Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Public Schools - No A/C and no Fans? What's going on?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/16 20:48
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I grew up in Elizabeth for elementary and middle school, and moved to Roselle Park for highschool. With the exception of the computer rooms, which have to be kept cool so the computers don't overheat, there was no A/C anywhere. My mother also works as a a public high school teacher and has never had AC. The reasoning, from what I understand, is that the kids aren't in school in the heat long enough to make it a worthwhile investment. It never bothered me that much growing up, and my mother only gripes about it for a limited amount of time.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
I grew up in PA with weather that was a bit hotter and steamier than here and we didn't have AC in my elementary school. I don't remember it being a problem. Let's stop coddling our children.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
schools don't need AC.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Monroe, I 100% agree with you. The taxes in Essex county suburbs are high because they support Newark and the towns around it. If you run a business, you would only invest where you can get good return on your money. The folks in suburbs are not getting any such return.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 11:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
Monroe, why don't you move out to the 'burbs? Sounds like you would fit in better there. Your self righteous tone is really annoying, to be frank.

Cities are unique in their education needs because there is such a mix of incomes and nationalities. Cities are where immigrants come to - not Millburn. Not everyone is wealthy and lives in Millburn or Summit. And the kids in Jersey City have to work a hell of a lot harder than the upper middle class kids in Millburn to get ahead in life. That is why I have so much respect for kids that make it from city environments.

Kids are kids. Stop blaming them for our grown up problems. The schools in JC are really not much to brag about, despite all the "funding" from the state. Have you seen Ferris? It looks like a sad prison. Have you seen the school in Millburn? I bet it doesn't look like that. And I bet they have nice soccer fields - something most schools in JC don't have, let alone any green space at all.

I split my time between the suburbs and JC. My paternal grandparents came to the suburbs from Europe and my grandfather worked as a stone cutter and didn't speak a word of English. My dad grew up in a family of 13. My mom grew up in PA coal country, and her parents were immigrants and her dad died of black lung. So I know about people coming to the USA looking to improve their lives.

Am I blaming the kids? Where did you get that from? I'm just pointing out, in response to the OP, that taxes in JC aren't really affected by the cost of the JC schools, because the local taxpayers pay a pittance of the cost of educating their own kids. And if people didn't have kids they don't want to parent, or raise in a family setting, then the kids that are born into families that are would be much better off. Look up the street at Union City and see what happens when involved parents and support meets government subsidies-you get a success story. Which I'm happy to subsidize. Writing a blank check to support school systems that do not achieve, not so much.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 3:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Monroe, why don't you move out to the 'burbs? Sounds like you would fit in better there. Your self righteous tone is really annoying, to be frank.

Cities are unique in their education needs because there is such a mix of incomes and nationalities. Cities are where immigrants come to - not Millburn. Not everyone is wealthy and lives in Millburn or Summit. And the kids in Jersey City have to work a hell of a lot harder than the upper middle class kids in Millburn to get ahead in life. That is why I have so much respect for kids that make it from city environments.

Kids are kids. Stop blaming them for our grown up problems. The schools in JC are really not much to brag about, despite all the "funding" from the state. Have you seen Ferris? It looks like a sad prison. Have you seen the school in Millburn? I bet it doesn't look like that. And I bet they have nice soccer fields - something most schools in JC don't have, let alone any green space at all.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

john1952 wrote:
Really? Which tax dollars are that? When your tax dollars really pay for the schools, we are f-cked.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

john1952 wrote:
Do any of you have children in the Jersey City Public Schools? I did not think so!

Nope, but my tax dollars are sure going to educate them-as long as JC is an Abbott district I'm entitled to an opinion.

The hard facts are that Jersey City homeowners (and renters through paying their landlords) pay less than 17% of the cost of educating Jersey City children, the rest being paid for by the Federal Government (about the same as JC taxpayers) and the remainder by NJ taxpayers in total. (Feel free to surf through the NJ State link above to look at JC vs other NJ towns in per student spending, and the percentages of local, state (other taxpayers) and federal support.

In other words, the JC students are being carried on the backs of taxpayers from across NJ, in comparison to most suburban towns where they local taxpayers carry the freight.

