Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: B4K coming to JC?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
No conspiracy. That was me.

I donated the original soccer website for the JCCSA. Someone built a newer, better one and was supposed to forward the domain. Shelley needed a "quick and dirty" website for her new role and I was trying to help her out one day and threw one up there for her to take a look at. I told her she could forward her domain there until she got something better. She ended up getting a website set-up and never used it. I neglected to take it down and the hosting was set to expire so I figured it didn't matter. I also didn't think it would show to public since the old domain was supposed to be forwarded. I will take it down. Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/9/3 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
ok, to feed the conspiracy theory or just a really weird coincidence. remember a couple of years ago that B4K gave out back packs and school supplies to people that registered through then councilman Fulop. they also more recently gave out post Sandy gift cards (don't recall how to register but had a little controversy.)

I was signing my son up for the JCSA and clicked on the link for the Travel Soccer Program. The link given for more info is -

FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT OUR ASSOCIATION WEB SITE AT www.newjerseysoccer.net OR E-MAIL jssoccer@verizon.net.

clinking that link goes to an arm of B4K - Better Education For Kids Institute

I copied the screen below, but just the text copied.

what is the relationship with the JCSA Travel Team and B4K?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

BEI
+732 640 1460

About us
Contact

Quality education has been inequitably distributed in New Jersey and the nation for far too long.

This fundamental challenge goes unanswered in many of our struggling communities.
Top ABOUT US AND OUR TEAM ABOUT US
Our beliefs

BEI believes there are three key program areas that create sustainable and enduring educational change to provide low-income and at-risk children with a better future.

Race and income should not determine a child?s future. Absence of quality preschool programs, teacher quality and lack of professional development, low expectations for poor children and families, poor school leadership and governance.

Children in high poverty communities need access to cultural and academic enrichment. Economically disadvantaged parents do not have the time or financial resources to provide their children with extracurricular and enrichment activities.

All children need a safe environment in which to learn after the traditional school day has ended. A lack of quality after-school programs for low-income families.

The team

Shelley Skinner - Executive Director

David Tepper - Trustee

Alan Fournier - Trustee

Lawrence Rogers - Trustee
Improving Student Outcomes

BEI will seed start- up funding for effective education programs from across the country in high poverty communities across New Jersey. This is an opportunity to leverage the unprecedented amount of philanthropic dollars committed to improving the future for thousands of children living in poverty in NJ.

Our goal is to support bring the nation's most effective education programs and interventions to New Jersey's high need districts. We know there is no one cure all to improving academic achievement for low income students and we are committed to working with district leaders, teachers and communities to create conditions for success.
Shelley Skinner - Executive Director

Top BIOS
Executive Director

Shelley Skinner is the Executive Director of Better Education for Kids Institute. Before joining the Better Education for Kids team, Shelley served as the Director of Development and Community Relations for one of the highest performing charter schools in New Jersey, the Learning Community Charter School. Shelley was a member of Governor Christie?s Education Transition Team and currently serves as the Advocacy Chair on the board of The New Jersey Charter Public Schools Association. From 1996-2006 Shelley worked as a producer and international distributor of high quality children?s programming, most notably Thomas The Tank Engine. In 2007, Shelley was named Jersey City Woman of Action for her work in education advocacy. In 2009 Shelley ran a successful city Council election campaign where her candidate won 63% of the vote. Shelley is a graduate of Pitzer College, and a native of Chicago, Il.
Board of Trustees

David Tepper is the President of Appaloosa Management L.P., a $15B hedge fund he founded in 1993. Previous to Appaloosa David worked at Republic Steel in Cleveland, Ohio and Boston?s Keystone Mutual Funds. He joined Goldman Sachs as a credit analyst in 1985 and went on to become the head trader of the firm?s high yield bond desk until 1993.

In 2003, David donated $55M to Carnegie Mellon University?s business school, now known as the Tepper School of Business. He is a member of the Board of Trustees of Carnegie Mellon University and is on the Tepper Business School Board of Advisors. David also serves on the Board of Robin Hood and various boards and committees for other charitable organizations. His charitable interests include University of Pittsburgh, Rutgers University, Phoenix House, United Jewish Appeal, St. Anthony High School, Community Food Bank of New Jersey, Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank and many other food pantries, soup kitchens and shelters in the New Jersey and Pittsburgh region.

