Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Got booted for being 3 minutes extra!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Why are we so over zealous and diligent with parking issues but not quality of life issues ? The pot holes are worse than the severe reprimand of parking illegally, also houses in disrepair, sloppy property owners, inept city workers that cannot be accountable for their actions, police priority calls, neighborhood bars that are not good neighbors, and utility companies that delay necessary action, and cell phone use are just some of the gripes that should go to the head of the line, not parking !

Posted on: 2012/3/15 1:20
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asdfdf23 wrote:
So you can get booted in Parking Authority Zones Three (3) and Eight (8), even when no outstanding tickets against you.

Where are zones 3 and 8?

This is still not right. Legal maybe, but not right.
A ticket after 3 minutes, no problem that I have no issue with.
A boot? After 3 minutes? Certainly after two hours a boot is justified. But less than that? Just a way for a officials to screw with people.

Zone 8 is around the college. Because of the sheer number of students, residents couldn't park. Also students were parking in people's driveways and creating a nuisance. Zone 3 may have a similar situation with St. Peter's, PS #16 etc.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 0:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2012/3/14 16:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
So you can get booted in Parking Authority Zones Three (3) and Eight (8), even when no outstanding tickets against you.

Where are zones 3 and 8?

This is still not right. Legal maybe, but not right.
A ticket after 3 minutes, no problem that I have no issue with.
A boot? After 3 minutes? Certainly after two hours a boot is justified. But less than that? Just a way for a officials to screw with people.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
? 332-40. - Failure to pay prescribed parking fee.

On city streets and properties owned, leased, operated or controlled by the Parking Authority of the City of Jersey City, whether on-street or off-street, upon which the Parking Authority has installed parking meters requiring the payment of a fee for parking privileges on the days or hours specified on said meters, failure to pay the prescribed fee for such parking privileges shall be a violation of this Article, subject to the penalties as provided herein.

? 332-41. - Monthly rental for parking space; expired sticker on vehicle.

On city streets and properties owned, leased, operated or controlled by the Parking Authority, upon which the Authority has rented parking space for a prescribed fee and has issued permits to persons authorized to park at such designated off-street or on-street parking spaces, parking within such parking spaces without a valid permit shall be a violation of this Article, subject to the penalties as provided herein.

? 332-42. - Form of summons for violation of Article; uniform traffic ticket.

The summonses issued under this Article shall be in the form of the uniform traffic ticket or such other summonses as may be from time to time designated by the Director of the Division of Motor Vehicles of the State of New Jersey as the uniform traffic ticket.

? 332-43. - Towing away and booting of vehicles with outstanding summonses.

A.

In addition to any other penalty provided by law, any motor vehicle parked in violation of this Article and Article III and any motor vehicle whose owner has failed to appear in response to three (3) or more parking tickets and has received failure to appear notices from the Jersey City Municipal Court may be:

(1)

Booted; or

(2)

Towed from its parking space and impounded by the Jersey City Parking Authority.

B.

No motor vehicle which has been booted or towed away and impounded shall be released until all of the charges in connection with booting or towing and impounding have been paid.

C.

The Jersey City Parking Authority is authorized to establish a schedule of charges for booting, impoundment and storage of motor vehicles parked in violation of this Article and Article III. Such schedule shall be filed with the office of the City Clerk.

? 332-44. - Towing away and booting of vehicles whose owners have failed to appear in response to traffic tickets. [197]

A.

Notwithstanding any other penalty provided by law, or any previous authorization given to the Jersey City Parking Authority, no motor vehicle parked in violation of Articles IV and V, or parked in violation of any other law, regulation, or ordinance, including but not limited to the City's zone parking ordinances, may be booted; or towed from its parking space and impounded by the City or the Parking Authority unless the owner of the vehicle has three (3) or more outstanding parking tickets and has received failure to appear notices from the Jersey City Municipal Court on such parking tickets provided, however, that this limitation does not apply within Parking Authority Zones Three (3) and Eight (8) and also provided, however, that any vehicle may be towed in an emergency, or when the vehicle is unreasonably impeding vehicular or pedestrian traffic, or when the vehicle is deemed a hazard to persons or property.
B.