Be happy you're not, as Obama would say, paying your fair share, while the rest of us do it for you.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 1:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned
Really? Which tax dollars are that? When your tax dollars really pay for the schools, we are f-cked.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

john1952 wrote:
Do any of you have children in the Jersey City Public Schools? I did not think so!

Nope, but my tax dollars are sure going to educate them-as long as JC is an Abbott district I'm entitled to an opinion.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

john1952 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/16 0:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/9/16 0:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Uh... where are you getting this "information" from?

Public schools in JC do have A/C. When it goes out, it hits the news. E.g. Middle School 7's A/C failed for a few days in May, and it was in the Jersey Journal.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
In some instances we are a third world country and we are living off the enlighten years of progress without added to it - Its why our schools, health and infrustruicture needs are crumbling around us, yet we'll invest billions on a daily basis to our military needs.

Our taxes are not being reinvested in our young as they should be - Government priorities are all screwed-up

I don't disagree with much of what you wrote, but the fact is we spend a ton of money on education. European countries get much better educated kids for less money. The reason is that in places like JC, Newark, Camden, Atlantic City we have parents that are often absentee, uninterested, and are products of generations of social network support that has taken away the will to achieve. When close to 3/4 of African American kids being raised in single parent households no amount of education $ can overcome being born behind an 8 ball like that.

A place like Union City, with involved parents, shows how government supported schools can do a good job overcoming students from unprivileged backgrounds, often with English not being their native language. When the parents don't care no amount of Abbott funding can produce well educated kids.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
In some instances we are a third world country and we are living off the enlighten years of progress without added to it - Its why our schools, health and infrustruicture needs are crumbling around us, yet we'll invest billions on a daily basis to our military needs.

Our taxes are not being reinvested in our young as they should be - Government priorities are all screwed-up

Posted on: 2013/9/15 23:32
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
Quote:
Don't complain, local taxes pay only about 16% of the cost of educating the local kids in Jersey City. The Feds pay about the same, and other NJ residents (ie the suburbs) underwrite JC schools to the tune of about 71%, at the expense of their own families.

Monroe - Where are you getting those stats from?

http://www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/educat ... dist_code2390&maxhits=650

Under the box Summary of Vital Statistics.

Here's a comparison with the town with the highest average real estate taxes in NJ. Look at the percentages of local taxes, Federal, and State for education. Millburn also is usually in the top couple of towns in NJ for education. Also note that besides the disparity in what local taxes are paid for their own students, they spent considerably less per student than JC does.

http://www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/educat ... dist_code3190&maxhits=650

To sum up, your local taxes pay only 16.5% of the school bill in JC, whereas in Millburn local taxes pay 88.4%.

Posted on: 2013/9/15 22:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/29 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Don't complain, local taxes pay only about 16% of the cost of educating the local kids in Jersey City. The Feds pay about the same, and other NJ residents (ie the suburbs) underwrite JC schools to the tune of about 71%, at the expense of their own families.

Your taxes are incredibly low considering how JC schools are underwritten, others are paying the lions share from their pockets.

+1 So true

Posted on: 2013/9/15 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe - Where are you getting those stats from?

Posted on: 2013/9/15 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Your taxes are incredibly low considering how JC schools are underwritten, others are paying the lions share from their pockets.

Posted on: 2013/9/15 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I grew up in an upper middle class suburb. Sometimes a teacher would bring in a fan and we never had A/C.

Something I will never miss from my childhood: public school.

Posted on: 2013/9/15 16:22

Jersey City Public Schools - No A/C and no Fans? What's going on?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/27 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
What the heck is going on in our Public Schools? Just yesterday found out that a lot of our neighborhood schools have no A/C or fans in the classrooms.

I am old school so ... didn't really have A/C when I was in school of course neither did our administrators and so I HOPE that the administrators and Claremont Ave also do not have A/C and fans since the kids don't. This issues of facilities is not just confined in a single ward but the entire city and includes elementary, middle, and high schools.

Oh that's right board elections are up ... let's see if kids get the A/C or fan cause we MIGHT get another 2% tax hike next year for the BOE (just like every past year even though it was not necessary).

Posted on: 2013/9/15 15:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017