Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
167 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 167

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: VIDEO: Red Light Running Accidents - One in JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Even though I got tagged by the unmarked car on Coles for a "no one had to brake for me" rolling stop recently, I'm all for it. My day was made yesterday at 9th and Grove when for the millionth time in JC a 2nd car follows the car ahead of it through the stop on Grove instead of letting me take my turn, nearly hitting me. As I leaned on my horn flashing lights appear behind me and pass me to take him down!

What makes people think that action is not just running a stop?

I agree the cams should be properly timed, I've read the stories about the places elsewhere with short yellows. But the marking issue is murkier, since if you don't know where the cams are you would be more abiding at all locations, not just where there are marked cams. If I recall, when they were more expensive NYC put up a number of boxes for each cam and moved them around so no one would know for certain where it was.

Posted on: 2012/1/3 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Was just driving on Coles Street coming back from Hoboken. The guy in front of me was driving 20mph and is also a neighborhood friend whose mother was struck and killed a few years back. Suddenly the giant SUV behind me speeds up and passes both of us on our left and speeds off down Coles barely stopping at the Stop signs. No mercy for these dangerous and stupid drivers. More cameras and more traffic stops please.

Posted on: 2012/1/3 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
I noticed a brand new red light camera was installed on Columbus at Jersey Ave (only on the east-bound side) which will no doubt catch many people racing through DTJC to get to Marin Blvd toward the Holland tunnel. Ch-ching!!!

Posted on: 2012/1/3 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I stop at stop signs and red lights because it's a good way to stay alive -- and it's the law -- not because there's a camera pointing at me. I don't need a "camera warning" to tell me "we really mean it." The implication of warning people that there is a camera at one intersection and not another is that you have to obey traffic laws only where there is a camera. That's absurd and just plain dangerous.

My point about children is that my goal in instructing them is that they should do the right thing because it's the right thing too, not out of fear of punishment.

Posted on: 2012/1/3 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
You're kidding, right? You don't really think that's a legal defense, do you? Traffic laws don't apply because there's no cop on every corner? Do you have children?

Nope - not kidding. Have you ever driven on any road in the US where everyone stays below the limit? Do you think you could ticket everyone going +1 mph above the posted limit?

By your logic, NJ wouldn't waste money on signs telling drivers to buckle up, turn on wipers when it rains etc. Don't people from other states have children?

Posted on: 2012/1/2 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You're kidding, right? You don't really think that's a legal defense, do you? Traffic laws don't apply because there's no cop on every corner? Do you have children?

Posted on: 2012/1/2 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Unless you're suggesting that drivers should obey traffic laws only when they know they are being photographed, what is the point of the notice?

From a legal perspective, drivers need to be given fair warning that the rules are being "strictly" enforced. A lot of driving rules are not generally strictly enforced such as precise speed limits, coming to a full stop on red before a right turn, etc.

When the game changes, you need to give people fair warning. Deceitful placement of signs doesn't constitute fair warning.

Posted on: 2011/12/31 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
It wouldn't be a money making scheme if every traffic light had a camera. Just think it would regulate tailgating and speeding which eventually go hand in hand. I certainly would not want to be too close to someone who might stop short for fear of going through a red light camera.

Posted on: 2011/12/30 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Unless you're suggesting that drivers should obey traffic laws only when they know they are being photographed, what is the point of the notice?

Posted on: 2011/12/30 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
You know what they aren't showing you? All the rear end accidents from drivers stopping short to avoid red light cameras. Why? Because this video is being released by the company that manufactures red light cameras.

Give it up Dude, no one is buying that. Watch the video and you will see that they are clearly running the light that is already RED. The last guy does the classic "go around" into the right turn only lane and goes straight through the red. They are all clearly speeding, stupid or distracted or all of the above.

Speeding, stupid and distracted drivers aren't going to change behavior because of red light cameras. So yes, give it up. Statistical analysis of red light cameras time and time again demonstrates that they are ineffective at reducing traffic accidents and anecdotal fear tactics like replaying the worst offenders reel of red light video footage is good at scaring simple minded folks like yourself into believing scam technology will solve the problem of dangerous intersections.

What is harder for these drivers to do, stopping at a red-light when they are supposed to or stopping at a red-light when they are supposed to? If you are driving behind another car and the light ahead of you turns yellow would you really speed up? If people do that then they deserve tickets and high insurance premiums. No sympathy here. BTW, the red-light camera companies are no worse than the insurance companies.

I have absolutely no problem with red-light cameras under 2 conditions:
1. The signs are clearly visible. (Unlike the deceitful hidden sign coming out of Hoboken, south on Jersey Ave & 18th)
2. The yellow light gives traffic time to stop. 3 secs minimum at 25 mph.

http://www.shortyellowlights.com/

We can either apply some metrics to this exercise or just read the metrics the red light camera operators feed us. Let's at least have a serious conversation on what standards we need to apply.

Posted on: 2011/12/30 6:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
I saw workers putting up a red-light cam at the southeast corner of Jersey and Columbus today.

Posted on: 2011/12/30 4:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Isn't there already a thread about this redlight camera? , it seems that Jersey City is yet again lagging behind the rest of the world like California by about 2 years.

Theres tons of info about these cameras on the 'net. I read all about it on another JC message board. We're getting fed very little info and yes I suspect the delivery of this video like Ian said, but I agree with Viggo (sigh) that people drive Crazy here. I have no dog in their fight. tho.

For the record, I have never been to the Taco Shack downtown.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 18:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/22 22:35
Group:
Banned
A good old-fashioned IANMAC/Vigilante showdown? Nice. The official Mayors of JClist. Let's not forget you both have one very strong opinion in common...

Posted on: 2011/12/28 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
You know what they aren't showing you? All the rear end accidents from drivers stopping short to avoid red light cameras. Why? Because this video is being released by the company that manufactures red light cameras.

Give it up Dude, no one is buying that. Watch the video and you will see that they are clearly running the light that is already RED. The last guy does the classic "go around" into the right turn only lane and goes straight through the red. They are all clearly speeding, stupid or distracted or all of the above.

Speeding, stupid and distracted drivers aren't going to change behavior because of red light cameras. So yes, give it up. Statistical analysis of red light cameras time and time again demonstrates that they are ineffective at reducing traffic accidents and anecdotal fear tactics like replaying the worst offenders reel of red light video footage is good at scaring simple minded folks like yourself into believing scam technology will solve the problem of dangerous intersections.

What is harder for these drivers to do, stopping at a red-light when they are supposed to or stopping at a red-light when they are supposed to? If you are driving behind another car and the light ahead of you turns yellow would you really speed up? If people do that then they deserve tickets and high insurance premiums. No sympathy here. BTW, the red-light camera companies are no worse than the insurance companies.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Posted on: 2011/12/28 6:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Posted on: 2011/12/28 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/12/28 1:31

VIDEO: Red Light Running Accidents - One in JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/12/28 0:09

[Advanced Search]

Login