Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Where can I live and be 25 - 30 minutes from Midtown?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/24 1:03
Group:
Registered Users
sure. anytime. hopefully someone will chime in with other opinions.

so what kind of boutique is it?

Posted on: 2007/5/23 4:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/23 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Oh ok, thanks for the info!

Posted on: 2007/5/23 4:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mclarke wrote:
The Path and Light Rail are down there also?

The apartment was near 54th and Blvd East...I am seeing another one today that is near 34th and Blvd East.

negative on the path. if you come home late you will have to take the path to hoboken and catch a cab from there. which will run you around 10 bucks.

here is a link to the light rail map. port imperial is a light rail stop and the water taxi.

http://www.mylightrail.com/index.php? ... r&task=stations&Itemid=90

Posted on: 2007/5/22 22:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Path and Light Rail are down there also?

The apartment was near 54th and Blvd East...I am seeing another one today that is near 34th and Blvd East.

Posted on: 2007/5/22 22:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mclarke wrote:
I wanted to update you guys and ask another question...I looked around Grove and found some things that I liked, but overall I am a little blah about Grove...but then I happened to see alot of apartments listed on Craigslist in the Blvd. East (West New York) area and decided to take a trip over there today to see whos-a-whats-in over there...So from my understanding you can take the bus or gypsy vans on Blvd East to NYC in 15 minutes? Is that true? Are they 24 hours? It seemed like the apartments over there were slightly cheaper than Grove, and the area by the water looked very nice...and if the average commute from Grove with walking to an office in the garment district is 35-40 minutes, it seems like this West New York route is slightly quicker.

Does anyone know if that commute time is accurate? What bus goes down Blvd. East and am I missing any methods of transport in that area (gypsy, nj transit bus, water ferry) and is there any downside to living over there?

Thanks for all your help!

that area is really nice.

the light rail and water ferry are on the river. depending where on blvd east.. it might be convient enough for you.

Without 100% certainty, I think only the path is 24/7 this is something you should concider. being back at the port authority before 1am or earlier doesnt' sound like a fun night out.

Posted on: 2007/5/22 21:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I wanted to update you guys and ask another question...I looked around Grove and found some things that I liked, but overall I am a little blah about Grove...but then I happened to see alot of apartments listed on Craigslist in the Blvd. East (West New York) area and decided to take a trip over there today to see whos-a-whats-in over there...So from my understanding you can take the bus or gypsy vans on Blvd East to NYC in 15 minutes? Is that true? Are they 24 hours? It seemed like the apartments over there were slightly cheaper than Grove, and the area by the water looked very nice...and if the average commute from Grove with walking to an office in the garment district is 35-40 minutes, it seems like this West New York route is slightly quicker.

Does anyone know if that commute time is accurate? What bus goes down Blvd. East and am I missing any methods of transport in that area (gypsy, nj transit bus, water ferry) and is there any downside to living over there?

Thanks for all your help!

Posted on: 2007/5/22 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
I, too, live near the Congress St. elevator. This area is a commuter's dream. Your options range from the 99S to the commuter vans that run along Palisade if you want to go directly to 42nd St. You can also take the elevator down to the light rail and take it to the Newport Path or take a different commuter van to the Hoboken Path and take that.

The commuter vans have a sign on the front saying where they're headed but if you're not sure, just ask someone who's waiting or getting on.

Best of luck.

Posted on: 2007/5/16 6:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
i'm near congress and palisade too - always wanted to try the jitneys... but i get nervous and chicken out... would hate to get on one and end up in.... .paterson!

as for looking to a place to move - i totally support the Heights!

Posted on: 2007/5/15 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Annod wrote:
I went to 8th Avenue and 36th Street today around 5:30 PM. I took the PATH train from Exchange Place to the World Trade Center and then I took the 'E' train to 34th Street. From Exchange Place to 34th St, it took around 25 minutes. I find it more relaxing than going to Grove Street to take the PATH train to 33rd Street and walk. But it cost $2 more for the subway.

Thats my "rainy day" route! But there's no free lunch, the walk from the platform to the E is equivalent to at least half the 33rd st walk.

