Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
78 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City states crime is down

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/3 22:15
From JC - P-Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I agree there are too many variables here. What is the definition of crime? How many go unreported? Who is responsible for collecting this information & from who? It has gone down since last year, but what about the year before or compared to other cities?

It is good to see it in print but it doesn't mean it is fact. Although I would sure love to believe it.

Posted on: 2007/6/4 22:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 3:40
Group:
Banned
That's good news, but does at all mean crime in J.C. is in short supply. To state Jersey City states crime is down, seems plausible to me, per this AP news article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070604/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/crime

Posted on: 2007/6/4 16:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/24 1:03
Group:
Registered Users
In 2006, there were 10 murders. this is shockingly low. This is great news. I think the city should brag regularly.

Posted on: 2007/6/4 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/28 15:23
Group:
Banned
/agree

Ok JC, crime is down. We hear you, Healy, Comey and co. good job guys, let's keep it that way. Now lets take it a step further. Let us know what steps you're taking in advance of the statistics. Ez to take credit and delegate blame. Let us hear your policies clearly up front so we can really judge the results of your policies.

And can we get away from the near comical Downtown JC's robberies and muggings happening on the police's doorstep? I can't get the Keystone Cops picture out of my head every time i hear of another mugging and robbery within a block or 2 of the police stations. Not comical to the victims, and your stats mean little to those getting robbed.

Posted on: 2007/6/4 4:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
JCPD's credibilty has been seriously fcuked up by their personnel (some not all) and their general persona has been tarnished by the regular 'quality of life' issues that go unaddressed.
I hope these figures are true and that would be great, but unfortunately I have to be skeptical as we all know that figures and reports can be 'fudged'.

Posted on: 2007/6/4 1:41
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
The news that JC crime is down compared with
last year may be making local headlines.
However, I do not believe a word of it.
This is all puff-promo from developers' p.r.
people and local chamber of commerce booster
types.
Sorry; but I've lived here too long to fall
for local headlines.

Posted on: 2007/6/3 15:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 2:15
Group:
Registered Users
One less turd in the bowl doesn't make a bowl full of turds any better.

Peanuts aren't enough, big change needs to happen. Thats just a fact.

Posted on: 2007/6/3 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Good to hear!

Posted on: 2007/6/3 0:41

Jersey City states crime is down
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/16 3:14
Group:
Registered Users
Here is my article in this weekend's Jersey City Reporter. Any questions or comments, just e-mail me at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com or leave a message here.
Take care.

Ricardo Kaulessar

Jersey City states crime is down

City scolds media for not reporting 'good news'

Ricardo Kaulessar
Reporter staff writer

Jersey City officials announced that crime stats in the first four months of 2007 have decreased in several categories compared to the same time period in 2006.

According to crime stats collected from the city by the New Jersey State Police for their annual Uniform Crime Report, from January to April of this year violent crime in Jersey City dropped by 39 percent, or a decrease of 709 incidents in the categories of murder, robbery, assaults, and rape from the same time period last year.

Also, non-violent crime dropped 43 percent in the areas of burglary, theft, including car theft, and arson. There were a total of 1,409 incidents from January to April in 2007 in this category, or 1,074 fewer incidents than the 2,483 in the same period of 2006.

In announcing the crime stats, city officials have taken issue with the media for not reporting the "good news" of the falling crime stats with the same attention given to city crime being up in 2005.

In a press release issued on May 24, the city's Director of Communications and Police Spokesperson Stan Eason challenged editors at various media outlets, "It's good news, will you report it?"

Police Chief Thomas Comey said the "good news" about the crime stats should be reported by all outlets as it will remind people that the police are always proactive.

"I am happy that the crime stats are going down, but I won't rest on my laurels. I will continue to work to see it go down even further," Comey said. "But I am most proud of the men and women in this department who have worked hard to get those stats down and deserve all the attention for their work."

Comey along with Mayor Jerramiah Healy also credited the hiring of over 140 new police officers in the past two years and the use of COMPSTAT, the computer software employed for better analysis and pinpointing of crime trends.