No motor vehicle which has been booted or towed away and impounded shall be released until all of the charges in connection with booting or towing and impoundment have been paid.

C.

The Jersey City Parking Authority is authorized to establish a schedule of charges for booting, impoundment and storage of motor vehicles as described above. Such schedule shall be filed with the office of the City Clerk.

? 332-45. - Signs on off-street parking facilities operated by Jersey City Parking Authority.

Signs identifying this Article and the penalties for the violation thereof shall be placed upon all off-street parking facilities operated by the Jersey City Parking Authority that are subject to this Article.

? 332-46. - Enforcement.

This Article shall be enforced by the Jersey City Police Department and Parking Enforcement Officers of the Jersey City Parking Authority, who shall issue summonses for violations of this Article.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOOTNOTE(S):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(197) Editor's note?See N.J.S.A. 39:4-139.2 et seq. the Parking Offenses Adjudication Act. N.J.S.A. 39:4-139.5 provides for a default judgment against owners who fail to respond to traffic tickets after receiving a notice to appear. (Back)

Posted on: 2012/3/14 14:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
Two years ago I parked at Newport for 30 minutes about 11 AM to go to a job interview. I had a short interview, a second person with the firm was not available but wanted to meet with me.
I agreed to return at 2:30 PM for a second interview and did so.
I parked about a 1.5 blocks away from my original parking place. Since I had been away for 2 or so hours it never even crossed my mind that I could or would be ticketed.
I was at the first interview about 30 minutes, I was gone more than 2 hours and I was at the second interview 45 minutes.
Again, I was parked 1.5 blocks away from my original spot.
When I returned from the second interview I was ticketed and booted.
I just did not feel this was "right". It was not possible to talk to JCPA, they could care less.
I suppose some on this forum would say "tough luck" you knew that coming back and parking a second time would make you liable for a ticket.
If it would have even remotely crossed my mind that I might get a ticket, much less a boot, I can assure you I would not have taken ANY chances. Further, I maintain I did nothing wrong other than being in JC, a place where government officials just don't care.
Face it, Jersey City autonomous agencies treat people really shitty.
There is no valid reason in my mind to boot people with no outstanding tickets if they are guilty for minor infractions like expired meters or past the 2hr zoned time limit. Doing so represents a basic lack of decency.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

I love the credit card challenge idea, but I bet you'd need some good docs to make it fly.

How about a copy of the statute that states that booting can only happen if you have three or more unpaid tickets? Far as I am concerned, the charge for the boot is fraudulent.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 12:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This issue is an ongoing problem...

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Today, Jersey City Councilman Steven Fulop announced that he will have a resolution on the upcoming city council agenda requesting that the Jersey City Parking Authority reimburse all city residents that were illegally booted during the last four years. The formal request is a follow up to the successful first reading ordinance at the last City Council meeting that addresses many changes at the parking authority.

"Illegally booting residents on the first offense is not only an excessive hardship placed on individuals but it is back door tax on residents and their visitors. No other city in the country will confiscate an individual's car on the first offense as Jersey City is doing," said Fulop.

"Past Directors of the Parking Authority have acknowledged that they know confiscating a person's car after the first offense is not consistent with city laws. If city leadership can't follow its own laws how can we ask others to do the same? The right thing to do at this point is to return the money that was illegally taken," said Fulop.

At the last City Council Caucus it was explained that the city issues between 100-200 restrictive devices on cars per week. Both the second reading ordinance regarding the Parking Authority and resolution for reimbursement will be on the June 17th City Council .

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... tys_councilman_fulop.html

Posted on: 2012/3/14 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Don't mean to sound mean but, Not sure what the problem is, you were late 3 min. even if you were late 1 min does it matter? how is it not fair? I have had cars towed from my driveway, and they always seem to say I was only parked there for a minute. I say so what.

Can you really not can't parse the difference between parking illegally like in your drive or at a hydrant, and a meter running out? Assuming no outstanding priors, booting for a meter is like expelling a kid for being late to class, both are extreme overreactions.

