Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: Angels Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
The last minute notice that the GA's were gathering for a Sat. press conference was known on Friday night, by several people that post on JC List. I understand that I didn't miss anything, but I missed the press conference that took place that morning.

I don't have the time to join any more groups. I've bitten off enough projects this year, as I belong to three community groups, and have my own group. And I have a new job. I would have loved it if someone had posted a little something on JCList, even annonymously. It would have been nice. I would have scurried out that morning to watch. I would have appreciated the late notice.

I am no longer pissed. But I'm being honest when I say that I've lost interest in the whole meeting thing. Maybe next week I'll feel differently.

Posted on: 2006/2/22 4:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/22 17:57
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, Bright. I emailed her. :)

Posted on: 2006/2/22 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Neeners wrote:
I filled out the form when I was at the meeting, but then I didn't hear anything back. Should I email with my information?

Hi Neeners! I spoke to pchops this afternoon and she said she had gotten in touch, or left messages, for everyone who's form she had.

Still, if you haven't heard from her just contact her at jcnwa@comcast, say who you are and give her your email and phone # and you need address for this Friday's mtg.

PM me or email me if you haven't heard from her by tomorrow, Wednesday and I'll send you the address info for internal mtg. this Friday. She's running around much today, her son has a bday, trying to book a GA space with me and OneSkirt, mtg. w/Mike of the GA, going to VVPA mtg. tonight to try and get space, so excuse her if she hasn't gotten to you for some reason.

Hope to see you this Friday!

Posted on: 2006/2/22 1:04
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Neeners wrote:
I filled out the form when I was at the meeting, but then I didn't hear anything back. Should I email with my information?

Hi Neeners! I spoke to pchops this afternoon and she said she had gotten in touch, or left messages, for everyone who's form she had.

Still, if you haven't heard from her just contact her at jcnwa@comcast, say who you are and give her your email and phone # and you need address for this Friday's mtg.

PM me or email me if you haven't heard from her by tomorrow, Wednesday and I'll send you the address info for internal mtg. this Friday. She's running around much today, her son has a bday, trying to book a GA space with me and OneSkirt, mtg. w/Mike of the GA, going to VVPA mtg. tonight to try and get space, so excuse her if she hasn't gotten to you for some reason.

Hope to see you this Friday!

Posted on: 2006/2/22 0:57
Resized Image

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/3 23:26
From TARDIS
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/2/22 0:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/22 17:57
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2006/2/21 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
Since it's been mentioned, if there are any people who are interested in meeting this Friday, 2/24, to work on a GA public forum, patrol in Van Vorst area next week with the Van Vorst Watch, and general volunteering with the Neighborhood watch, please email me at jcnwa@comcast.net with your contact info (pls. include phone number) This meeting is an internal meeting sans police/councilman. Just your neighbors!

Peace!

Posted on: 2006/2/21 8:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:

Skirt, thanks for the informative report. As you said, nothing happened, and you post clearly portrayed that. You did not elaborate on what was actually SAID at the press con/meeting, so anyone who was not in attendance is left to wonder what was said, if any (ie, what was the question that the Neighborhood Watch representative respond to and what was the response?). Now, in terms of how you learned about the meeting, I don't know why you are so offended by that perfectly legitimate question.

Not offended, but aggravated. Because you asked me a few times both here and offline. Once on top of the other. As I wrote here, Mike is my neighbor (and you know this). I heard very last minute from him. I had very little time to post what info. I did today. Just be glad I did, not upset that every bit of minutae was not written out. If you'd just given me some time, I would have been happy to tell you more (if there was more). That's all.

Anyhow, you guys really didn't miss anything. Seriously. All that happened - as I wrote earlier - was that the former Mayor Schundler gave an official endorsement of the GAs being here. Nothing else - just photos. I didn't hear all the questions, but the JCNWA person jumped in to state something about there being a need for people to help out and that there would be an informational meeting for the community (stuff you guys already know). I wrote what I had time to post before I ran out this afternoon. With all this now, I am sorta wishing I didn't say a word.

Posted on: 2006/2/21 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Goodness, too much drama fo' yo' momma!

