Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Armed Robbery (shotgun) on block 100 Coles St.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Newport 1 / Presidential Plaza 35 River Ct 608 units
Newport 2 / Presidential Plaza 55 River Ct 896 units
HMFA, right? Low cost mortgage, not really Projects or affordable housing.
Sh*t, if they are, I'd like to move there...

All those properties on River Dr. & River Ct. are tax free / abated condos. Insane !

Posted on: 2013/2/15 16:03
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
Our nanny and baby are being stalked by some weirdo who's taking photos of them with his phone ~ as per the separate thread here.
I'd appreciate seeing police patrol our neighborhood. This is getting ridiculous.

Ditch the nanny, problem resolved.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 16:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Cue the old timers to give us the "real" definition of Downtown in 3, 2, 1...

LOL...

The boundaries of the 07302 zip code effectively defines "downtown".

Posted on: 2013/2/15 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

HMFA, right? Low cost mortgage, not really Projects or affordable housing.

Sh*t, if they are, I'd like to move there...

Posted on: 2013/2/15 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Spotcrime reported this, but I don't see it anywhere else, even in NJ.com:

http://spotcrime.com/#40.725242%2C%20-74.04710

02/11/2013 08:24 PM. Armed Robbery. JCPD o/s male in a green jkt showed a shotgun, took cash, fled on 7th St View Source.

NJ.COM is only interested in Greenville crime, they love to keep downtown folks in a bubble.

Petty crime does indeed happen in downtown, although not to the same extent as it does in other parts of JC. However, the real question is - where do these criminals live? I can guarantee you that they DO NOT live in downtown. The places where criminals live are the real places that need policing. Mandatory curfew, police walking the streets past sunset, harsher punishment for repeat offenders - all the real things that would benefit those areas and jersey city in general.

Of the 9 arrests I was involved with I can confirm that 5 of the individuals lived in downtown Jersey City. One of them (Obed Colon) I helped arrest again when returned to the neighborhood after moving to Bayonne. Colon was arrested a third time a couple years back after dragging a construction worker whose tools he had stolen. That incident was in Newport. I am not sure where 3 of the other perps lived. Colon had grown up on 7th Street. Two perps lived next door to me on 8th Street. One of the guys recently lives with his parents in the Italian Village area. The most recent perp was from the projects over past Dixon Mills.

So if you have only limited resources (police), where would you distribute them? You mention 5 arrests out of how many in JC? Plus, you said one of them USE TO live in downtown.

You want to actually bet money that 80% of the arrests were of individuals who DO NOT live in downtown?

downtown has many problems but crime, at least violent crime, is not one of them. You may have the occasional theft now and again but you do not have to fear losing your life while walking in downtown JC. I cannot say the same for other neighborhoods in JC

Why am I so sure that perps don't live in downtown? Because if they could afford downtown rents, why would they commit petty crime? All the rich people who commit white collar crime are working and living in NYC.

I'm willing to bet if do not count Newport Mall crime a lot more of it is committed by residents and former residents then you think.

Somes affordable housing sites I copied on with number of units to show you not everyone that lives Downtown is paying the type of rents you think they are. I know theirs some missing but this will give you a better picture.
http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/ ... e_2_afford_hsg/hudson.pdf

Booker T Washington
50-98 Freemont St & 200
Colden St 319 units

Grace Church Van Vorst 270-82 2nd St 44 units

Holland Gardens 227-55 16th St 189 units

Montgomery Gateway East 1 336 Montgomery St 201 units

Montgomery Gateway East 2 361 Montgomery St 190 units

Paulus Hook 100 Montgomery St 306 units

Villa Borinquen / Puerto Rican
Luthern Housing 192 3rd St 242 units

Villa Borinquen 2 159-82 3rd St 48 units

Welcome Baptist Homes 513 Jersey Av 8 units

Now you also have to remember theirs a lot of criminals that live with family members, friends, girlfriends etc in apts that receive assistance that when they get arrested give a friend/family address else where to avoid getting them kicked out. Have you ever noticed how many people that constantly get arrested in housing projects have different addresses but have the same last name as residents there? That would give you the impression they were from else where if you read the paper that they were "from the Heights" when in reality they lived on Brunswick or 16th street with their mom.

Thanks for posting this, and for bursting the bubble of some of these idiots. When I lived in Dixon M on Wayne street, most of my troubles came from the projects that were right across the street from the complex. Loud music, car vandalism, egg throwing on Halloween or just because they felt like it, and my roommate was mugged twice.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:

02/11/2013 08:24 PM. Armed Robbery. JCPD o/s male in a green jkt showed a shotgun, took cash, fled on 7th St View Source.