However, some of the good news doesn't quite add up. An analysis done by the Jersey City Reporter found errors in the number of incidents in various crime categories cited in the city's press release.

Uniform numbers?

In the recent press release on the crime stats for the first four months of this year, as compared to last year's stats, the city claims huge decreases in specific crimes.

The greatest drop was said to occur in homicides, which were down by 60 percent. In 2006, there were 10 murders, compared to four in 2007.

The most significant drop in non-violent crimes was a 50 percent decline in street robberies; there were 274 in 2007 compared to the 543 in January to April in 2006.

But an examination of those numbers in the Uniform Crime Reports on the Jersey City Police Department's Web site (www.njjcpd.org) revealed that although crime went down overall, discrepancies existed.

When calculated from the numbers posted on the Web site, the percentage drop comes to 27.5 percent, as opposed to 39 percent.

The total number of non-violent crime incidents from January to April in 2007 comes out to 1,863 as opposed to 1,409 cited on the press release. However, a check of the numbers for the same period in 2006 borne out the correct total of the 2,483 listed on the press release.

Street robberies listed as 274 on the press release come out to 357 according to the numbers listed on the JCPD Uniform Crime Reports for January-April 2007.

The homicides for January to April 2007 is five compared to 10 in 2006, which is actually a 50 percent decrease.

What explains the differences in the crime numbers?

Eason, when asked last week about the numbers, said the information he stated in the press release, was sent to him from the Police Department. He provided a copy of the sheet with the numbers sent to him, which shows the numbers that he referred to for the amount of violent crimes, non-violent crimes, and specifically street robberies and homicides. He also said the information was confirmed this year by the state.

Eason after looking into the matter found that the police department had accidentally omitted the April numbers before they sent the information to him. Comey said a computer glitch occurred that tallied the numbers for January to March only. Comey went on to say that he is instructing his staff to "manually" add the numbers in the future rather than depending on a computer to insure accuracy. But he did verify that the information on the Uniform Crime Reports from January-April of this year was updated and correct.

There is a process by which crime stats are reported to the state's Attorney General Office. With Jersey City, the police department submits their uniform crime stats to the Attorney General's office.

It's all about good news

Eason in the press release takes to task the media for not reporting when crime is going down but are eager to report when crime is up.

"Despite our success, you have a tough time getting the word out to the public when a "shock-and-awe" inclined media refuses to share the good news with the public," said Eason in the press release.

Eason, a former print journalist with 15 years experience, said what led him to express his frustration was the struggle he faced to get those in the media to report the falling crime stats. He saw news people constantly coming to Jersey City in 2005 when homicides were at their highest level in nearly 25 years.

"I had to beg various reporters, some of whom are good friends of mine, to do a report on the falling crime," Eason said. "When crime stats are up, you couldn't get them to leave Jersey City."

Eason was asked if Mayor Jerramiah Healy and Police Chief Comey should have held a press conference to announce the crime stats, he disagreed.

"I have sent out press releases with the falling crime stats to every media outlet," Eason said. "I have sent the press releases out with the tax bills. The press conferences are unnecessary. Are you going to have one every time we announce crime stats are going down?"

But Eason did say Mayor Healy and DeFazio were scheduled to do a show on the city's public access TV station, JC1TV, where the mayor would announce the falling crime stats and DeFazio would speak about a gun control initiative he is pursuing.

Last week, Healy said he agreed with Eason about his assessment of the media. But said he found fault mostly with the reporting of a local daily newspaper and not with media outlets in general.

"You had the [local daily] when we had a spike in crime from 2004 to 2005 [report daily.] They kept a daily vigil. They recited every day that crime went up," Healy said. "Now, when crime is down, do you see them reporting it? No, they just continue to engage in yellow journalism."

Healy also expressed skepticism about the benefits of a press conference announcing the lower crime stats.

However, Comey said he would have no problem standing in front of reporters for any announcement on the falling crime stats.

Ricardo Kaulessar can be reached at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

Posted on: 2007/6/2 21:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017