Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Want to learn more about JC

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/18 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Born and raised in JC. I grew up in the Heights & the Island. and when i visit, both are pretty much what i remember as a child. In the Heights, I think Ogden Ave area and the Western Slope area are the best in the heights. Downtown is very nice, great improvements. When I was a kid, you were out of there before sundown.

Posted on: 2009/5/15 14:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Hrmph. I have lived downtown (Brunswick), and now I live sort of at the back of Journal Square in what they call the Hilltop or Island neighborhood.

Although I enjoyed some aspects of downtown, I am so happy with my move. I am much closer to the path (a few blocks from the rear entrance on Summit) and have so much more space for the dollar. (I live in a huge 1 bedroom w/ office/den, hardwood floors, etc. for $975 in a historic 6 unit building). The neighborhood has a relaxed family feel, which I appreciate. Definitely nothing fratastic going on.

Street parking is not a big deal. I rarely have trouble finding a spot within a four or five block radius.

I do miss some of the restaurants and bars downtown, as that is pretty lacking in the Journal Square area, but it is actually a surprisingly easy stroll or bike ride down the hill to M. Claude's or Whitestar. (It's just the coming back home that can be a gut buster.)

Posted on: 2009/5/3 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
While I love JC, I wouldn't call Hoboken a "frat house den". Seems like more and more young(ish) families to me. Weekends of course is another matter, but if you live on Willow or subsequent blocks, you really don't notice it.

You are able to find parking on Paulus Hook pretty easily as all of the new buildings provide parking. However you do run the risk of getting your windows smashed in....it happens from time to time

Posted on: 2009/5/2 1:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/1 23:15
Group:
Registered Users
Journal square is about a 10 to 15 min train ride to the city. My pick of all the areas mentioned from a price/quality balance standpoint. The area, imo, has the most near-term upside from a quality of life standpoint.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 23:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/6 2:06
Group:
Registered Users
I can't speak to your other questions, as I lived in downtown for a year, not Journal Square. However, I did work in Tribeca so I can answer about the commute.

I had a ~40 minute door to door commute which isn't so bad, would only be a few minutes more from Journal Square. The part I didn't like about it was I was constantly moving that entire time. Walk to train station - wait 2-3 minutes for train - 15 minute train ride - walking up all the stairs in WTC - 15 minute walk from WTC to office (Greenwich and Hubert). But a 40 minute door to door commute is hard to beat in the NYC area.

I also have experience commuting from JC out on 78 towards Morristown. Generally not too bad, as its the reverse commute, but can get ugly if there's an accident.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 17:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/2 13:12
Group:
Registered Users
Can someone give me some info on the Journal Square area? Crime? Rent (compared to other areas)? Commute to the city?

Posted on: 2009/5/1 15:48

For Brooklynboy

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/6 6:48
From LA
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Brooklynboy,

You wrote:

"Our friend just got a place on 7th and Coles. Total rehab. Brand new everything. Brick walls and all. She got it for $1300 but it includes heat, water and electricity. There is a common backyard area and close to Hamilton park."

That got my attention because in the late 1800s my ancestors lived at 119 and 121 Coles (I have a photo of my great-grandmother as a child outside 119. And my great-great grandfather (a Civil War vet) ran a general store right across the intersection at 293 7th.

All of these buildings are still there, according to Google Street View.

I wouldn't mind some better pix of those addresses if you can help out. You can put me in contact with your friends if you wish.

(I also sent you a PM with contact info)

Posted on: 2009/3/27 6:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

1djcview wrote:
The vibe in Jersey City, even downtown, is very different from Hoboken. Come hang out some Saturday. There are a number of cafes (Starbuck's, if you're into that; Beechwood on Grove; Made with Love, which is actually an organic bakery and very cool, on Jersey Avenue).

Walk around the parks (Hamilton Park, Van Vorst) and along the length of Newark Ave. and Grove Street/Manila (same street, different name, depending on which section you're on).

There are lots of different "scenes", depending on your activities and politics. It's pretty easy to meet people here.

I live uptown now, in McGinley Square, a few blocks south of Journal Square. That's another thing, Jersey City is MUCH BIGGER than Hoboken and has a million little neighborhoods with their own vibe, food, shops, etc.

