Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Billboards decry gunfire -- ads displayed across Hudson County send message to prevent gun viole
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I'd ad one more question, "How many of these gun crimes were committed by people who went through the process of legally obtaining a firearm in NJ?" I suspect almost none of them did so and therefore placing and even larger burden on those who legally own firearms (via more gun control) is not going to stop this type of crime. What it will do is create a moral hazard; as criminals become more confident that their victims will be unarmed they will be more bold.

Quote:

Dwntownguy wrote:
Guys:

Obviously we have a problem here in Jersey City with the Professional Criminal Element (MUTANTS ) and guns. Hardly a day goes by without some type of mayhem and gunfire on our streets. Our Politicians ( HEALY ) and Prosecutor Edward J. DeFazio are quite vociferous on the need for more Gun Control but I am a simple man with simple questions.

Are the Mutants getting Paroled between shootings?

Are these Mutants experiencing the full weight of our current laws when caught?

Are the Mutants getting prosecuted on lesser charges?

What percentage of the Mutants are repeat offenders?

When a Mutant gets shot who pays for their medical care?

Thanks to the diligence of Grove Path we have a long list ?Mutant Activity? in our City and thanks to N.J.S.A. 47:1A-2 we have access to most records.

I think I see a Database in my future.

More info to follow soon !!!

DTG

[quote]
DeFazio has been upfront about the alarming increase in gunfire on county streets, particularly in Jersey City. He has been a staunch supporter of the gun control legislation that Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy has been pushing for, including a bill limiting gun purchases to one firearm per month, which was passed by the state Assembly last Tuesday. The bill will soon be reviewed by the state Senate and possibly become a law.
quote]

Posted on: 2007/6/17 23:52

Re: Billboards decry gunfire -- ads displayed across Hudson County send message to prevent gun violence
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Guys:

Obviously we have a problem here in Jersey City with the Professional Criminal Element (MUTANTS ) and guns. Hardly a day goes by without some type of mayhem and gunfire on our streets. Our Politicians ( HEALY ) and Prosecutor Edward J. DeFazio are quite vociferous on the need for more Gun Control but I am a simple man with simple questions.

Are the Mutants getting Paroled between shootings?

Are these Mutants experiencing the full weight of our current laws when caught?

Are the Mutants getting prosecuted on lesser charges?

What percentage of the Mutants are repeat offenders?

When a Mutant gets shot who pays for their medical care?

Thanks to the diligence of Grove Path we have a long list ?Mutant Activity? in our City and thanks to N.J.S.A. 47:1A-2 we have access to most records.

I think I see a Database in my future.

More info to follow soon !!!

DTG

[quote]
DeFazio has been upfront about the alarming increase in gunfire on county streets, particularly in Jersey City. He has been a staunch supporter of the gun control legislation that Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy has been pushing for, including a bill limiting gun purchases to one firearm per month, which was passed by the state Assembly last Tuesday. The bill will soon be reviewed by the state Senate and possibly become a law.
quote]

Posted on: 2007/6/17 12:23

Re: Billboards decry gunfire -- ads displayed across Hudson County send message to prevent gun viole
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/4 14:09
From Journal Square, duh!
Group:
Registered Users
I take the bus often enough to see who can spill 500 and who can't, but suppose there are a few of them. How about the main part of them?
For me is just depressing an half-scary to see these ads, reminding me that maybe I crossed the Atlantic for the wrong reasons. They are even scarier than the people in the back of the bus.

Posted on: 2007/6/16 19:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/6 12:00
From Hoboken
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSQ wrote:
Quote:
DeFazio said many people are unaware of a state law that requires an assailant to be charged with murder even if their victim was not the one whom they set out to harm.

This guy talks like an elected official, to hearts, not to minds. Killing people and expecting no repercussion is a sci-fi scenario, no sane person would do that. Not even the guy who pretended he shouldn't be fined because he forgot to validate the light rail ticket will pretend that he can just shoot people by mistake.

The campaign is not fit for the buses, I fail to see how can one afford a gun and not afford a car. Plainly, it's wasted money.

I'm pretty sure there are people out there who are only to happy to buy a gun and still not have a car.

Gina

Posted on: 2007/6/16 18:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/4 14:09
From Journal Square, duh!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
DeFazio said many people are unaware of a state law that requires an assailant to be charged with murder even if their victim was not the one whom they set out to harm.

