Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City and Englewood mayors will co-chair light-rail panel to push transit line into Bergen
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Much of the existing Light Rail was done on existing rights-of-way; starting from scratch in the middle of a city would be incredibly expensive, hence the common use of buses to serve that purpose.

Current bus routes pretty much follow the old trolley lines. The trolleys were replaced with buses because tracks cost more to maintain and the trolleys interfered with road traffic. The only reason they weren't ripped out sooner was WWII cutting off the supply of rubber (tires) and creating fuel shortages.

Sometimes I wonder (assuming the funds actually existed) if running the light rail as a skytrain could work. However, I would expect huge opposition from those who would have the platforms built next to their homes. I remember when the light rail was being built in the downtown area. Many people where apoplectic over the project. I remember people claiming the trains would cause their homes to shake and eventually collapse, children would be run over, fire and brimestone would rain down from the heavens, etc.

Posted on: 2014/11/9 15:14

Re: Jersey City and Englewood mayors will co-chair light-rail panel to push transit line into Bergen
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Light rail closer to extending to Bergen County
With no $$ from feds, local mayors meet to ask for state funds

by Al Sullivan
Reporter staff writer
Nov 09, 2014 | 30

Seeking to get state-funding for the long stalled Bergen County arm of the Hudson Bergen Light Rail, elected officials including West New York Mayor Felix Roque gathered at the of Exchange Place transit station in Jersey City on Oct. 20.

First conceived more than 30 years ago with construction started in Hudson County about 15 years ago, the light rail ? funded by federal money ? stopped short of achieving its goal to become a two-county system, something local officials would like to change.

The line runs from Bayonne through Jersey City, Hoboken, Weehawken, North Bergen, and Union City, but never reached Ridgewood as originally intended.

Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto said that despite the best efforts of Rep. Bill Pascrell, federal funding is not available to continue the line into Bergen County. He hopes to expand the state Transportation Trust Fund ? which receives matching money from the federal government ? to include expanding the line.

Unable to put a total price tag on the project, Prieto said the expansion would likely be done in phases, with the first leg extending the line from its current terminus in North Bergen.

The trust fund, which the state legislature must replenish, has about $1.2 billion currently, and he hopes that by adding more, the state can leverage enough to begin construction the next phase. He said he hopes to put in $1.6 billion, maybe even $2 billion.

This would bypass the current logjam in the House of Representatives, since the state would be putting up half the money. It is uncertain whether or not Gov. Christopher Christie would go along with the move.

Read more: Hudson Reporter - Light rail closer to extending to Bergen County With no
http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... s--?instance=latest_story

Posted on: 2014/11/9 5:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
honestly I would prefer another line running through the inner portions of the city. The Heights, J.sq, Westside, and North Bergen could use a line. From where I am now it take a 20 minute walk to the closest station in the Heights.

Much of the existing Light Rail was done on existing rights-of-way; starting from scratch in the middle of a city would be incredibly expensive, hence the common use of buses to serve that purpose.

I know that. Either way I still would like to see a new line one day for the inner sections of the county but it would cost billions to even get it done.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
honestly I would prefer another line running through the inner portions of the city. The Heights, J.sq, Westside, and North Bergen could use a line. From where I am now it take a 20 minute walk to the closest station in the Heights.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/21 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
YES FKN PLEASE
It'd be glorious to not have that 10 minute walk to hit hudson mall or dodge traffic going across the Tunnel streets to get to target/etc.Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I'm glad it's expanding, but it should also be adding two JC stops that have been proposed- 18th Street (to get more development north of the tunnel) and Route 440/Hackensack Waterfront (to spur the long overdue new development by Society Hill and so people can get to stores over there via PT).

Would like to see Fulop push for that.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad it's expanding, but it should also be adding two JC stops that have been proposed- 18th Street (to get more development north of the tunnel) and Route 440/Hackensack Waterfront (to spur the long overdue new development by Society Hill and so people can get to stores over there via PT).

Would like to see Fulop push for that.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
The new proposed line ends in Englewood because Tenafly folks don't want any...visitors...from Englewood.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
this is probably the most sane, logical, intelligent thing FAB has ever said.
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
The light-rail is the best thing that has happened to JC and NJ's Hudson River communities - It should be expanded the entire length of the State along the Hudson and inland with 30 minutes of the river and Manhattan.

NJ should attempt to be the State with the best public transport infrastructure that NY can never be. We have space and land to create new housing estates less then 30 minutes from the NY and Newark with optional express light-rail and train access.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
See the map of the proposed route on this page.

http://www.northernbranchcorridor.com/

The prior proposal was studying the light rail along this branch either 1) Stopping at Englewood Rte 4, or 2) Continuing to the Englewood stops and then to two stops in Tenafly.

Tenalfy, however, was strongly opposed to the Light Rail. Meanwhile, Englewood wanted it, and wanted it to make stops through the whole town, not just terminate at the Route 4 stop.

So now the proposal excludes Tenafly but includes the three Englewood stops. Personally I think Tenafly would benefit, but it's hard to justify spending more money to extend the line if the community is that opposed.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The light-rail is the best thing that has happened to JC and NJ's Hudson River communities - It should be expanded the entire length of the State along the Hudson and inland with 30 minutes of the river and Manhattan.

NJ should attempt to be the State with the best public transport infrastructure that NY can never be. We have space and land to create new housing estates less then 30 minutes from the NY and Newark with optional express light-rail and train access.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 3:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
I'm asking so I'm clear of the plan. They want to extend it to Englewood with multiple stops along the way? Or is it one straight shot to the hospital?

Posted on: 2014/3/20 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
The Jersey Journal

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop is co-chairing a panel of Hudson and Bergen County mayors, along with Englewood Mayor Frank Huttle III, created to push the light-rail train line further north, Huttle announced today.

The Mayors? Hudson/Bergen Light Rail Commission is comprised of officials where the line runs and where officials want it extended. Others on the panel will include Mayors James Rotundo of Palisades Park, Anthony Suarez, Ridgefield, Vincent Bellucci, Jr., Fairview, Nicholas Sacco, North Bergen, Felix Roque, West New York, Brian Stack, Union City. Richard F. Turner, Weehawken, Dawn Zimmer, Hoboken, John DeSimone, Leonia, and Mark Smith, Bayonne .
Read More

So, it's just Tenafly opposed to the project still, as they have been from the beginning? Why does Tenafly get to derail this reasonable project? Why not have it terminate at Englewood Hospital? Screw Tenafly.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Wouldn't it be nice to see local Senators Booker and Menendez ask Obama for money to fund this shovel ready project? Since we're almost at the bottom of receiving back Federal taxes this urban, green, mass transit program would seem to be a perfect project that ticks all the boxes.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 21:56

Jersey City and Englewood mayors will co-chair light-rail panel to push transit line into Bergen
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey Journal

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop is co-chairing a panel of Hudson and Bergen County mayors, along with Englewood Mayor Frank Huttle III, created to push the light-rail train line further north, Huttle announced today.

The Mayors? Hudson/Bergen Light Rail Commission is comprised of officials where the line runs and where officials want it extended. Others on the panel will include Mayors James Rotundo of Palisades Park, Anthony Suarez, Ridgefield, Vincent Bellucci, Jr., Fairview, Nicholas Sacco, North Bergen, Felix Roque, West New York, Brian Stack, Union City. Richard F. Turner, Weehawken, Dawn Zimmer, Hoboken, John DeSimone, Leonia, and Mark Smith, Bayonne .
Read More

Posted on: 2014/3/19 21:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017