Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

Re: Monticello Avenue

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/6/14 0:34
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the replies so far...

I've been to the area a couple times at night (one insanely hot night). and there were people hanging on the streets but no one seemed to be purposefully intimidating.

Seemed like a working neighborhood...

Posted on: 2008/6/14 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

gogoleyed wrote:
Yeah i suppose it would help...

I've been raised in Chicago living in east Williamsburg for the last thirteen years and thinking aboutpacking up and moving to monticello avenue to set up a studio with my wife that we would also live in. We've always lived on the outskirts of cities

So I guess I'm trying to find out if its more dangerous then normal? I know there's a pretty notorious high school around the corner but does that reflect the whole neighborhood?

Thanks

Lincoln High School makes its fair share of headlines for violence issues, though they usually involve students on students. And Monticello Ave stretches a ways away from Lincoln, it's really only closest to the southern end by Communipaw.

Best answer to give you is to spend time around the stretch your considering at different times of day and night, on both weekdays and weekends. After school time, late nights, etc. That way you can judge for yourself. There is definitely a fair amount of loitering in groups at all hours and between all ages. Some people would be instantly terrified, but given your history, you may be made of sterner stuff.

Posted on: 2008/6/14 0:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah i suppose it would help...

I've been raised in Chicago living in east Williamsburg for the last thirteen years and thinking aboutpacking up and moving to monticello avenue to set up a studio with my wife that we would also live in. We've always lived on the outskirts of cities

So I guess I'm trying to find out if its more dangerous then normal? I know there's a pretty notorious high school around the corner but does that reflect the whole neighborhood?

Thanks

Posted on: 2008/6/14 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

gogoleyed wrote:
Appears safe... Any major underlying problems?

Yup. Spend some time on Monticello after 10pm in the summer. It can be dicey, though not rising to the level of the worst stretches of MLK and Ocean.

While it has vastly improved over the years, Monticello still has work to do.

Of course, being more specific when asking questions might actually get you more helpful answers.

Posted on: 2008/6/13 23:52

Monticello Avenue

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Appears safe... Any major underlying problems?

Posted on: 2008/6/13 23:29

Re: Monticello Avenue Inquiry
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/20 23:56
From Bergen/Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
We visited the area again this week but still during daylight hours because our appointment to see the property a second time later in the evening was canceled. We walked along Monticello and visited two merchants, Grace Bakery and Aladdin Lamps. Neither had negative comments about the neighborhood and the latter talked with us about the ongoing improvements in the shopping district. There were many more people out walking and hanging out in front of their homes and on corners. We didn?t feel unnerved by any activities taking place and nobody appeared suspect. It seemed like any other neighborhood where people are out and about taking care of their shopping, walking home from work, meeting friends on the street and carrying on conversations. We still plan on visiting at different times of day and night but are told that within the radius of concern, it is fairly quiet. As I mentioned before, the properties on the street where our interest lies are all beautifully maintained. From my own experience living in many other cities, this is a good indicator that the residents have a sense of pride and the willingness to conquer quality of life issues. Jersey City has a long way to go to become a safer place to live but that won?t happen until all current residents actively participate in community groups and new people move in with the willingness to improve their neighborhoods. We look forward to being a part of the process.

Posted on: 2008/4/23 10:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/18 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
Try going at different times of the day, and also if possible go when the weather is really nice, since more people will be out and about. my block is a totally different experience in the winter, than the summer..

Posted on: 2008/4/22 17:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/28 23:53
From Moved to Dallas TX
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tanze_des_lasters wrote:
The particular home we are interested in is on a well-maintained quiet street and those passing us on the sidewalk were friendly.

There are some really nice blocks in the area (Emery Street and Astor Place being 2 that stick out in my mind). Both have very active block associations and are members of MCDC.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 11:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks again to all who have responded. Advice well taken and information graciously accepted. Having been an experienced urbanite more years than not, I can say we have visited certain streets where red flags were immediately apparent. If it wasn?t the the poor condition of homes and property, it was the not so welcoming residents who were purposely intimidating. The particular home we are interested in is on a well-maintained quiet street and those passing us on the sidewalk were friendly. Transportation to Journal Square and/or Manhattan is less than one block away. We will visit again tomorrow after dark. I?ll be back to let you know how that went.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i'd be very weary of any area without checking it out at night. just for an example, i have been looking at apartments in essex county, and one of them looked great on craigslist and was very nice in person during the day. i decided to take a drive out there at 2am, and we got chased twice by some screaming and yelling woman. every porch was full of thugs and there were a lot of shady people hanging out on the street corners. i am glad i made that trip before making a decision on that place. it's a shame when there are beautiful apartments and houses, but filled with people who are inconsiderate towards life in general.

Posted on: 2008/4/20 23:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/4/19 17:05
Group:
Registered Users
Regarding Bergen Communities United (BCU) you can visit the web site here:

http://bergencommunitiesunited.com/

The group is very active and includes numerous Community Development Corporations, Block Associations, and Faith Based Organizations. MCDC is also a very active member of BCU. Meetings are held on the first Wednesday of every month at 270 Fairmont Housing on Fairmont Avenue. Meetings are open to the public and they are always looking for active residents or business owners to participate.

