Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 52

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Manzo on Crime
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
I want to respond to my critics. Crime out of hand in Jersey City. I did a show last year, when the public invited Police Chief Comey to speak at the NAACP. The residents were upset with crime. I commented if crime was down, why don't you walk by yourself at night, especially Ward F. My critics did not respond to that, they bring up Manzo. So enjoy an old show. Yvonne

Posted on: 2009/3/18 23:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/12 9:14
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FrGuidoSarducci wrote:
Yvonne, you are a Manzo lackey. You have no credibility.

I will not defend either Manzo or Healy(IMO the 2 likely frontrunners in the upcoming election) in this post but I do think your comment regarding Yvonne is ridiculous.She has posted valuable information to the readers of this board time and time again.Yvonnes' comments are intelligent and comprehensive.If the truth be told many of us here,myself included, could not hope to possess the knowledge she does about the intricacies of the workings of our city government especially the tax structure.

Do you have a positive comment for anyone?

For you to reduce her postings to a simple two sentence negative comment shows the vast gap between her analysis of issues and yours.

Yvonne has been involved in the downtown community for many years and she deserves much credit for her watchdog mentality and bringing issues of public concern to the forefront.

I believe your comments regarding her are unfair and without merit.

Posted on: 2009/3/18 3:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/30 1:35
Group:
Banned
Quote:

FrGuidoSarducci wrote:

As compared to whom, exactly? The countless anonymous political sockpuppets and armchair activists flocking to this website as May draws near?

Yvonne has the balls to post under her name and air her opinions publicly, which is more than can be said for a lot of people on here. JCList is a glass house of credibility surrounded by a rock garden.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 1:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/3/15 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For those individuals who believe crime is down, I suggest you walk at night in Jersey City especially Ward F.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2009/3/14 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And I guess you don't trust my videotape?
Yvonne

Posted on: 2009/3/9 16:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/31 0:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Thanks for your comments. It will be interesting to read the Jersey City Reporter. Ricardo was present.

Ricardo?

You're right. it sure will be interesting.

That guy has a history of manipulating stories and not getting things right.

I don't trust a thing he writes.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

J_Downtown wrote:
Quote:

npcityjc wrote:

If King Healy says that crime is down in JC, than it must be true. Why would Healy lie? The only thing that he stands to lose is the election and everything that goes along with it.
As Councilman Fulop has already stated "in my experiences with Jerry Healy he has never kept his word about anything,?

Well if you want to quote Fulop you can check out his reaction to last month's State of the City address. Sounds like even he isn't denying the administration's achievements over the past few years.

?I think he did a real nice job,? Fulop said. ?I think he has a lot to be proud of, and he highlighted a lot of the positive things that are happening in the city.?

And then if you dig into the crime stats on njjcpd.com you see a pretty positive picture when comparing 2008 over 2005 or even just looking at some of the year over year drops.

While it may be technically possible to manipulate those stats I don't think the PR or legal trouble that would cause when found out would ever be worth it. Plus if they were actually being manipulated I think you would hear a lot of credible allegations about it, not just whispers on a message board.

I believe this quote is Fulop's reaction to the mayor's speech. It is not an assessment of Healy's tenure. Anyway, I will be voting for Dan Levin.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Healy and Mazo remind me too much of Blagoevich and Burris. It's time for new blood/new leadership in JC.

Do you ever get the feeling that you're living in one of the most corrupt cities in the country?

Posted on: 2009/3/9 0:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/8 1:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

npcityjc wrote:

If King Healy says that crime is down in JC, than it must be true. Why would Healy lie? The only thing that he stands to lose is the election and everything that goes along with it.
As Councilman Fulop has already stated "in my experiences with Jerry Healy he has never kept his word about anything,?

Well if you want to quote Fulop you can check out his reaction to last month's State of the City address. Sounds like even he isn't denying the administration's achievements over the past few years.

?I think he did a real nice job,? Fulop said. ?I think he has a lot to be proud of, and he highlighted a lot of the positive things that are happening in the city.?

