Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Korean restaurant
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/8 23:34
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
There is another thread discussing Ahris Restaurant, in case you didn't find on the topic list:

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32596

Posted on: 2015/4/29 20:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 0:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blankslate79 wrote:
Looking forward to trying Ahris. Its always great to have a new addition to the neighborhood.

Kraverie and Bon Chon are both great spots and each has it's own style. I don't think they can really be compared... Be cool to competitors and new neighbors.

Good Luck!

Thank you for bumping this up to the top! Totally reminds us why we decided to take the plunge in the first place.
See you soon!

Posted on: 2015/4/29 19:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/2 2:38
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Looking forward to trying Ahris. Its always great to have a new addition to the neighborhood.

Kraverie and Bon Chon are both great spots and each has it's own style. I don't think they can really be compared... Be cool to competitors and new neighbors.

Good Luck!

Posted on: 2015/4/29 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a big proponent of small business/buying local; so yes, your being in Jersey City (living and working) and family run is a big plus for me. Will be sure to bring my friends and be a patron of the place. Congratulations and good luck!!

Posted on: 2014/8/4 21:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Will definitely be there getting my Korean fix on. Not a far walk for me. Will you have korean bbq where you can do it at your own table? I go to a place in the vicinity of former Worldwide Plaza/Hell's Kitchen that has that.

I've thought about that (a lot...maybe too much) but I figure the $$$ necessary to set up a vent and bbq at each table would be better served in quality ingredients. And that's not just a catchphrase. Plus the permits required...I can't imagine the time it would take to get them. And lastly, that would make the focus on Korean barbecue; we will have korean barbecue, but a lot of other korean dishes as well!

Oh! And another thing we have going for us: We will be family owned/operated, and actually live and work primarily in Jersey city, not the huge multimillion dollar partnerships coming in from Brooklyn to cash in on your 'cool'. I don't know if that's something to harp on or if people would care about something like that but it's a thing.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Will definitely be there getting my Korean fix on. Not a far walk for me. Will you have korean bbq where you can do it at your own table? I go to a place in the vicinity of former Worldwide Plaza/Hell's Kitchen that has that.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 20:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Where will you be located? Are you doing a kickstarter which gives patrons/benefactors a perk?

I'm loath to give details until the lease is signed, which should be by 8/15. We've picked a name, and I'll give out details to the restaurant at that time. I'll make a new fancy thread formally introducing ourselves at that time as well.
We will be in the Hamilton Park area. I hope you can make it.

As far as the Kickstarter, perks are there, at a couple of different price points. As a matter of fact, the Kickstarter is all typed up, and I am just waiting on the signing of the lease...

Wish us luck, I hope to see you all in the winter 12/14.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

I honestly don't care how they spell it. I got interested in Korean culture through watching Korean Dramas. I have picked up a few words(my Korean friends say my pronunciation is extremely good) and even have cooked Ddukbokki/Tteokbokki. Heck, I am addicted to Gochujang!

Just make the food delicious and rightly priced and no one is going to care about the spelling.

I can't wait for you guys to open. An-nyeong Hi-ga-se-yo.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 21:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/24 13:16
Group:
Registered Users
And don't forget about the Naengmyeon, my favorite dish. Well, maybe include it in the summer menu atleast...

And agree on the Korean to English translation thing. Frustrating that no one can agree on the spelling.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Where will you be located? Are you doing a kickstarter which gives patrons/benefactors a perk? My freshman year roommate was Korean and fell in love with the cuisine instantaneously.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 17:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yoohoo wrote:
Quote:

icecreamarsenal wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Wait... what about Bon Chon and Kraverie? All those bergen towns have korean fried chicken places too. Theres a reason for that.

so wanted to love Bon Chon, but it's just too much buck for the bang.

do adore Kraverie, but when I crave Korean, it's not a Korean crepe I'm thinking about.

^ This sums up why I wanted to open up the place. I considered buying the bonchon space but the price is prohibitively expensive. It is for sale, btw.

Kim bab, japchae, tofu stews, kalbi marinated short ribs, bulgogi over rice, pajeon, kimchi you can buy and take home, and more, all to come soon.

Oh, and turns out our Korean chef can whip up some kick-ass ramen as well.

This would be amazing. I've always wondered why there was never a Korean option here in jc considering the growing korean population here (not that only Koreans would be frequenting the restaurant, the Vietnamese place on 10th is always packed!)

Also psyched that you'll be opening up a space in the hamilton park area seeing as how I just moved to the area not long ago. :)

May I inquire as to how big the space will be? If the space is big enough, I would love to see a little take out counter where you guys can display and sell prepared dishes like kimbab and various sides. There's a place in Manhattan (23rd st) called kofoo that I used to always run into to grab some kimbab. The place is nothing fancy, but it's pretty tasty and affordable.

That's the direction we're going in. We'll have a take out counter, as well as seating for ~26, and hopefully some good delivery volume.
The takeout counter will have kimbab and homemade kimchi to take home.
My wife always used to go to kofoo when she worked/lived/went to school in that area. She took me one time just for the kimbab; it was good.

Ddukbokki veggie/seafood will be coming, as well as a really good japchae.

Now that I'm typing these korean words out in English, wish there was a better way; it doesn't translate well, or in a familiar way to the primarily English speaker, e.g. 'miyukgook: seaweed soup'. Hmm what to do.

Anyway, the food is top notch and we're whipping up all the final dishes now!

Posted on: 2014/7/29 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
a really good Japchae would go a long way

Posted on: 2014/7/28 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Oh please, oh please include a veggie or seafood version of Tteokbokki!