David received his master of science in industrial administration from Carnegie Mellon University?s business school in 1982 and his BA in economics with honors from the University of Pittsburgh in 1978. David, his wife Marlene and family reside in New Jersey.

Alan P. Fournier is the Managing Member and founder of Pennant Capital Management, L.L.C., which he formed in 2001. Based in Summit, New Jersey, Pennant currently manages $6 billion. From 1996 through 2000, Mr. Fournier was the partner responsible for global equity investments at Appaloosa Management L.P. Mr. Fournier began his investment career at Sanford C. Bernstein in 1988, and became a partner there in 1990.

Mr. Fournier serves on the TEAM Schools Board of Governors. TEAM Schools, a KIPP region, is a cluster of five schools in Newark, N.J. that instill in their students the desire and ability to succeed in college, in order to change the world. Mr. Fournier formerly served as Trustee and Treasurer of Far Hills Country Day School where he also chaired the Finance Committee and the Investment Committee.

The Fournier Family Foundation focuses upon education, the support of animals in need, and The Wounded Warrior Project among other charitable efforts. Within the educational sphere the foundation has supported the development of charter programs, need based scholarships, the NJ SEEDS program, and the reform of the public education system in New Jersey. The Fournier family has also directly supported education reform through Better Education for New Jersey Kids, Inc. which is a political action committee Mr. Fournier helped create.

Mr. Fournier holds a B.S. in Engineering from Wentworth Institute of Technology, where he graduated with honors in 1983. He resides in Far Hills, New Jersey, with his wife Jennifer and their four children.

Lawrence Rogers is the Chief Administrative Officer of Appaloosa Management L.P., a $14B hedge fund founded in 1993. Lawrence began his career at Arthur Andersen & Co. in 1981, ultimately being promoted to manager. Lawrence then joined The Bear Sterns Companies Inc. as head of Financial Reporting in 1986 and ultimately was responsible for Executive Compensation and Insurance until 2008 when he left to join Appaloosa Management in his current role.

Lawrence has given to several charities in New Jersey including, the Community Food Bank of NJ, West Orange Sunshine Fund, Seton Hall Prep and Seton Hall University. He also sits on the Board of the West Orange Scholarship Foundation. Lawrence is also the Treasurer of Better Education for Kids, Inc., a social welfare organization devoted to reforming public school education in New Jersey.

Lawrence received his BA in accounting from the Upsala College in 1981.
Top SOME OF OUR FAVORITES SELECTED BEI PROJECTS
Top OUR TAKE ON ED REFORM LATEST BLOG POSTS
Top BECOME A MEMBER OF BEI JOIN
Coming soon!

Top FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US CONTACT
EXPAND MAP

Use this form to send us a message:

Get in touch with us

Address: 94 Church Street, Ste. 201, New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Phone: (732) 604 1460
Fax: (732) 604 1455

Email: info@b4njkids.org

BLah blah blah blah same some stuff here etc etc we are so glad you want to call us, it's great we are always here to pick up the phone etc.

Copyright ? 2013 Better Education For Kids Institute. All rights reserved.

Scroll to top

Posted on: 2013/9/3 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Since B4K did not answer my questions, I guess I'll have to follow up here.

http://www.app.com/article/CN/2012111 ... th-District-Assembly-race

So the answer is yes. B4K poured an astonishing $109,000 into the special election for the NJ Assembly seat. This is as much as the State Republican Party spent assisting Simon.

I also found this quote interesting.

"Executive Director Michael Lilley said Simon was ?pro-education reform,? including backing the Opportunity Scholarship Act, a proposed voucher program that would assist parents in some of the poorest school districts to afford private schools. The legislation is opposed by the NJEA."

This would seem to belie the assertion of some who say B4K's only agenda is tenure reform and that they do not support vouchers.

