Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Another accident on Pavonia and Newark
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/23 16:19
Group:
Registered Users
The flaw with part of that plan is that no one would observe a no left turn sign. Look at Waldo for instance. There's a no left turn sign there, and cars constantly are turning left on it. I've even seen cars doing it in front of cops and nothing happening.

It also doesn't really address the other issue of the intersection of cars going down Pavonia and making a right onto Newark coming to that intersection craning their necks behind them and racing thru that stop sign rather then stopping and then looking up Newark. it'd still be a nightmare for pedestrians. I think you still need a light.

I LOVE the idea of making that section of Pavonia a One Way. that would reduce the traffic that occurs with the people turning .

Posted on: 2011/8/11 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
That's not a bad idea.

I once thought you could combine the "no left turn" sign for eastbound traffic on Pavonia with a "no turns" sign for westbound traffic on Newark. You could turn Pavonia east of Chestnut into a one-way (eastbound) and have all Pavonia-bound westbound traffic make the left onto Chestnut and then right on Pavonia. You'd signalize the Chestnut/Newark intersection (including a left-arrow phase) and probably have to coordinate signal timings with the Palisade/Newark intersection since they're so close together.

Point is, that kamikaze left-turn movement from Newark onto Pavonia is scary if you're a pedestrian who has to walk in front of it. Same is true for the intersection of Newark/Seventh down the hill.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 20:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Its a unique intersection. Cars/Vans going east on Pavonia have to yield to traffic from Newark Ave. There was a sign allowing cars on Pavonia to make a right on Newark only, but now the sign is gone, and vans/cars often try to make a U type turn onto Newark from Pavonia. I propose returning that no left on Newark sign, a stoplight for east bound traffic, and a left turn arrow for west bound traffic, with no stop light on the west bound side except for the left turn. The reason I say this is that many trucks travel that road, and forcing them to stop on such steep hill may cause other accidents. Trucks needing to turn onto Pavonia can continue to Chestnut, and safely get to it from there.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
There was a horrible death (just a few years back) of an elderly lady walking near pavonia on Newark Avenue -- buses trucks and cars race up and down that hill -- not sure a traffic light will help much since everyone just runs the one at Newark Ave and Brunswick -- but maybe redlight cameras and more traffic lights could work.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
It's going to take horrible death to get any real action...

Posted on: 2011/8/10 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
It's going to take horrible death to get any real action. I have seen more police stops than ever downtown in the last few months. Unfortunately there are so many bad/aggressive drivers on our streets that I really don't think there are enough cops. I was walking through the pedestrian walkway yesterday at the new Hamilton Pl (or whatever it's called) where there are cars and trucks parked all along either side. Suddenly an SUV came speeding through narrowly missing me. The driver then made the left onto Erie where he parked in front of the pharmacy and then entered the condos. I noticed from afar that he had a handicap, little flipper arms. When I got closer I saw a handicap tag and yet he was quite able to walk and also drive like an a**hole. I imagined the headlines "Jersey City Man Beats Handicapped Driver".

Posted on: 2011/8/9 14:05

Another accident on Pavonia and Newark
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/23 16:19
Group:
Registered Users
A 20yr old was coming down Newark on a bike when a car driving up newark turning onto Pavonia just hit the bicyclist and sped away. The bike actually swerved out of the way and the car still managed to hit him, throwing him directly into the stop sign knocking him momentarily unconscious. His bike was 40 feet up the street on the sidewalk. Luckily the police were here in minutes and took him to the hospital.

This intersection needs a light. There is an accident here more then once a month.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 3:36

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017