Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fulop backs statewide referendum to raise minimum wage
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned
Something that makes sense and does not put our city at a disadvantage. Yes by all means increase the minimum wage at the state level. Thank God he is not trying to have a minimum wage at the city level like with the paid sick day thing.

Yes, show his support than move on to the city problems. Hope it last longer than a press release or press conference.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 12:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/9/10 5:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
In any case, you did not answer my question, - why set minimal wages so low? Why not $500?

I implied that a minimum wage should probably be greater than minimum social or disability. Primarily as an incentive to work. I'll let you do the calculation, and argue the case for lower social benefits.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 4:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

borisp wrote:
In any case, you did not answer my question, - why set minimal wages so low? Why not $500?

Flip it over Boris, is there a wage that is too low in your book? Can you imagine an economic situation possible where employers are predatory and pay an inhumane wage because people are desperate and they can get away with it? Our economy has disconnected the age old link between productivity and wages. We eliminate production jobs and then refuse to pay a living wage on the service jobs while the corporatocracy lives it up. How nasty is that?

Resized Image

As for your imaginary free market where excess profits are always punished by competition, tee hee! Where have you been? Our markets are littered with collusion and price fixing, from commodities down to airfares and telecom, even the price of a slice of pizza is generally fixed in a market. Just look at telecom and broadband where the players compete furiously for customers, compete on anything but price that is. Somehow companies with very different technology for broadband price it exactly the same. Go figure.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
I have a question for those who think that minimum wage is a good idea: why do you set it so low? Why not set it at, say, $500 an hour ? If you think that $10 is a good idea, it stands to reason that $500 would be so much better. If not, - where exactly do you see the difference? How do you calculate where the threshold between good idea and a bad idea lies?

I've mixed feelings on minimum wage itself, though I'm pretty much against companies making outrageous profits and paying their workers a pittance. However, for a large number of people the choice is between minimum wage and social/disability benefits. If minimum wage < what people can get from social, a lot will choose the latter.

On the flip side of that argument, are 2 jobs at half minimum wage better than 1 job at minimum? For many companies the answer is yes, and those 2 jobs are overseas.

On of the anecdotes of my youth (I grew up in the USSR) was "what's the difference between american happiness and russian happiness? Well, an american is happy when he can increase his herd of cows, - and a russian is happy when his neighbor's cow dies".

Obviously, the anecdote was wrong, - people who can't be happy if the neighbor is doing well exist in all cultures.

Here is my take: if you think that some company makes too big a profit, - compete with them. Create your own company, charge customers less, pay employees more - and force that other company to do the same.

If you are too lazy to do it this way, you it would be immoral for you to begrudge them their success. And, by the way, as soon as you finally turn America from a society where success is respected into a society where it is a suspect and an object of hate, - you will suffer. Trust me, I grew up in a society that you are trying to build

Posted on: 2013/9/9 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Resized Image

Worth a read if interested in this topic:

http://www.nwlc.org/sites/default/fil ... minimumwagefebruary_0.pdf

What is its relevance? This information was compiled up to March 2006. And please note that some of the states they mentioned have gone down in flames.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
I have a question for those who think that minimum wage is a good idea: why do you set it so low? Why not set it at, say, $500 an hour ? If you think that $10 is a good idea, it stands to reason that $500 would be so much better. If not, - where exactly do you see the difference? How do you calculate where the threshold between good idea and a bad idea lies?

I've mixed feelings on minimum wage itself, though I'm pretty much against companies making outrageous profits and paying their workers a pittance. However, for a large number of people the choice is between minimum wage and social/disability benefits. If minimum wage < what people can get from social, a lot will choose the latter.

On the flip side of that argument, are 2 jobs at half minimum wage better than 1 job at minimum? For many companies the answer is yes, and those 2 jobs are overseas.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 18:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's based on the minimum wage after it's creation in 1936 plus inflation.
http://www.raisetheminimumwage.com/fa ... ry/amount-with-inflation/

Posted on: 2013/9/8 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/8 5:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/27 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
I believe and have seen at my workplace - A happy employee results in a happy employer. When the employee walks into the office all positive their productivity automatically jumps up and the opposite is true too. I would rather have my employees stay home when they are sick rather than be all juiced up on meds and worse make others sick.

Stay home and get better.

Of course, there will be those that will abuses the sick day ... solution - termination.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
some people can always coe up with a reason to do nada...hey, why not cut the minimum wage to $2 and then we'd really see the economy take off.

I'm joking - I don't want anyone to start a campaign to roll back the minimum wage.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 11:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There needs to be a better way of stopping companies exploiting workers, than just minimum wage. Something like a minimum bonus, based on an equal share of a predefined percent (say 5-10%) of the company's net profit. Or some similar way where employees can share in a company's success, irrespective of the existing race to the bottom on wages.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 5:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/7 4:59
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Minimum wage should automatically be increased annually or every few years via infation figures and the real cost of living (if utilitiy and taxes increase, then so should the minimum wages by the same percentage). There needs to be an incentive for our working poor to keep working, otherwise it would be cost effective to be on welfare or simply make no attempt to find and stay working

The raising of wages to keep pace with inflation just keeps you in a neck & neck, it doesn't really move you forward but at least it may not move you back. Now as to the percentage on welfare, I blame Barry in part for this. Ninety-nine weeks of unemployment had virtually guaranteed larger welfare roles because, statistcally speaking, you become pretty much unemployable after 6 months if you have not at least taken some sort of state offered job training to keep your skills up or learn new ones. This is at least, in part, how I see it.

