Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jury Duty question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
PS - a lot of the people who post on this site seem interested in affecting life in Jersey City for the better. One of the best ways you can do that is to do your duty on a jury of citizens. It's inconvenient but extremely important. Don't try to weasel your way out of it. If you admire people who serve their country in the military or in some other way, don't be a hypocrite by avoiding or complaining about something relatively easy like jury duty.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We didn't have any crack dealers, but we had a TON of cocaine, heroin, meth and ecstasy peddlers. A mixed bag of assault, weapons, shoplifing and burglary charges, and a few really disgusting and sad domestic abuse cases. The one stand-out was a cargo heist.

I agree that they can be short with jurors who ask questions sometimes. Most of the time it was because the jurors were trying to get and guilt vs innocence, intent, etc. All the prosecutors want is a decision on whether there's enough evidence to try or not.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Nice to know the Sergeant at Arms job is still going strong and they now let them sit with everyone else. I didn?t mention it but they didn?t even count my vote. Maybe they would have if they needed a tie breaker.

If you vote to bill someone they don't want to try, they might roll their eyes and look at you like you're all idiots, but the jurors make the call.

Yes I recall a few times after a vote the prosecutors would roll their eyes. Even with some of the juror?s questions they were very curt in answering them. I guess they don?t want the jurors thinking too much.

I still feel a prosecutor can really sway a jury on how they want it to go. I would love to know what is in the ?secret? grand jury records of the JC cop who killed that Bayonne woman with his car. What was presented to the jury? I think they said he actually testified to the grand jury which never happens much.

Just to show you how long ago I had it. I think it was the mid 80?s. They brought in a drug expert (maybe DEA) to give us an overview of a new type of drug?called CRACK. No one had a clue what it was. They said it was the next big thing and that it would destroy cities. They were right!

Posted on: 2012/4/2 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I had the same grand jury duty last summer. A few things seem to have changed since you had it - probably just because the court clerks are different now. Seargent at arms doesn't have to wear a suit or sit separately from everyone else. Still has to get up and go get the witnesses, though.

Prosecutors do occasionally let you know how they want a particular case to proceed. I didn't get the sense that it was because of favoritism, however. It mostly has to do with whether or not they think they can win a conviction on a particular charge. After all the evidence has been heard, the prosecutor will give you their recommendation - either a "bill" or "no bill" vote on the charge. Regardless, if all of the jurors think there is enough evidence to press a charge, they can vote to bill or no-bill over the recommendation of the prosecutor. If you vote to bill someone they don't want to try, they might roll their eyes and look at you like you're all idiots, but the jurors make the call. It's also important to remember that grand jury is not about deciding whether a person is guilty or not. All you are doing is deciding whether or not there is enough evidence to indict the person and proceed to trial, or to a guilty plea. Because of that, the standard for evidence is much lower and sometimes it does feel like a rubber stamp.

Having gone through this, I would highly recommend not trying to avoid it. It's like Law and Order and a Civics class all in one. PS almost all the cases are drugs, assault or both.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Glad you didn?t ask ?how do I get out of it?? It is important that as many normal people as possible serve as jurors. (I am assuming you are normal, you must be.. you post on JCList)

I seem to get picked for petit jury duty a lot. Last year I lucked out for once. When I called the number the night before the recording said my ?group? didn?t have to report we were excused for the two days. (great)

I had grand jury duty maybe 20 years ago. Yes mine was every Tuesday for 10 weeks. Work didn?t mind too much. It was a learning experience to say the least. This is all from my memory some of the stuff could be wrong, correct me if it is.

Here are some things I recall?.

They pick a foreman and back up foreman, they also pick a ?sergeant at arms? a sucker who has to get up every few minutes to go get the victims, witnesses or cops in the waiting room. (more on that great job later)Try not to get picked for those jobs, if you don?t get picked you can at least sit on your as* all day and just listen to the interesting cases.

The court clerk is the controller of the whole process. Before each case he tells you what went down and what the prosecutors are looking to charge the defendant with, etc. He more or less seems to steer the jurors in the direction of how the prosecutors want you to vote. (yes I was amazed, and made a note to myself to befriend folks who work or know people to work in the prosecutors office)

How do I know this? As I recall one of the cases was a *****?s son who was caught with some grass or something. The court clerk said shi* like ?the next case to be presented is of a good hard working guy who made a mistake?, ?you may recognize the name..his parent is a ***** and yada yada yada.? You could tell by the tone of the court clerk and the prosecutor they wanted to go easy on this guy. On the other hand when they wanted to nail someone they really laid it on 10 fold. (again as I remember from 20 years ago) I bet it is still like that as some recent non-indictments show.

