Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
57 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 57

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Maxwells will keep name, but turn into pizza joint
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
In Hoboken every single dive bar turns into a "dance club" complete with DJ, disco ball, and doorman collecting cover charge on the weekends. This is a huge part of why the live music ordinance in JC took forever to pass.

Can you name a few? The loud fratty bars are usually that way all week long. I don't know of any dives that start charging cover on the weekends.

I think they were joking about the "every" dive bar thing but as I remember there were a few places that were regular old bars until the weekends when suddenly they'd have velvet ropes, lines and loud shitty music.

I don't know about the velvet ropes, but the Shannon, McSwiggans, and Mulligans meet the rest of that criteria. I know, because those three bars constituted the majority of my weekends a few years back.

Yeah, McSwiggans was the one I was thinking of. OF course I was being slightly hyperbolic, but really I have never seen this sort of phenomenon outside of Hoboken.

I gotcha. I've seen it in the city, too... Murray Hill, Upper East Side, and so on. Not "nice" establishments by any stretch.

I think it's mainly a continuation of college life. Many are used to these low key, townie dive bars as the hubs of social life in school. So when we graduate, and there is an easily accessible town where many of our friends live, that kind of scene develops. The majority of the weekenders you see in Hoboken are just that - weekenders. They take the trains Friday and Saturday nights, but are gone by Monday morning.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Even that newish beer garden in Hoboken, which is absolutely decent during the daytime, becomes a club from 11:00 onwards. Literally at 11:00 pm the lights dim and club music comes on. WTF!?

Hoboken is so, so bad, LOL.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
In Hoboken every single dive bar turns into a "dance club" complete with DJ, disco ball, and doorman collecting cover charge on the weekends. This is a huge part of why the live music ordinance in JC took forever to pass.

Can you name a few? The loud fratty bars are usually that way all week long. I don't know of any dives that start charging cover on the weekends.

I think they were joking about the "every" dive bar thing but as I remember there were a few places that were regular old bars until the weekends when suddenly they'd have velvet ropes, lines and loud shitty music.

I don't know about the velvet ropes, but the Shannon, McSwiggans, and Mulligans meet the rest of that criteria. I know, because those three bars constituted the majority of my weekends a few years back.

Yeah, McSwiggans was the one I was thinking of. OF course I was being slightly hyperbolic, but really I have never seen this sort of phenomenon outside of Hoboken.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 15:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/31 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/31 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/31 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
The thing is, even Hoboken doesn't have any proper nightclubs, does it?

Lots of loud bars with DJs sure, perhaps a little bit of drunken dancing, but are there any actual nightclubs with full dance-floors?

Robin.

The Cage
is a legit club.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
I think they a few downtown. There's one across from CBS I believe but I've never been.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The thing is, even Hoboken doesn't have any proper nightclubs, does it?

Lots of loud bars with DJs sure, perhaps a little bit of drunken dancing, but are there any actual nightclubs with full dance-floors?

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
What's confusing is, why did Hoboken become the way it did while Park Slope and other pricey Brooklyn nabes became the way they did? Is it simply because one is in NJ and one is in the boroughs?

I think it's three things:

1. Really lax entertainment zoning. In Hoboken every single dive bar turns into a "dance club" complete with DJ, disco ball, and doorman collecting cover charge on the weekends. This is a huge part of why the live music ordinance in JC took forever to pass.

2. Desirable school distract attracting young families.

3. Easy commute into NYC.

JC is doing better on being nightlife friendly and is just as easy a commute, but the school system is still a mess so there's kind of a split going on. The families that can afford private school stay in downtown, those who can't move to the Heights or out to the suburbs.

Thank god we don't have dance clubs. We have had them in the past and they were nothing but a nuisance and that's before all the young parents moved into the area. Ironically, while everyone is clamoring for a Whole Foods that would be the ultimate homogenization. People have to remember too that Maxwell's wasn't exactly packed to the gills all the time. They were a great small venue for cult bands and bands that didn't have huge followings.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
What's confusing is, why did Hoboken become the way it did while Park Slope and other pricey Brooklyn nabes became the way they did? Is it simply because one is in NJ and one is in the boroughs?

