Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
80 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 20 »

Re: The Beacon
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
until i moved to JC, a jitney was a funky little passenger van you could take to get around a tropical island. like a tap tap bus. it was a fun good thing.

not so much now.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Yep, regulator got it right...and i don't have anything against jitneys--though i am going through menopause and find the need for air conditioning a MUST. they are inconsistent.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
jitneys are used on these forums to describe the dangerous, broken-down, falling-apart buses that run primarily on JFK and palisade. it may not have a negative connotation in general usage, but the posters who used it in this thread knew what the implication was and thats why they used it.

OTOH, the jitneys are my favorite mode of public transportation, both here in jc (fast and come very often on JFK) as well as atlantic city (beats having to drive everywhere... just hop on the jitney and youre there). i dont think a jitney should have a negative connotation, but the point remains that it does.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

marybarr wrote:
Why do you always try to makes negatives out of the great things at The Beacon? We have a SHUTTLE--not a jitney. Only Beacon residents may use it because it is included in our monthly maintenance fees. Again, only paranoid folk would worry about anything being bulletproof. Buy yourself a flak jacket and a helmet.

And Petey8 you were right about what I thought icechute meant--it WAS funny

Does the term Jitney really have a negative connotation? I went ahead and looked it up on Oxford English Dictionary and here is what I found:

Jitney, Noun
1) A Five Cent Piece, A nickel
2) [a descriptor of a bus] In full jitney bus, [or] omnibus. An omnibus or other motor vehicle which carries passengers for a fare, originally five cents. So, on account of the low fare or the poor quality of these buses, used attrib. to denote anything cheap, improvised, or ramshackle.

[so the term Jitney is derived from the amount of money one would have to pay to ride this bus... I didn't know that]

Now, take that definition (which it would appear *does* have a negative connotation) and compare that to a "shuttle bus". While I would agree that shuttle has less of a negative connotation, I don't believe there is all that much of a difference between the two words. Except that perhaps a shuttle bus does not charge a fare? But I swear I've been in shuttles that did charge a fare...was I really in a Jitney and just didn't even know it?!

In any case, I doubt your quarrel is really with the word jitney, because if you replace the word "Jitney" with "Shuttle" in his original post, my guess is that you'd be just as offended...

And thus concludes our vocabulary lesson for the day. Everyone can get back to their pre-determined agendas with respect to "the Beacon". Cheers!

Posted on: 2009/7/20 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Troll Comment:
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Can we presume the JITNEY is bulletproof?

Troll Comment:
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
thanks for that, almost made me spill my morning coffee, you guys are way too funny. Is it also bullet proof.

The location is half mile from the beacon.

Definition - troll (internet)
Noun
a person who posts deliberately inflammatory messages on an internet discussion board

These folks are looking for attention, I don?t even want to venture a guess at the motivations or psychology behind it. We have tried to invite them up, be polite, have a beer, etc?I personally have. They chose to remain anonymous which reduces their sense of identity allowing them to say things they would never say to people if they met them face to face (see this study: http://blogs.computerworld.com/the_ps ... of_rude_behavior_online_0)

One has an avatar of a cartoon, one a distorted face of a baby?we may actually be dealing with kids here. Long story short, don?t feed the trolls, it is what they are looking for?

Don?t worry about what others who read this post may think about where we live. The ones who actually live here love it, it is plain to see that...and the ridiculousness of these guys is clearly visible to anyone reading this thread.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Why do you always try to makes negatives out of the great things at The Beacon? We have a SHUTTLE--not a jitney. Only Beacon residents may use it because it is included in our monthly maintenance fees. Again, only paranoid folk would worry about anything being bulletproof. Buy yourself a flak jacket and a helmet.

And Petey8 you were right about what I thought icechute meant--it WAS funny

Posted on: 2009/7/19 8:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Can we presume the JITNEY is bulletproof?

Posted on: 2009/7/18 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
The exchange about "icechute"---now THAT'S funny. Insults get hurled around here with such, I hate to say it, trigger-quick sensitivity, that I can see how MaryB would think "icechute" was something like "douchebag," a perennial favorite. No insult to Icechute intended.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I don't care about what others think, I really don't feel less safe. Shootings happen everywhere in big cities. But there is a lot more on the low down in the suburbs so life is full of surprises. It's been that way since the dawn of man, and I don't like it but I don't feel scared. What kind of life would that be? And then the "bad guys" DO win. Anyway, if you unfortunately have that kind of fear The Beacon is a good place to live...we are set far back from the street so you don't have to worry about stray bullets.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

marybarr wrote:
I am not surprised that you guys started up again. Jersey City crime rates are down. This shooting is a sad and messy business but the reason it received so much attention is that it is a very rare occurance. And it wasn't in our area, it was over half a mile away. I don't feel less safe than yesterday or the day before.