We have got to lower corporate tax to keep corporations from shipping their business out of the country. That could open up more opportunities here. We have got to close our boarders for the time being till we get the issue of the massive amount of illegals already in the country who are not paying their fair share in taxes because they are working under the table. We have to penalize those who are hiring under the table. We have to revisit how much we are giving to other countries, especially those who are hostile, what are we doing - paying them off not to bomb us with the weapons they are buying from other countries that hate us? That's working well.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Minimum wage should automatically be increased annually or every few years via infation figures and the real cost of living (if utilitiy and taxes increase, then so should the minimum wages by the same percentage). There needs to be an incentive for our working poor to keep working, otherwise it would be cost effective to be on welfare or simply make no attempt to find and stay working

Ah, now there's a can of worms! Of course there's LOTS of things that should be indexed, like the alternative minimum tax, and lots of opposition thinking it validates inflation somehow.

The minimum in 1968 was $1.60, that's $10.74 adjusted for inflation. By that standard $8.25 is pathetic.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 4:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I would be more than happy to pay an extra nickel or dime for a Big Mac to help those earning less.

You're still not looking at the long term. I stated that this hurts all but the giant corporations. They fall back on volume to make up the shortfall created by the raising of the minimum wage. It is the smaller enterprises that are hurt. They cannot meet MacDonald's, Target's or Shop Rite's prices as it is now. How do they stay competitive (& in business) if they cannot at least match prices with the bigger concerns? And the even sadder part is that a Big Mac's price will be raised more than a nickel to maintain their hefty profits.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/7 1:56
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I would be more than happy to pay an extra nickel or dime for a Big Mac to help those earning less.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

arcy wrote:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... um_wage.html#incart_river

Jersey City mayor backs statewide referendum to raise minimum wage
By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
on September 06, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop today announced his support for raising the state's minimum wage, which will be decided by voters in a referendum question in the Nov. 5 general elections.

?This is a critical step toward enhancing the lives of our working families,? Fulop said of the referendum, which would raise the minimum wage from $7.25 to 8.25 per hour. ?We know that our working families support our local economy and these hard-working men and women deserve pay equal to their work.?

In January, Gov. Chris Christie vetoed a bill that would have raised the minimum wage by $1, arguing that the increase should be phased in over a three-year period to avoid jeopardizing the state?s economic progress. Christie welcomes students back to Beach Haven Elementary School - 9/4/2013
Governor Chris Christie
The Star-Ledger

Christie argued that his plan would give workers the relief they need and also give New Jersey?s small businesses time to plan for its implementation. The governor his ?balanced approach? would prevent layoffs and relocations of workers.

Fulop cited a New Jersey Policy Perspective report that found the minimum wage increase would result in an overall state gross domestic product increase of $174.8 million in 2014, because of higher consumer spending.

Of those workers who would benefit from a minimum wage increase, 82 percent are over 20 years old, the mayor said, adding that the increase would also help increase wage scales across many different employment sectors.

Fulop will be the recipient of an endorsement Monday when a coalition of groups holds a press conference to support his ?earned sick days? legislation.

The proposed ?earned sick day? measure, before the Jersey City City Council, would require all businesses with 10 or more workers to provide up to 40 hours of paid sick time annually. The measure, which has been panned by members of the business community, will have its first reading at Wednesday's City Council meeting.
The groups expected to show their support for the measure Monday include NJ Working Families Alliance, the state NAACO and its Jersey City chapter, New Jersey Citizen Action and the Service Employee International Union.

If passed, the ordinance would make Jersey City the first city in the state to guarantee workers earned sick days, according to NJ Working Families Alliance.

The thing, to me at least, about raising the minimum wage is that anyone not a corporate giant will have to raise their prices accordingly to accommodate the increase in order to stay solvent. This, coupled with the costs of the alleged affordable care, could potentially drive many out of business.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 23:13

Fulop backs statewide referendum to raise minimum wage
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... um_wage.html#incart_river

Jersey City mayor backs statewide referendum to raise minimum wage
By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
on September 06, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop today announced his support for raising the state's minimum wage, which will be decided by voters in a referendum question in the Nov. 5 general elections.

?This is a critical step toward enhancing the lives of our working families,? Fulop said of the referendum, which would raise the minimum wage from $7.25 to 8.25 per hour. ?We know that our working families support our local economy and these hard-working men and women deserve pay equal to their work.?

In January, Gov. Chris Christie vetoed a bill that would have raised the minimum wage by $1, arguing that the increase should be phased in over a three-year period to avoid jeopardizing the state?s economic progress. Christie welcomes students back to Beach Haven Elementary School - 9/4/2013
Governor Chris Christie
The Star-Ledger

Christie argued that his plan would give workers the relief they need and also give New Jersey?s small businesses time to plan for its implementation. The governor his ?balanced approach? would prevent layoffs and relocations of workers.

Fulop cited a New Jersey Policy Perspective report that found the minimum wage increase would result in an overall state gross domestic product increase of $174.8 million in 2014, because of higher consumer spending.

Of those workers who would benefit from a minimum wage increase, 82 percent are over 20 years old, the mayor said, adding that the increase would also help increase wage scales across many different employment sectors.

Fulop will be the recipient of an endorsement Monday when a coalition of groups holds a press conference to support his ?earned sick days? legislation.

The proposed ?earned sick day? measure, before the Jersey City City Council, would require all businesses with 10 or more workers to provide up to 40 hours of paid sick time annually. The measure, which has been panned by members of the business community, will have its first reading at Wednesday's City Council meeting.
The groups expected to show their support for the measure Monday include NJ Working Families Alliance, the state NAACO and its Jersey City chapter, New Jersey Citizen Action and the Service Employee International Union.

If passed, the ordinance would make Jersey City the first city in the state to guarantee workers earned sick days, according to NJ Working Families Alliance.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 22:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017