Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: ST. Peter's College Area: iPhones taken at gunpoint from seller with craigslist ad
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
heights wrote: Quote:
GrovePath wrote: Quote:
dmark526 wrote: ... You downtowners need to stop making it up as you go along.
This was the greatest, I'm laughing with truth in jest. I always remembered this song but never heard (or saw) it like this before. Every lyric belted out with DTJC in mind is funny but true, more so because I line in the Heights. Having Pet Clark do it with her familiar Brit beat gives it a flare like no other. I have to admit I'm never bored when I go to Downtown Jersey City.
It is even funnier in this context.... (from wiki) Tony Hatch recalls: "'Downtown' was written on the occasion of my first visit to New York. I was staying at a hotel on Central Park and I wandered down to Broadway and to Times Square and, naively, I thought I was downtown. Forgetting that in New York especially downtown is a lot further downtown getting on towards Battery Park. I loved the whole atmosphere there and the song came to me very, very quickly."

Posted on: 2010/10/19 12:04

Re: ST. Peter's College Area: iPhones taken at gunpoint from seller with craigslist ad
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
GrovePath wrote: Quote:
This was the greatest, I'm laughing with truth in jest. I always remembered this song but never heard (or saw) it like this before. Every lyric belted out with DTJC in mind is funny but true, more so because I line in the Heights. Having Pet Clark do it with her familiar Brit beat gives it a flare like no other. I have to admit I'm never bored when I go to Downtown Jersey City.

Posted on: 2010/10/19 8:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jsquared wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Sorry if you work for the college or something - but it doesn't change where this happened -- this is not the Island area -- so what would you call it?

Don't be sorry. I love my job. I just happen to know that no one from the college would be wandering around Wayne and Baldwin. There are absolutely no campus buildings East of Bergen, despite what the map might indicate. Also SPC is not a neighborhood, so I don't know why you would describe it as so. If a crime happened in Paulus Hook would you say "Saint Peter's Prep Area"? McGinley Square would be the most accurate neighborhood, I suppose.

OR . . . you could just leave the headline as is, instead of re-writing it. The professional journalists actually do a fine job.

Thank you jsquared....Grovepath, please stop naming neighborhoods that don't exist and PLEASE....Learn your JC geography!

Posted on: 2010/10/19 4:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jsquared wrote:
The professional journalists actually do a fine job.

I hope you don't teach!

Posted on: 2010/10/18 20:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Sorry if you work for the college or something - but it doesn't change where this happened -- this is not the Island area -- so what would you call it?

Don't be sorry. I love my job. I just happen to know that no one from the college would be wandering around Wayne and Baldwin. There are absolutely no campus buildings East of Bergen, despite what the map might indicate. Also SPC is not a neighborhood, so I don't know why you would describe it as so. If a crime happened in Paulus Hook would you say "Saint Peter's Prep Area"? McGinley Square would be the most accurate neighborhood, I suppose.

OR . . . you could just leave the headline as is, instead of re-writing it. The professional journalists actually do a fine job.

Posted on: 2010/10/18 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

[quote]
jsquared wrote:

This poster just loves to editorialize the Jersey Journal story titles...quote]

Posted on: 2010/10/18 20:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't consider Baldwin Ave. SPC area. It may look close on a map, but I doubt many students or staff ever walk down Baldwin (which can be a bit desolate at night) or even east of Bergen. There's just not much to lure one to that area, and it's not on the way to the square.

This poster just loves to editorialize the Jersey Journal story titles, often inaccurately, to indict particular neighborhoods or communities. The stories already have titles, but he likes to spice them up and sometimes pepper them with few inaccuracies. It's a really bizarre hobby, but hey . . .

Posted on: 2010/10/18 16:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 19:43
Group:
Registered Users
And technically, they weren't really stolen at gunpoint. He tried to drive off with the phones, and only pulled the gun when the victim tried to stop him.

... just sayin.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2010/10/15 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

spider wrote:
you can clearly see on that map that st peter's college is a few blocks away. the title says "area" too.

St Peters College is 6 blocks from Baldwin. St Peter's College isn't an "area" You downtowners need to stop making it up as you go along.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Nice try pushing your DTJC crime onto other parts of the city. That happened no where near SPC. Wayne and Baldwin is closer to Downtown in fact it has the downtown zip code of 07302. Maybe you can say it was a few blocks away from the SPC parking lot at McKinley Square but that is pushing it.

Know the zone!!

I'm sorry, but I don't think there are many people who consider the corner of Wayne and Baldwin "Downtown".

I know what the traditional borders were, but in 2010 I don't think many people consider anything west of 78 to be downtown.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 18:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/18 18:35
Group:
Registered Users
that's just dumb on the part of the seller. i've bought and sold a lot of stuff using craigslist and I always deal with someone when it's still daylight and where there's a lot of people.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:

and who would be selling one iPhone4?

Maybe this guy...
Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/10/15 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

spider wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
And who would be selling TWO iPhone 4's? Just didn't feel like using their new iPhone4's? Think I found my stolen phone......

he was selling one, but the thief took the one he was selling and his own iphone. read the article better.

and who would be selling one iPhone4?

Posted on: 2010/10/15 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
And who would be selling TWO iPhone 4's? Just didn't feel like using their new iPhone4's? Think I found my stolen phone......

he was selling one, but the thief took the one he was selling and his own iphone. read the article better.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
you can clearly see on that map that st peter's college is a few blocks away. the title says "area" too.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/10/15 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Nice try pushing your DTJC crime onto other parts of the city. That happened no where near SPC. Wayne and Baldwin is closer to Downtown in fact it has the downtown zip code of 07302. Maybe you can say it was a few blocks away from the SPC parking lot at McKinley Square but that is pushing it.

Know the zone!!

Posted on: 2010/10/15 13:06

ST. Peter's College Area: iPhones taken at gunpoint from seller with craigslist ad
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

View Larger Map Two iPhones snatched at gunpoint on Jersey City street, where seller agreed to meet "buyer" who answered ad on Internet Friday, October 15, 2010 By MARK MAURER JOURNAL STAFF WRITER A 23-year-old man from Winchendon, Mass., was robbed at gunpoint of two iPhones on Wednesday, according to Jersey City police reports. The victim told police he posted an ad on Craigslist to sell an iPhone 4 and arranged to meet a buyer on Wayne Street near Baldwin Avenue at around 9 p.m., reports said. When the two met, the supposed buyer - who identified himself as "Bob" - got out of a Mercedes Benz and the victim greeted him and showed him the $700 iPhone, reports said. "Bob" pointed out that the charger for the phone was missing and the victim walked to his car to retrieve a charger from another iPhone, reports said. The robber then asked to see both iPhones and when the victim handed them over, "Bob" took the phones and got back into his Mercedes to drive away, reports said. The victim held "Bob" by the neck to try and stop him from taking off, but when "Bob" pointed a handgun at the victim, the victim backed off, reports said. The victim gave the police the man's license plate number, which matched the Mercedes Benz registered to an East Orange man, reports said. The investigation is ongoing, police said.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 8:33

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017