I guess my next question is whether the members of Team Fulop support this agenda and agree with the decision to support a tea party Republican over a public school teacher for the Assembly seat? And how much money will they take from B4K PAC?

And still waiting on the decision about double breasted suits.

Posted on: 2012/12/5 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
There's as much money to to made in Education as in Funeral Homes. Rich folk sees an opportunity, best believe they snap it up! Rmoney 2012!

Posted on: 2012/10/24 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
So will the children who get a better education and have a chance to be a hedge fund manager themselves someday.

Posted on: 2012/10/23 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The hedge fund managers of the world thank you for your generosity and support. It's good to know money is going where it's needed.

Posted on: 2012/10/23 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Donating to B4K right now. Thanks for putting them on my radar again.

Posted on: 2012/10/23 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Now that tenure reform is passed, what is B4K's purpose? If not vouchers, what?

Is it true that they are supporting Donna Simon over Marie Corfield, the public school teacher who stood up to Governor Christie? Why?

Who else are they supporting?

And will director Derrell Bradford make the switch back to double-breasted suits?

These are important questions. We have a right to know.

Posted on: 2012/10/23 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
This another great example of the difficult nature of the "evolution" Dan is undergoing. New Dan is saying "I think my initial concerns were warranted", but Old Dan (or was he already "New Dan" and we didn't know it yet) endorsed the slate of board of ed candidates funded in part by the group you are complaining about.

Old Dan said, earlier in this thread:

Quote:
My skepticism is about and use of PACs (Political Action Committees) and their undue influence on campaign finance and elections.

But New Dan sought the opportunity (not "reluctantly accepted the invitation") to run with someone who benefited from over $360,000 in PAC money during his last campaign.

Posted on: 2012/10/23 17:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
Dan
I am not going to go into a back and forth with you as I think you have done enough damage to yourself already but on this point alone? I mean please? desperation is quite evident on your part.

First to your point on B4K, anyone who wants to do any research can go their website or the Star Ledger Editorial board praising them for pushing BI-PARTISAN tenure reform that was embraced by leaders in the state senate from both parties, the governor and the NJEA. They are not supporters of vouchers or anything like that. The founder David Tepper is the son of public school teachers. They are supporters of mine as in 20 years since state control in Jersey City I am actually the only elected official to get involved in change for the schools and say that the schools need to improve to fix the city. It hasn?t been perfect, I think we can all appreciate some missteps on my part, and obvious political risks but the road less traveled here is the right one that I believe in despite political risks. Can you say the same with your political alliances to gain a title? I don?t think so and that hostage video you emailed out with the mayor was second to none.

It is quite hypocritical that you slam people and raise misinformation with about B4K and policy issues but you turn a blind eye to the mayoral candidate you are running with refusing to return BRIBE money that will fund your campaign. I am baffled you can call for resignation for bribe money but when it goes to benefit you personally it is ok? The difference here is I haven?t changed my views Dan.

Your email not wreaks of sour grapes as in the last filing yes we raised more campaign funds than the mayor. We had more small donors, more large donors, and more jersey city donors. The only category we lost is city management employees who want the status quo. I think this in of itself speaks volumes as well.

Finally, this new Dan Levin is something of a concern. I watched last week at the council meeting from the dais where there was a contentious meeting against some favorable zoning changes to benefit a a huge Healy donor. The Van Vorst Park Association spoke out against it and they had countless concerns despite the building trades that support the mayor railing for this giveaway the donor. I sat on the council and kept thinking? Dan Levin from 6 months ago would have sided with the community/Van Vorst Park residents and spoken up at the council meeting however, Dan Levin from today sat in quiet next to Healy?s assistant business administration and didn?t say a word while letting the community get pushed over.

I have ignored much of the back and forth about you but you are overstepping here and showing what you have become. Actions are what matters here and if you want a shovel for the hole you are digging please let me know.. I am happy to help out.

Steve

Posted on: 2012/10/23 15:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/26 0:25
Group:
Banned
Want to know about B4K? In the 16th district they are backing a Tea Party Republican who voted against womens' health legislation, who is in lock step with Christie and Cerf's schools privatization agenda. Her name is Donna Simon. Who is Simon's competitor? A public school teacher.

