Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City's new vacant lot ordinance sets standards for owners
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Well, that's not what they're saying the fee is for, is it? And who's to tell someone owning anything how they want to manage their investment?

Contrary to the previous poster, it's not a "disincentive" to keep the property vacant. The costs involved are tiny compared to the cost of developing on the land.

However, it does require owners to step up and take responsibility for keeping the property clean. And yes, the city does have a valid interest in not letting those vacant plots turn into miniature garbage dumps.

Most towns (and I imagine JC as well) have ordinances that allow fines to be assessed to property owners (homes, businesses, and open lots) for not keeping up their property. In some cases towns will send crews to, say, cut grass or weeds then bill the owner. Liens will be placed on the property that will ensure the money is recovered.

Forcing responsible property owners to pay for the neglect of others seems ass backwards, especially when they're already paying property taxes to take care of this.

But it's a done deal. I guess next they'll insist that empty lot owners plant organic gardens and distribute the food free.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Well, that's not what they're saying the fee is for, is it? And who's to tell someone owning anything how they want to manage their investment?

Contrary to the previous poster, it's not a "disincentive" to keep the property vacant. The costs involved are tiny compared to the cost of developing on the land.

However, it does require owners to step up and take responsibility for keeping the property clean. And yes, the city does have a valid interest in not letting those vacant plots turn into miniature garbage dumps.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Property owners of vacant lots do not clear the snow or garbage but the city does nothing about this. If inspectors were hired from this fee to visit these lots to make sure they are following the same rules as other property owners, then the fee is fine. I guess we will have to wait until winter to see what happens to these empty lots.

I'm sure some do, otherwise they would get fined, same as property owners with houses? Why wouldn't the same code enforcers who go after homeowners with snowy sidewalks go after vacant lot owners?

What's next, making homeowners register and pay a $250 fee so they can support code enforcement against homeowners who don't keep up their property?

Don't real estate taxes go to pay for code enforcement by municipal workers already???

This is all I hear at the Captain's meeting and block association meetings budjet it tight and not enough man-power.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 11:23
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Property owners of vacant lots do not clear the snow or garbage but the city does nothing about this. If inspectors were hired from this fee to visit these lots to make sure they are following the same rules as other property owners, then the fee is fine. I guess we will have to wait until winter to see what happens to these empty lots.

I'm sure some do, otherwise they would get fined, same as property owners with houses? Why wouldn't the same code enforcers who go after homeowners with snowy sidewalks go after vacant lot owners?

What's next, making homeowners register and pay a $250 fee so they can support code enforcement against homeowners who don't keep up their property?

Don't real estate taxes go to pay for code enforcement by municipal workers already???

It's a disincentive to keeping vacant land. If you want to own land, do something with it.

Pay attention to what people do, not what they say.

Who's to tell someone? The government. They've been doing that since the beginning of governments, so don't act surprised now.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

It's a disincentive to keeping vacant land. If you want to own land, do something with it.

Mamma Government. Just keeps on inflating and getting larger...

Posted on: 2014/8/13 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/13 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/13 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Inflation.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/12 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/12 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Hopefully, the city will use that money to hire inspectors to make sure these lots have the garbage removed and the snow cleaned. If not, then this fee is just a penalty in owning property in JC.

Aren't there codes that allow the city to fine or perform remediation on overgrown or dangerous lots already? To add a fee to those lot owners who pay taxes and maintain their property, to pay for the city to go after those who don't, is insane-they've already paid taxes to do this.

I don't get this either. Isn't this what property taxes pay for? It's like charging me a fee because I have a blue house.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I went to caucus meeting when this was first mention by Anthony Cruz. All lots must be registered. There is no distinction between maintained lots and non-maintained lots. Many reporters do not get the facts straight. There was also talk about increasing fees. So let me state, if the money goes to hire inspectors, no problem. But if the money goes into the general treasury, then it is a penalty for owning property in JC.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Hopefully, the city will use that money to hire inspectors to make sure these lots have the garbage removed and the snow cleaned. If not, then this fee is just a penalty in owning property in JC.

Uh no. Did you read it? It's a fine for having a vacant lot that isn't registered and maintained.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Aren't there codes that allow the city to fine or perform remediation on overgrown or dangerous lots already? To add a fee to those lot owners who pay taxes and maintain their property, to pay for the city to go after those who don't, is insane-they've already paid taxes to do this.

Posted on: 2014/8/11 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/11 22:41

Jersey City's new vacant lot ordinance sets standards for owners
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Nicolas Fernandes | The Jersey Journal

Jersey City has launched an initiative to make sure landlords tidy up their vacant lots.

Mayor Steve Fulop highlighted the Vacant Lot Registration Ordinance, which took effect July 1, in a prepared statement.

The ordinance requires the owners of vacant lots to register with the city. The law also sets standards for how the lots must be maintained, including installing a 6-foot fence around the lot and making sure it's clear of debris.

"The vacant lot registration ordinance and code enforcement standards will make Jersey City cleaner, safer and improve the quality of life for residents," Fulop said.

There are approximately 1,500 vacant lots citywide, according to the mayor's office.

Registration costs $250, which goes into the Department of Housing, Economic Development & Commerce's fund used to conduct abandoned property inspections.

The city already has an ordinance that applies to vacant buildings. That law took effect in November 2011.

More than 1,200 vacant buildings have been registered since 2012 and several hundred of those registrations have since been renewed. The city has generated more than $500,000 as a result of the law, the mayor's office said.

"We have seen the impact the vacant building registration has had and this was the next step in ensuring property owners are responsible and that our community is kept clean and safe," Fulop said.

The vacant lot ordinance was pursued due to a flood of complaints from residents, city officials said.

Posted on: 2014/8/11 17:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017