Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Speed cameras = a great way to improve safety and raise money
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
We live in different Hamilton Parks.

Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
And if the pregnant lady is crossing where there isn't a speed camera?

Very few people are going faster than 25 in that area...and people get hit over there because of all the blind spots. Jersey and 8th is a great example of that.

And, there is frequently a cop on Manila by the school stopping people racing down. We already pay the police.

You want to stop people from speeding over there? Fix getting to the tunnel and move things along on Marin, with the proposed pedestrian bridge in the new condo place across from the mall.

The whole HP area is a conduit for emergencies because it's how you get to and from Hoboken and JC Medical Centers.

Posted on: 2013/11/9 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
And if the pregnant lady is crossing where there isn't a speed camera?

Very few people are going faster than 25 in that area...and people get hit over there because of all the blind spots. Jersey and 8th is a great example of that.

And, there is frequently a cop on Manila by the school stopping people racing down. We already pay the police.

You want to stop people from speeding over there? Fix getting to the tunnel and move things along on Marin, with the proposed pedestrian bridge in the new condo place across from the mall.

The whole HP area is a conduit for emergencies because it's how you get to and from Hoboken and JC Medical Centers.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Yeah, because the whole problem in JC and NJ is not enough money in the public trough to pay no-show public employees and grow the bureaucracy.

It's moronic to have speed cameras...the pregnant wife is the perfect example of why.

Secondly, red light cameras cause more accidents. This would be the same- breaking at the last second.

And many NJ speed limits are abitrarily low. Drive through one of the hundreds of two-bit NJ bergs with 25mph on state highways and tell me how it should be "follow the law."

Red light cameras need to be banned as well.

When your pregnant wife gets hit near Hamilton Park by a car travelling 25+mph, you might feel different. Anyone doing 25mph anywhere near HP is driving insanely fast.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, because the whole problem in JC and NJ is not enough money in the public trough to pay no-show public employees and grow the bureaucracy.

It's moronic to have speed cameras...the pregnant wife is the perfect example of why.

Secondly, red light cameras cause more accidents. This would be the same- breaking at the last second.

And many NJ speed limits are abitrarily low. Drive through one of the hundreds of two-bit NJ bergs with 25mph on state highways and tell me how it should be "follow the law."

Red light cameras need to be banned as well.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Unfortunately, NJ has a law against speed cameras. Which sucks. I'd love to see them put in place here in JC.

You are kidding! How did that happen?! How can someone agitate to get that overturned?

I'm ambivalent on speed cameras, but there's a lot of evidence that speed cameras actually increase accidents and deaths rather than decrease them because drivers suddenly stop or increase speed through yellow lights. They definitely generate revenue, but it would not be good if they did so at the expense of safety.

I think you have speed cameras confused with red light cameras.

No, he's right. Speed cameras also have this effect on traffic, unfortunately as people can figure out where they are and will speed/not speed when going in and out of ranges - major speed fluctuations occur and can lead to crashes.

By this tortured reasoning, we should abolish troopers on the highway, since everyone jams on their brakes when they see one, no doubt causing all sorts of accidents (I've never understood why people panic and brake when they see the flashing lights of a cop with a victim pulled over). When you shoot down every reasonable attempt to control traffic, you will drive the development of traffic drones or satellite linked black boxes in your car reporting on your obedience to the laws.

That said, there needs to be good faith in the implementation of these, no gotchas like 3 mph over or the way the warning sign is hidden behind a pole on Jersey & 18th Southbound. But I hope the people that gridlock that intersection in the evening rush all get tickets.

Hey, I'd love speed cameras. I'm simply explaining that they illegal in NJ and some of the traffic behaviors that have occurred in places where they have been implemented.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
[quote]

No, he's right. Speed cameras also have this effect on traffic, unfortunately as people can figure out where they are and will speed/not speed when going in and out of ranges - major speed fluctuations occur and can lead to crashes.

By this tortured reasoning, we should abolish troopers on the highway, since everyone jams on their brakes when they see one, no doubt causing all sorts of accidents (I've never understood why people panic and brake when they see the flashing lights of a cop with a victim pulled over). When you shoot down every reasonable attempt to control traffic, you will drive the development of traffic drones or satellite linked black boxes in your car reporting on your obedience to the laws.

That said, there needs to be good faith in the implementation of these, no gotchas like 3 mph over or the way the warning sign is hidden behind a pole on Jersey & 18th Southbound. But I hope the people that gridlock that intersection in the evening rush all get tickets.