That says something about the folks in JC who take their money.

Here is more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuEyktSoAW0

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/07 ... n-EduScammer-David-Tepper

Posted on: 2012/10/23 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
B4K is back in Jersey City and and founders/funders and spouses are helping to fund 2013 municipal campaigns to the tune $10k+ for a mayoral candidate and $40k+ for a municipal candidates committee. now someone who believes in conspiracies might try to connect the dots, or think this was a quid pro quo. obviously, nothing illegal, but outside hedge fund money coming to JC ..... this is new and upping the ante .....

I think my initial concerns were warranted, especially noting the above posters intertwining subsequent relationships ....

Posted on: 2012/10/23 5:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
this book review (and the book being reviewed) pretty much covers the territory and talks about the somewhat narrow focus of prominent school reform efforts. It is also representitive of the back and forth dialogue I had with B4K.

suggest at least looking over the last six or so paragraphs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/boo ... &ref=books&pagewanted=all

Posted on: 2011/8/20 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
Spectra Energy is donating $50,000 to a scholarship fund for local inner-city students. do we take this at face value that their business is passionate about Jersey City kids or can we question their intent or motive to influence public opinion in Jersey City?

Should B4K do something like this, how should we view it?

@ShelleySkinner - since I have not received answers to the invited questions I sent you, I cannot see how you can draw your conclusion.

not against B4K, still trying to figure out what it is and what it will do. yes, against the use of PACs.

re: "Achievement Gap" - is there anything in the B4K material that addresses the achievement gap?

re: disclosure - Disclosure of $5,000 and above ($10,000 in a two donor household) is a pretty high threshold when NJ Elec requires disclosure of $300 and above, how about revisiting.

@Candace - I believe perceived intent is important, a reality and influences actions.

re: "bad education in Jersey City" - my children are not getting a bad education in the Jersey City public district schools, nor are their classmates and we have some excellent educational opportunities before us as they go forward.

I guess we'll wait and see and follow the money.

DanL - you make no sense. Literally. Most of what you wrote is impossible to understand. Perceived intent? Who's perception, yours? It always boils down to money is evil for you - why is that? You raise money to run campaigns. Everyone should trust that you alone know how much is "the right amount" and doesn't compromise your integrity? Please - little bit pregnant?

You are in the game or you aren't. You are a politician, my friend, as much as you'd like to pretend otherwise. You've run for mayor. You are running for council. You will run for mayor or council again. You raise money. You back candidates. You scoff at the political and economic motivations of others yet you do the same things, just poorly.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 20:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

murican wrote:
Candace,
NJEA is a professional trade union. Yes, its first priority is its members, teachers and educational staff.

B4K is a PAC. A political organization that seems to have a "conservative right" agenda. Their definitions of educational reform are troubling to me. This organization does not seem to be in the best interests of the students/teachers/schools/working class, (my personal opinion).
I'm with Dan and JPhurst on this.

Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Candice, whose motives and intentions are being questioned in the clip below. And who is doing the questioning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DcS1-uOWqFk

I see what you are getting at and don't disagree with you on some of the assumptions in that commercial - I really hate to question anyone's motives - I like to stick to stated objectives. From the website from the NJEA here are the goals:

* Member Advocacy - To preserve and improve the economic interests, working conditions, job security, and pensions of all members. --> about the teachers

* Organizing - To strengthen the Association by maximizing membership, developing leadership, and supporting affiliates.--> about the teachers

* Enhancing Public Education - To promote and deliver quality professional development for educators. To advance and support policies that enhance and enrich public education. --> 1/2 about the teachers / 1/2 about the kids

Based on public goals from their websites it is mostly about the teachers. I believe the union is doing a good job at advocating their primary stated interest. I don't think they should be doing a single thing different from what they are doing. I don't think they are bad or evil people - AT ALL. I do think that sometimes interests aren't aligned and I do wonder if the union is fully representative of all interests. If parents were members and paid dues would the message change? That being said - I don't question their motives or intents, I only judge what they have publicly stated via the 3 goals above - which in my opinion - is structured a little to heavy on the grownups and a little to light on the kids.