NJ.COM is only interested in Greenville crime, they love to keep downtown folks in a bubble.

Petty crime does indeed happen in downtown, although not to the same extent as it does in other parts of JC. However, the real question is - where do these criminals live? I can guarantee you that they DO NOT live in downtown. The places where criminals live are the real places that need policing. Mandatory curfew, police walking the streets past sunset, harsher punishment for repeat offenders - all the real things that would benefit those areas and jersey city in general.

Of the 9 arrests I was involved with I can confirm that 5 of the individuals lived in downtown Jersey City. One of them (Obed Colon) I helped arrest again when returned to the neighborhood after moving to Bayonne. Colon was arrested a third time a couple years back after dragging a construction worker whose tools he had stolen. That incident was in Newport. I am not sure where 3 of the other perps lived. Colon had grown up on 7th Street. Two perps lived next door to me on 8th Street. One of the guys recently lives with his parents in the Italian Village area. The most recent perp was from the projects over past Dixon Mills.

So if you have only limited resources (police), where would you distribute them? You mention 5 arrests out of how many in JC? Plus, you said one of them USE TO live in downtown.

You want to actually bet money that 80% of the arrests were of individuals who DO NOT live in downtown?

downtown has many problems but crime, at least violent crime, is not one of them. You may have the occasional theft now and again but you do not have to fear losing your life while walking in downtown JC. I cannot say the same for other neighborhoods in JC

Why am I so sure that perps don't live in downtown? Because if they could afford downtown rents, why would they commit petty crime? All the rich people who commit white collar crime are working and living in NYC.

I'm willing to bet if do not count Newport Mall crime a lot more of it is committed by residents and former residents then you think.

Somes affordable housing sites I copied on with number of units to show you not everyone that lives Downtown is paying the type of rents you think they are. I know theirs some missing but this will give you a better picture.
http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/ ... e_2_afford_hsg/hudson.pdf

Booker T Washington
50-98 Freemont St & 200
Colden St 319 units

Grace Church Van Vorst 270-82 2nd St 44 units

Holland Gardens 227-55 16th St 189 units

Montgomery Gateway East 1 336 Montgomery St 201 units

Montgomery Gateway East 2 361 Montgomery St 190 units

Paulus Hook 100 Montgomery St 306 units

Villa Borinquen / Puerto Rican
Luthern Housing 192 3rd St 242 units

Villa Borinquen 2 159-82 3rd St 48 units

Welcome Baptist Homes 513 Jersey Av 8 units

Now you also have to remember theirs a lot of criminals that live with family members, friends, girlfriends etc in apts that receive assistance that when they get arrested give a friend/family address else where to avoid getting them kicked out. Have you ever noticed how many people that constantly get arrested in housing projects have different addresses but have the same last name as residents there? That would give you the impression they were from else where if you read the paper that they were "from the Heights" when in reality they lived on Brunswick or 16th street with their mom.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
This deli robbery occurred on Coles Street, between 6th and 7th, broad daylight on a Sunday morning. This is the same deli where the owner was shot and killed a year or two ago, during another robbery. His family assumed day to day management of the business upon their relative's death.

Another armed robbery occurred on Coles & 7th yesterday ~ this time it was the laundry mat.

Our nanny and baby are being stalked by some weirdo who's taking photos of them with his phone ~ as per the separate thread here.

I'd appreciate seeing police patrol our neighborhood. This is getting ridiculous.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 12:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I would not consider that downtown- it's west of I-78. Near enough sure, but not downtown.
Whether you consider it or not it is, those buildings were there before I-78 was built.

If it isn't Downtown like you claim why the Downtown zip code?
http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1PC ... fc5545:0xb83638d0a263837d,98+Fremont+St,+Jersey+City,+NJ+07302&gl=us&sa=X&ei=NhkeUbGVDfGM0QHez4C4Dw&ved=0CDQQ8gEwAA

Posted on: 2013/2/15 11:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Could you imagine what our perception of crime in JC would be if the JJ did report on the JC?s 600+ crimes a month?

I don't think any of the local news sources list every single event in dense urban environments. E.g. the NYC papers don't list every stick-up or drunken brawl.

Quote:
PS- I swear Comey and Healy said (at a ?Captains? meeting) that with the redesign of the JCPD website there would be a real-time crime blog.

