Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: parking ticket: motor vehicle nuisance? huh?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Because if you read the OP, he said he parks in these zones and happily pays them and considers it a "tax" for living in JC.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:

Getting a ticket bc your meter expires is a completely different issue than KNOWINGLY parking in a red or yellow zone.

No it is not. No difference whatsoever, - not from legal point of view, not from moral one.

I am not sure why you put that word in all caps, by the way? I mean - if someone knows that he is in the red zone - by the same reasoning you should know that you are over time, no? So, you KNOWINGLY exceed the time for which you paid.

If you really can't ascertain the difference between parking in a red zone, vs having your meter run out whether it's accidentally or not (and I would hazard to guess that most people do not purposefully leave their cars in a metered spot for longer than the allotted time), then I really can't help you there.

Both are against the lawwwwwww, bro.

Honestly, I've only gotten tickets for expired metered parking probably no more than 3 times in my lifetime. And I pay them as soon as I get them without complaining because I know that I screwed up. And all three times were accidental, I thought I was back within the time period allotted and I was mistaken. Nobody mistakenly parks in a red zone. You do that on purpose.

How do you know it always happens on purposes?

And why does it matter, you both broke the law.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:

Getting a ticket bc your meter expires is a completely different issue than KNOWINGLY parking in a red or yellow zone.

No it is not. No difference whatsoever, - not from legal point of view, not from moral one.

I am not sure why you put that word in all caps, by the way? I mean - if someone knows that he is in the red zone - by the same reasoning you should know that you are over time, no? So, you KNOWINGLY exceed the time for which you paid.

If you really can't ascertain the difference between parking in a red zone, vs having your meter run out whether it's accidentally or not (and I would hazard to guess that most people do not purposefully leave their cars in a metered spot for longer than the allotted time), then I really can't help you there.

Honestly, I've only gotten tickets for expired metered parking probably no more than 3 times in my lifetime. And I pay them as soon as I get them without complaining because I know that I screwed up. And all three times were accidental, I thought I was back within the time period allotted and I was mistaken. Nobody mistakenly parks in a red zone. You do that on purpose.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:

Posted on: 2012/2/6 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:

Posted on: 2012/2/6 14:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/12 15:19
Group:
Banned
You parked illegally and you got a ticket,tuff cookies,the reson for the red zone[and sometimes the yellow]is for emergency vehicles to swing aruond the tight corners of our city,these sre federally mandated and seriously enforced after 911.also federal funding could be jeopardised if these red and yellow zones are not complied with.A red zone meter spot is for you to use while shopping,not t o park for more than 20 minutes.high gas prices,strict parking laws,and high toll prices are designed to lessen traffic in the urban areas why not get out of your car and walk take a train or bus ?this is the way its gonna be,better get used to it,and by the way hows your car insurance doing?if Iran starts acting up gas prices will soar,better get ready

Posted on: 2012/2/5 10:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The main 2 reasons for parking signs are;

1. Safety Reasons
2. Sharing the parking spot (time)

The use of permits, meters and ticket machines are only a way of generating revenue.

The only way governemnts should be generating revenue is by enforcing the 'share' and 'safety' breaches.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 7:24
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:

Posted on: 2012/2/5 6:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This thread is getting a lil #OOPS#y.

Posted on: 2012/2/4 1:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/6 17:58
Group:
Registered Users
It's not a new statute, at least not according to the link to the statute provided above. There, it states that it was passed in September 1994. Which means the cops have just started enforcing this 17 years after the fact. And trust me, you could park partially in a (poorly maintained) red zone w/o consequences for (at least) the last six years. But that's what cops do.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 20:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/24 19:41
Group:
Registered Users
I KNOW it is violating the law. That is not the issue here.
It is the PROCESS of paying the fine that is being debated.
It is a NEW STATUTE. That is all I am saying.
Please keep on topic.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
They want you in court so that the JCPA can try to extract more money from you than the face value of the ticket. The offer might be that if you pay the court $200 they would make the ticket disappear and no points on your record.

Parking ticket carry no points.