It's kind of excellent.

lol @ mcginley square = uptown... you realize we share a border with union city to the north, right?

Yeah, of course, I do. I'm using "uptown" to denote elevation rather than N-S-E-W orientation, like "downtown" does. The way I see it, the Heights is the elevated portion of town north of Journal Square, Journal Square is Journal Square and everything south of that could be called "uptown", as I choose to do. I'm so used to saying it.

Quote:

regulator wrote:
http://www.destinationjerseycity.com/maps.php

anyway, my quick rundown on a couple of the hoods:

downtown area: nicest and most expensive. convenient to both morristown (close to i78) as well as the path trains. has alot of smaller neighborhoods within the 'downtown' umbrella.. expect to pay more the closer you get to the waterfront (on any of the sides).

heights: (where i live now) the areas nearest to JFK blvd are the best IMO.. very easy commute to NYC via bus, very close to JSQ (depending on what area youre looking into), relatively safe (again depending on the individual area), and also convenient to all the major highways nearby (turnpike, route 3, route 1-9, etc). also rents are considerably cheaper than downtown. alot of older houses, but also alot of new complete renovations at good deals. youre even close to a light rail station depending on what area of the heights youre in. id start looking here as well as downtown if i were you.

journal square: there are a couple of new and interesting buildings, as well as some older ones at good rates. alot more hustle and bustle especially near bergen and JFK.

west side - alot of nice properties near lincoln park, and very very cheap. however they're cheap because the surrounding areas have not yet fully reached their potential. streets near the park tend to be unsafe at night, and even though ive lived here all my life i wouldnt buy property near there just yet.

greenville - ill pass comment on this, but i wouldnt live there. doesnt serve my purposes

mcginley square - this area is for the most part decent, but i dont travel through here too often. alot of good deals to be had, but id rather look in the heights at similar prices.

I'll add that there are "alot of smaller neighborhoods" within the 'uptown' umbrella too, as well as Greenville and really all over JC. You could say the same thing about the Heights. McGinley Square is in *POP* mode and I am of the opinion that Bergen Hill down to Junction is not far behind. The streets are mostly cleaned up and those old homes are just gorgeous.

The OP sounds like a downtown type though. Wherever you decide to live though, once you get settled, start trekking!

Posted on: 2009/3/27 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

1djcview wrote:
The vibe in Jersey City, even downtown, is very different from Hoboken. Come hang out some Saturday. There are a number of cafes (Starbuck's, if you're into that; Beechwood on Grove; Made with Love, which is actually an organic bakery and very cool, on Jersey Avenue).

Walk around the parks (Hamilton Park, Van Vorst) and along the length of Newark Ave. and Grove Street/Manila (same street, different name, depending on which section you're on).

There are lots of different "scenes", depending on your activities and politics. It's pretty easy to meet people here.

I live uptown now, in McGinley Square, a few blocks south of Journal Square. That's another thing, Jersey City is MUCH BIGGER than Hoboken and has a million little neighborhoods with their own vibe, food, shops, etc.

It's kind of excellent.

lol @ mcginley square = uptown... you realize we share a border with union city to the north, right?

http://www.destinationjerseycity.com/maps.php

anyway, my quick rundown on a couple of the hoods:

downtown area: nicest and most expensive. convenient to both morristown (close to i78) as well as the path trains. has alot of smaller neighborhoods within the 'downtown' umbrella.. expect to pay more the closer you get to the waterfront (on any of the sides).

heights: (where i live now) the areas nearest to JFK blvd are the best IMO.. very easy commute to NYC via bus, very close to JSQ (depending on what area youre looking into), relatively safe (again depending on the individual area), and also convenient to all the major highways nearby (turnpike, route 3, route 1-9, etc). also rents are considerably cheaper than downtown. alot of older houses, but also alot of new complete renovations at good deals. youre even close to a light rail station depending on what area of the heights youre in. id start looking here as well as downtown if i were you.

journal square: there are a couple of new and interesting buildings, as well as some older ones at good rates. alot more hustle and bustle especially near bergen and JFK.

west side - alot of nice properties near lincoln park, and very very cheap. however they're cheap because the surrounding areas have not yet fully reached their potential. streets near the park tend to be unsafe at night, and even though ive lived here all my life i wouldnt buy property near there just yet.

greenville - ill pass comment on this, but i wouldnt live there. doesnt serve my purposes

mcginley square - this area is for the most part decent, but i dont travel through here too often. alot of good deals to be had, but id rather look in the heights at similar prices.