This guy talks like an elected official, to hearts, not to minds. Killing people and expecting no repercussion is a sci-fi scenario, no sane person would do that. Not even the guy who pretended he shouldn't be fined because he forgot to validate the light rail ticket will pretend that he can just shoot people by mistake.

The campaign is not fit for the buses, I fail to see how can one afford a gun and not afford a car. Plainly, it's wasted money.

Posted on: 2007/6/16 17:43

Re: Billboards decry gunfire -- ads displayed across Hudson County send message to prevent gun violence
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
These are the new 'hearing aids' for when Healy or Comey make statements about crime and most things that pass through their lips concerning JC.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/6/16 14:12
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Billboards decry gunfire -- ads displayed across Hudson County send message to prevent gun violence
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Billboards decry gunfire

Outdoor ads displayed across Hudson County send message to prevent gun violence

Ricardo Kaulessar -- Jersey Reporter -- 06/15/2007

THE BILLBOARD SAYS IT ALL – This billboard, being held by Noemi Bonilla of the advertising company Titan Worldwide (left) and Hudson County Prosecutor Edward J. DeFazio (right), is being displayed on New Jersey Transit buses and Light Rail trains to help prevent gun violence.

It's a picture of a young African-American girl accompanied by the words, "Don't shoot. I want to grow up."

The image is familiar to Hudson County residents who have seen it on billboards above busy thoroughfares and on New Jersey Transit buses and Light Rail trains.

This advertising campaign is being carried out by the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office in conjunction with the New Jersey Attorney General's Office.

It is being financed by a state grant.

Hudson County Prosecutor Edward J. DeFazio said last week that his office decided to launch this media campaign to remind the public of the overwhelming problem of gun violence amongst youth and adults.

"We decided an educational campaign was an appropriate way to accentuate the dangers inherent with gunfire on the streets," DeFazio said. "People have to realize innocent bystanders, including children, are at risk of bodily injury and death."

DeFazio said that as of May, there have been seven shooting homicides in Hudson County, all of them occurring in Jersey City. According to crime statistics gathered by the Jersey City Police Department, from January to April there were 37 aggravated assaults and 105 robberies involving firearms.

Although DeFazio said that crime is decreasing in many categories, there are "one too many" incidents involving guns, many of which are trafficked into the city from other states.

DeFazio hopes people will see the billboards and think twice about using a firearm, or stop someone from using one irresponsibly.

"It should remind people that they are responsible for those elements in society who are willing to resort to the use of a firearm to settle a dispute," DeFazio said. "People have to realize it will take a partnership of all interested persons to control gun violence."

DeFazio recalled the shooting death of Michael James Taylor in July 2004.

Taylor, a 17-year old Wilkinson Avenue resident, was killed on his block as the result of mistaken identity.

DeFazio also mentioned the death of 18-year-old Marcus Roberson, who was shot once in the back on April 14 at a party in the Montgomery Gardens Community Room. Two men were arrested in connection with the murder.

"Sadly, the common denominator between victims and perpetrators is that they are young adults," DeFazio said. "We believe it is an issue when you see the number of young men who are shot dead, particularly the number of African-Americans."

DeFazio added, "It is a national disgrace and it has become a national epidemic."

Reactions after anti-violence walk

Lifelong Jersey City resident Lorenzo Richardson has seen the billboards. Gun violence is an issue that resonates with Richardson, as he is an organizer of the Concerned Citizens Coalition, a non-profit founded in 1997 to find solutions to the problem of youth violence.

Last Saturday, June 9, the coalition hosted its 10th Annual Anti-Violence Walk and Competition, in which residents and students of four city high and elementary schools conducted a walk and gave performances highlighting the violence in their schools and communities.

Richardson said about the billboard, "It's a good message, a good idea" but he took issue with "a young black child's face" being used.

Richardson said more needs to done to address the issue of random gunfire.

"We don't come up with enough solutions but we are quick to prosecute," Richardson said. "There are a lot of factors as to why these kids doing this, such as no jobs, a bad educational system - and many don't have fathers in the home."

Richardson said he will push for the Jersey City school system to hold extracurricular activities after school hours so students have a safe haven to go to.

He also said the coalition is planning a community meeting this summer to address the issue of "violence and guns."

Healy commended DeFazio for spearheading the campaign.

"The prosecutor is doing the same job as the mayor in all 12 of the Hudson County municipalities," Healy said. "That is, the number one job - assuring the safety of the citizens."

Ricardo Kaulessar can be reached at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

Posted on: 2007/6/16 14:05

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017