Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Crossing Marin to Get to The Mall

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/31 18:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
10th & Erie ? Many people have suggested that this blinking light be changed to a fully functional light due a high number of accidents at this intersection. However, working with the Traffic division, our office has determined that a fully functional light would require a complete overhaul of the existing intersection and is not necessary. The East Police District has stepped up enforcement in this area.

This is the drivers' fault, not the light. People in JC have no clue how to obey the rules of that intersection. A flashing yellow light means proceed with caution, not stop. A flashing red light means stop and then proceed if crossing traffic has cleared.

They also really struggle with stop signs that aren't all way. Everyone needs to go back to driving school.

Even if there was a fully functional light at every intersection, people are still going to hit pedestrians and still block the box. JC people just don't know how to drive.

Enforcement is a problem as well. The PD could cover its entire budget by writing tickets for blocking the box on 12th street. Then eventually traffic could actually cross at Erie, Grove, and Marin.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Eighth and Manilla/Grove needs a stop sign BIG TIME

Posted on: 2010/3/29 17:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/29 11:21
From Jersey City, Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
RobotJustin, check out Councilman Steven Fulop's Winter 2010 update. There is supposed to be a new traffic light installed at Marin & 9th St. This was supposed to be installed in 2008 but of course for seemingly ridiculous reasons, its been delayed. This came about after one of the Crossing guards was struck and injured by a car about 2 Summers ago, and I'd like to think at some of my emails to the city urging the serious need for a crossing light at this section. The sickest part of all of this is that it is a major pedestrian crossing for all residents who live in the Hamilton Park district and need to pass through the shopping Mall to get to Path and other areas. I'm totally with you in your anger and frustration at vehicle drivers treating Marin as well as Erie St. like the INDY500 speedway.

See Fulop's report below...
See this link for full report --> Councilman Fulop - Winter 2010 Update

TRAFFIC AND STREET LIGHTS UPDATE

Traffic Lights:

2nd & Marin? The current administration has deemed this intersection not in need of a traffic light.

9th & Marin ? The intersection is currently under design and should be ready for construction in late spring or early summer.

10th & Erie ? Many people have suggested that this blinking light be changed to a fully functional light due a high number of accidents at this intersection. However, working with the Traffic division, our office has determined that a fully functional light would require a complete overhaul of the existing intersection and is not necessary. The East Police District has stepped up enforcement in this area.

Street Lamps:

Our office is currently working on obtaining lighting under various portions of the elevated light rail tracks, which pose a safety risk.

Opening of Greene Street (at the intersection of Washington and 2nd Street)

A pre-construction meeting was convened with the representatives of various agencies and divisions in order to move this project forward. Work will commence in early spring with the result being a pedestrian and driver friendly intersection.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The real problem here is that state statute has already dealt with this issue: cars must stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk. Its the law, period. The disconnect between the law and the enforcement of the law however is creating a serious public safety issue. Either the city needs to do a better job of enforcing the law or change the traffic pattern with a traffic light or the installation of speed bumps or the elimination of through traffic.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's simple. There needs to be a stoplight at 9th. I hope the reports that one is coming are true. If they are, that certainly confirms that those of us complaining that the existing crossing is unsafe are correct.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 20:25
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
A real city balances the needs the local walking population and the cars and values the safety of pedestrians.

They did, it's called the lights at 8th and 6th and a crosswalk at 9th.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GlitterQueen wrote:

I know there are some cracked out hippies who want to make Jersey City only for pedestrians but guess what that will not happen and also you are like what 3 blocks from the Holland Tunnel? wouldn't you use some common sense and consider more than just you. traffic patterns matter in a city.

I ride my bike to the Path when it is nice out and I used to live up there by Hamilton park and somehow i had no problem crossing the street... oh yeah because i had the common sense to go down a block to 6th so i wouldn't get my ass killed. you live in a city.

Living "in a city" means pedestrians are accommodated. If there is a need for a crossing (say between two schools and a residential neighborhood and a major shopping and transportation hub), a real city does not place pedestrian lives at risk for the benefit of drivers seeking to get out of town. A real city balances the needs the local walking population and the cars and values the safety of pedestrians. There is a word for places that prefer the cars: suburbs.

The argument that pedestrians should "just walk a block" out of their way (two blocks if you are not headed south, since you have to walk back up) is unrealistic. You can talk about what people "should" do, but a real city looks at what they will do. And that is walk along the shortest route between two points.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 19:19
I live by the river.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/1 19:42
Group:
Registered Users
It's also very dangerous (and annoying) that people do not stop at the stop sign at 6th and Marin, heading away from the mall. It's a pain to cross there when there's traffic, as it seems that only about 1 in 20 cars actually stop at the stop sign before turning onto Marin.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
> Increasing the traffic on Marin Blvd is a self correcting
> problem. The worse the congestion, the more people will
> seek alternative transportation instead of driving.

And the worse the traffic on Erie and Jersey will be.

Robin.

Less worries about speeding cars careening into pedestrians and houses if they are crawling along in congested traffic.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
> Increasing the traffic on Marin Blvd is a self correcting
> problem. The worse the congestion, the more people will
> seek alternative transportation instead of driving.

And the worse the traffic on Erie and Jersey will be.

Robin.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Increasing the traffic on Marin Blvd is a self correcting problem. The worse the congestion, the more people will seek alternative transportation instead of driving. Also, with enough congestion on Marin, it becomes a very safe road to cross because the vehicles are moving too slowly to harm pedestrians.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well said GlitterQueen.

Robin.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
There's a cross-walk at 9th, and I've got every right to use it. Drivers, who treat Marin like the INDY 500, do not, however, have the right to not yield to my exercising of my pedestrian rights.

