Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Lafayette Redevelopment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am looking forward to this park, I bike down Garfield often and at night it gets pretty dark.

Hopefully this park will add additional lights along Garfield, and maybe they can add some bike lanes :)

Posted on: 2012/8/21 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
After half a decade of planning, Jersey City is set to turn more than 17 acres of abandoned land into a lush, green oasis that will be the largest municipally owned park in the city.

On Wednesday, ground will be broken at Berry Lane Park, located on Berry Lane between Garfield Avenue and Woodward Street near the Lafayette and Jackson Hill neighborhoods. City officials say they hope the park will bring life and recreation options to the under-served area, which is also known as Morris Canal and has a poverty rate nearly twice the national average. Officials also note that the area has a minority population of more than 70 percent with nearly half of its residents speaking a language other than English.

The project, which is being spearheaded by the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency, has long been in the works.

?Getting Berry Lane Park built has been a major initiative for the JCRA since 2006,? says JCRA Executive Director Bob Antonicello. ?When people think of the JCRA, they generally don?t think of park construction, but in the case of Berry Lane Park, the importance to the Ward F community couldn?t be overstated. It?s safe to say that Berry Lane Park is the key to renewal of Lafayette and Jackson Hill communities.?

Officials note that the project will turn ?brownfields? ? vacant, abandoned, or underutilized former industrial or commercial properties ? into green, open space for the public. When the park is complete, it will increase the amount of useable, open space in the city overall by almost 10 percent.

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... lvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Posted on: 2012/8/21 20:04

Re: Lafayette Redevelopment: Berry Lane Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
On Wednesday, ground will be broken at Berry Lane Park, located on Berry Lane between Garfield Avenue and Woodward Street near the Lafayette and Jackson Hill neighborhoods. City officials say they hope the park will bring life and recreation options to the under-served area, which is also known as Morris Canal and has a poverty rate nearly twice the national average. Officials also note that the area has a minority population of more than 70 percent with nearly half of its residents speaking a language other than English.

The project, which is being spearheaded by the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency, has long been in the works.

?Getting Berry Lane Park built has been a major initiative for the JCRA since 2006,? says JCRA Executive Director Bob Antonicello. ?When people think of the JCRA, they generally don?t think of park construction, but in the case of Berry Lane Park, the importance to the Ward F community couldn?t be overstated. It?s safe to say that Berry Lane Park is the key to renewal of Lafayette and Jackson Hill communities.?

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... lvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Posted on: 2012/8/21 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's a grasshopper, about 1 and a half to two inches long. These are cucumbers from the garden: IMGP8662rd

Posted on: 2012/8/20 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
What the hell is that?

Posted on: 2012/8/20 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
Spotted in the Learning Garden:

probly gonna wanna kill that

Posted on: 2012/8/20 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Spotted in the Learning Garden: IMGP8524rd

Posted on: 2012/8/20 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks! Definitely looking forward to going one of these Thursdays.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 23:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/2 11:26
From Bergen Lafayette, Downtown, Westiside and Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/8/17 16:29
*JERSEY CITY* BORN and RAISED, STILL HERE!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know anything about all that art in the building on the corner of Communipaw and Monitor (I think?)? I've walked past a few times when coming back from the light rail, and was wondering if they're opening an art gallery in our hood? I'm no connoisseur, but there was def a lot of great pop art style pieces. A gallery would be a great addition to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Facebook page for the learning garden: http://www.facebook.com/LafayetteCommunityLearningGarden Sunflower in the Learning Garden: IMGP8011rd45

Posted on: 2012/8/15 9:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
WHAT'S A COMMUNITY GARDEN COMMUNITY?

Two questions, closely related, but not the same:

What?s a community garden?
What?s a garden community?

So, what IS a community garden? I suppose it?s a garden that, in some sense, belongs to a community rather than belonging to a private individual or organization.

In what sense CAN a garden belong to the community? There is the legal sense. This requires that the community form itself into a legally recognized organization and that that organization, in turn, owns the land on which the garden is created. But, legal ownership of the land is not necessary nor sufficient. The land can be donated, and it need not be donated to anyone or any group in particular. It need only be made available. ...

And so we arrive at our second question: What IS a garden community? ... The garden is a place where people can meet and mingle. Not only with one another, but with the garden itself. With the plants, of course, the onions and the peppers, collard greens and corn, the blueberries and petunias, the cabbage and cilantro, the potatos and tomatoes, but also the weeds. They grow in the garden too, and must be taken out. And the grape vines.

Oh yes, the grape vines. While we planted some grapes in the garden, there?s wild grapes growing in the lot next door and they?re growing over the wall?they?re all over the place in this town!