I think it's three things:

1. Really lax entertainment zoning. In Hoboken every single dive bar turns into a "dance club" complete with DJ, disco ball, and doorman collecting cover charge on the weekends. This is a huge part of why the live music ordinance in JC took forever to pass.

2. Desirable school distract attracting young families.

3. Easy commute into NYC.

JC is doing better on being nightlife friendly and is just as easy a commute, but the school system is still a mess so there's kind of a split going on. The families that can afford private school stay in downtown, those who can't move to the Heights or out to the suburbs.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I disagree that all of DTJC has lost its edge. Much of the housing west of Jersey Avenue is a bit less...polished? and therefore attracts lower income and/or younger tenants.

And if Newark Ave doesn't have edge, then maybe we have different definitions of what edge is.

But I agree that Downtown JC really skipped over any sort of "cool" period. It kind of went directly from "a good bargain but not much to do" to "quite expensive and only slightly more stuff to do and now here are some strollers and a childrens' cooking school".

Haha.

I see DTJC taking a different path than Hoboken, though. DTJC is just as pricey as Hoboken, generally, so in theory wouldn't DTJC have already manifested its Hobokenness?

Posted on: 2014/1/30 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I miss The Frozen Monkey. Hoboken has too much money now to be a breeding ground for arts, music etc. All that stuff and the hipsters who are actually not trust-fund kids will be moving up the hill to the Heights and other cheaper areas. That's what happens with development and popularity and money. DTJC has already lost it's edge as more and more lame towers are built.

Hoboken is far from artsy these days, but the influx of money has helped the town. It simply has a different kind of image.

Look at other neighborhoods of Brooklyn. There is no shortage of money there, yet the art, music, and foodie scene has exploded.

JC is on the upswing, and it is now a matter of what path it will take. Right now, it seems to be taking the more eclectic, authentic path.

It's entirely possible for Hoboken to exist as the sporty frat row, and DTJC to exist as its "original," artsy neighbor.

DTJC is going to steamroll right over those things. I think every human is a "foodie" but the new influx of people won't give a hoot about any of that stuff. They want to be assured safety and restaurants and bars with sports on the TV. The hipsters with money will stay in Brooklyn because it's Brooklyn and NOT Jersey. That shallow stuff is important to them. DTJC is getting young families and South Asian immigrants for the most part. The true "living on the edge" artists cannot afford it here anymore. Alas, you cannot shape how an area will be because money talks and right now the developers are bringing in bags of it. It's going to be towers, towers and more towers. And actually Hoboken is quite a nice place to walk around by the water and by Stevens during the warmer months. Sadly, the newer buildings in Hoboken are fugly and some of the best old buildings are frat-houses.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 17:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I miss The Frozen Monkey. Hoboken has too much money now to be a breeding ground for arts, music etc. All that stuff and the hipsters who are actually not trust-fund kids will be moving up the hill to the Heights and other cheaper areas. That's what happens with development and popularity and money. DTJC has already lost it's edge as more and more lame towers are built.

Hoboken is far from artsy these days, but the influx of money has helped the town. It simply has a different kind of image.

Look at other neighborhoods of Brooklyn. There is no shortage of money there, yet the art, music, and foodie scene has exploded.

JC is on the upswing, and it is now a matter of what path it will take. Right now, it seems to be taking the more eclectic, authentic path.

It's entirely possible for Hoboken to exist as the sporty frat row, and DTJC to exist as its "original," artsy neighbor.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/1/30 16:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Having gone out and lived in Hoboken for all of my early 20's, I'd like to echo the sentiments posted here.

Other than wanting more bang for our buck, one of the main reasons my GF and I moved from Hobo was because of how homogenous it is becoming.