And then if you dig into the crime stats on njjcpd.com you see a pretty positive picture when comparing 2008 over 2005 or even just looking at some of the year over year drops.

While it may be technically possible to manipulate those stats I don't think the PR or legal trouble that would cause when found out would ever be worth it. Plus if they were actually being manipulated I think you would hear a lot of credible allegations about it, not just whispers on a message board.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Below is Jersey City Reporter's article, written by Ricardo Kaulessar, there is no mention of hissing and booing and Ricardo states Manzo received the most applause.
Yvonne

People were holding up their brooms and even shovels, looking for a ?clean sweep? of crime in their neighborhoods as they listened to speakers at the Public Safety Rally on Tuesday at Christ the King Church in Jersey City.

About 500 people including community activists, loved ones of shooting victims, and mayoral candidates offered perspectives on combating crime in Jersey City.

The rally was organized by a recently formed coalition of neighborhood associations and civic groups known as the Combined CityWide Block Association.

The frustration was evident as the speakers talked about rising crime statistics over the past year, including murders and shootings, with some far above the national average.

27 murders last year

Raquel Sharper of the Communipaw Avenue Block Association angrily read off the number of murders from last year in Hudson County (36), highlighting 27 that happened in Jersey City alone.

Rev. Robert Allen, a longtime Jersey City resident, lashed out at what he said was an ineffectual police presence. He stood with his 16-year old daughter Olivea, who was shot in the face on Feb. 10 while walking on Communipaw Avenue. Her shooter has still not been found.

Mayoral candidate Louis Manzo said the police statistics were ?manipulated? by Mayor Jerramiah Healy?s administration to show drops in crime, and called for better policing.

?Mr. Manzo, I don?t lie.? ? Mayor Jerramiah Healy
________

?The only satisfaction any leader of this city should have is not a statistic, but coming to a group here, and saying, ?How safe do you feel?? ? Manzo said.

Healy was on the defensive at rally, citing the positive work of the Jersey City Police Department. However, as he did so, some in the crowd voiced their disapproval. Healy engaged in a back-and-forth with Manzo, saying ?Mr. Manzo, I don?t lie? and ?I?ll put my word against yours.?

Fighting crime at election time

Tuesday?s rally was not advertised as a mayoral candidates? forum/debate, but it might as well have been, as five contenders in the May 12 municipal election spoke about public safety.

Good government advocate and businessman Dan Levin called for the public to improve safety in the streets by electing a new mayor who will bring about such improvements.

Phil Webb, a former Jersey City police officer, said he would look, as mayor, to implement more programs for youths, and echoed Levin?s call for a new administration.

State Assemblyman L. Harvey Smith mentioned state legislation he is working on to help disadvantaged women and former felons to get jobs, and promised if he was elected to concentrate police in areas with the highest crime.

But the loudest applause came for Louis Manzo, who attacked Healy for the rise in crime during his time in office.

Criticizing the criticism

However, Manzo?s comments on crime stats were criticized by Police Chief Thomas Comey, also at the meeting, and by Healy.

Healy took issue with Manzo, citing some positive statistics such as an 8 percent drop in violent crime from 2007 to 2008, and a 24 percent drop in violent crime since he came into office over four years ago.

Healy also promised a 15 percent increase in the police patrolling the streets at peak times, starting within the next week. He was subjected to series of questions on policing later in the rally.

When asked about bringing the State Police and the National Guard to help the Jersey City police, he said the National Guard was not for policing, but for other types of emergencies.

He said he is open to State Police and implanting Operation Ceasefire, a program concentrating on youth gun violence and community-based policing.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 18:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/25 13:49
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

J_Downtown wrote:
"When asked his plan for improving crime prevention, he [Manzo] said: "I will stop manipulating crime statistics, because we are only fooling ourselves."