Posted on: 2009/3/27 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Have you tried the Heights section yet ? It's on the North end of Jersey City, the further north and west you go in the Heights the better it gets. The area west of Pershing Field Park is nice it is also right next to the Reservoir. The Heights has a family feel to it more locals here and a few old timers. The Everything Festival will be held on Central Ave. Saturday May 16th a street fair with food, flare, and music. As someone stated in a previous response try "hanging out" in certain areas to get an idea. The Basic coffee shop on 8th & Erie in the Downtown area is a nice earthy comfortable place and if you go there on the weekends you will get a feel of the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2009/3/27 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
I moved here with my partner about 1 1/2 ago. We came from Brooklyn. We found a great place for $1200. Total rehab in the building. Our friend just got a place on 7th and Coles. Total rehab. Brand new everything. Brick walls and all. She got it for $1300 but it includes heat, water and electricity. There is a common backyard area and close to Hamilton park. No fee either.

I work in Manhattan and it is a 35 minute commute. That includes Path and subway. Not bad kids.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users

It's kind of excellent.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 19:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info. I'm just looking for an area that has much more of a neighborhood feel then the Frat house den that is Hoboken.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Funny, I just gave some JC-housing advice to a friend's friend who is also considering moving to JC from Manhattan.

1. Which are the safest, most sought after areas?

Can't really say what the "safest" areas are, but based on #3, it sounds like you'll like the Paulus Hook, Van Vorst, Harsimus Cove and Hamilton Park areas of downtown JC.

2. How is parking?

Some folks would rather pay for parking, which starts at about $160/mo at one of those public parking lots, to avoid the headache of looking for spots and having to move their car 3-5 times a week, but I have been parking my car on the street in the VVP area for several years now. Some blocks are harder to park on than others, especially if there is a church, bar or restaurant nearby. Another issue for residents is theft and break-ins, which tend to happen more frequently during the warmer months in many parts of town.

3. If we were hoping to get a 1 BR in a brownstone/non-high-rise building, preferably with some outdoor space, hardwood floors, what kind of rent would we be looking at?

Generally, the closer you are to the waterfront (Exchange Place, Newport, Harsimus Cove) and to the PATH stations (Newport/Pavonia, Exchange Place, Grove Street and Journal Square) the higher the rents. I suggest you look at listings on CL and here to get an idea of rents. Also, don't rule out brokers because there seems to be more no-fee and half-fee apt listings these days due to the slow rental market.

4. What is the Restaurant/Bar scene like?

We definitely have enough bars and restaurants throughout JC that you can eat and drink out every night of the week if you so desire. There's a pretty good variety also, so we can't a singular "scene" per se. You can definitely eat or drink at any price point and with different crowds in any given week.

Good luck with your search and an early "welcome" to the hood!

Quote:

Hrmph wrote:
Hi All,

New to the site. My gf and I are planning on getting an apartment together when my lease is up this June. I work in Tribeca, she works in Morristown, so we initially were leaning toward Hoboken (begrudgingly) for commuting purposes. However, I have been reading about Jersey City recently and was hoping to learn more. Just a few general questions. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. How is parking?

3. If we were hoping to get a 1 BR in a brownstone/non-high-rise building, preferably with some outdoor space, hardwood floors, what kind of rent would we be looking at?

Posted on: 2009/3/26 17:20

Want to learn more about JC
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi All,

New to the site. My gf and I are planning on getting an apartment together when my lease is up this June. I work in Tribeca, she works in Morristown, so we initially were leaning toward Hoboken (begrudgingly) for commuting purposes. However, I have been reading about Jersey City recently and was hoping to learn more. Just a few general questions. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. How is parking?

Posted on: 2009/3/26 16:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017