The prosecutors then come out and present their investigation results to the jurors, calling the victims, witnesses, and cops to testify.

The cool part is you are allowed to ask questions. As I recall not to the victims, witnesses, or cops, just to the prosecutors. Why is a plastic gun given the same weight in court as a real gun? Because the victim did not know it was a plastic gun when it was pointed in his face. Interesting.

A vote is then taken to see if the defendant is indicted or not.

Some of the jurors really hit it off , going to lunch and sometimes dinner together. Car pooling, laughing, and communicating having a good old time. Some even exchanged phone numbers (pre social networking) with one another after the 11 weeks were up. Hugs and kisses good bye.

But NOT the ?sergeant at arms? his is a lonely job believe me I know. I was picked because of my size. The court clerk said he wanted someone big between him and the common people. Just in case someone flipped out in the court room. Great for me?yippie! The job sucked I was away from everyone else and they made me wear a freakin? suit every day I reported. WTF?

So again my job was to get up and go get the needed people from the witness /cop rooms when their names were called to testify. It wasn?t fun and games. Some victims and witnesses were literary shaking when I went into the room to get them. (I hope it wasn?t because of my size and looks..gee) I tried my best to clam them down with a stupid joke. (as you can tell from my posts I am full of them) A few latched onto me as we walked to the front of the court room. I recall one guy was so nervous he froze on the stand his mouth was opening by nothing was coming out. He looked over at me and I gestured with my hands for him to clam down take it easy/slow. He did. You know after a while I was glad they did make me wear a suit. It showed we respected the poor victims and witnesses. (not those damm coppers though)

The really great thing about the official ?sergeant at arms? job was the power that was bestowed upon me. When loud yelling and hooting was coming from the cop room. I was ordered to go into the cop room and tell the rowdy JCPD, PAPD, and State Troopers who were waiting to testify that they were making too much noise and to keep it down. I of course got the ?yeah right FUC* YOU bozo with a suit on? look from them each and every time. I hated going into that room! And to think those bastards were probably getting paid overtime to mock me!

Parking : I usually just park in one of the many pay lots around the court house.

Food: A Mickey D?s across the street, a couple of little places around. Walk to BK on Summit. Watch out for the 3:00 pm DHS crowd they will knock you down.

Hours: I recall we did not stay full days, some days we got out really early. On those days most of the jurors would hit the bar. Except me of course the LONER, the ?sergeant at arms?.

That?s all?good luck?enjoy!

Posted on: 2012/4/1 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
595 Newark Ave
Why in the world is it once a week? Any employer would be much happier that you take 2 weeks straight as opposed to every Friday for the majority of the summer. This makes zero sense.
JC truly excels at how difficult they make it for their taxpaying residents...

You can't blame this one on J.C. it's the County that sets the rules.

Posted on: 2012/3/31 23:22
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/19 16:57
Group:
Registered Users
Most Grand Juries are once a week for a period of time. You may not have to go all day every week, depending on the case load. It really is interesting, even if you will feel like a rubber stamp.

Posted on: 2012/3/31 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
Any employer would be much happier that you take 2 weeks straight as opposed to every Friday for the majority of the summer.

I'm not so sure that's true.

Posted on: 2012/3/31 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
now this imo is an abuse of power. there's a big difference between 2 weeks and three months...maybe the court system should be forced to pay prevailing wages or something.

Posted on: 2012/3/31 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
595 Newark Ave

Why in the world is it once a week? Any employer would be much happier that you take 2 weeks straight as opposed to every Friday for the majority of the summer. This makes zero sense.

JC truly excels at how difficult they make it for their taxpaying residents...

Posted on: 2012/3/31 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kelcey wrote:
Welcome to grand jury. Yep, once a week for 11 weeks.

And is it still in Newark ? Also if you work on Fridays it will be as if you were going to spend the day at work...time wise that is.

Posted on: 2012/3/31 15:55
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome to grand jury. Yep, once a week for 11 weeks.

Posted on: 2012/3/31 12:59

Jury Duty question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I received a jury duty summons in the mail that says 1 Day @11 weeks. Does this mean I have to do jury duty every Friday for 11 weeks?

Anyone know how these things work? It is inconceivable that anyone can give up every Friday for 3 months, in the summer no less. Please tell me I'm missing something here...

Posted on: 2012/3/31 12:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017