Posted on: 2014/7/21 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
You should build up a customer base by having a cart or table at the farmers market/groove on grove.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 17:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/10 18:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yes definitely! My husband and I love Korean food.

[Also, please consider opening in McGinley/Journal Square :) We're frustrated by how few restaurants are here, even with the sizable commuter population everyday on the Path. There is a growing population of professionals here who don't shop at dollar stores and 7-elevens.]

Best of luck with your venture, and let us know if you open something!

Posted on: 2014/7/18 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yoohoo wrote:
I would love to see a little take out counter where you guys can display and sell prepared dishes like kimbab and various sides. There's a place in Manhattan (23rd st) called kofoo that I used to always run into to grab some kimbab. The place is nothing fancy, but it's pretty tasty and affordable.

I think that's going to be the direction of the restaurant at first.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 11:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/24 13:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icecreamarsenal wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Wait... what about Bon Chon and Kraverie? All those bergen towns have korean fried chicken places too. Theres a reason for that.

do adore Kraverie, but when I crave Korean, it's not a Korean crepe I'm thinking about.

^ This sums up why I wanted to open up the place. I considered buying the bonchon space but the price is prohibitively expensive. It is for sale, btw.

Kim bab, japchae, tofu stews, kalbi marinated short ribs, bulgogi over rice, pajeon, kimchi you can buy and take home, and more, all to come soon.

This would be amazing. I've always wondered why there was never a Korean option here in jc considering the growing korean population here (not that only Koreans would be frequenting the restaurant, the Vietnamese place on 10th is always packed!)

Also psyched that you'll be opening up a space in the hamilton park area seeing as how I just moved to the area not long ago. :)

May I inquire as to how big the space will be? If the space is big enough, I would love to see a little take out counter where you guys can display and sell prepared dishes like kimbab and various sides. There's a place in Manhattan (23rd st) called kofoo that I used to always run into to grab some kimbab. The place is nothing fancy, but it's pretty tasty and affordable.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I'm way too excited for this. Wish you the best of luck and look forward to contributing to the Kickstarter!

Posted on: 2014/7/17 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
I think JC is lacking in authentic Korean and Chinese. We usually go to Fort Lee to get Korean and that's a pain. There also is a Korean buffet in Edison (or is it actually Piscataway?) that's good too. The only thing is, Korean food is expensive so we probably wouldn't frequent it regularly.

Kraverie is only OK. It's not really Korean.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 14:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/16 19:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
It would be nice to have something like Dong Bang grill in Fort Lee, with a kick -ass staff of Korean women making your Galbi and Bulgogi on the table.

That would be the ideal. If you can get close to that, it'll definitely prosper.

I'd switch my family of 5 eating Sushi every week to alternating between the two.

I won't be able to get close to that. The food will be similar and very good, but having vents at every table? It would take years, if only for permits and approval.

Finally in the lease-signing phase. I will be glad to put up some more information when the lease is signed; it will be in the Hamilton Park area.
The chef is from Korea, and has been a chef there for many years.
Kickstarter to come soon.

Posted on: 2014/7/16 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icecreamarsenal wrote:
Quote:

matt07302 wrote:
I would love to have a BCD Tofu House move to JC.

You like chains because the level of the food is consistently good? Or is it that you know what you're getting? As above, don't get offended, I'm just curious.

Just to give my local impressions...
For the local tofu house i like So Kong Dong in Fort Lee. A good lunch spot on my trip to Whole Foods.
For BBQ So Mon Nan Jip. This place puts a tray of burning charcoal in your table (no gas). You will smell like BBQ for a season.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icecreamarsenal wrote:
Quote:

matt07302 wrote:

You like chains because the level of the food is consistently good? Or is it that you know what you're getting? As above, don't get offended, I'm just curious.

In general I'm not a fan of chain restaurants because they are usually consistently bad. I have only frequented one BCD, the one located on Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles and it was good, and it was cheap. A winning combo that kept us going back over and over. There were a few other Korean options on our short list in LA's KTown that got our business and BCD was on it as a great stop for lunch or late night meal. It didn't matter to me that they had other locations and for years I didn't even know. I just think a place like BCD (or a mom and pop version of) would do well in JC, very well. That was basically it.

On the dinner list we often went to Kobawoo House and for the fancy stuff Chosun Galbee. Just in case you were curious.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 0:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
most ideal place would not be in Downtown but Newport area.. since tons of Korean internationals live there attending NYU etc. Also, a real authentic Dim Sum place would rock in Newport as well.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It would be nice to have something like Dong Bang grill in Fort Lee, with a kick -ass staff of Korean women making your Galbi and Bulgogi on the table.

That would be the ideal. If you can get close to that, it'll definitely prosper.

I'd switch my family of 5 eating Sushi every week to alternating between the two.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 21:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

matt07302 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/2 21:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:

Really? Have you walked around Leonia, Pal Park, or Fort Lee? Walk around those towns then walk around Jersey City. That is why there are so many Korean restaurants there. Its that simple.

There are lots of those in Newport.

But I definitely would go to the Korean Restaurant all the time if it was good. That place on the West Side was pretty bad... but I still went there probably once a month.

The majority population of those towns is Korean. A tiny section of Jersey city with a few Korean folk does not really count. The billboards in those towns are in Korean.

Is it your opinion that only Korean people eat Korean food? Don't take offense, I'm actually curious.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/2 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icecreamarsenal wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. There is Kraverie, and then there's Korean food.

Looking forward to what you have to offer!

Posted on: 2013/11/2 20:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the feedback. There is Kraverie, and then there's Korean food.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 20:34

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017