with everyone seizing on their best survival instincts to avoid being hit. One merciful thing happens when the gunman?s assault rifle appears to malfunction, saving the life of a woman he was about to shoot at point-blank range, as well as the patrons who were hiding inside the cafe.

In a video obtained by the Daily Mail, the glass windows of the cafe shatter under a hail of bullets. An injured woman then runs through the front door holding her left wrist and takes cover behind the bar, while man coming in behind her immediately throws himself to the ground. A female bartender who also ducked behind the bar takes comfort over the injured woman. It?s warmth among complete chaos!

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/11/18/p ... rrorist-gunman-customers/

Posted on: 2015/11/19 4:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:

I survived 9/11 working at the WTC. At least I didn't heave ho outta the tri-state are like so many people did.

So scary! This is the most chilling video yet to come out of the Paris terrorist attacks on Nov. 13. The security camera of a cafe sprayed by bullets captured the entire event as it unfolded, as patrons dive behind counters and tables while those outside run for their lives.
This video is truly terrifying! A series of closed circuit TV cameras shows customers and staff at Paris cafe ducking for cover while a terrorist gunman opens fire on the establishment from outside. A hail of bullets shatters the glass and the chaos begins, with everyone seizing on their best survival instincts to avoid being hit. One merciful thing happens when the gunman?s assault rifle appears to malfunction, saving the life of a woman he was about to shoot at point-blank range, as well as the patrons who were hiding inside the cafe.

In a video obtained by the Daily Mail, the glass windows of the cafe shatter under a hail of bullets. An injured woman then runs through the front door holding her left wrist and takes cover behind the bar, while man coming in behind her immediately throws himself to the ground. A female bartender who also ducked behind the bar takes comfort over the injured woman. It?s warmth among complete chaos!

Like I said to you, even if this happens to some of the delusional moron "progressives" who post in this thread, they still wouldn't wake up. They are hopelessly brainwashed. But luckily, many Americans are sane and still have common sense.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 4:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Third Street, I took that tone with you due to your false statement saying: "By all means continue posting sensationalist nonsense and I'll be happy to counter with actual data."

Calling the author's work "sensationalist nonsense" along with your usage of "contradicts" certainly means that you think you know more than the author. You don't always have to explicitly state something to gather the meaning.

Now that you seem to have dialed back a bit, I will as well.

Looking at the posted article, it shows that many ISIS supporters claim to be tweeting from the United States. Combine this with the study's opinion that "We are reasonably certain some ISIS supporters deceptively listed locations in the United States in order to create the appearance of a homeland threat."

When you do, the conclusion is clear that while some ISIS supporters are probably lying (and we know that 1.5% are), most are not. Otherwise the study authors would have used a different word, such as "all" or "most."

Independently this can be corroborated by the links that others are posting in this thread also showing that many ISIS supporters are in the US, such as CNN's Blindsighted report that has been discussed.

Regarding the refugees, you are aware that the "T" in "TANF" stands for "temporary," right? So the best you can do is compare refugee employment stats to a temporary program for US residents? What is the long term employment status for these refugees? Because we are starting from a shit point, where half do not find a job in the first year.

As for the conclusion that this will lead to a lot of pissed off Muslims, that is an inference. You admitted that much support is based on them finding and keeping a job. If only half can find employment in the first year, and we don't know what happens after, sounds like we will have refugees who will either become wards of the state or homeless. Maybe you wouldn't be pissed off in that situation but many would. Not a great idea to bring in boatloads of Muslims, who have a long history of committing jihad, and putting them in this situation.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/19 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's okay, you don't have to be so scared. The chances an ISIS terrorist doing this to you is about the same as winning the lottery. I feel so sorry that you are terrified.

Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:
British survivor of Eagles of Death Metal concert tells how ISIS terrorists 'tortured wounded victims by slitting their stomachs with knives'

ISIS gunmen used knives to torture their mortally wounded victims by slitting their stomachs as they lay on the floor, it has been claimed.