Did anyone else actually hear that? :D

In the meantime, Spotcrime actually looks like it'll do the job. A cursory look, by the way, will show you how much safer downtown is than Bergen-Lafayette and Greenville.

Quote:
It would also be a good way to get witnesses (240K pairs of eyes)...

As in, private citizens will take witness statements?

Or do you really think that I'm going to read a Twitter account, and rush outside to spot a guy with a shotgun? ;)

Quote:
Instead of finding out weeks later that a neighbors house a block away was robbed, while you are looking at your broken front door lock.

What would you do differently?

I mean, really. The crime rate in Jersey City is not a state secret; if you live here or move here, it's up to you to figure out if the neighborhood is safe enough for your comfort level.

And unlike CSI, you can't predict that your house will be hit next because an apartment down the street got robbed.

I think it's good to be aware of what's happening. But if it makes you feel unsafe in a generally safe neighborhood, maybe that would be counter-productive.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Cue the old timers to give us the "real" definition of Downtown in 3, 2, 1...

Posted on: 2013/2/14 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I would not consider that downtown- it's west of I-78. Near enough sure, but not downtown.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ggg wrote:
Which housing project is that?

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

Why so sure criminals do not live Downtown? Last time I checked plenty of criminals are from there, it even is head quarters to a few gangs and has one of the most violent housing projects in the city. Even many of those that are arrested from other parts of the city in DT that Jclisters are so quick to point out aren't from Downtown are former residents that still frequent the area they grew up in. They just happen to sleep a little further away but are originally from the same neighborhood.
Booker T Projects on Bright and Fremont. Known as "Bullet Town" by some and headquarters of the Hoover 52 Crips in this city the same gang two members will be getting released soon after beating one murder charge and pleading to only four years in another.
Acquitted of murder

Posted on: 2013/2/14 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Some kind of robbery today downtown. Saw cops racing all over the place. One stopped me and asked if I had seen a white male in a North Face coat. Not sure if they caught him but the activity died down quickly after the cops raced west towards Enos Jones Pk. This was around 11:30am.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 18:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/22 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
Which housing project is that?

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

Why so sure criminals do not live Downtown? Last time I checked plenty of criminals are from there, it even is head quarters to a few gangs and has one of the most violent housing projects in the city. Even many of those that are arrested from other parts of the city in DT that Jclisters are so quick to point out aren't from Downtown are former residents that still frequent the area they grew up in. They just happen to sleep a little further away but are originally from the same neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:

Sorry but as others have mentioned there are several low income projects in downtown. There are also still plenty of old-timers and section 8 housing. The petty criminals do not live in million dollar brownstones but some certainly live downtown. I have been here longer than most and I have never personally had a problem but I have seen people die and there have been plenty of violent crimes. Enough to keep this long timer constantly on his toes. The attitude that we're a-okay is exactly how and why petty criminals get away with their crimes. It's amazing the stuff I've seen happen that others don't notice happening right under their noses. But alas, that's why those guys went to jail.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:

Posted on: 2013/2/14 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
There are projects in DTJC: Holland Gardens, the ones by Shop Rite, the ones on Montgomery by the Grove PATH...and it's not a bad walk from those right on the other side of I-78 or the west side of Hoboken.

The fact of the matter is Jersey City is a city. Like any other city, there are good and bad neighborhoods. Take NYC- it's easy to get from the South Bronx to Murray Hill on the Green line, and there are projects in Murray Hill. But you're exponentially safer in Murray Hill than in the South Bronx.

And you're much safer downtown than you are in most of the rest of the city. Where you are on Earth you should always exercise caution. But given the choice I'd much rather be downtown after dark than anywhere else.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Shhhhh don?t say anything about a crime happening in JC, especially on the ?blogosphere?. You wouldn't want to be pegged as a "fear monger". That ?fill in the blank? is just one of the 600+ crimes that get reported to the JCPD every month. It will most likely not be one of the very few that makes it to the JJ. Could you imagine what our perception of crime in JC would be if the JJ did report on the JC?s 600+ crimes a month?

From Mayor Healy's 2012 State of the City Address:

Many of you have heard some people say that crime is on the increase in Jersey City, despite the crime statistics certified by the State Police and the FBI that prove the opposite, that in fact, crime continues to trend downward in Jersey City. Those individuals who fear monger for whatever reason are doing a great disservice not only to the City of Jersey City, but to its people and ultimately to themselves.

from the JJ 2/17/2012:

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy said at a press conference this morning that there?s a ?disconnect? between residents who believe crime is on the rise and statistics from the FBI and the State Police that show crime is on the decline.

