Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: street parking and snow
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
Let's hope that last year was a unique situation.

Not only was there nowhere to move your car to (bc the other side of the street was full of snow), there would have been an immense amount of snow at the end of every block. I can only imagine the cost of trying to remove the snow from the city's streets (e.g., to dump in the Hudson or wherever else they could come up with).

Actually how would that have worked? The snow gets pushed to the right, so even if the left side of the street was open, wouldn't plowing simply push the snow into the middle of the street. Maybe the plows can reconfigure the angle, but then wouldn't we end up with sidewalks full of snow (and they were already overflowing).

Hmm. The logistics are awful. i can see why they waited for it to melt.

Posted on: 2011/10/19 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
they wanted to use the alternate side to plow the streets, but everyone complained and it was ultimately cancelled, because there was nowhere for anyone to move their cars to.

Posted on: 2011/10/19 14:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/24 13:20
Group:
Registered Users
1. #OOPS# you for talking about snow.

2. Last winter - parking rules were not enforced from Christmas to the end of March. You would think they would use the alternate side time to plow out the ice rink on each side of the street but they don't.

Get rid of your car or put it in a garage.

Posted on: 2011/10/19 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Buy a decent snow shovel now if you plan to to park on the street. After the snow falls, all the stores sell out.

Generally, street cleaning is suspended between the time that the snow ploughs first go on the streets, until the snow piles on the roads melt.

If you don't like spending an hour or so digging out your car out from the snow, put your car into a parking lot. If you like digging out snow, you have 2 choices - dig it out early before the snow turns to ice, but the ploughs may use your vacant spot to create a snow pile. Or wait until the snow fall ends, but shovel packed ice against your car instead of light snow.

Oh and get your car winterized in Dec.

Primospot keeps expanding - it now covers Hoboken as well as NYC. Worth watching if it expands to JC.

http://primospot.com/spots/search?map_type=street&q=&title=

Posted on: 2011/10/19 8:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/25 15:35
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the quick replies. I don't have cable, so I'll be calling parking authority to check then.

Posted on: 2011/10/19 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
There are a number of other threads that have to do with parking rules. Not sure I agree with the previous poster that channel 1 is the 'only' way. The most efficient way to know the parking rules is to call the number and listen to the message. It will save you a lot of time compared to watching Channel 1.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 17:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Parking rules are only suspended when it's a significant amount of snow. The only way to be sure is to turn to Channel 1 on the day of the storm to find out if parking rules are suspended.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 17:08

street parking and snow

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/25 15:35
Group:
Registered Users
I started parking on the street two months ago and would like advice on parking through snow storms in the upcoming winter. I live near Van Vorst Park.

I'd imagine that street cleaning rules aren't in effect if there's snow, and of course I should avoid parking on emergency routes. Any one have good resources for info? Do you prefer to pay for a lot and avoid it all together?

I appreciate the help!

Posted on: 2011/10/18 17:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017