An eyewitness who hid in a cellar for three hours as the armed murderers rampaged through the packed Bataclan Theatre in Paris said she knew people were being tortured because she could hear their screams.

Mariesha Payne, from Perthshire, told the Daily Mail: "We knew people were being tortured in the theatre because we heard people screaming, but they were not being shot and these were singular screams.

"When we escaped a man trapped on the level where it happened said to us the terrorists were stabbing people in the stomach. We were told they were throwing explosives at people. It was a horrendous ordeal."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-ne ... 245#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Posted on: 2015/11/19 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
British survivor of Eagles of Death Metal concert tells how ISIS terrorists 'tortured wounded victims by slitting their stomachs with knives'

ISIS gunmen used knives to torture their mortally wounded victims by slitting their stomachs as they lay on the floor, it has been claimed.

An eyewitness who hid in a cellar for three hours as the armed murderers rampaged through the packed Bataclan Theatre in Paris said she knew people were being tortured because she could hear their screams.

Mariesha Payne, from Perthshire, told the Daily Mail: "We knew people were being tortured in the theatre because we heard people screaming, but they were not being shot and these were singular screams.

"When we escaped a man trapped on the level where it happened said to us the terrorists were stabbing people in the stomach. We were told they were throwing explosives at people. It was a horrendous ordeal."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-ne ... 245#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Posted on: 2015/11/19 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

http://www.salon.com/2015/11/18/this_ ... dominated_by_racism_rage/

For the right, the Paris attacks did not foster solidarity but rather a macabre gloating: their paranoid creed that refugees and migrants invite death and destruction has supposedly been vindicated. The idea is a Fortress America defended with high walls and lethal air strikes. Keep migrants and refugees out; run sorties without regard for civilian casualties.

Conservative politics is plumbing new depths of hysteria because the world is indeed spinning out of control. The worse things get, the more dangerous right-wing explanations become.

Bitterness is cresting as militants emerge out of destroyed rogue states to simultaneously wage conventional warfare and asymmetric terrorism. Wounded soldiers see the cities they bled to ?liberate? fall to ISIS control; they are told, in a tinny post-Vietnam echo, not that they fought for a bad war but that Obama sold them out by withdrawing troops. We?ve been stabbed in the back: domestic traitors open the door to foreign enemies.

Xenophobia is a critical feature of white supremacy in the United States. And white supremacy is at the root of the right-wing explanation of ?what is wrong with America.? Most critically, racism is the right?s only explanation for the economic crisis because immigrants must take the blame for low wages?at least if the corporations that shipped jobs overseas and crushed unions are to be spared public opprobrium. This year, the national security threat and the economic peril posed by foreigners has morphed into a singular menace.

America, as Trump says, never wins anymore. That?s true. The question is who to blame. The political fight is over how to explain what?s gone wrong. White supremacy is how the right displaces people?s anger from the wealthy. The only substitute for bigotry and violence is solidarity.

Racism is resilient and adaptable. The Ku Klux Klan was founded in the wake of the Civil War to defeat Reconstruction and reimpose black subjugation. A second iteration of the Klan boomed in the 1920s, attacking foreigners, Catholics and Jews. In France, National Front party, with clear roots in Nazi sympathy, has jettisoned its traditional anti-Semitism in favor of Islamophobia, more palatable to the contemporary European mindset. Today, unrepentant white supremacists in the United States have hailed the nativist turn in domestic politics as a vehicle to advance and mainstream a brazenly racist political agenda. But many conservatives have also flocked to Ben Carson. He is a bigot who by virtue of being black offers them absolution, as Jelani Cobb argues.

?That the party responsible for the Southern strategy, the racist populism of the Reagan era, and the current age of voter suppression can count a black neurosurgeon among its most popular Presidential candidate is in itself a form of vaccination against charges of racism,? Cobb writes.

