Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City to revitalize crime-ridden Greenville section
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.ted.com/talks/theaster_gat ... ontent=button__2015-03-26

I found this very interesting, some of you might too.

Posted on: 2015/3/26 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Which one - a friend is moving to Duncan off Bergen

I can't recall the name, its across from Wonder Bagels.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If it is a city owned building, sell the apartments at $1 for owner-occupied
I love that idea, on the Lower East Side in NYC most of the apts in the late 80's were sold for $1.00 so you now have a mixture of young newbies and old timers enjoying the renaissance of the area. But here in GV, I think the problem could be easily fixed by folks just buying and living in the houses instead of renting them out to S-8 renters.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I personally have a problem with all abatements, while I do agree with your sentiment. If it is a city owned building, sell the apartments at $1 for owner-occupied but taxed the condos at a conventional rate. Abatements hurt the regular taxpayer which is not taken into account when abatements are given.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:

Building on your statement - why can't the city act as change agent to turn some rent-controlled buildings into affordable condos?

I would rather the council passed a form a vacancy decontrol and / or removing a property from rent control if is is substantially renovated (i.e. bringing the electric, plumbing, insulation, etc. up to current standards).

Posted on: 2015/3/25 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Rent controlled buildings downtown and other parts of the city eventually became condos. Landlords could not make a profit and sold the buildings.

Building on your statement - why can't the city act as change agent to turn some rent-controlled buildings into affordable condos? I believe this was done in Great Britain beginning with Margaret T. No reason why only rich people are owners.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Rent controlled buildings downtown and other parts of the city eventually became condos. Landlords could not make a profit and sold the buildings.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:

Duncan and Bergen isn't in Greenville. That area has some very nice housing stock.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 19:28
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/25 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
P.S. One of the best fruit markets in JC is on Bergen ave.

I know the one you speak of. I used to shop there when I lived in the area years back.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Sounds a bit like the HUB project back when Schundler was mayor. The idea was to bring a new retail center that would jump start urban renewal. It didn't turn out that way.

Local thugs trashed a super market, shoplifted the auto parts store shelves bare, and kept up the thuggery until the businesses closed up shop.

The people come first and the retail businesses follow. I have a small property on Belmont Ave. One half of the block over the past 15 years has been bought up, renovated, and is well taken care off.

The other end of the block is mid sized apartment building full of Section 8 tenants. Drugs, crime, trash, and general thuggery rules there. The shame is these are nice buildings built for the young, growing middle class during the 1920s. They could be nice buildings again. The only way that will happen is if Section 8 is phased out as well as rent control. The mayor and city council can pass some sort of phase out of rent control (was done for abandoned buildings under Schundler). Section 8 though is a politically entrenched federal program. Short of a complete economic collapse or Carrington event, I don't see it going away ever.

The section of town I am in , we don't have many large buildings in the area, the buildings that are large are for seniors. The section that is torn down here are the commercial districts, which are mostly abandoned buildings and empty lots which attracts crime. If you were to walk down Ocean Ave. to DTJC you will see a forgotten city to a new city.
Most side streets in GV are tree lined with well kept homes. Some developer just renovated a building on Ocean ave it was gutted and restored with floor to ceiling glass store front without GATES and it is making a huge difference, people are less likely to hang around with something new and the possibilities of cameras..
Lets be real? Most residents of GV as well as other parts of the city don't frequent Ocean, or MLK because there is nothing there really except for Bodegas, Laundry Mats, Liquor Stores, Fried Chicken, and Churches. Things are improving a bit with some new things have coming to the area but these strips have such a negative reputation so residents are not being as supportive..

We do have our share of section 8 residents here too but they live in rented houses or two families so its not much of problem as Belmont, I lived on Belmont for about two years. I loved the park but hated Bergen ave, which is starting to clean up nicely. P.S. One of the best fruit markets in JC is on Bergen ave.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds a bit like the HUB project back when Schundler was mayor. The idea was to bring a new retail center that would jump start urban renewal. It didn't turn out that way.

Local thugs trashed a super market, shoplifted the auto parts store shelves bare, and kept up the thuggery until the businesses closed up shop.

The people come first and the retail businesses follow. I have a small property on Belmont Ave. One half of the block over the past 15 years has been bought up, renovated, and is well taken care off.

The other end of the block is mid sized apartment building full of Section 8 tenants. Drugs, crime, trash, and general thuggery rules there. The shame is these are nice buildings built for the young, growing middle class during the 1920s. They could be nice buildings again. The only way that will happen is if Section 8 is phased out as well as rent control. The mayor and city council can pass some sort of phase out of rent control (was done for abandoned buildings under Schundler). Section 8 though is a politically entrenched federal program. Short of a complete economic collapse or Carrington event, I don't see it going away ever.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Are you from Saudi?

Posted on: 2015/3/25 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
just put the rotten apples on notice that they will be sent to saudi arabia if they misbehave and the rotten apples will likely get smarter!

Posted on: 2015/3/25 13:24

Jersey City to revitalize crime-ridden Greenville section
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
A crime ridden area of one Hudson County city is getting a makeover.
The Jersey City mayor?s office has announced it will focus on the Greenville section of the city, attempting to bring it back to the vibrant commercial district it once was.
Many residents say the Greenville section has changed over the years. The streets used to be lined with dress shops....

More

Posted on: 2015/3/25 12:01

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017