I think you and I probably disagree on the best approach to solve the bad education in Jersey City, but I DON'T for a minute question your intentions and I hope you don't question mine...That I guess was my only point in all of this...

For the record - 1) I think the NJEA is doing exactly what they should be doing and 2) they also have a political PAC

I am a non-partisan, not a conservative right. I believe it is a non-partisan group with both republicans and democrats sitting on the board. What do you mean by "conservative right"? This is exactly my point - let's get specific and talk about specific things that they support and discuss the merits of those things. Then the conversation becomes about is this a good idea yes or no and why or why not. What is happening on this thread is just tossing them out because they are some blob of scary right wing something or other (whatever that means.) As someone who knows Shelley Skinner pretty well, I'm not willing to do that.

When I look at the things they support such as tenure reform and changing LIFO, I think they are common sense policies that I support. I support tenure reform because I believe that people are motivated via both reward and fear. I support tenure reform because I believe that people are not static and that just because someone can be interested and motivated for 3 years until they are granted tenure, doesn't mean that they will continue to be motivated. I believe this is fundamental human behavior and so therefore I would like to see an incentive system more aligned to human behavior which includes both carrots and sticks. I do not like LIFO because I want the best person in front of my (or any other child) PERIOD. LIFO is such an arbitrary policy that it necessarily means that a better person will get laid off first. Do I think there are other things that can be done besides these two? Of course absolutely. However not every group has to tackle every problem/solution. They have said this is that they are going after and I'll take them at their word and give them support.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 20:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:

Success and good intentions are not mutually exclusive. I'm not successful, but I sure hope I am one day. If I do reach a point where I'm viewed as "successful" and I want to give back in some way that may not line up with other people's view points on how to solve the issue at hand, does that mean I will turn into a bad and vicious person with ulterior motives? I hope not...

Not at all.

As you become successful, I hope you do give back to the community. We all should.

But the question is, when it comes to political involvement, elections, and the like, whether you should have any more influence once you have become "successful." In my book, your positions on teacher tenure, vouchers, charters, adequate school funding, etc are no more or less valid based on the amount of money you have.

Completely agreed that all view points should be heard. I guess my point is that there is a distortion today. To me the vast majority of the public is never heard. I think you look at the natural communication channels of special interest groups (both left and right) and they distort the way our government would behave if all voices were equal. I think it is exacerbated at a local level where you sit as a poll challenger in a local election and see targeted voters who are literally listed as "city employees". Because the general public doesn't have natural and built in communication channels (equivalent of your boss or one of his lieutenants tapping your shoulder to point out the fact that you haven't voted for him), I think a counter balance is good. Because the union does a good job at representing their interest and they have funding via dues and built in communication channels, etc, I think there is room for a counter view point. If that counter view point is funded by a few with more money, but represents the interests I support and builds some type of communication channel around that, then I am willing to give them a shot based on their stated intentions.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:

Success and good intentions are not mutually exclusive. I'm not successful, but I sure hope I am one day. If I do reach a point where I'm viewed as "successful" and I want to give back in some way that may not line up with other people's view points on how to solve the issue at hand, does that mean I will turn into a bad and vicious person with ulterior motives? I hope not...

Not at all.

As you become successful, I hope you do give back to the community. We all should.

But the question is, when it comes to political involvement, elections, and the like, whether you should have any more influence once you have become "successful." In my book, your positions on teacher tenure, vouchers, charters, adequate school funding, etc are no more or less valid based on the amount of money you have.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
maybe I'm just cynical (and certainly not the brightest bulb in the tree), but, why would a couple of millionaire "hedge-fund financiers" really care about this stuff? they'll get the best and brightest kids out there anyway

They care because they can afford to send their children to private schools but pay taxes to educate the children of the poors. If you don't care about the outcome of the educational system, reducing the budget through "innovative" methods like lowering teacher compensation, your taxes will go down. And when you are millionaire hedge funder with oversized luxury properties, a small reduction in the property tax rate is a huge reduction in the tax bill.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Candace,
NJEA is a professional trade union. Yes, its first priority is its members, teachers and educational staff.