White racism against black people remains the central feature of American white supremacy but it prevails most forcefully in the structural racism that produces second-class school systems, economic marginalization and mass incarceration. Acknowledged bigotry against black people, however, has become disallowed in the political mainstream thanks to centuries of black struggle.

American racism, however, cannot do without some embodied evil. Mexicans and Arabs fulfill a role that black bodies can no longer so brazenly play in the iconography of American white supremacy. The hatred of Mexicans and Muslims is the permitted public expression of that same white racist order?and legitimates it. Note that Obama is more often called a Kenyan or a Muslim than he is a certain verboten anti-black slur.

The possibility that one of the Paris attackers was a Syrian who hid himself amongst the refugee tide now justifies closing borders in Europe, and in the United States. One Republican governor after another announces that Syrians are not welcome, and demands that cities turn their own police forces against Mexican residents.

That single potential Syrian attacker has received more media attention than the fact that most of the attackers appear to be French. The refugee flow to be worried about is that of ISIS recruits fleeing a second-class life in Europe, who then wreak terror upon an imaginary homeland inhabited by real people who want nothing to do with a fantastical and cruel caliphate.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The vetting process for Syrian refugees takes about 1.5 -2 Years. If you were a terrorist thinking of going to the US, this would take too long and expose you to multiple interviews, clearance from various agencies such as:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/16/politic ... u-s-applicants-explainer/

Several federal agencies, including the State Department, the Department of Homeland Security, the Defense Department, the National Counterterrorism Center and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, are involved in the process, which Deputy State Department Spokesman Mark Toner recently called, "the most stringent security process for anyone entering the United States."

Posted on: 2015/11/19 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I can't tell if you're being serious. First, regarding the refugees, I already explained how the table contradicted your rosy picture about refugee employment in my previous response to you. Go look it up if you are confused.

Also the data you just posted shows an "entered employment" rate of roughly 50%. I'm not sure if this equates to an employment rate, but if so its terrible.

Yes, that's exactly what the data shows. And the data in the report shows that the per state employment rates average single to double digit percentage points higher than TANF eligible individuals and employees. That means that refugees are, in their first year in a new country, entering employment at a higher rate than the American citizens receiving TANF benefits. This is a reasonable cohort as those receiving these benefits are typically lacking in formal education and can be compared to a refugee for whom English is typically a second language.

Additionally, your counterpoint to this was strictly your opinion. You stated that this will lead to "a lot of pissed off Muslims." There is no data that you have thus far provided that can back up your opinion.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Regarding your response to the ISIS supporter graph, do you see how foolish you were to highlight a section basically stating that of 1.5% of the sample, none were in the U.S.? Wow, good thing we have an additional 98.5% to be included on the graph!

Yes, this is unfortunate. But, these are percentages. Percentages of a subset from a sample of data are by mathematical definition representative of the entire sample set. As that percentage increases, the accuracy of that subset increases. We are unfortunately left with just 1.5%. So, while that 1.5% is very small, it still delivers data that 0 of the subset were actually in the U.S.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
More importantly, you have utterly failed to show you know more than the author, who you said makes claims "contradicted" by the source data. Your latest response is a fancy way of reiterating the study authors' opinion that: "We are reasonably certain some ISIS supporters deceptively listed locations in the United States in order to create the appearance of a homeland threat."

Yes, some probably did. But some is not a lot. The article and graph remain informative.

But try again next time!

I have never claimed to know more than the author. Re-reading, instead of "contradicts" I could have said "provides much more context to and removes the sensational of the nature of the graph when provided in isolation."

Posted on: 2015/11/19 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I can't tell if you're being serious. First, regarding the refugees, I already explained how the table contradicted your rosy picture about refugee employment in my previous response to you. Go look it up if you are confused.

Also the data you just posted shows an "entered employment" rate of roughly 50%. I'm not sure if this equates to an employment rate, but if so it's terrible.

Bringing in boatloads of Muslim refugees where half of them won't be able to find jobs = a lot of pissed off Muslims.