Asked to explain the disconnect, Healy blamed The Jersey Journal, in part.

?It?s a perception. It comes from your newspaper,? he said. ?It comes from the internet and the blogosphere.?

Like the mayor, Comey referred to a ?disconnect? between crime stats showing a downtrend trend in crime and residents who believe crime has spiked. That disconnect, Comey said, is not the public?s fault.
?It?s no fault of our own, and it?s not fault of the community,? he said.

PS- I swear Comey and Healy said (at a ?Captains? meeting) that with the redesign of the JCPD website there would be a real-time crime blog. (as recommended by a blogger on the JJ) I think that would be a good thing at least we would all know where and when a crime took place in JC in REAL TIME. It would also be a good way to get witnesses (240K pairs of eyes), timely leads, and a help us protect our houses and bodies more. Instead of finding out weeks later (at a ?Captains? meeting) that a neighbors house a block away was robbed, while you are looking at your broken front door lock. (praying they didn?t take your KitchenAid Artisan Espresso Machine) Still hasn?t appeared on the JCPD ?blogosphere? yet.

Hey vigilante nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/2/13 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:

Posted on: 2013/2/13 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
yes, there is a monthly captains meeting for each district - which is the best chance to find out what has happened and talk about what the police are doing and what you can do. My calendar has marked the 26th for this month but I will confirm. In my experience this works better than having the police come and attend each community group. there is too much to deal with and it could otherwise take up all of the time in most neighborhood group's meeting.
Quote:

Moto wrote:
A lot of crime info is shared at the Captain and neighborhood association meetings that I never see in the press. I encourage everyone to attend those respective meetings or get on an email list. Stay safe everyone.

Captains' Meetings

East District - Downtown 4th Tuesday of the month
(except July and August) at 7:00 p.m.
P.S. 4 at Bright & Varick Sts., Library, 2nd floor
East District
207 7th Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Phone: (201)547-5408
Fax: (201)547-5075
policeeast@njjcps.org
crteast@njjcps.org
The East District, commanded by Captain Joseph Connors, is populated by approximately 60,000 residents and 40,000 day-time workers who commute daily.

North District - Heights May 17th at 7:00 p.m.
P.S. 28 at 167 Hancock Avenue

South District - Greenville 1st Wednesday of the month (except July & August) at 7:00 p.m.
St. Paul's Convent, at 20 Greenville Avenue, in the basement

West District - Westside 3rd Wednesday of the month (except June & July) at 7:00 p.m.
Old Bergen Church at 1 Highland Avenue

Posted on: 2013/2/13 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:

Posted on: 2013/2/13 8:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:

Posted on: 2013/2/13 5:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
yes, there is a monthly captains meeting for each district - which is the best chance to find out what has happened and talk about what the police are doing and what you can do.

my calendar has marked the 26th for this month but I will confirm.

in my experience this works better than having the police come and attend each community group. there is too much to deal with and it could otherwise take up all of the time in most neighborhood group's meeting.

Quote:

Moto wrote:
I remember a month ago there was a post about gun fire in the middle of the night near Dixon Mills. It woke me up and I thought: gun shots. On JCLIST, folks closer attributed it to fireworks due to people setting them off previous nights. From an email sent from my neighborhood association a week ago, I see that a man was shot down at Montgomery Gardens that night, at the same time as the gun shots heard.

A lot of crime info is shared at the Captain and neighborhood association meetings that I never see in the press. I encourage everyone to attend those respective meetings or get on an email list. Stay safe everyone.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 3:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/20 2:05
Group:
Registered Users
I remember a month ago there was a post about gun fire in the middle of the night near Dixon Mills. It woke me up and I thought: gun shots. On JCLIST, folks closer attributed it to fireworks due to people setting them off previous nights. From an email sent from my neighborhood association a week ago, I see that a man was shot down at Montgomery Gardens that night, at the same time as the gun shots heard.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
What makes it more disturbing is that almost exactly 4 years ago a respected store owner, Kirik Parikh, was killed during a robbery on that same corner.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16077

Posted on: 2013/2/12 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:

Posted on: 2013/2/12 17:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/12 22:00
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting considering there was also a robbery on Sunday at 11:00am between the blocks of 6th and 7th on Coles and there is no information on that...

Posted on: 2013/2/12 17:42

Armed Robbery (shotgun) on block 100 Coles St.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/2/12 16:49

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017