+1 Brewster.

The UK studies are typically the most quoted (by the motorists lobby) in saying speed cameras fail to reduce accidents. However, the UK latest studies, show they actually do work.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/ju ... -reduce-serious-accidents.

Most of JC is a 25 mph zone. There should be NO large fluctuations in speed, except perhaps braking to 15 for a school zone.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Unfortunately, NJ has a law against speed cameras. Which sucks. I'd love to see them put in place here in JC.

You are kidding! How did that happen?! How can someone agitate to get that overturned?

I'm ambivalent on speed cameras, but there's a lot of evidence that speed cameras actually increase accidents and deaths rather than decrease them because drivers suddenly stop or increase speed through yellow lights. They definitely generate revenue, but it would not be good if they did so at the expense of safety.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

diamat wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

diamat wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Easier to have one camera moved around multiple locations...

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/loca ... ations-for-next-two-weeks

I like those, and would be in favor of sprinkling them across JC...

But if they are banned in NJ as later posters have suggested it may be a mute point - at least in the short term.

Seems as if Hoboken has had success with reducing speed through those signs that tell you how fast you are driving.

http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.ss ... ds_speed_sign_system.html

While probably (but who knows) not as effective as mobile speed cameras (and would not bring in in any money) it would be interesting to see if it had any lasting effect on traffic calming - when in position on a particular street and any remaining effect after the sign has been moved to a different location.

Based on success elsewhere it would be worthwhile to carry out a pilot in Jersey City.

Sure it would. But you'd have to make them legal in the state first.

These Radar Speed Signs are legal in NJ.

Seems as if they are also effective - interestingly enough, effectiveness increases over time (a few years):
http://www.ci.bellevue.wa.us/pdf/Tran ... adar_sign_report_2009.pdf
http://www.stopspeeders.org/options.htm#Radar
http://www.informationdisplay.com/htt ... ming-research-studies.php

And it seems as if the signs are already in use in a limited fashion Jersey City, but not too surprisingly for JC, placed in non-sensible locations...

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=256468

We could do with more of them - in the right locations. The report from Bellevue lists lessons learned to take into consideration for placement.

These are legal because the signs are driver feedback signs only. They do not capture the actual speeder and issue a summons for the speed violation.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/27 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:

Seeing that you're talking about red light cameras if they race through the yellow fine if they make it if not they the camera will catch them in the act. As far as stopping abruptly let the driver beware 'cause they shouldn't be taligating in the first place.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 12:34
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/27 5:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/25 21:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/30 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

diamat wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

But if they are banned in NJ as later posters have suggested it may be a mute point - at least in the short term.

Seems as if Hoboken has had success with reducing speed through those signs that tell you how fast you are driving.

While probably (but who knows) not as effective as mobile speed cameras (and would not bring in in any money) it would be interesting to see if it had any lasting effect on traffic calming - when in position on a particular street and any remaining effect after the sign has been moved to a different location.

Based on success elsewhere it would be worthwhile to carry out a pilot in Jersey City.

These Radar Speed Signs are legal in NJ.

Seems as if they are also effective - interestingly enough, effectiveness increases over time (a few years):
http://www.ci.bellevue.wa.us/pdf/Tran ... adar_sign_report_2009.pdf
http://www.stopspeeders.org/options.htm#Radar
http://www.informationdisplay.com/htt ... ming-research-studies.php

And it seems as if the signs are already in use in a limited fashion Jersey City, but not too surprisingly for JC, placed in non-sensible locations...

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=256468

We could do with more of them - in the right locations. The report from Bellevue lists lessons learned to take into consideration for placement.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

diamat wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/25 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Red light cameras ARE legal in NJ, and it looks like they're starting to use them in JC.

http://www.njjcpd.org/node/7

I suspect there's already one installed at 18th and Jersey Aves.

They've been in JC for a few years now. Does nothing too help speeding. Actually, my observation is that it increases speeding and drivers trying to beat the light. The crash data shows that red light cameras can also affect the amount of fear end crashes as well, at least that's what the data in the first year of their operation shows. Could be it will go down as drivers adjust to them.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 0:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/30 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/23 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Are you trying to win understatement of the year with "going to court is not as convenient" ??

Coworker of mine got two tickets via red light cameras.
1st one he admitted he rolled through the stop.
The other he came to complete stop (multiple photos showed he did), but still got a ticket. It was a legal right turn on red intersection.