Regarding your response to the ISIS supporter graph, do you see how foolish you were to highlight a section basically stating that of 1.5% of the sample, none were in the U.S.? Wow, good thing we have an additional 98.5% to be included on the graph!

More importantly, you have utterly failed to show you know more than the author, who you said makes claims "contradicted" by the source data. Your latest response is a fancy way of reiterating the study authors' opinion that: "We are reasonably certain some ISIS supporters deceptively listed locations in the United States in order to create the appearance of a homeland threat."

Yes, some probably did. But some is not a lot. The article and graph remain informative.

But try again next time!

Posted on: 2015/11/19 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Oh, look. The King of cherry picking data is back. Cute how you think you know more than the article writer. You aren't embarrassed from posting a link which completely contradicted your claims about refugee employment and showed that many states had refugee unemployment above 40% with some above 80%?

Very well.

I see that you're back at it again. From your wall of text, you bolded the wrong part. Here's the part that matters:

"Unsurprisingly, very few users in the dataset opted
to enable coordinates; the number who did was surprisingly
high given the operational security implications.
Confirmed ISIS supporters used location
services less frequently than non ISIS-supporting,
typical users, but not dramatically less.
Out of the 20,000 users in the Demographics Dataset,
292 had enabled location on at least one tweet
out of their last 200, or 1.5 percent.
"

In other words, of this very small group of 1.5% of the sample, none were in the U.S. That does not "contradict" the informative graph contained in the article at all. Especially when the graph is titled "claims."

The article also says this data "paints a rough picture of where in the world ISIS is finding recruitment." That is perfectly in line with your second bolded quote, where the researchers say "some" ISIS supporters claim the U.S. to be deceiving. If the article said the graph tells us with absolute certainty, only then would you have a point.

Sorry, try again.

I don't understand the data points which you think I would be embarrassed by.

Here's a copy of the summary data table showing employment rates within the first year and 90 day retention rates. Employment rates and retention rates are all rising. What I also mentioned, which is available in the full report, is that refugee employment rates compared favorably to employment rates for TANF receiving individuals and families in almost every state.

National Refugee AOGP Employment Outcomes (FY 2008 ? FY 2012)
FY 2008 FY 2009 FY 2010 FY 2011 FY 2012
Employment Caseload (#) 76,032 91,957 95,661 81,662 78,738
Entered Employment Rate (%) 49 40 42 50 53
Cash Assistance Termination Rate (%)* 44 52 49 52 49
Cash Assistance Reduction Rate (%)* 11 12 13 14 15
Employment Retention Rate (%) 76 69 73 74 75
Available Health Benefits Rate (%) 63 61 60 61 62
Average Hourly Wage ($) 8.82 9.02 9.08 8.92 9.27

Quote:
JCMan8 wrote:
In other words, of this very small group of 1.5% of the sample, none were in the U.S. That does not "contradict" the informative graph contained in the article at all. Especially when the graph is titled "claims."

This is supplemental data that says there is no way to say with certainty that any of the tweets came from within the United States. But you're right, I probably should have highlighted the entirety of the second section. What this makes clear is that the algorithm used to determine location lumped generic terms like "Earth" and "everywhere" into the category labeled "United States" in the chart in the article linked. This means that category is less credible.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Like i've been saying many posts ago y'all have to watch Fareed Zakaria's CNN Blindsided. It was said by German Journalist that there are a lot of Americans who joined and most are in New Jersey!

" CNN?s Fareed Zakaria explores the origins of the terror group known as Islamic State or ?ISIS? for a rare inside look into the heart of darkness, and an examination of how and when the U.S. came to know about ISIS. The one-hour special, Blindsided: How ISIS Shook the World, will premiere Monday, May 11 at 9:00pm and 12:00am Eastern on CNN/U.S.. Blindsided will air on Monday, May 11 at 9:00pm and on Tuesday, May 12 at 7:00am and 5:00pm Eastern on CNN International.

