Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: WNYC: Gay Marriage Ruling gives NYC advantage over Jersey City -- Goldman Sachs responds

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/17 0:33
From JC, Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Those 1100 or so federal benefits that were hard won through the demise of DOMA only apply to those married and domiciled in states with true marriage equality. Unfortunately, NJ residents get nothing out of civil unions other that a few state-only trinkets.

Marriage equality is not just about love, its about justice and equal treatment under the law for all citizens.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 19:27

Re: WNYC: Gay Marriage Ruling gives NYC advantage over Jersey City -- Goldman Sachs responds
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
yes, but doesn't jersey recognize all ny marriages. i agree that nj should allow same-sex marriage but if siomeone really wants to tie the knot, then go to ny

No, I don't think so. As I understand it, the NewYork marriage license of a gay couple would not be recognized in New Jersey. New Jersey does allow for civil unions, but that is not the same as marriage.

Anyway, that said, I don't think Goldman Sachs would shut down its Jersey City offices over this issue. Also, there are plenty of Goldman employees (gay, straight, married and single), who live in Manhattan or other boroughs and reverse commute by ferry over to the Goldman Sachs building in Jersey City every day.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
yes, but doesn't jersey recognize all ny marriages. i agree that nj should allow same-sex marriage but if siomeone really wants to tie the knot, then go to ny

Posted on: 2013/6/28 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I didn't realize GS had so many employees in Jersey City, but doesn't NJ realize same-sex marriages from other states? what am I missing? Can't NJ residents just hop across the Hudson to get married if they want although I agree that this is not the best solution

Sadly, DOMA prevented that in the past. NJ still doesn't have legal gay marriage. They just have some abomination of a civil union.

Maybe if the Democrats in the state had any spine, they would actually stand up for something that was right...

Posted on: 2013/6/28 15:44
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't realize GS had so many employees in Jersey City, but doesn't NJ realize same-sex marriages from other states? what am I missing? Can't NJ residents just hop across the Hudson to get married if they want although I agree that this is not the best solution

Posted on: 2013/6/28 15:22

WNYC: Gay Marriage Ruling gives NYC advantage over Jersey City -- Goldman Sachs responds
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-new ... dvantage-over-new-jersey/

Marriage Ruling May Give New York a Business Advantage Over New Jersey
Friday, June 28, 2013
By Ilya Marritz

Years before the Supreme Court recognized gay marriages on the federal level, many American corporations offered benefits to same-sex couples. They say it's what you have to do to attract the best talent. This means that the high court?s rulings this week may make New York a more attractive place for companies to do business.

One company caught in the middle of this is Goldman Sachs. The global megabank has about 8,000 staff in lower Manhattan - where gay marriage is recognized - and 4,500 right across the water in Jersey City, where it is not.

Edith Hunt, Goldman's chief diversity officer, said the company is prepared to move staff or offer other solutions to make sure employees in same sex relationships have the best possible benefits.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 14:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017