I was looking at the crime statistics supplied by the JCPD on there website and I get the impression the statistics are being manipulated. Crime in January of 09 compared to crime in January of 08 shows a decrease in every category except murder and rape which has went up since last year. Me and many of the people I have spoken to are under the impression crime seems to be going up especially robbery and burglary. The stats say something different though.

http://njjcpd.org/

My question is what do other JClisters think? Do you think the numbers are being manipulated or do you think people are just getting a false impression? Since the recession has started even in the suburbs robbery and burglary seems to have went up. Why would it go down during a recession in the second largest city in the state that has a good sized criminal population?

Coupled with Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy's conviction for resisting arrest and obstruction of administrative law during a tussle with cops in Bradley Beach in 2006, Fulop said these incidents would lead investors to "question the leadership" of Jersey City.
"It is very humiliating," he said.

Just look at Healy's response to taxes from his last political mailer "Municiapal tax rate Stable For Two Years In A Row"
Mr. Mayor, you left out the other two years and the 30%+ tax hike that we've been walloped with since you took office.

Crime down, stable taxes, new jobs, paved streets. Is there another Jersey City in NJ that I'm not aware of?

"Believe your own eyes"

Posted on: 2009/3/8 0:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

J_Downtown wrote:
We can't tell if the paper is correct because you didn't put the relevant portion of the rally on Youtube. From what I can see on the online edition it sounds like the relevant portion was during an audience Q&A, see the below quote:

"When asked his plan for improving crime prevention, he [Manzo] said: "I will stop manipulating crime statistics, because we are only fooling ourselves."

Manzo was met by boos and hisses from the audience and a retort from Healy, who turned to the candidate and said: "Mr. Manzo, I don't lie." "

Do you have the audience Q&A available to post on Youtube? It would be interesting to see.

"I don't lie"
"I didn't fight with the Bradley Beach cops"
"I'm innocent"
"I wasn't drunk, I was having a diabetic reaction"
"Crime is down"
"Taxes are stable"
"I don't read e-mail"
"There was no nepotism in hiring my cousin"

Please Mayor Healy spare us the B/S!

Posted on: 2009/3/7 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My camera did not pick up hisses and boos. I am not saying it didn't happened but it wasn't the majority of the crowd. I was shooting near the front of the church. My audio meter indicated Mr. Manzo received the highest applause.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2009/3/7 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
so then just like skewed crime statistics healy brings his own audience to boo and hiss any opposition...how can you trust this guy....

Posted on: 2009/3/7 2:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

J_Downtown wrote:
We can't tell if the paper is correct because you didn't put the relevant portion of the rally on Youtube. From what I can see on the online edition it sounds like the relevant portion was during an audience Q&A, see the below quote:

Manzo was met by boos and hisses from the audience and a retort from Healy, who turned to the candidate and said: "Mr. Manzo, I don't lie." "

Do you have the audience Q&A available to post on Youtube? It would be interesting to see.

Candidates' politics of crime stats stirs public
Wednesday, March 04, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
About 300 people crowded into Christ the King Catholic Church last night to protest Jersey City's crime rate and hear what mayoral candidates plan to do about it.

For the most part, the candidates - Phillip Webb, Daniel Levin, Assemblyman L. Harvey Smith, former Assemblyman Louis Manzo and Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy - touted similar ideas for crime prevention: more cops walking the beat, better cooperation between cops and the community, and the need to bring more jobs, youth recreation programs and drug rehabilitation programs to Jersey City.

The speakers were all enthusiastically applauded after their five-minute presentations.

The one area of disagreement was statistics, with rally organizers citing statistics showing that crime has gone up and Healy using other statistics to show it has gone down.

"There was not a drop," said Raquel Sharper, of the Communipaw Avenue Block Association, which organized the rally with the Central Avenue Special Improvement District.

Sharper pointed to such statistics as a 33 percent increase in gun-related crime between 2007 and 2008, and a 24 percent increase in burglaries during the same period.

Healy countered that between 2006 and 2007, violent crime overall dropped 13 percent, and dropped 8 percent between 2007 and 2008.

Manzo used the discrepancy to go on the attack. When asked his plan for improving crime prevention, he said: "I will stop manipulating crime statistics, because we are only fooling ourselves."

Manzo was met by boos and hisses from the audience and a retort from Healy, who turned to the candidate and said: "Mr. Manzo, I don't lie."