Despite the terrible beheadings of journalists, German journalist Jurgen Todenhofer crossed the border into Mosul, Iraq, in 2014. In rare footage, Todenhofer shows what life is like in ISIS-held territory. ISIS governance is both frightening and mundane ? including ISIS-issued license plates, parking tickets, and other trappings of everyday life."

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/201 ... orld-for-monday-april-27/

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
looks like isis has many supporters in the us.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the- ... -in-two-charts-2015-11-18

Posted on: 2015/11/19 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, look. The King of cherry picking data is back. Cute how you think you know more than the article writer. You aren't embarrassed from posting a link which completely contradicted your claims about refugee employment and showed that many states had refugee unemployment above 40% with some above 80%?

Very well.

I see that you're back at it again. From your wall of text, you bolded the wrong part. Here's the part that matters:

"Unsurprisingly, very few users in the dataset opted
out of their last 200, or 1.5 percent.
"

The article also says this data "paints a rough picture of where in the world ISIS is finding recruitment." That is perfectly in line with your second bolded quote, where the researchers say "some" ISIS supporters claim the U.S. to be deceiving. If the article said the graph tells us with absolute certainty, only then would you have a point.

Sorry, try again.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
looks like some more countries are banning the burqa!

http://news.yahoo.com/senegal-debates ... ed-islamic-222606992.html

Posted on: 2015/11/19 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
looks like isis has many supporters in the us.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the- ... -in-two-charts-2015-11-18

It's clear some are on this thread.

Again, not reading the actual source data that contradicts the cherry-picked graph from the report.

By all means continue posting sensationalist nonsense and I'll be happy to counter with actual data.

Here's the actual Brookings report.

Some highlights on the methodology and caveats to the location data:

From page 11-
"Using open source means, the only totally reliable
method of geo-locating users is to obtain coordinates
provided when a user has enabled the location
feature on his or her smartphone (usually resolving
to a GPS signal or a cell phone tower). We
analyzed only the most recent coordinate provided
by each user.

Unsurprisingly, very few users in the dataset opted
out of their last 200, or 1.5 percent...

...The largest cluster of location-enabled accounts
(28 percent) was found in Iraq and Syria, mostly in
areas either controlled or contested by ISIS. More
than twice as many users reported coordinates in
Syria than Iraq. The next most common location
was Saudi Arabia, with 27 percent. After Syria,
Iraq, and Saudi Arabia, no single country represented
more than 6 percent of the total.
None of the location-enabled users were based in
the United States; Western countries showed only
single-digit totals (e.g., three accounts in France;
two in Brazil; on in the United Kingdom; one in
Australia; one in Belgium).
"

Pg 12 -
"Aside from location-enabled data and the content
of tweets?deemed too noisy to be reliable?users
can provide information about their location in the
following formats:
? The ?location? field on their Twitter profile. Users
can enter several words in the field with no restriction
on content; for example, they can offer
jokes or non-relevant information.
? Time zone: Users can select whatever time zone
they want. Because the selected time zone influences
the time of tweets appear on a user?s timeline,
there is motivation to enter it correctly, although
many users do not.
? The ?Bio? field in their Twitter profile, where users
can write 160 characters of descriptive text on whatever
subject they like, usually about themselves"

"Since locations are free-form text fields, we used a
third-party algorithm to resolve entries to the country
level. The list of locations that resolved to the
United States was extremely noisy, including entries
such as ?Earth,? ?everywhere,? ?in the kitchen making
a sandwich,? and ?wherever the plane?s taking
me.? However, some American cities were specified,
primarily New York and Washington, D.C.
Most locations could not be verified, and none of
the location-enabled users were based in the United
States. We are reasonably certain some ISIS supporters
deceptively listed locations in the United States in
order to create the appearance of a homeland threat.
"

Posted on: 2015/11/19 1:38

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 19 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017