More here: http://truthandtraditionsparty.org/20 ... mmunity-garden-community/

Posted on: 2012/7/9 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
That's either a midshipman's tautline hitch or a rolling magnus. Either way it earns a merit badge!

LOL! I like the sound of that, rolling magnus. Clever things those tendrils.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
That's either a midshipman's tautline hitch or a rolling magnus. Either way it earns a merit badge!

Posted on: 2012/7/9 12:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Tendrils IMGP6934rd IMGP6931rd Can plants earn a merit badge for knot-tying?

Posted on: 2012/7/7 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Fennel IMGP6744rdPL

Posted on: 2012/7/1 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A Community Garden Builds Itself Not, mind you, that the rocks just up and cleared themselves out of the way, nor did lumber arrange itself into planter boxes, much less did the dirt leap into the boxes followed in close order by seeds, seedlings, shoots, and sprouts. Nothing like that. But the garden wasn?t planned by spreadsheet and Gant charts, nor was it built by highly organized teams working against the clock, on time and on budget. Fact is, if you?d been on site any Saturday?and a few weekdays here and there?from mid-April through May and into mid-June it?s not clear to me just what you?d have seen. And I was there. It all depends on just when you showed up. You might have seen people building things, planting things, watering the plants, and painting the wall. But you might have seen some women and girls tossing rocks over a wall, or a young boy burying himself to his neck in a mound of dirt, or a middle-aged man taking photographs of a plush-toy frog lounging in the lettuce, or men women boys girls and dogs chillin? around the barbecue listening to hip-hop and Rnb on the radio. Not a high-energy task-oriented workforce at all. But they built the garden. more here http://truthandtraditionsparty.org/20 ... ity-garden-builds-itself/

Posted on: 2012/6/28 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Laffayette Community Learning Garden is beginning to bear vegetables: IMGP6567rd IMGP6496rd

Posted on: 2012/6/27 20:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
not for nothin, the Statue of liberty should be backwards in the Mural, thats (fittingly) the only side Jersey has a connection with...

Posted on: 2012/6/25 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Great to hear that they are making progress on the whitlock cordage - its been too long?

Posted on: 2012/6/11 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
In DaHood's original post, he said Lafayette might be the next "JC neighborhood to hit it big"

Which other neighborhoods have hit it big? I would argue that the only neighborhoods to hit it big are newport, and the different areas of downtown jc - exchange, paulus hook, harismus cove, etc. One can argue that the PAD is heading towards that direction.

If DaHood meant "hit it big" in some other way - ie. small scale shops and businesses coming to the area then I am mistaken and yes, none of my posts relate to that.

However, I just don't want anyone to be confused and think the next Trader Joes or Whole Foods or next Trump Towers or any kind of condo complex is coming to Lafayette. It is not - especially in the foreseeable future, unless downtown or newport have one...

There is a reason why I am an advocate for my kind of Development - safety, better schools, more publicity.

"Hitting it big" is subjective. Sounds like you and the OP have a different definition of what this means.

Posted on: 2012/6/9 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
In DaHood's original post, he said Lafayette might be the next "JC neighborhood to hit it big"

This is a lead teaser copied verbatim from the news article's opening paragraph to offer a brief summary of the story; these are the journalist's words. It's worth noting that none of the Lafayette residents, advocates, business owners, etc., quoted in the article exaggerate the scale of activity or talk about the neighborhood 'hitting it big.'

So yes, I think we're talking about different things, though I agree that safety, better schools, etc., are good things wherever one lives.

I think you may be surprised, though, over the next five years; I've walked by the massive Whitlock Mills development lately and have seen quite a bit of progress, Berry Lane Park will be pretty special when complete, and a few other things are in the works.

Wishing your part of town the best, whatever that may be.

Posted on: 2012/6/8 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users

Which other neighborhoods have hit it big? I would argue that the only neighborhoods to hit it big are newport, and the different areas of downtown jc - exchange, paulus hook, harismus cove, etc. One can argue that the PAD is heading towards that direction.

If DaHood meant "hit it big" in some other way - ie. small scale shops and businesses coming to the area then I am mistaken and yes, none of my posts relate to that.

However, I just don't want anyone to be confused and think the next Trader Joes or Whole Foods or next Trump Towers or any kind of condo complex is coming to Lafayette. It is not - especially in the foreseeable future, unless downtown or newport have one...

There is a reason why I am an advocate for my kind of Development - safety, better schools, more publicity.