B4K is a PAC. A political organization that seems to have a "conservative right" agenda. Their definitions of educational reform are troubling to me. This organization does not seem to be in the best interests of the students/teachers/schools/working class, (my personal opinion).
I'm with Dan and JPhurst on this.

Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Candice, whose motives and intentions are being questioned in the clip below. And who is doing the questioning?

I see what you are getting at and don't disagree with you on some of the assumptions in that commercial - I really hate to question anyone's motives - I like to stick to stated objectives. From the website from the NJEA here are the goals:

* Member Advocacy - To preserve and improve the economic interests, working conditions, job security, and pensions of all members. --> about the teachers

* Organizing - To strengthen the Association by maximizing membership, developing leadership, and supporting affiliates.--> about the teachers

* Enhancing Public Education - To promote and deliver quality professional development for educators. To advance and support policies that enhance and enrich public education. --> 1/2 about the teachers / 1/2 about the kids

Based on public goals from their websites it is mostly about the teachers. I believe the union is doing a good job at advocating their primary stated interest. I don't think they should be doing a single thing different from what they are doing. I don't think they are bad or evil people - AT ALL. I do think that sometimes interests aren't aligned and I do wonder if the union is fully representative of all interests. If parents were members and paid dues would the message change? That being said - I don't question their motives or intents, I only judge what they have publicly stated via the 3 goals above - which in my opinion - is structured a little to heavy on the grownups and a little to light on the kids.

I think you and I probably disagree on the best approach to solve the bad education in Jersey City, but I DON'T for a minute question your intentions and I hope you don't question mine...That I guess was my only point in all of this...

Posted on: 2011/7/26 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Spectra Energy is donating $50,000 to a scholarship fund for local inner-city students. do we take this at face value that their business is passionate about Jersey City kids or can we question their intent or motive to influence public opinion in Jersey City?

Should B4K do something like this, how should we view it?

@ShelleySkinner - since I have not received answers to the invited questions I sent you, I cannot see how you can draw your conclusion.

not against B4K, still trying to figure out what it is and what it will do. yes, against the use of PACs.

re: "Achievement Gap" - is there anything in the B4K material that addresses the achievement gap?

re: disclosure - Disclosure of $5,000 and above ($10,000 in a two donor household) is a pretty high threshold when NJ Elec requires disclosure of $300 and above, how about revisiting.

@Candace - I believe perceived intent is important, a reality and influences actions.

re: "bad education in Jersey City" - my children are not getting a bad education in the Jersey City public district schools, nor are their classmates and we have some excellent educational opportunities before us as they go forward.

I guess we'll wait and see and follow the money.

Quote:

ShelleySkinner wrote:
Dan- I am not sure there is going to be anything that satisfy you on this issue. B4K is is disclosing donors because we have absolutely nothing to hide. I assume that you are against the long standing educational groups in the state (that take a different view on the issue) political non-profits as well.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 15:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:

Posted on: 2011/7/25 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/7/25 20:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/7 22:18
Group:
Registered Users
Dan- I am not sure there is going to be anything that satisfy you on this issue. B4K is is disclosing donors because we have absolutely nothing to hide. I assume that you are against the long standing educational groups in the state (that take a different view on the issue) political non-profits as well.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 15:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
because there are precedents - political nonprofits lack disclosure and transparency, they can and may flood local elections with money and open the the door to legalized corruption that we know so well in Jersey City.

today's Star Ledger editorial on this subject.

http://blog.nj.com/njv_editorial_page ... ts_must_revive_stall.html

Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
I think we reach a dangerous place when we make assumptions about people's intentions. I wish we could stick to facts and judge people and organizations based on actions and outcomes before we go immediately to questioning their character or intent.

In my opinion, caring about the educational outcome for urban children is not limited to people of a certain race, ethnicity, economic status, job or anything else. And to imply differently in mind shows a hidden bias.

Hi Dan.