I love the credit card challenge idea, but I bet you'd need some good docs to make it fly.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Don't mean to sound mean but, Not sure what the problem is, you were late 3 min. even if you were late 1 min does it matter? how is it not fair? I have had cars towed from my driveway, and they always seem to say I was only parked there for a minute. I say so what.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 1:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/4 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
They have been going crazy in Paulus Hook lately with the boots. Since you were there though you should have just taken the ticket & left before the boot was put on. Something is not right with your story. I watch them everyday & they would not boot you if your there.

I saw so many boots given out last week on Dudley & Washington that the scooter called & a JCPA van came & gave him some more boots.

Posted on: 2012/3/13 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you paid for the boot via credit card, can you call the card company and contest it?

Posted on: 2012/3/13 18:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:09
Group:
Registered Users
I had to pay $110 to remove the boot . As I had to move my car. But I haven't paid the $42 ticket fine.

I don't have a Jersey City permit, although I am a resident.

It's just an unfair practice. I was under the impression that a car got booted if it exceeded the time limit by many hours. An offence of a couple of minutes was just given a ticket and let go.

Posted on: 2012/3/13 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tern wrote:
If you were standing there while he gave you the ticket, surely you could have driven off before he put the boot on?

Robin.

It would have been an interesting exercise, I wonder what they would have done beyond simply sending you the ticket. A riskier but potentially enlightening plan would have been to simply physically blocked the JCPA guy and dared him to call the cops and explain to them exactly why you're being booted for just an expired meter.

Posted on: 2012/3/13 18:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
unfortunately it really seems that there is little to no recourse other than to just bend over and pay up. Which is probably why the continue to do it even though it's illegal. I always wondered what would happen if someone tried to put together a class action suit against the city, but good luck trying to round up everyone that has illegally gotten booted in JC.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to have a JC parking permit? I've noticed that they only boot the cars on my block without a permit or with out of state plates. If the car has a permit but is parked on street cleaning day they just issue the ticket without the boot. I've forgotten to move my car a couple times and gotten a ticket while a couple of other cars on the street with me had gotten booted.

Posted on: 2012/3/13 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
from what I understand if you need the car any time soon you need to pay to get it removed (legally at least...the above post is semi-tempting though!) and once you pay the tickets you basically plead "guilt" and you can't really contest it

so unless you don't need your car for a few weeks generally you have to pay up and I guess you could try to take the JCPA/city to court for unfair practices after the fact (but to be honest the time/money to do that is just probably not worth it which is why they keep getting away with this BS)

at the very least I would try to go to JCPA with a copy of the law (saying no boots till 3 outstanding tickets) and see if you can find anyone with half a brain to listen (good luck!)

Posted on: 2012/3/13 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe you could give this guy a call?

Posted on: 2012/3/13 16:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have had no outstanding tickets. He just wouldn't listen. Said there's nothing he could do, booted the car and left.

It's just unfair to boot the car, for just going overboard by 3 minutes. I understand the ticket but definitely not the boot.

What should be my next recourse. I want to contest this. Will it be considered if I contest a boot?

Posted on: 2012/3/13 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
If the boot was given and you have 3 outstanding tickets, you won't get much sympathy from this forum. If the boot was improperly given, that's one thing, but otherwise the law is the law.

Posted on: 2012/3/13 16:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
The booting policy is that they can only boot you if you have 3 outstanding tickets, unfortunately the city has long ignored that law and continues their booting practice despite even acknowledging it was wrong.

From what I understand there have been efforts by some, including Fulop, to repay anyone that has been illegally booted, with estimates for the cost to the city up to $1million. Of course certain members have stood against this as it would cost our already fiscally dismal city a lot of money it doesn't have.

Posted on: 2012/3/13 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
If you were standing there while he gave you the ticket, surely you could have driven off before he put the boot on?

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/3/13 16:36

Got booted for being 3 minutes extra!

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I got booted for being parked for 3 minutes extra on Dudley St in Jersey City. It's simply unbelievable!!

I was right there, when the officer was giving me an ticket. He just gave me that and then booted the car and left. Comeon, a ticket is understandable and I am willing to pay up for it. But a boot for just 3 minutes!! People park outside Dudley for hours and never get boot or a ticket. This is just so unfair.

Is there some policy on parking boots? Can I contest this in court? Has anyone been through this?

Posted on: 2012/3/13 16:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017