Skirt, thanks for the informative report. As you said, nothing happened, and you post clearly portrayed that. You did not elaborate on what was actually SAID at the press con/meeting, so anyone who was not in attendance is left to wonder what was said, if any (ie, what was the question that the Neighborhood Watch representative respond to and what was the response?). Now, in terms of how you learned about the meeting, I don't know why you are so offended by that perfectly legitimate question.

Bright, the public apology was totally unnecessary, but very much appreciated. You're a real stand up person and I thank you & extend MY apologies for the misunderstanding. I will see you and the rest of the JC neighborhood watch association this Friday.

This thread is sucking up way too much energy that ought to be spent on more productive things. Plus, it's are making me wanna cheat on my diet and have a huge dessert. LOL.

Posted on: 2006/2/21 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
We should remind everyone that not only women are victims of crime or assault. Last year a man was attacked.

See old thread:

GAY BASHING 1 Block from Grove path -- near Van Vorst

Absolutely right on! Unfortunately, gay bashing has been going on here in downtown JC since I've lived here over 20+ years and continues.

Good point Annod and hope you come to Downtown Watch mtg. this friday or GA mtg. when it's set up.

Posted on: 2006/2/21 2:30
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
We should remind everyone that not only women are victims of crime or assault. Last year a man was attacked.

See old thread:

GAY BASHING 1 Block from Grove path -- near Van Vorst

Posted on: 2006/2/21 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Bright - Pam from JCNWA was informed too, and came to check it out But again - I think she heard very last minute like me.

You're all welcome for the informative report, btw.

...There has been no "official" public meeting yet in order to address the residents so you haven't been left out of anything. I have been trying to get a space so one could be had.

...Maybe some of you didn't mean it this way - but your tones are coming off a bit as if someone is keeping stuff from you. Well, no one is and I would appreciate it if you would calm down.

....I am not obligated to share anything with you guys, but I do because I am just as interested and concerned a resident as most of you. But I'm not going to continue if this is the type of reactionary response that comes of it. We're all just as curious as to what's happening. We're all concerned.

...This will not be a JCNWA sponsored/run meeting (or any other group for that matter). It will be the GAs own meeting - they will run it.

...When something is set up, you will all be notified.

Thank you for the report, OneSkirt. We all appreciate your sharing with us just as we appreciate jc_insomniac and pchops at jcnwa's sharing info here.

I don't think any of us feel we've been "...left out of anything.", OneSkirt.

Just so you know, you are not alone in trying to book a mtg. for the GA's as I spoke to Mike of the GA's and pchops(not using her name here by choice for her safety) that last Monday at JCNWA/Van Vorst Watch mtg. and Grace Church the next day about booking space for the GA's public mtg.

My contact at Grace Church told me they are doing rehearsals for Godspell in church space but that we might could get the gym space again if available on their calendar. Pchops and I spoke and our jcnwa contact who is member of Grace Church will call them to see if we are able to book space there for the GA mtg.

While we appreciate that this GA mtg. will be run by them, I think you should understand too that not just JCNWA, but also Van Vorst Park Neighborhood Watch and other groups have been working on these issues and will continue to work on these issues. Mike of the GA told me he welcomed enthusiatically our support at JCNWA/Van Vorst Park Watch and all groups and individuals to reach out to the GA.

It was the JCNWA/Van Vorst Watch who invited Mike and the GA's in January to speak,and I agreed with you and others that night that there was obvious miscommunication about their introduction/speaking at Feb mtg.

Even with this mishap I don't think this means the Watch groups don't deserve our support as it is they who first organized to deal with crime problems along with working with police, and they who invited Mike and the GA in January to speak before the Dixon Deli/Vega events even happened.

My point is you are not alone in wanting this mtg. to take place and we should welcome all groups, individuals, councilpersons, etc. who want to reach out to the Guardian Angels to not only come to this mtg. but actively support the GA by announcing their support.

The GA do not work in a vaccum as my long post on this thread earlier attests to their primary focus NOT being crime patrols,but getting the already established neighborhood watch groups to work with the GA's as they help us help ourselves.