Posted on: 2007/5/15 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Everytime I see 99s, I think of the 99 cent store.

I went to 8th Avenue and 36th Street today around 5:30 PM. I took the PATH train from Exchange Place to the World Trade Center and then I took the 'E' train to 34th Street. From Exchange Place to 34th St, it took around 25 minutes. I find it more relaxing than going to Grove Street to take the PATH train to 33rd Street and walk. But it cost $2 more for the subway.

Posted on: 2007/5/15 3:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/1 17:18
From jc heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Erin. You are near Congress, right? The 99s stops at Congress and Palisade, across from the Fire Station. It also stops at Paterson Plank and Palisade and that gives you the option of the 123 if it comes before the 99s. Like I said before, the 99s is great when and if it comes and it is most reliable before 8 am (I think it hits Congress around 7:50 but you should check schedule to make sure). You can catch it on the fourth floor of PA. Fare is $3.

Posted on: 2007/5/15 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mclarke wrote:
Heights - near elevator (what does that mean?), Congress,

About 4 years ago there opened an elevator up and down the Palisades cliffs from the 9th street rail stop in Hoboken to Congress Street in JC Heights. This made the area near the elevator virtually "in" Hoboken and gave access to the Light Rail. Because of this the area is rapidly gentrifying. It's only a 1/2 mile walk from the elevator to Washington street, Hoboken's main commercial drag.

Posted on: 2007/5/14 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
the light rail stop is the 9th street station. But if you see a map on craigslist, if its near congress and palisades you're fine. but ALWAYS look at the neighborhood in the daytime, and if you can, at night. you'll see a difference.

as for night time, the lightrail stops at 1am and the elevator shuts off around 2 (LAME!). whenever i have a late night, i just take the pathtrain to hoboken and then take a cab home- usually around 7 bucks.

i don't take the gypsy buses, b/c i like the walk to hoboken for the bus. some people fear them, but i rode them for years, and i'm still walking.

Posted on: 2007/5/14 18:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Lots of great information, so as I am searching, these are the areas I am looking at?

Grove Street - Van Vorst Park area
Heights - near elevator (what does that mean?), Congress, Palisades
Hell's Kitchen
Weehawken
Bergen Light Rail Station in West New York
Queens

Did I miss any? Many of the craigslist listings in the Heights differentiate the areas by the light rail stop...which lightrail stop is near the elevator?, Congress or Palisades?

These buses and gypsy cabs (Erin why no more gypsy cabs?), do they run into the night? I go to quite a few events in NYC for business that sometimes has me coming home at 1 - 2am...are the buses, gypsies frequent?

You guys are very helpful!
Monif

Posted on: 2007/5/14 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
sam
where does the 99S pick up in nyc? also, how much is it, one of these days i have to give it a try. especially once the winter comes again, the walk from hoboken in the bitter cold is not the best part of the day...
thanks!

Posted on: 2007/5/14 17:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/1 17:18
From jc heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hi there. I live in the Heights (on Congress) and work on 8th and 37th. On a good day it can take me 25 minutes from the Heights to PA on the 99s (if I am lucky enough to get it) or gypsy bus. Bad day about 40 minutes. The 99s is fast when you can catch it, and the best time to get it is usually before 8 in the am. After that the schedule is unreliable. Schedule is much more reliable on the way back and it takes about 20-25 minutes in the evening.

The Heights has some good restaurants on Central, the Corkscrew is great, and it is easy/fast to get to restaurants and shopping in Hoboken.

Posted on: 2007/5/14 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
mc-

we've lived in the heights about a year and a half, and live about a 2 minute walk from the elevator. I don't really get around the heights that much, but central has some shops (pretty much 99 cents, but you get that on newark). I'm not a fan of hoboken (never was much for frat boys) but i have to say, i love being close enough to walk down there and enjoy a decent dinner before the morons come out at night. Not to mention we're about an 8 minute (oh yes, i time this!) walk from a great bar DC's, not to mention a 4 minute walk to the corkscrew- which now has fun weekend night festivities..(heights corner of congress and webster). driving around this weekend, i'm seeing a bunch of more conversions in the heights. they may only be for sale, but i'm sure you could find apts too. i'd just stay close to palisades or the elevator, b/c the farther west you go, the longer your commute will be. as for the gypsy vans, i used to take them too but haven't recently..

i've lived downtown and in the heights, and i like them both. and like i said, working in midtown my commute is the same (it was a bit longer actually when i lived in hamilton park). We just lucked out w/ backyard and way more space than we could afford downtown moving up to the heights, and i'm really glad we did.