Do you think potential buyers will believe this?

And when did half a mile (it is actually less) become practically another galaxy away? I live over a mile away and this happened too damn close for my comfort.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
he is the poster on these boards that posts "crime is down, healy said so" in every crime-related thread.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
No, I checked the bureau of justice statistics (www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs) and they said so! Oh and by the way--the developers of The Beacon, won the bid for Montgomery Gardens. Metrovest will lead on the retail aspect, and The Michaels group, very experienced building mixed income urban development, the residential.
At the risk of sounding unhip, and figuring it is unflattering, what's icechute supposed to signify?

Posted on: 2009/7/17 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

marybarr wrote:
I am not surprised that you guys started up again. Jersey City crime rates are down. This shooting is a sad and messy business but the reason it received so much attention is that it is a very rare occurance. And it wasn't in our area, it was over half a mile away. I don't feel less safe than yesterday or the day before.

well...obviously. i mean healy said so, right icechute?

Posted on: 2009/7/17 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/17 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

billc wrote:
No, we have double pane windows that are pretty sound proof

thanks for that, almost made me spill my morning coffee, you guys are way too funny. Is it also bullet proof.

whats so funny about that? im sure the people living above zeppelin hall would kill for sound proof windows

Posted on: 2009/7/16 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

billc wrote:
No, we have double pane windows that are pretty sound proof

Posted on: 2009/7/16 17:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/9 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
No, we have double pane windows that are pretty sound proof and Bergen is just far enough away that sound doesn't carry from there to us very well. I know you were not really asking an actual question, just trying to denigrate our area once again, but I choose not to acknowledge what you think is a clever remark.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 14:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/22 15:52
Group:
Registered Users
Were you guys woken up by the shots this morning? Crazy

Posted on: 2009/7/16 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
You should have come back for the fourth party, I would have been happy to host you. It was even better than last year and the developer treated us. The social committee really outdid themselves and our own deli provided food. Some of our residents volunteered to serve drinks and cooked the burgers and dogs. JCSHEP was the best grillmaster. The firepit was gorgeous and our views of the fireworks on both sides of the Hudson were awesome! Even though I could see them all from my place I am so glad I went out and shared the day with my great neighbors.

Posted on: 2009/7/5 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
C-709 was the apartment I rented last May. When I first moved in the developer offered it for sale at $710,000. After about six months he reduced the asking price to $570,000. I see it sold for $370,000 plus commission--apparently $407,000. That's just about what I thought was a fair price. It seems the auction worked fairly well for everyone.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 3:16

Re: New York Times: Beacon Luxury Condos, All Bids Considered
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/29 2:02
Group:
Registered Users
32 unit sold at the auction. 10 mil isn't something you want to sneeze at. 2 AIG buildings combine sold for only 150 mil. Trumps, 77 Huson, CP better rethink their price or stay 75% vacant.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 3:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 10:37
Group:
Registered Users
BrightGirl,

You simply have to come to see it for yourself from the inside. Even if you fake interest in buying, go to the sales office, give false info, and just take a look around. When I've shown friends around, it often takes an hour because they ask so many questions about what it must have been like, and what it is today.

The restoration is amazing. I simply marvel at it any time I head out to the double grills, and meet up with neighbors. When I walk back from McGinley Square, and see the buildings rising up, it's really spectacular.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 1:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
I admit I'm purely judging it from the outside.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BrightGirl wrote:
Frankly, The Beacon reminds me of the Overlook Hotel but less picturesque and gives me The Shining spooks. I would have nightmares of creepy twin girls if I lived in that building.

have you ever actually been inside? it may look daunting from the outside.. but the inside is a different story.

Quote:

It's way to far from anything.

that's funny, i could have sworn i saw a sign for the turnpike nearby

yes, i suppose you can't walk easily to a path station (less than 10 minutes). but by those standards, much of downtown jc would be "too far from anything".

Posted on: 2009/7/3 1:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
Frankly, The Beacon reminds me of the Overlook Hotel but less picturesque and gives me The Shining spooks. I would have nightmares of creepy twin girls if I lived in that building.