The GA is not meant to be our own "private police" which is why those who do not understand their mission criticize them without knowing they engage a community by working with what is already in place and this is why NYC works with the GA's and cities throughout the US.

It's nice that you will notify us when something is set up.

We at JCNWA will do the same here for you and everyone at JCLIst if we book the meeting space for the GA's, and yes the GA's will run the mtg. not us.

Posted on: 2006/2/21 2:13
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JC - don't you think I would have told you all if I had know about this in advance??

Bright - Pam from JCNWA was informed too, and came to check it out But again - I think she heard very last minute like me.

You're all welcome for the informative report, btw.

As explained in detail earlier - NOTHING happened at this meeting. Truly. And it was not suppose to be a "meeting" per se, as I was informed when I asked a question afterwards of one GA. I don't know who set it up, but it was announced to the public in the paper. It was a bogus press conference moment for politicians, GAs, and that's it IMHO. I rolled out of bed to check it out. I was disappointed. There has been no "official" public meeting yet in order to address the residents so you haven't been left out of anything. I have been trying to get a space so one could be had.

Maybe some of you didn't mean it this way - but your tones are coming off a bit as if someone is keeping stuff from you. Well, no one is and I would appreciate it if you would calm down. I came here to report on it as a way to fill you in. One of the GAs is my neighbor and that's the only reason I am finding this stuff out at all. I am not obligated to share anything with you guys, but I do because I am just as interested and concerned a resident as most of you. But I'm not going to continue if this is the type of reactionary response that comes of it. We're all just as curious as to what's happening. We're all concerned.

As I've said before, Pam and I are trying to get a space for the GAs to have a public forum in the evening when more people can attend. This will not be a JCNWA sponsored/run meeting (or any other group for that matter). It will be the GAs own meeting - they will run it. When something is set up, you will all be notified. In fact, we would gladly accept any help in getting the word about about the still to be planned forum once logisitcs are lined up.

Posted on: 2006/2/21 1:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/3 19:04
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey Journal had an article on it:

Sliwa to talk about expanding patrols

Posted on: 2006/2/21 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
Bright, I just sent you and the JCNWA an email.

WOW! I got your email, replied and hope you know that I not only appreciate all your outreach here and to jcnwa, but my perhaps too nuanced point is that there are others at JCList (definitely NOT you!) who all they do is complain, shoutout to others to help and don't do any of the nitty gritty themselves. They know who they are, but you jc-insomniac I find always to be the friendly, reasonable person who reaches out to everyone.

Please accept my public apologies if you felt different from what I posted below. Sometimes trying to be nuanced doesn't work on these boards, and I'm sorry.

I look forward to seeing and working with you this Friday.

Posted on: 2006/2/20 22:53
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Bright, I just sent you and the JCNWA an email.

Posted on: 2006/2/20 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
I'm curious though, who organized the meeting and disseminated the press release?

Anyway, I agree with you. As someone else posted on another thread, the JCNWA is far from perfect, and it needs everyone's support to ensure its continued success. Without the neighborhood's support, it can't advance its mission, which is exactly the same as GA's.

So, when IS the next GA public meeting?

I don't know who "...organized the meeting and disseminated the press release?", either, but I know jcnwa didn't.

Maybe OneSkirt knows, since she seems to be trying to organize a public GA mtg on her own.

Quote:
OneSkirt wrote:

"...A few of us concerned neighbors are working to secure a public space that the GAs can use one evening to host an open forum for the community. This will be announced to every outlet we can think of so that those who want to listen and talk can come. The GAs would like a chance to introduce themselves, explain their mission and why they are here. They are also interested in taking questions from the comunity members and starting a dialogue with us."

As you know by your emails, jc_insomniac, there is an internal meeting of the JCNWA/Downtown Watch this Friday @ 7PM that anyone who wants to attend just needs to contact jcnwa@comcast.net for location and rsvp.

I know that you and I will be there, and hopefully others here will join us in your outreach, jc_insomniac.