After the speeches, rally attendee Aleah Gathings got the mayor to promise that he would fully implement, "ASAP," the "Operation CeaseFire" model, a statewide anti-violence program that emphasizes cooperation among law enforcement agencies, community outreach, and crime prevention through initiatives such as job training.

He also said his State of the City promise to increase police on the street by 15 percent between 3 p.m. and midnight would begin within days.

Afterwards, rally attendees said they were impressed by all of the candidates, but no one in particular stood out.

"They were all very good, and they all came from similar perspectives," said Kathleen Washington, a 61-year-old Bergen-Lafayette resident who works in marketing and communications.

"It was even," agreed Norman Williams, a 45-year-old author who also lives in Bergen-Lafayette. "The mayor said we have programs and the candidates said we need more, so they kind of met in the middle."

Other news accounts report that the audience in addition to the residents the audience was augmented by numerous city employees. This might explain the reports of boos and hisses. Healy has historically brought his own portable audience with him to applaud him and to boo and hiss at who ever his opposition might be.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 23:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/12 9:14
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne,

Yes you are right it will be interesting to read followup articles.

It is also interesting IMO that the Jersey Journal reporter who wrote this article on the rally entitled "Candidates:Politics of crime stats stirs public" dated March 4,2009 is also the same author of the Jersey Journal article dated February 2,2009 "Property tax bills not as bad as you think".

A few days later on February 6,2009 there appeared in the Jersey Journal a editorial titled "Don't expect load will lighten later".The editorial quoted the article of February 2,2009 and asked Really?.The editorial finished with "Yes,the tax bills are as bad as you think.To me this refutes the previous headline.

Yes I agree it will be interesting to read the continuing coverage of what transpired at the rally as well as events to come.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 5:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for your comments. It will be interesting to read the Jersey City Reporter. Ricardo was present.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2009/3/5 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
Yvonne as always thank you for being proactive and giving people information.
THe JErsey Journal usually writes what is convenient to them. There were no hisses or boos for Manzo. The crowd was not a disorganized bunch of hoodlums like some might think of our area. It is a shame that people from other areas in Jersey CIty feel it is "too dangerous" to come to meetings like this. Everything affects everyone in Jersey City no matter where you live. There is a trickle down effect or domino effect of events that affect everyone and if people really were proactive and not just typing at a computer there would really be changes in JErsey CIty. I hope this inspires those who have never attended community meetings and city hall meetings to attend and let your voice be heard. thanks Yvonne!!!

Posted on: 2009/3/5 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Q and A was reserved for Mayor Healy not for the other candidates.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2009/3/5 15:28

Re: Statistics & Manzo on Crime
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
No Doubt statistics are being manipulated..it's easy enough to do. Some of it also has to do how you put the statistics in a report and present. I see this all the time as I work with folks that provide statistics and metrics, which are then sent to people to put into a report that needs to be presented. It would be no difference with the crime statistics. In addition what about the information not reported on, that would also manipulate the numbers too. If they really want to know how safe people are feeling then they should go directly... to the people...Obviously the really showed people do not feel safe.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

J_Downtown wrote:

I was looking at the crime statistics supplied by the JCPD on there website and I get the impression the statistics are being manipulated. Crime in January of 09 compared to crime in January of 08 shows a decrease in every category except murder and rape which has went up since last year. Me and many of the people I have spoken to are under the impression crime seems to be going up especially robbery and burglary. The stats say something different though.

http://njjcpd.org/

My question is what do other JClisters think? Do you think the numbers are being manipulated or do you think people are just getting a false impression? Since the recession has started even in the suburbs robbery and burglary seems to have went up. Why would it go down during a recession in the second largest city in the state that has a good sized criminal population?

Posted on: 2009/3/5 6:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/8 1:15
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/3/5 6:03

Manzo on Crime
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey Journal said Manzo was met with hisses and booes. So I put Manzo comments on youtube. Was the paper correct? Yvonne

Posted on: 2009/3/5 3:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017