Every bar has the same frat crowd, same loud music, same ass-to-ankles crowdedness, and same amount of focus on sports television. While this used to be my idea of fun as I was coming of age, times have changed.

Regarding the restaurants, there are a few gems in Hoboken. La Isla, Anthony David's, Bin 14, Amanda's, Elysian Cafe, Zafra, Cucharama, and pretty much all of the Italian delis are standouts. I'm missing a few... but there isn't a lack of choices. But mediocre pub grub tends to be the focus around town. While DTJC lacks the sheer amount of choices that Hoboken offers, we feel that more places are trying to differentiate and offer original, high quality experiences.

My assumption is that this will continue here, rather than become the generic, stroller-and-sorority atmosphere everyone fears.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
@Robin?. oops, my bad?.nevermind. I mixed up two different posts and responded with incorrect info to the wrong post.
O

Posted on: 2014/1/30 5:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Finally, a thread that echoes what I've been saying for years. Hoboken is a gilded cultural void. This story is the epitome of what makes Hoboken lame.

At least they didn't give it another horrible NJ Italian stereotypical name like "goodfellas pizza" or "luca brasi".

Goddamn Hoboken is f*cking corny!

Posted on: 2014/1/30 5:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
owlie,

Maxwells is (was) in Hoboken.

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
FANTASTIC! Just what JC needs? ANOTHER pizza place!
God forbid we have some heathy alternatives. We don't have Fairway or Whole Foods or Kings or Trader Joes but we do have pizza "joints" and plenty of mediocre places to get fat in. Good job! Time to celebrate bitches!

Posted on: 2014/1/30 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Amanda's is excellent. Robongi is good sushi but only for take-out unless you like eating in a club. Leo's is a staple of family friendly Italian. There's a good Indian Place too. Vito's Italian Deli. Grimaldi's etc etc. Definitely have fine restaurants and Maxwell's will do okay even if it's not original.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Hoboken's downward spiral of lameness over the past 10 years is frightening. It's scary that Jersey City could be on that path. I personally hope JC takes the path of Park Slope. Stroller derby central, but still pretty cool and has good bars and restaurants.

Serious question, does Hoboken have any high quality restaurants? I think JC destroys Hoboken in that regard.

I hope the same. Anytime I go to Hoboken and walk around I'm amazed at how boring and uninteresting the place is despite the number of businesses and restaurants.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
A few..

Augustinos is fantastic for Italian.

The good thing about Jersey City seems to be that many hip joints in Brooklyn are opening locations here instead of in other boroughs of NY, or Hoboken.

Now we need more varied restaurants. Greek, Moroccan, and Ethiopian would be nice.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hoboken's downward spiral of lameness over the past 10 years is frightening. It's scary that Jersey City could be on that path. I personally hope JC takes the path of Park Slope. Stroller derby central, but still pretty cool and has good bars and restaurants.

Serious question, does Hoboken have any high quality restaurants? I think JC destroys Hoboken in that regard.

Posted on: 2014/1/28 22:28

Maxwells will keep name, but turn into pizza joint
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Am I the only one who finds this kind of pathetic?

"You can?t help but notice all the baby strollers on Washington Street these days. Those young families need a comfortable place to have dinner. And afterwards if people want to hang around a watch a game and have a beer, we?ll do that too.?

?We want to keep the tradition of Maxwell?s but make it fit today?s Hoboken.?

What in the hell does opening a family-friendly pizza joint have to do with the 'tradition of Maxwells?' Pizza is the most oversaturated market of bland restaurant concepts imaginable. They are aiming for an entirely different demographic than the previous incarnation of Maxwell's and it's insulting to my intelligence to imply that they are respecting the Ghosts of Maxwell's past somehow.

I mean shit, just be honest. "There's more money in pizza than rock clubs because this is a fully gentrified cultural black hole. We're renaming the place Charles E. Cheese's to reflect the New Hoboken."

http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.ss ... inally_closes_but_wi.html

Posted on: 2014/1/28 22:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017