Posted on: 2007/5/14 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
i've never done the 99S. i used to live in weehawken and took the 123 and the approach they take to the tunnel took FOREVER, thats why i just take the 126 in hoboken, b/c they come in the back way. i should try it, but i haven't gotten around to it yet. is it frequent in the morning?

Posted on: 2007/5/14 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ErinMaiden wrote:
Now I live right near the elevator (congress) and i just walk to the bus in hoboken (on clinton in bound and willow outbound). the walk to the bus is about 10-12 minutes and the ride can be 15-20 or if there's an accident you could be 45 but normally i'm ok.
good luck!

Have you found this to be better than the 91S (?) bus that stops at Congress & Palisade? I thought that was the "accepted route" to PA from there.

Posted on: 2007/5/14 16:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the tips!!

I have been in and around Grove Street and like the area for the closeness to the city but also for the shops/restaurants, etc. in the area, so I have been looking at Grove.

Now, tell me a bit about the Heights near Congress? ErinMaiden, your commute doesn't sound that bad...if I was searching Craigslist for apartments in that area, what keywords should I look for? Are those apartments near a particular rail station?

Also, a friend of mine lives in Hague Street near Paterson Plank and she keeps telling me that there are $2 vans or something that take you directly into the city and that the Heights should be considered, but I don't know the area, so I wanted to get suggestions...Plus I will need to be in the city by 10am which isn't necessarily the height of peak but isn't late either, so do you all think taking buses would be a pain?

If you all have any other area suggestions, let me know!

Posted on: 2007/5/14 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mclarke wrote:
What areas would you suggest I check out? I want to be able to get to work in 25-30 minutes by public transport.
Diane

What about this: live by Port Imperial in Weehawken and walk to the ferry, or else live near the Bergenline light rail station in West New York (2 minutes to the Port Imperial ferry terminal)?

If you took the ferry to the New York Waterway terminal on 39th Street, you\'d already be on 39th when you got to Manhattan, and you could even take the New York Waterway bus if you didn\'t want to cross the West Side Highway on foot.

If the Port Imperial ferry stopped working for some reason, you could take the light rail to Hoboken and take the Hoboken PATH to 33rd Street.

My impression, from Craigslist listings, is that there are probably plenty of nice 1 bedrooms and even 2 bedrooms in West New York for under $1,500.

Also: I\'m 5 feet tall and the least street smart person who ever existed. I\'ve taken the light rail up to the Bergenline light rail stop as a kind of light rail day tripper. I thought that the area around the Bergenline light rail stop seemed to be very safe and home to a lot of interesting shops and restaurants. There are plenty of dollar stores, but I also found a great, reasonably priced shoe store with good leather shoes, for example.

Other ideas: Hoboken (maybe a broker could find you a 1 bedroom there for $1,500) or somewhere in Queens between Queens Plaza and Roosevelt Avenue in Queens.

Also, if you ditched your car and paid a broker\'s fee, maybe you could move to Hell\'s Kitchen. When I search Craiglist for 1 bedrooms under $1,800, I get 43 hits. Maybe the apartments aren\'t that great, but, if you had an apartment right by your boutique, maybe you could use the boutique as an annex to your apartment.

