Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
57 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 57

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Candice Osbourne, Ward E Councilwoman elect starts a survey to track flooding
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 15:46
From Departing Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Bright St and Center St same sewage problems. On Jan 9 we had a lake of raw sewage which closed exit from the turnpike. I already gave up on the city.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 20:24

Re: Candice Osbourne, Ward E Councilwoman elect starts a survey to track flooding

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/8 2:24
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Jclisters, this is Lauren from Candice's office. Please call me at 201 547 5283 or email lauren@candiceosborne.com. Please also leave your address/area of concern too so I can provide specific update of what is being done . Thank you..

Posted on: 2016/2/8 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Same here. I've been trying to set up a meeting with Candace's office for a while now to talk about these issues with no luck.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 21:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/28 21:42
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Wondering if anything has ever come of Candice Osbourne's flooding survey/study. We are in the vicinity of Monmouth and Bright and still experience sewage backing up and flooding into our basement 2-3 times a year.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Althea...

My HOA has corresponded with you. I assume Candice is aware of the disaster that is Marin under the NJT and HBLR tracks when it rains heavily...

Posted on: 2013/6/11 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Link to article about Hoboken's sensor system:

http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.ss ... _sewerage_authorit_1.html

Interestingly, it sounds like a resident brought the technology to the attention of Zimmer. Maybe someone can do the same in JC ?

Posted on: 2013/6/11 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The pumps without a doubt helped during the 5 inch rainfall Friday, especially at high tide when the problems usually occur.

Everyone I spoke with in the York / Grand area with histories of flooded properties said the same thing.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
ye, that's right, Candice (who lives in the flood zone) is completely clueless as to the flooding issues that she has been helping find solutions for for over a year. OH DEAR!!!! Why did you guys elect her.

The survey was more of a work in progress, but the tracking is more about tracking flooding since the temporary pumps were placed at the foot of York Street on Friday right before the storm.

The York street area homes get flooded with 1 1/2" of rainfall. It's horrible. This last storm brought just over 5" of rain and they either had just a little flooding or none.

SO really the survey is unscientific and I am sure Candice would love feedback on how it can be made better, but it is really to gauge whether the improvements being put in place are actually improving the situation.

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
tracking flooding !!!!

Obviously Candice is a newbie - Flooding and sewers has been an issue for years in JC.

Here we go again - years of debate, research and other crap, but getting the problem fixed.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 2:23
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
tracking flooding !!!!

Obviously Candice is a newbie - Flooding and sewers has been an issue for years in JC.

Here we go again - years of debate, research and other crap, but getting the problem fixed.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 22:30
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I agree Brewster - JC is so far behind on this. We don't really know what happens, never mind figure out the best ways to tackle the problem.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

thor800 wrote:
I think this is a good start, but there should be a storm / date option that you can fill out for each incident rather than apparently having to send a separate survey out every time.

I think taking this a step forward would be installing some kind of sensor system to track how much water is flowing into the storm drains. This way they could correlate total aggregate rainfall with what drains are experiencing the highest inflow of water.

If Fulop can build a relationship with Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer, we can benefit from their experience in this. Under her they are several years ahead of us in taking flooding seriously, and had a prototype sewer sensor system installed there.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think this is a good start, but there should be a storm / date option that you can fill out for each incident rather than apparently having to send a separate survey out every time.

I think taking this a step forward would be installing some kind of sensor system to track how much water is flowing into the storm drains. This way they could correlate total aggregate rainfall with what drains are experiencing the highest inflow of water.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
This survey sounds like something that might be better done door to door.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
On the form it asks several times how high we flooded. It's a kind of foolish question for the many (majority?) of us who have sump pumps effective for events more moderate than Sandy or Irene. I can't keep my basement dry, but I can keep the water from rising. I'd have had several feet if I didn't pump, the cracks in my slab were squirting 6" in the air!

I'm not sure I understand the heat map comment, but some forensic work on where EXACTLY got street flooding may be extremely important, the FEMA maps being published that affect insurance are demonstrably wrong in many areas.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 3:23

Candice Osbourne, Ward E Councilwoman elect starts a survey to track flooding
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I received the following from Candice and it is a very good idea to start gathering this data directly from the mouths of the constituents to match them to the weather patterns over time. I know Jersey City Sandy Recovery is in the process of creating a heat map to share with the JC OEM to get a broader picture of who was affected, but this will track the affects of strong rain events and the effectiveness of flood mitigation initiatives.

I know that flooding is a constant issue in downtown Jersey City and I would like to begin tracking what happens after major rainfall events. If you, or someone you know, regularly experiences flooding in Jersey City, can you please have them fill out this survey? It is very important that we have data to help us understand exactly what is going on, what projects are working, etc.

From Candice:

1) High Level results of Andrea:

Per the National Weather Service (JFK & Newark), it seems we had just under 4 inches of rain in 24 hours.
The peak was 0.5" in a hour during high tide
See the attached image so you can see a graph of the distribution of rain.

2) Your summary of what happened:

I need your help! I would like to track performance of our sewers in the next several months, so I have created a survey that I really would appreciate if if you could complete it. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NFR3GW2

Posted on: 2013/6/9 22:04
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017