That's correct, they just want to extract more money from you.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 19:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
May I invoke the phrase "Holier Than Thou".
Geez, did you ever consider becoming a preacher?

Posted on: 2012/2/3 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ogden1 wrote:
Thx. Vigilante. You are probably right about why I rec'd the ticket.
I did phone the court today.
This is a NEW statute. It is not yet printed on the ticket form itself. The amount of the fine has not been made public. Soooo, they are sending me a court appearance document within 2 weeks and hopefully when I go to court the beauracracy will have ended.

Snowflake 20.
"Generally I don't violate traffic or parking rules which doesn't make me a perfect driver, more like a law abiding one. I don't like to pay fines and get tickets."

I guess you are assuming that I violate the law and I like to pay fines???? Remember your comments when in future you are overtime at a meter or make some other parking/traffic mistake. Your comments are juvenile.

Getting a ticket bc your meter expires is a completely different issue than KNOWINGLY parking in a red or yellow zone. I think people who blatantly ignore parking rules and park where they are hindering the sight vision of other cars and pedestrians are pretty juvenile and selfish imo. If you can't find a legal parking spot near your home or wherever you are heading, keep looking until you do.

And btw, parking in a red zone IS violating the law. That's why you got the ticket.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 17:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thx. Vigilante. You are probably right about why I rec'd the ticket.
I did phone the court today.
This is a NEW statute. It is not yet printed on the ticket form itself. The amount of the fine has not been made public. Soooo, they are sending me a court appearance document within 2 weeks and hopefully when I go to court the beauracracy will have ended.

Snowflake 20.
"Generally I don't violate traffic or parking rules which doesn't make me a perfect driver, more like a law abiding one. I don't like to pay fines and get tickets."

I guess you are assuming that I violate the law and I like to pay fines???? Remember your comments when in future you are overtime at a meter or make some other parking/traffic mistake. Your comments are juvenile.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
They want you in court so that the JCPA can try to extract more money from you than the face value of the ticket. The offer might be that if you pay the court $200 they would make the ticket disappear and no points on your record.

Parking ticket carry no points.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 15:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/3 14:48
Group:
Registered Users
You should of seen it in the 7's when everyone had giant cars that looked like "boats" nobody had no room to park anywhere, people today with their compact cars, you guys are lucky, one time they towed my Camaro to a lot in Maryland. The cops were tougher than they are now, could learn a couple lessons.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ogden1 wrote:
Same thing happened to me. Parked in a red zone. Tried to pay online to no avail so I dropped tix and a check in the mail. They were mailed back with a note that I must call Traffic Violations for a court appearance. Funny, the Court Appearance box was not checked off on the ticket. Wondering why I have to go to court for a parking violation?? Will call tomorrow and keep you posted.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Wow - so JC cops are finally enforcing some traffic safety laws! You were obstructing the view of both drivers and pedestrians by parking too close to the intersection. That's a hazard for people trying to safely cross the intersection. Here's a thought: How about NOT owning a car? Plenty of people get by just fine without one. You won't get much sympathy from me or others on this board kvetching about parking. Contrary to what they teach in NJ civics classes, free and easy parking is not a god-given or constitutional right.

How about NOT telling people what they should or shouldn't own, yeah?

Posted on: 2012/2/3 4:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There probably have been too many tickets and complaints and also repeat offenders so perhaps this is their way of teaching you guys a lesson. Who knows? Hopefully you will get your answer when you go to court.

Generally I don't violate traffic or parking rules which doesn't make me a perfect driver, more like a law abiding one. I don't like to pay fines and get tickets.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I'm guessing, because I've seen it recently and often in the past, that one of those big 18 wheelers wandered into our streets and your car was possibly obstructing it. The cops sometimes have to get involved and get very pissed because the trucks are a pain in the ass to get out. I have seen them ticket cars that are making it difficult by being parked in red zones etc. Might be what happened.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 4:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Think the point is the fact that we have to go to court for a simple parking ticket versus just paying it online or snail mail.
I admit my guilt. This is something new. I thought you only go to court for serious moving violations. Never heard of Motor Vehicle. Nuisance and it seems no one else did either. Will find out tomorrow.
Good luck to all you perfect drivers.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