Actually that is not at all what I am saying. This is a legal structure as determined by the supreme court. You can 100% argue the legal structure is no good and we can have a theoretical debate on whether these structures should exist or not - but it makes sense to do on a totally different thread than this. Just because you don't like the law and think it is no good doesn't mean someone following that law is a bad person with bad intentions.

For now, what we know is that there is a group who has stated they want to reform education and they are following the law to do it. I plan to judge them based on their stated intent, their actions and their results. Can shift the conversation back to that instead of issues that are for the supreme court? Do you have any issues with any of their stated intentions?

Posted on: 2011/7/25 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
because there are precedents - political nonprofits lack disclosure and transparency, they can and may flood local elections with money and open the the door to legalized corruption that we know so well in Jersey City.

today's Star Ledger editorial on this subject.

http://blog.nj.com/njv_editorial_page ... ts_must_revive_stall.html

Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
I think we reach a dangerous place when we make assumptions about people's intentions. I wish we could stick to facts and judge people and organizations based on actions and outcomes before we go immediately to questioning their character or intent.

In my opinion, caring about the educational outcome for urban children is not limited to people of a certain race, ethnicity, economic status, job or anything else. And to imply differently in mind shows a hidden bias.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 2:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/7/23 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
maybe I'm just cynical (and certainly not the brightest bulb in the tree), but, why would a couple of millionaire "hedge-fund financiers" really care about this stuff? they'll get the best and brightest kids out there anyway

Posted on: 2011/7/20 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The numbers are misleading, and even Politifact's "Mostly True" rating recognizes that Christie fudged the numbers.

A termination for "incompetence" or "inefficiency" is but one subset of why teachers are terminated. Usually, teachers will also be accused of some sort of misconduct or "conduct unbecoming." This includes the alleged corporal punishment, insubbordination, poor attendance, and the like.

My experience with these cases is in New York, not New Jersey. However, where the school wants to get rid of a bad teacher, it is much easier for them to come up with specifications for misconduct instead of or in addition to charges of incompetency. The incompetency charge alone basically says that the teacher has not engaged in affirmative acts of bad behavior, but just can't teach at all. Instead, the school district likes to pile on charges of malfeasance, often trumped up, to smear the teacher and make it easier to get a decision against them.

As the article notes, there were about four times as many teachers who were dismissed for other reasons.

This also ignores the fact that the profession weeds its own out. The three year probationary period shakes a lot of poor teachers out (If a teacher was that lousy, it's highly unlikely a district would give them tenure after three years when it had the ability to fire them summarily without a hearing). There are plenty of others who are pressured to resign because it is made clear that they are not welcome and they would rather avoid the hearing process, instead choosing to get on with their lives.

Nevertheless, the NJ system from what I know of it, appears to be bureaucratic and cumbersome. The solution is not to revoke tenure, the solution is to streamline the process. The legendary "rubber rooms" in NYC were cleared out in less than half a year when the union and DOE agreed to expedited procedures.

There is one party who has proposed the simple solution of replacing the government administrative hearings with arbitration proceedings. This would speed up the process significantly.

Hint, it is NOT Governor Christie that proposed this.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Out of 150,000 tenured teachers in the last 10 years, only 17 have been dismissed for incompetence.
Chris Christie on Friday, April 29th, 2011 in a speech at the Harvard Graduate School of Education

http://www.politifact.com/new-jersey/ ... only-17-150000-tenured-n/

Posted on: 2011/7/19 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
"Tenure" is a misnomer. The job protection afforded to tenured teachers is not akin to the near guarantee of lifetime employment for professors in higher education.

It is essentially the same thing as the "just cause" protection that is available to most civil service employees and any private sector employee that has a union. Teachers, just like those employees, can and do get terminated for misconduct or poor performance.

There is one other difference. Most employees with such protections have a brief probationary period. Sometimes 30 days, sometimes as much as a year, before they receive job protection. Teachers do not receive such protection until after three years. Before that the school can fire them for any reason.

The stories we hear about the "rubber room" are not because of "tenure" itself but because the administrative hearing process is cumbersome and overly bureaucratic. There is no reason that it cannot be conducted like a labor arbitration or simply replaced with that process.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 13:10

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017