I do know that OneSkirt was invited to this meeting along with both of us, and many others. It's open to anyone but ALL must make the effort to signup and come, as both you and I and others have done here.

I also know that you, myself, pchops(JCNWA), and others at JCNWA are making the effort by doing the work, (not just posting,) of making calls, reaching out to get a public space for the Guardian Angels.

As we both know,it's not enough for anyone to call for a meeting, they must do like us and "walk the walk", not just "talk the talk", as you jc_insomniac and others here are doing.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/2/20 22:01
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Bright, I didn't receive an email myself, plus I was out of town. I'm curious though, who organized the meeting and disseminated the press release?

Anyway, I agree with you. As someone else posted on another thread, the JCNWA is far from perfect, and it needs everyone's support to ensure its continued success. Without the neighborhood's support, it can't advance its mission, which is exactly the same as GA's.

So, when IS the next GA public meeting?

Posted on: 2006/2/20 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Minnie wrote:
Oneskirt wrote:

"This morning there was a not so well publicized "press conference" style meeting outside the Dixon Deli with 7-8 GAs including Curtis Swila. Cameras from Fox & UPN were covering it, as well as some local papers. Former Mayor Brett Schundler spoke, giving his official endorsement of the GAs. Councilman Fulop was also in attendance, though he did not speak. Pam from the Neighborhood Watch also spoke in response to an attendee's question. "
--------------

I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT IT AND I'M TOTALLY PISSED!!! AND I'M NOT KIDDING!

The only notice I received about this "press conference" was through a JCNWA/Downtown Watch email that was sent out Sunday night at 9:30PM. This is what it said:

Quote:
Hello all! It's -----.

Please join the Guardian Angels tomorrow at 11am, Dixon Deli, 358 Varick St. as Curtis Sliwa and the Guardian Angels receives their endorsement from Brett Schundler, (former Mayor of JC). They will discuss helping downtown and the other parts of Jersey City fight crime.

Thanks!
-------

I understand your being pissed that this was not at least posted here (I've been "formally" told NOT to disclose JCNWA email here by "principals", so until upcoming internal mtg. where I intend to bring this up, I defer).

However, Minnie, no one else posted this info here whether from Fulop, OneSkirt, GA's, jc_insomniac or others here at JCList signed up for the jcnwaj@comcast mail list.

Also, no newspaper, radio station, tv, etc, made this known that I heard or saw.

What jc_insomniac, pchops, myself and others have repeatedly suggested on JCList, is for everyone to sign up for the jcnwa@comcast.net mailings and then you would have known and others here as well.

My further suggestion is that you and others here sign up and say you want to attend the Downtown Watch internal mtg. this Friday, Jan 24th at pchops place if you want to contribute your input, suggestions, criticisms, etc.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/2/20 20:36
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oneskirt wrote:

"This morning there was a not so well publicized "press conference" style meeting outside the Dixon Deli with 7-8 GAs including Curtis Swila. Cameras from Fox & UPN were covering it, as well as some local papers. Former Mayor Brett Schundler spoke, giving his official endorsement of the GAs. Councilman Fulop was also in attendance, though he did not speak. Pam from the Neighborhood Watch also spoke in response to an attendee's question. "
--------------

I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT IT AND I'M TOTALLY PISSED!!! AND I'M NOT KIDDING!

Oneskirt, try Cordero School in Hamilton Park if you don't hear back from Barrow Mansion or Grace Church.

Posted on: 2006/2/20 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How exactly did they publicize this meeting? Did you happen to walk by the deli this morning and learn of the meeting yourself?

Posted on: 2006/2/20 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This morning there was a not so well publicized "press conference" style meeting outside the Dixon Deli with 7-8 GAs including Curtis Swila. Cameras from Fox & UPN were covering it, as well as some local papers. Former Mayor Brett Schundler spoke, giving his official endorsement of the GAs. Councilman Fulop was also in attendance, though he did not speak. Pam from the Neighborhood Watch also spoke in response to an attendee's question.

As far as I could tell, they were discussing expanding the range of their patrols, but I am not certain of the details. They are also recruiting new members (men and women) to help build the JC chapter.