billaccidental wrote:
i live downtown where the parking is getting harder every day. i moved my car around the corner last friday afternoon to get it out of the way of the street sweeper, and an hour later when i went to move it back i found a weird parking ticket--not the orange-bordered printed kind that the parking authority carts give out, but a handwritten one put there by a cop. the citation was 'motor vehicle nuisance' ordinance 242-7, and there's no way to pay it online or by mail--i have to show up in court. part of my car was in the red zone (the 25' from the intersection where the curb is painted), but there wasn't any other open spot. my car's not falling apart; it doesn't have an alarm. so what kind of nuisance is it? and what alternative do we have, other than parking way far away from the blocks that are getting swept? every day, cars park overnight in all eight of the red zones at this intersection--even in the one next to a fire hydrant. are they all nuisances, too? periodically i get the standard $42 parking ticket (like everyone) and pay it without complaining; i figure it's one of the recurring costs of living here, like a tax, and the tickets are pretty random and sporadic. but what's this nuisance crap?

What alternatives do you have? Not park in a red zone. Not really that hard.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 2:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Same thing happened to me. Parked in a red zone. Tried to pay online to no avail so I dropped tix and a check in the mail. They were mailed back with a note that I must call Traffic Violations for a court appearance. Funny, the Court Appearance box was not checked off on the ticket. Wondering why I have to go to court for a parking violation?? Will call tomorrow and keep you posted.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Wrong place to come for compassion.

Posted on: 2012/2/3 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
? 242-7. - Nuisance.

It is hereby declared a nuisance for any person to drive, maintain or use a motor vehicle in any manner so as to:

A.

Create or cause to be created a breach of peace.

B.

Create or cause to be created any disturbance or annoyance to the comfort and repose of any person.

C.

Obstruct the free passage of pedestrians or other motor vehicles.

D.

Interfere with the safety of pedestrians or other vehicles.

E.

Engage in any course of conduct alarming to any reasonable person.

LINK TO MUNICIPAL CODE

Posted on: 2012/2/2 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
nuisance: "an act not warranted by law, or an omission to discharge a legal duty, which act or omission obstructs or causes inconvenience or damage to the public in the exercise of rights common to all His Majesty's subjects".

Street cleaning is not an excuse to break the law. Get a garage spot, plan your parking better, or walk farther, but the laws are in place for a reason; safety.

Perhaps the cop has seen you repeatedly breaking the law. If a standard ticket doesn't work, they have to make you change your behavior in another way.

Posted on: 2012/2/2 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Wow - so JC cops are finally enforcing some traffic safety laws! You were obstructing the view of both drivers and pedestrians by parking too close to the intersection. That's a hazard for people trying to safely cross the intersection. Here's a thought: How about NOT owning a car? Plenty of people get by just fine without one. You won't get much sympathy from me or others on this board kvetching about parking. Contrary to what they teach in NJ civics classes, free and easy parking is not a god-given or constitutional right.

Posted on: 2012/2/2 21:09

parking ticket: motor vehicle nuisance? huh?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/20 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
i live downtown where the parking is getting harder every day. i moved my car around the corner last friday afternoon to get it out of the way of the street sweeper, and an hour later when i went to move it back i found a weird parking ticket--not the orange-bordered printed kind that the parking authority carts give out, but a handwritten one put there by a cop. the citation was 'motor vehicle nuisance' ordinance 242-7, and there's no way to pay it online or by mail--i have to show up in court. part of my car was in the red zone (the 25' from the intersection where the curb is painted), but there wasn't any other open spot. my car's not falling apart; it doesn't have an alarm. so what kind of nuisance is it? and what alternative do we have, other than parking way far away from the blocks that are getting swept? every day, cars park overnight in all eight of the red zones at this intersection--even in the one next to a fire hydrant. are they all nuisances, too? periodically i get the standard $42 parking ticket (like everyone) and pay it without complaining; i figure it's one of the recurring costs of living here, like a tax, and the tickets are pretty random and sporadic. but what's this nuisance crap?

Posted on: 2012/2/2 20:58

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017