Yield to me, drivers, or face the consequences!

It's amazing that some people seem to be addicted to wasting their own time. Walking to the light and waiting would add close to 5 minutes to my commute every day - time I could be spending bitching about stuff on JCLIST, or doing my tae-bo.

If you're opinion doesn't pertain directly to the question proposed, then I'd kindly suggest you refrain from nattering. Nobody cares about your opinion unless it addresses the problematic at hand. So, for example, Azul_The_Cat - your opinion about walking down to 8th street and crossing at the light - nobody cares about that. If I wanted to hear about alternate routes, I'd of asked "hey, any ideas about stop-lighted crossing areas on Marin?" But see, the reason I didn't ask that question is because I already know that that light is there - so, in other words, what in your nature compelled you to offer such objectively 1. annoying and 2. unrelated advice? Are you possessed by a demon of nagging? What force in you, exactly, made you offer that completely unwanted and unwarranted suggestion? I'm simply amazed that something in you actually, when analyzing the cause and effect chain, decided that suggesting that crossing at the light would somehow be helpful to me, and the thousands of other people who obviously know about the light, but do not want to cross there because we've decided that it wastes our time to do so - would be a good use of our and your time. Can you explain to me your thought process? The reason I'm asking is because I'm writing a psychographic study of a Nazi guard and I'm interested in the thin line between misplaced helpfulness and mindless, thuggish brutality.

Psych!

you are complaining about walking one block. your response is hurting my brain. you are so self involved that you think they should add a light 1 block away from another light because you are lazy. now i don't speed so i wouldn't hit your dumb ass but i am constantly amazed at people like you.

you think hey i am upset they need to fix my problem... um why? you would then complain about them raising taxes. the traffic back up would be ridiculous. i do not know if you are aware of this but traffic on Marin backs up all the way to Columbus. In your mind that does not matter because you and the other idiots who can't cross one block down are the only people who matter.

can you explain your post to me since you do not seem to understand some people have an alternate opinions where they merely suggest you use some common sense.

I know there are some cracked out hippies who want to make Jersey City only for pedestrians but guess what that will not happen and also you are like what 3 blocks from the Holland Tunnel? wouldn't you use some common sense and consider more than just you. traffic patterns matter in a city.

I ride my bike to the Path when it is nice out and I used to live up there by Hamilton park and somehow i had no problem crossing the street... oh yeah because i had the common sense to go down a block to 6th so i wouldn't get my ass killed. you live in a city.

did you really use psych? really? woah, i really wish i could become as self involved as you...

there is a solution to the effing problem walk a block and you will not get nailed by a car(hopefully..well..) this seems pretty reasonable to me.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
Hello. Please check your PM about your signage request.

Thanks,
Pchops!

Posted on: 2010/3/27 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
We have a winner! Awesome.

Posted on: 2010/3/27 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
There's a cross-walk at 9th, and I've got every right to use it. Drivers, who treat Marin like the INDY 500, do not, however, have the right to not yield to my exercising of my pedestrian rights.

Yield to me, drivers, or face the consequences!

It's amazing that some people seem to be addicted to wasting their own time. Walking to the light and waiting would add close to 5 minutes to my commute every day - time I could be spending bitching about stuff on JCLIST, or doing my tae-bo.

If you're opinion doesn't pertain directly to the question proposed, then I'd kindly suggest you refrain from nattering. Nobody cares about your opinion unless it addresses the problematic at hand. So, for example, Azul_The_Cat - your opinion about walking down to 8th street and crossing at the light - nobody cares about that. If I wanted to hear about alternate routes, I'd of asked "hey, any ideas about stop-lighted crossing areas on Marin?" But see, the reason I didn't ask that question is because I already know that that light is there - so, in other words, what in your nature compelled you to offer such objectively 1. annoying and 2. unrelated advice? Are you possessed by a demon of nagging? What force in you, exactly, made you offer that completely unwanted and unwarranted suggestion? I'm simply amazed that something in you actually, when analyzing the cause and effect chain, decided that suggesting that crossing at the light would somehow be helpful to me, and the thousands of other people who obviously know about the light, but do not want to cross there because we've decided that it wastes our time to do so - would be a good use of our and your time. Can you explain to me your thought process? The reason I'm asking is because I'm writing a psychographic study of a Nazi guard and I'm interested in the thin line between misplaced helpfulness and mindless, thuggish brutality.

Psych!

Posted on: 2010/3/27 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Asking people coming from 9th st. and north to walk a block south in order to cross the street is contrary to the laws of pedestrian nature.

and what would the laws of "pedestrian nature" be? Crossing the street wherever and whenever you want? I understand pedestrians have the right of way, but people need a little common sense, and need to look before crossing the street. In that same vein, cars should let people IN CROSSWALKS cross.

Posted on: 2010/3/27 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:

Why not walk down to 8th st. where there is already a light? When I see people J-walking across Marin I always think that person must have a death wish.

Asking people coming from 9th st. and north to walk a block south in order to cross the street is contrary to the laws of pedestrian nature.

Posted on: 2010/3/27 3:17
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Crossing Marin near the charter school / 9th street is deadly.

Why not walk down to 8th st. where there is already a light? When I see people J-walking across Marin I always think that person must have a death wish.

Posted on: 2010/3/27 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I do believe that there are plans for a light there.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 22:36

Crossing Marin to Get to The Mall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Crossing Marin near the charter school / 9th street is deadly.

How would you go about getting "stop for pedestrian" signs put up in the crosswalk?

Is that the law in NJ? That cars have to stop for humuns? If not, then I rescind my request.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 22:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017