Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Enrollment by out-of-area students remains concern for Bayonne schools
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
I heard this about McNair from a person in the medical profession who states that she has coworkers who moved to the burbs and somehow kept an old JC address so their kids could go to McNair.

I have no idea whether this can be substantiated or not, but this person had no reason to lie. She used to live in JC and moved out because of the school system after she had young children. It came up when we were discussing the school system in general. I didn't follow up with any questions because I don't know this person very well - only in the context of receiving treatment for my daughter. I found it incredibly disturbing.

Unless the kids stayed in JC middle school or they moved after the kid got in, they would have to submit a transcript from a suburban middle school. No doubt this would raise a few red flags. Could they claim that they were planning on moving to JC before the school year starts? Are the admissions people that dumb? Anything's possible, I guess.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 4:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
I heard this about McNair from a person in the medical profession who states that she has coworkers who moved to the burbs and somehow kept an old JC address so their kids could go to McNair.

I have no idea whether this can be substantiated or not, but this person had no reason to lie. She used to live in JC and moved out because of the school system after she had young children. It came up when we were discussing the school system in general. I didn't follow up with any questions because I don't know this person very well - only in the context of receiving treatment for my daughter. I found it incredibly disturbing.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I owned a rental property in Millburn, and one of the neighbors had his sister's kids dropped off everyday at his house to take the bus to school-the sister lived in Maplewood. One call to the elementary school principal took care of the issue.

Posted on: 2013/11/26 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
McNair is by admissions and is open to all NJ students.

No, it isn't. It's for Jersey City kids only. You have to test into it.

whoops, yes you are right. changed in 08:

http://www.wiredjc.com/index.php?topic=1927.0

Posted on: 2013/11/26 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
I have also heard that this remains a problem at McNair high school - where non resident children are getting in the school there. Anybody know if this is happening?

Although I don't have children anywhere near the age of high school, this really bothers me. We have so few "good" school resources here in Jersey City, with McNair being a select few hundred available spots for kids to get an excellent public education. If this is happening, the City needs to do everything possible to ferret out the abusers and return those spots to residents.

I can be that ferret, I know of an out of town admission. Who can I call to rectify this tax theft. I am still waiting for Ellen Simon (JCBOE) to get back to me concerning the procedure to execute this dismissal.

Posted on: 2013/11/26 15:19
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
I have also heard that this remains a problem at McNair high school - where non resident children are getting in the school there. Anybody know if this is happening?

Although I don't have children anywhere near the age of high school, this really bothers me. We have so few "good" school resources here in Jersey City, with McNair being a select few hundred available spots for kids to get an excellent public education. If this is happening, the City needs to do everything possible to ferret out the abusers and return those spots to residents.

What have you heard? I thought this was settled some years back after the scandal in which it was disclosed they had admitted children of school system employees who lived outside JC. The worst I've heard recently is the suspicion that some kids claimed to be anything but Asian on the application!

I can't imagine how hard, and even traumatizing, it must be for a teen to successfully conceal where he actually lives from friends.

Posted on: 2013/11/26 5:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
McNair is by admissions and is open to all NJ students.

No, it isn't. It's for Jersey City kids only. You have to test into it.

Posted on: 2013/11/26 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
McNair is by admissions and is open to all NJ students. It's a magnet high school

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Rona ... Nair_Academic_High_School

I'm sorry but more schools should be like Mcnair...if you want your child to get into mcnair (which is great) but you are afraid he/she won't, then I suggest extra schooling at home or through a program if you ca afford it.

Posted on: 2013/11/26 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/11/26 2:48

Enrollment by out-of-area students remains concern for Bayonne schools
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Joseph R. Vena/The Jersey Journal
Very interesting, seems like the ride is over for JC students.
Parents who stealthily enroll their children in school in Bayonne continue to cause trouble for the city?s Board of Education, district officials say.

Assistant Superintendent of Schools Robert Craig said there have not been a great deal of recent complaints coming through his office, but the district continues to actively pursue leads on any students whose parents may be lying about their addresses in order to register their children in the district.

Craig said calls from parents or other concerned parties are encouraged, as the district has passed several resolutions over the years authorizing a bounty payment, which is now $200, to anyone with reliable information leading to the expulsion of a non-resident student. Craig says the bounties remain in effect.

He noted the board has received no bounty reports this year. During the life of the program, only three bounties have been paid out, which is due to a majority of whistleblowers declining the money.

"We have found that most residents do not want the $200 bounty," Craig said. "They are only making a report to insure that our schools are educating only Bayonne residents."

He said the cost of schooling a non-Bayonne student varies by grade, with a price tag of $9,894 for a pre-K or kindergarten student, and price tags of $9,208 for grades 1-5, $10,066 for grades 6-8 and $12,213 for grades 9-12, respectively.

Read More

Posted on: 2013/11/25 17:40

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017