Posted on: 2012/6/8 15:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/10 2:34
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
People have different definitions of development. Mine is with a small d. It seems that Vindication's definition of development is with a big D, akin to Newport with lots of tower apartments and chain restaurants. Certainly, no one expects that -- especially in the next five years. And I think I speak for many of my neighbors when I say that most of us don't want that here (my husband just announced he'll run screaming the day a Blimpie's opens here). We just want independent restaurants and shops, and an increasingly funky and friendly environment that is welcoming to newcomers and old-timers alike.

Having lived out here for four years, it seems clear it's going in that direction. It makes me happy. I know and like my neighbors more than anywhere else I have lived (which in the NYC area includes downtown JC and the East Village before it 'Developed'). With MAE, PYT, great (and friendly) bodegas, Tanty's, etc., there are increasingly amenities out here. Oh, and a pool with early morning adult-only swim hours! A coffee shop would be welcome, for sure... but given the small-d development going on, it's just a matter of time. And I moved here with plans to stay for 15+ years, so got that covered.

From Vindication's posts, it seems that these incremental improvements wouldn't make you happy. OK. But I'm a bit perplexed as to why you think we're proclaiming this the next insta-Newport when no one has suggested that or would much care for it. For many of us who live here, this is a great area that in recent months has noticeably improved in concrete and encouraging ways. Why do you care enough to weigh in on a neighborhood that is clearly not for you, and may never be? You've said you don't want people to move here based on a false impression, but no one who lives here is contributing to that false impression in this forum.

Posted on: 2012/6/8 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jzara wrote:
I think also maybe some people have a different idea of "development." I think Lafayette will develop naturally, with people moving in and refurbishing existing homes. ... I'm just talking about more people moving in and having a real neighborhood.

+5

Posted on: 2012/6/7 19:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/4 15:23
Group:
Registered Users
Check this out!

I just produced a new mural with local artists in this section of town. Couldn't have met nicer people!

http://www.facebook.com/MorrisCanalCDC

Posted on: 2012/6/7 12:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I think also maybe some people have a different idea of "development." I think Lafayette will develop naturally, with people moving in and refurbishing existing homes. Not slapping huge towers everywhere. No, I don't think developers are going to be building towers here within the next 5 years. I'm just talking about more people moving in and having a real neighborhood.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 12:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I'm surprised you say Newport. I got off the Path there once to go to Target (I don't have a car) and was surprised at the development there. it was like the twilight zone. huge towers, hardly any people, and very suburban infrastructure. i couldn't wait to get out of there. definitely not a neighborhood. what's going on with that? didn't seem appealing at all.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I think many people have missed my point. Lafayette is probably filled with great people. It probably does have a lot of history and culture and so on...

However, if you think it's going to be developed within the next 5 years then you're just living in la-la land.

First of all, developers are already taking a risk by developing in Jersey City versus Manhattan or Brooklyn. The appealing places to develop outside of NYC is Hoboken, Newport area, and then the downtown area because of their vicinity to NYC and easy 24/7 access via PATH.

Now ask yourself - are all those places completely developed yet? When will those places get fully developed? In downtown alone, I can mention developments such as Morgan Pointe, Liberty Harbor North, GC 2, the 3rd street ironstate development....which are all in its infant stages of development. No one is flocking to JC in droves.. and if there are developers coming to JC, it sure ain't to Lafayette....let's just take step back here and be real.

I was born and raised in JC and I love it here but I am also honest about why most people relocate to JC - it's close to NYC and it's cheaper than NYC. Developers also know this...

Posted on: 2012/6/7 12:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
I think many people have missed my point. Lafayette is probably filled with great people. It probably does have a lot of history and culture and so on...

However, if you think it's going to be developed within the next 5 years then you're just living in la-la land.

First of all, developers are already taking a risk by developing in Jersey City versus Manhattan or Brooklyn. The appealing places to develop outside of NYC is Hoboken, Newport area, and then the downtown area because of their vicinity to NYC and easy 24/7 access via PATH.

Now ask yourself - are all those places completely developed yet? When will those places get fully developed? In downtown alone, I can mention developments such as Morgan Pointe, Liberty Harbor North, GC 2, the 3rd street ironstate development....which are all in its infant stages of development. No one is flocking to JC in droves.. and if there are developers coming to JC, it sure ain't to Lafayette....let's just take step back here and be real.

I was born and raised in JC and I love it here but I am also honest about why most people relocate to JC - it's close to NYC and it's cheaper than NYC. Developers also know this...

Posted on: 2012/6/7 5:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 19:50
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I always like to read posts by getz011 because of the fair and reasoned tone. I suspect you're a neighbor and you are probably a good one--Bergen-Lafayette is a very nice neighborhood and there are excellent people here.

Posted on: 2012/6/6 23:23

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017