A few of us concerned neighbors are working to secure a public space that the GAs can use one evening to host an open forum for the community. This will be announced to every outlet we can think of so that those who want to listen and talk can come. The GAs would like a chance to introduce themselves, explain their mission and why they are here. They are also interested in taking questions from the comunity members and starting a dialogue with us.

If anyone here knows of a good FREE public space that could be used in the evening for a few hours (say between 7-9), that would be helpful. Also, once its scheduled we need help getting the word out. So if anyone can pass out flyers, talk to tenants associations or neighborhood groups that you belong to that would be excellent.

Posted on: 2006/2/20 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:
Come on who was the rocket scientist that thought this one up.

What a shame.

CK

CK, someone posted earlier in this thread that the GA were initially invited by the owners of the Dixon Deli after the robbery and violent attack on the woman (owner?) working there late one night. The owner was a former GA, so this makes a lot of sense. In this particular case, the "rocket scientists" were the owners who were attacked by criminals.

Supposedly, the GA go into neighborhoods when they are invited and asked patrol the streets. I understand how local politics and public perception would come into play whenever GAs are visible, but face it, with all the violent crimes being reported recently, JC HAS gotten out of control, period. I don't know about anyone else here, but I still refuse to walk more than 5 blocks and in certain areas alone at night. And I grew up in the "worse" parts of JC! In fact, I lived right by the 2 worst projects in JC (Duncan and Kerry's Woods) and in many cases I felt safer there because I knew exactly what streets to avoid, while in downtown, it's unpredictable. Car break-ins, dead body drop-offs, and 4-hour late night crime sprees, anyone?

No one's saying the GA shouldn't go to other such areas of JC as Greenville and Bergen-Lafayette, and while I can't speak for them, I can't imagine why they would say no if they were invited. Perhaps someone should contact GA and invite them there.

PS: MrG, you're already cool in my book. I hate to say it, but part of the reason I frequented Melt was, besides the Ugly American, the awesome music that blared out of your speakers! Damn, now I'm fiending for an Ugly Am.

Posted on: 2006/2/19 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
It's a sad state of affairs when you have the Guardian angels patrolling yr city streets.

It conveys a perception that JC is a city out of control, which in some aspects it is,but not in the affluent DT area.

As been stated before if they really want to help, send them into the Greenville section (The War Zone) and put them through the real test, rather than having them walk around Neighborhoods that house Million dollar Brownstones and Gourmet shops.....Come on who was the rocket scientist that thought this one up.

What a shame.

CK

Posted on: 2006/2/18 23:48

Angels Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a little behind on the local news but after catching up today I see that the Angels have definetly arrived and have begun their patrols.

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/b ... 0.xml?jjournal?njc&coll=3

And here's the link to the self-defense classes that are starting up for women.

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/b ... 0.xml?jjournal?njc&coll=3

Posted on: 2006/2/18 14:36

Re:
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/8 22:08
Group:
Registered Users
F890 is now my new favorite word.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 19:22

Re:
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 13:31
Group:
Banned
Hell no, but I figure if I wear the digs no one is gonna f890 with me and it'll up my coolness factor by a gazillion notches.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 19:10

Re:
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MrGrieves wrote:
Now, can someone tell me where I can get a red beret and jacket?

Resized Image

MrG, is that your way of saying you are volunteering to patrol the streets and be a GA?

So, did anyone attend the Valentine's day rally at Dixon Deli?

Posted on: 2006/2/16 20:41

Re:
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 13:31
Group:
Banned
Oops, sorry.

Silver wings upon their chest
These are men, America's best
One hundred men will test today
But only three win the Red Beret

Posted on: 2006/2/16 19:18

Re:
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
HUH? No, I just meant that obviously a lot of us want to talk about the Neighborhood watch groups too (myself included). I was just suggesting that we take that equally important discussion to a fresh thread since our discussion is turning away from the GA and more towards the NW groups and what help they need.

So, I saw 2 of the GAs coming out of the PATH around 10am today, reporting for duty. So nice that they are coming in from other areas to help us, I think.

Posted on: 2006/2/16 16:14

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017