Posted on: 2007/5/14 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
i work in the garment district and i live in the heights. My commute depends on traffic, but normally i can be there in about 30-40 minutes. I used to live on Grove near the path, and my commute was the same. ( I agree w/ brewster the walk up broadway is enough to drive you mental at 9am) Now I live right near the elevator (congress) and i just walk to the bus in hoboken (on clinton in bound and willow outbound). the walk to the bus is about 10-12 minutes and the ride can be 15-20 or if there's an accident you could be 45 but normally i'm ok.

i leave my house around 8.45 and am at my desk (42nd and broadway) by 9.25 (stopping to get coffee too). so its really not that bad.

if you're running a boutique, not sure of your hours, if you leave later and go home later, you shouldn't hit too much traffic.

good luck!

Posted on: 2007/5/14 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The path from Grove is great to 33 & 6th, but the obstructed walk through the clueless milling crowds to my frequent client on 8th at 36th gets me postal. A place with good bus service to Port Authority, like the Heights or Weehawken, should be considered, particularly if you can avoid peak rush.

I recommend scouting expeditions of the routes, don't take our word for it either. Come and spend a few hours looking at hoods and traveling rails & wheels.

Posted on: 2007/5/14 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Friends don't let friends live in Jersey City!

Posted on: 2007/5/14 16:04
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 3:01
From Maplewood
Group:
Registered Users
I live on third street in Jersey City and i work on 34th Street and 10th Avenue in NYC. Door to Door takes me about 45 minutes. I take the path to 33rd street and i walk to my office. I guess i could shave some time off my commute if i took the bus from 6th avenue.

Posted on: 2007/5/14 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I agree. Van Vorst Park area around grove st or the south eastern side of Harsimus Cove. Roughly 5-8 minute walk to the PATH and 17 minute PATH Ride to 33rd Street Herald Square. Or Alternately 10 minute PATH to WTC, ACE,2,3 uptown from Park Place

Posted on: 2007/5/14 15:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/7 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

edge wrote:
Quote:

mclarke wrote:
Hi everyone, I am new to the board and a bit clueless about Jersey City (and surrounding towns) geography, so I am hoping you all can help? I have friends that live in the Heights, near Grove, Union City, Weehawken, and I am getting conflicting stories about the commute time to NYC.

I am opening my own boutique in the Garment District and want to move from Central New Jersey so I can be 25 - 30 minutes away from my boutique. My boutique will be on 38th betw. 8th/9th aves so I can come into Penn Station, 33rd Path, or Port Authority 42nd. What areas would you suggest I check out? I want to be able to get to work in 25-30 minutes by public transport. I have a car, but I don't want to have to pay the high prices of parking/Ezpass, etc. Oh, and I don't want to spend more than $1500/month for rent...if I could get a 1 bedroom or squeeze out 1 bedroom plus small den/office that I can have guests stay in, that would be perfect.

Hope you all can help!
Diane

you have options. the best in my opinion is grove street.

I concur. The ride to 33rd is about 20 min so it would be just your walk time on either side that would dictate the rest. And - I think the rents around there would fit into that budget as opposed to being closer to Newport. I think JSQ would put you outside that timeframe.

I have a lot of friends that do the bus into Port Authority but it's very unpredictable because of traffic.

Posted on: 2007/5/14 15:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mclarke wrote:
Hi everyone, I am new to the board and a bit clueless about Jersey City (and surrounding towns) geography, so I am hoping you all can help? I have friends that live in the Heights, near Grove, Union City, Weehawken, and I am getting conflicting stories about the commute time to NYC.

I am opening my own boutique in the Garment District and want to move from Central New Jersey so I can be 25 - 30 minutes away from my boutique. My boutique will be on 38th betw. 8th/9th aves so I can come into Penn Station, 33rd Path, or Port Authority 42nd. What areas would you suggest I check out? I want to be able to get to work in 25-30 minutes by public transport. I have a car, but I don't want to have to pay the high prices of parking/Ezpass, etc. Oh, and I don't want to spend more than $1500/month for rent...if I could get a 1 bedroom or squeeze out 1 bedroom plus small den/office that I can have guests stay in, that would be perfect.

Hope you all can help!
Diane

you have options. the best in my opinion is grove street.

Posted on: 2007/5/14 15:41

Where can I live and be 25 - 30 minutes from Midtown?

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Hope you all can help!
Diane

Posted on: 2007/5/14 15:38

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017