Wasn't worth the effort to fight it in court, especially since he would have to go all the way to Newark. He just went ahead and paid the ticket.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Yep, 18th and Jersey. Turns out there's around 10 known red light cameras in JC.

http://www.photoenforced.com/new-jersey.html

Posted on: 2013/10/23 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Red light cameras ARE legal in NJ, and it looks like they're starting to use them in JC.

http://www.njjcpd.org/node/7

I suspect there's already one installed at 18th and Jersey Aves.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

driverjase wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
If there is no cop, how do I tell the camera that my wife is pregnant...

Just like I did when I got a red light ticket in the mail while taking my pregnant wife to the hospital (turned right on red without making a complete stop).

You go to court and show proof that you were in the hospital that day.

Its not as convenient as telling a cop, but I also didn't get delayed by a cop stopping me that night.

Are you trying to win understatement of the year with "going to court is not as convenient" ??

Posted on: 2013/10/23 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/r ... -cameras-20-years-on.html

When he left the police in 1999, he reckons public opinion was still on his side. ?At no time did I prosecute below 40mph in a 30mph,? he says. ?To do so at 32mph is ridiculous ? and they wonder why there?s a backlash against speed cameras.?

Prosecution numbers track the gatso?s journey from safety device to ?scamera? in the eyes of many drivers. In 2000, according to Home Office figures, just under 600,000 motorists were caught speeding by cameras in England and Wales. In 2007 that figure had shot up to 1.8?million, which, at ?60 a pop, represented an annual income of more than ?100 million.

According to Reynolds, the camera?s downfall started in 2000 when the so-called ?netting off? system allowed local authorities to receive a percentage of revenue from their cameras.

Local police and councils joined forces to form safety camera partnerships, picking out sites which the government would then fund.

It meant camera numbers multiplied from 1,600 in 2000 to 4,737 in 2007, according to AA figures. But the partnerships hadn?t factored in the effectiveness of the cameras.

?When you put a camera in, the number of speeders always reduces. Suddenly there?s no money coming in, so they drop the trigger speed from 38mph to 35mph to pay the bills,? says Reynolds. ?What good did that do but alienate the public??

This has been the public's response to the speed cameras:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/10/23 14:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/24 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Has anyone here even driven a car before? I'm starting to think no.

I'm not advocating that a person drive 50 down a 25 mph lane but obeying the speed limit would mean driving 30 in a 25 MPH is a violation - especially if an inanimate object enforces speeding.

Also, if you have a medical emergency - ie. wife is pregnant - are you going to give that person a ticket?

http://host-29.242.54.159.gannett.com ... pregnant-wife-to-hospital

The cop that issued that ticket should be ashamed of himself. That was an escort to the hospital and a good luck to mom and dad.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Not kidding. The county engineering folks told me this. No idea how to work on the law at the state level.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 13:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Just like I did when I got a red light ticket in the mail while taking my pregnant wife to the hospital (turned right on red without making a complete stop).

You go to court and show proof that you were in the hospital that day.

Its not as convenient as telling a cop, but I also didn't get delayed by a cop stopping me that night.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 11:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone here even driven a car before? I'm starting to think no.

I'm not advocating that a person drive 50 down a 25 mph lane but obeying the speed limit would mean driving 30 in a 25 MPH is a violation - especially if an inanimate object enforces speeding.

Also, if you have a medical emergency - ie. wife is pregnant - are you going to give that person a ticket?

http://host-29.242.54.159.gannett.com ... pregnant-wife-to-hospital

Posted on: 2013/10/23 5:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/23 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
well, MarkCore, seems to me that they were effective in raising revenues which is not a bad. If people don't want to pay more, then DON"T speed.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Having lived in England for years, I'm very against speed cameras.

People know where the cameras are (even SATNAV systems show it), so you speed, and then slow down for the 50 feet the camera is looking at, then speed up again. They are just there to get more money out of citizens and aren't effective.

Posted on: 2013/10/15 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/15 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

diamat wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Chicago is set to make a lot of money while improving safety. Maybe Hudson County needs such a system.

Definitely! People drive like maniacs through Jersey City.

But I also think that in many places mobile "speed patrols" would be the way to go.

This would ensure that smaller streets, (where many of the accidents happen but would not bring return on investment on a speed camera) could also be monitored and make the monitoring less predictable (by switching up locations) and hopefully cause motorists to drive slower in spots that do not have speed cameras.

But totally agree that enforcing speed limits (and stop signs) would be a good way to improve safety and generate money for the city.

Posted on: 2013/10/14 15:46

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017