It's way to far from anything.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 0:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kitten wrote:
Quote:

bsun wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
For sure, JCSHEP. I've seen that first hand and have personally invested in the area. But I'd also argue that we have a bit of a way to go, particularly with creating and sustaining more local business, as well as addressing the constant crime, even on the small time level. The stolen bike thread just reinforces that message. I know, we live in a city, yadda yadda but that doesn't make it ok.

And many other neighborhoods throughout JC have not had the same turnaround...yet.

Paving a housing project and putting up a Barnes & Noble ain't the answer.

Then you haven't been around nyc or surrounding. Trust me, Barnes & Noble is your Beacon of good location. You see a upcoming B&N sign in the negborhood, it's time to take another mortage out. There is only 2 B&N in Brooklyn and guess where they are located.

In JC, there is only one at Newport.

There's a B&N at Newport??

My mistake. It is B. Dalton which is a sub of B&N. Another one is in Hoboken. Come to think of it, Metrovest should submit a site proposal to B&N on the upcoming retail space. Let me give Vikram Pandita call to have Citibank start their JC estabishment right here at Beacon. JK

Posted on: 2009/7/2 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bsun wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
For sure, JCSHEP. I've seen that first hand and have personally invested in the area. But I'd also argue that we have a bit of a way to go, particularly with creating and sustaining more local business, as well as addressing the constant crime, even on the small time level. The stolen bike thread just reinforces that message. I know, we live in a city, yadda yadda but that doesn't make it ok.

And many other neighborhoods throughout JC have not had the same turnaround...yet.

Then you haven't been around nyc or surrounding. Trust me, Barnes & Noble is your Beacon of good location. You see a upcoming B&N sign in the negborhood, it's time to take another mortage out. There is only 2 B&N in Brooklyn and guess where they are located.

There's a B&N at Newport??

Posted on: 2009/7/2 21:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/7 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
The Beacon development is the largest historic landmark preservation development in the entire country. It is probably the most media covered real estate development in Jersey City. The development sits right smack in the middle of the city and represents an area with great bones and potential. The thread will move forward partly because of these things, and naturally, will elicit debate and discussion.

It is true that the Beacon?s future is in part tied to how quickly the economy gets going, but given the current signs, I would expect things to move forward slowly with incremental success. The developer will weigh heavily here, as he appears even more determined today to move the complex forward. Local government will continue in its role, as they have been fervent in their support and have made a number of contributions to the neighborhood (i.e. relocated government offices). The new and current residents will continue to champion the neighborhood and find new ways to improve its standing. So we?re not just talking about one developer, but a multiple stakeholder effort. At day?s end, there is a great deal of money at stake and great potential to further strengthen the financial base of this city. This is no "if" story, it's a "when" story.

As for the results of the auction, this event yielded prices that were much higher than many on this board expected. These ?recent prices? were determined during an extraordinary event (auction) that came on the heels of a good ole? real estate contraction. The resultant price reductions had more to do with macro factors than the validity of any negative commentary made by anyone on this board (imho). The recent prices also reflect a buyer's market in which people are not buying much, so I take the results with a grain of salt. The two first buildings are essentially full and the overwhelming majority of the residents are happy to live where they live. Despite all of the turbulence, the Beacon is moving in the right direction. To this, there can be no dispute.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 20:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:

Posted on: 2009/7/2 19:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
i dont think there is any point discussing this further as we are just going in circles, each side have made all of their points.

Looking back 2 years, I dont think anyone can disput the fact the anti-beacon crowd was correct on the price predictions as evident by the recent prices. Now lets bury this thread for another 2 years, and see who's right again at end of 2011.

Did I said something wrong? I just got here. There were no prediction whatsoever. It was just how the market works and everyone know that. One can said the same price drop for every building near the waterfront area. Aslo, there were no Beacon unit sold for under 215k + 10% if 175k is what you call a prediction. I beleive for 215k + 10%, whoever bought that did well. Let's assume you put 20% down and take 180k mortage, with common and tax, you pay approx 1800 monthly with most utilities included. Where do you find a 1br with all Beacon has to offers at this price downtown? Forget about NYC. Even for investor who want to rent the unit out make sense.

Since the second phase about to start, I beleive this thread should go on. People who is interest about Beacon can get some of their questions answered.

My first question is to wibbit, why are you still here after two years?

Posted on: 2009/7/2 19:45

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 20 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017