In a nut shell BCU brings together all these groups to coordinate and communicate. The BCU Neighborhood Plan identifies all the activites of the community groups and established Action Teams to basically fill in gaps as identified by the residents. The meetings are a great resource to meet residents and hear about issues and opportunities in the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2008/4/19 17:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
Bergen Communities United is a large group of various block associations in that area that actually prepared a "master plan" for their communities.

Carol Arnold Harrison is the President of the Monticello Development Corp. I have heard that though that avenue was designated a Main Street by the State of NJ, property owners are in disagreement over something and for the life of me I cannot remember what. That I am told is holding up the planned development.

We have recently formed a new group called the Bergen Lafayette Junction Neighborhood Coalition. If you are interested in meeting us, just send me a PM (personal message with your email).

Posted on: 2008/4/19 15:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Many thanks to Roaring20s for the valuable MCDC contact info as well as the shopping tip. We are fond of everything antique. It would be great to know the names of other neighborhood associations in that area so we can plan to attend upcoming meetings and/or speak with those involved directly. If anyone here on the JC List can provide that information, it would be appreciated. Regarding gentrification and crime, I am no stranger to either having lived in Hoboken during the late 70?s and early 80?s and in one of the most crime-ridden cities in America, New Orleans, for 17 years. The latter tops the list of my horrific experiences regarding quality of life and dangerous neighborhoods. We are not heading into our relocation blindly and realize that Jersey City is long for becoming safe just as any other city of its character. As for our agent, a resident of the city for 25 years, he knows we are aware of the dangers throughout the entire city with some areas being worse than others and has a good handle on what neighborhoods are acceptable to us and what type of property we are looking for. Any other comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks to all who have already responded.

Posted on: 2008/4/19 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Many areas of JC are not all well and nice. Yes downtown has come a long way over time, but whenever I talk to people about JC they think that just because the gentrification of downtown word is being thrown around that the whole place is nice now, which is obviously not the case. The main thing you want to do is NOT listen to realitors about any area. Judge for yourself or take it from long time residents of a a specific area, then make your decision on weather or not the area is livable. Also dont listen to people when they give the speech "oh ive lived here 3 years and im ok" nonsense. Im not saying they're all wrong but chances are they f'ed up and are just trying to talk themselves into thinking they made a good decision. Basically what im trying to say is look at an area for yourself a few times, get to know it and ask long time residents , IMHO its the best way to find out about an area.

Posted on: 2008/4/19 1:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/28 23:53
From Moved to Dallas TX
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tanze_des_lasters wrote:

Also, is the Monticello Community Development Corporation still active? There is no current web presence regarding them. Are there any other active neighborhood groups in that area?

The last that I heard MCDC was still active. Check in with the owner of Independent Beauty Supply as he's a board member and he can give you a contact person for the group.

Quote:
And finally, we were told by one real estate agent that this area is now considered Journal Square, which we didn?t believe and another agency lists this area as McGinley Square which is also unbelievable. Are we correct in assuming this is considered Bergen-Lafayette?

Thank you for any information provided.

This isn't formally known as Bergen-Lafayette. B-L generally stops at the Junction section of JC (Communipaw and Grand); it is more a part of McG Square than B-L. Summit Avenue (to the east of Monticello) isn't part of B-L.

As far as safety goes, the area is changing but the changes won't be overnight. If you're looking at a long term investment I would recommend it however if you're only looking for short term, I'd avoid it because it's still dicey. By all means though...patronise the stores along the avenue, especially Aladdin Lamps (if you're into real vintage light fixtures). It's a hidden jewel on the stip.

I'm a former board member (chairing the Promotions committee) of MCDC and lived on Bentley for quite a few years and was active in a lot of the neighbourhood associations for a number of years until I moved away in 2005. Hope the info is helpful.

Posted on: 2008/4/19 1:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
6 pm? i would definitely recommend you take a drive through the area around midnight or so before you commit to anything.

if they're telling you the area is "now" journal square, they sound kinda desperate to unload the property on someone that doesn't know the area too well.

Posted on: 2008/4/18 21:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 15:05
From John Wilkes Park
Group:
Registered Users
There are some really great old houses in that area but unfortunately that's not a great block safety-wise which is why I assume the stores are closed early. Belmont is a kick ass street but try looking closer to Kennedy or Westside and not Monticello.

I would also say that it is Bergen-Lafayette, definitely a bit far from JSQ to be considered in that hood.

Posted on: 2008/4/18 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tanze_des_lasters wrote:
In our exploration of Monticello Avenue specifically between Communipaw and Belmont we have noticed that the active stores are closed up by the time we are there, around 6:00 p.m. Is this the general closing hour or does it have something to do with the curfew we read about a few years ago?

Also, is the Monticello Community Development Corporation still active? There is no current web presence regarding them. Are there any other active neighborhood groups in that area?

And finally, we were told by one real estate agent that this area is now considered Journal Square, which we didn?t believe and another agency lists this area as McGinley Square which is also unbelievable. Are we correct in assuming this is considered Bergen-Lafayette?

Time to change your realtor.....

Posted on: 2008/4/18 20:41

Monticello Avenue Inquiry
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
In our exploration of Monticello Avenue specifically between Communipaw and Belmont we have noticed that the active stores are closed up by the time we are there, around 6:00 p.m. Is this the general closing hour or does it have something to do with the curfew we read about a few years ago?

Posted on: 2008/4/18 15:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017