Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Incentives for opening small biz outside of downtown
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/20 16:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It may not be a bad idea to get the Mayor and Council members to streamline what was formally known as the "Mayors Action Committee". I am not sure what their functions were other than helping senior citizens on various issues.
It can be part of an advocacy group to assist anyone who wishes to start a business here in JC. It is no surprise that many who tried to work with the different divisions are given the run around by some rogue divisions and unfortunately some are really obsessed with this "gotcha" mentality. This advocacy group can report directly to the Mayor or the Council and perhaps make the City a more user friendly place to do business.

Posted on: 2014/1/28 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
All of communipaw could be redevloped. Its just so hard to get anything done or even get answers.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Exactly, pretty much everyone I know that lives outside of downtown goes there to eat/hang. It would benefit the city and speed up redevelopment if they offered incentives to small businesses to open up in other neighborhoods. To only encourage real estate development seems pretty lopsided.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

wow so true, I would love to bring my business model to JC but its so Fuked up I wouldn't. JC is friendly to the big box stores and big wigs. I am currently talking to Rolando Lavarro the council president in hopes that he can change the atmosphere.

The building departments are run by the State Dept. of Community Affairs, which give the city little direct power to manage it. I keep hoping that someday, the city council and mayor would lobby the State to fire everybody, take over the Building Department, and then rebuild it with an entirely new (professional) staff.

I guess having the police raid the place (happened a few years ago) and the fact that a forensic accountant had to be brought it was still not enough to justify such actions.

Why not get rid of that ridiculous fee to start a biz outside of dtjc. I would open a biz on Ocean, West Side in a heartbeat if they do away with these outrageous fees. I would say most folks who live in these areas are hungry for a store or market to call their own.

Right now most GV residents shop dtjc or Bayonne because there are no businesses worth while using in these parts of town. It almost seems like they do not want people starting anything in JC.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

wow so true, I would love to bring my business model to JC but its so Fuked up I wouldn't. JC is friendly to the big box stores and big wigs. I am currently talking to Rolando Lavarro the council president in hopes that he can change the atmosphere.

The building departments are run by the State Dept. of Community Affairs, which give the city little direct power to manage it. I keep hoping that someday, the city council and mayor would lobby the State to fire everybody, take over the Building Department, and then rebuild it with an entirely new (professional) staff.

I guess having the police raid the place (happened a few years ago) and the fact that a forensic accountant had to be brought it was still not enough to justify such actions.

Why not get rid of that ridiculous fee to start a biz outside of dtjc. I would open a biz on Ocean, West Side in a heartbeat if they do away with these outrageous fees. I would say most folks who live in these areas are hungry for a store or market to call their own.

Right now most GV residents shop dtjc or Bayonne because there are no businesses worth while using in these parts of town. It almost seems like they do not want people starting anything in JC.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2014/1/7 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Fixing the incorrigible, business hostile, JC building department would go a long way to improving the business climate in all of Jersey City.

Getting building permits to build a business shouldn't be a walk through hell.

wow so true, I would love to bring my business model to JC but its so Fuked up I wouldn't. JC is friendly to the big box stores and big wigs. I am currently talking to Rolando Lavarro the council president in hopes that he can change the atmosphere. My neighbor a retired school teacher is trying to open a bakery next to the gallery and she is going through pure hell and its a turn off big time.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
part of it is finding a space that is worthwhile. So much of JC is very set up for residential.

Somewhat true. There are ton of worthwhile spaces, but they can be located in sketchy neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Fixing the incorrigible, business hostile, JC building department would go a long way to improving the business climate in all of Jersey City.

Getting building permits to build a business shouldn't be a walk through hell.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
part of it is finding a space that is worthwhile. So much of JC is very set up for residential.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Talk to the JC Economic Development Corporation. They stopped giving out loans, but they can recommend you to some groups that give assistance.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've been looking into it.... Grants etcs are hard to come by. Also just getting answers from cityhall is tough.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 21:49

Incentives for opening small biz outside of downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I know this administration has been pretty vocal about giving developers tax breaks for projects outside of the downtown area, but was curious if there was any incentive for small biz owners to do the same?

Posted on: 2014/1/7 20:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017