Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
67 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Dan Levin tosses hat in Jersey City mayoral ring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

npcityjc wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Like I have stated in another thread, this election affords us the opportunity to bring change to city hall with one swift blow at the ballot box. The machine in Hudson County and Jersey City is firmly entrenched and has many tentacles but all we have to do is cut off the head. One flick of the lever and things will start to change quickly and dramatically in Jersey City. It will never be easy but it has to start somewhere. I urge you to support Dan Levin. Shake It Up! Yes We Can. Levin 09'.

As much as I would like to vote for new blood in JC, I really don't think that Mr. Levin can "cut off the head" of the Hudson County Machine for this particular election. He is known in Ward E but needs the support of the other Wards to win. Healy has over 1 + Million in his political war chest. After watching JC politics for over 30 years, I can tell you that money and machine alliances wins elections in this City. Well known candidates like Councilman Fulop and former Mayor Schundler even dropped out after crunching the numbers.

In my humble opinion, voting for Mr. Levin at this juncture, would be like voting for Ralph Nader and allowing Healy's Machine to enjoy 4 more years at our cost. I believe that Mr. Levin has what it takes, but I also think that it will be another 4 years before we see it.

Do you believe that the voting machines are rigged? Yes, unseating the machine politicians will be difficult but it has to start somewhere. We are not talking about a council seat, we are talking about Mayor. We are getting the chance to bypass the usual slow, difficult steps to the top. Why do you think Dan Levin has to do this? It is because he is not part of the "old boys" network. He is not involved in their patronage and he is a threat to their "pay to play" way of life. Last year one of my neighbors collected signatures for a local politician, his reward? A job in the JCFD (Not a Fireman). It is time for some Progression in this city. It is time to bring Jersey City into the 21st. century. It is time for people who will work toward the betterment of this city, not toward lining their pockets.
A Defeatist attitude is not what we need now. As we saw with Obama voters can make History and change the course of History. Shake It Up. Levin 09'.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Levin volunteers were looking for signatures this weekend in order to get him on the ballot. If you want to support him, you may want to help make sure you get him on the ballot first.

Only about 1,400 signatures are needed. This being Jersey City and all, they are trying to collect 2,000, just to be safe. March 19th is the deadline.

And, no, this cannot be done online. This is Jersey City, remember?

Check out onejerseycity.org if interested.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 18:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/25 13:49
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Like I have stated in another thread, this election affords us the opportunity to bring change to city hall with one swift blow at the ballot box. The machine in Hudson County and Jersey City is firmly entrenched and has many tentacles but all we have to do is cut off the head. One flick of the lever and things will start to change quickly and dramatically in Jersey City. It will never be easy but it has to start somewhere. I urge you to support Dan Levin. Shake It Up! Yes We Can. Levin 09'.

As much as I would like to vote for new blood in JC, I really don't think that Mr. Levin can "cut off the head" of the Hudson County Machine for this particular election. He is known in Ward E but needs the support of the other Wards to win. Healy has over 1 + Million in his political war chest. After watching JC politics for over 30 years, I can tell you that money and machine alliances wins elections in this City. Well known candidates like Councilman Fulop and former Mayor Schundler even dropped out after crunching the numbers.

In my humble opinion, voting for Mr. Levin at this juncture, would be like voting for Ralph Nader and allowing Healy's Machine to enjoy 4 more years at our cost. I believe that Mr. Levin has what it takes, but I also think that it will be another 4 years before we see it.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 17:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/5 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
ALL POLITICS ARE LOCAL!!!!!

LEVIN FOR MAYOR

Posted on: 2009/3/6 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/3/6 6:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Glad to report that, no, Dan Levin has no relatives in Jersey City (or Hudson County) government, nor does he intend to hire any family members for gov't jobs, once elected. Imagine that -- somebody who simply aspires to serve the public, not dole out patronage. How radical. How hopeful...

Posted on: 2008/12/4 21:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/24 1:25
Group:
Registered Users
Is Dan Levin related to David Levin who works in Jersey City government ?

Posted on: 2008/12/4 21:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/29 16:00
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Dan Levin is a good person with alot of integrity. He gives alot of himself to the city and is getting people involved in the process who might not be otherwise... though

I do wish he would run for council at large...Fulop and Levin need to have a sit down and work out there differences. Lets work together to end buisness as usual.

I think Dan's doing a great job doing exactly what he's doing -- running for Mayor with integrity. He's not for sale.

All the best.

Geoff

Posted on: 2008/12/4 20:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dan Levin is a good person with alot of integrity. He gives alot of himself to the city and is getting people involved in the process who might not be otherwise... though
I do wish he would run for council at large...Fulop and Levin need to have a sit down and work out there differences. Lets work together to end buisness as usual.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Dan doesn't stand a chance.
Lets not forget JC is not all about the DT area and
he's a virtual un-known around town.

The other better known candidates are going to eat him alive.....

Posted on: 2008/12/4 16:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/16 21:05
Group:
Registered Users
Campaign Kick-Off Party at the Lex Leonard Gallery The Lex Leonard gallery was an appropriate hosting-place for a fundraiser and gathering on behalf of Dan Levin?s nascent mayoral campaign. Like Lex Leonard, Dan Levin has been involved in community affairs and advocacy work for years. They?re both Downtown fixtures, and they?ve both proven their resilience by taking their lumps in public forums and coming back swinging. They?ve both often been underestimated, too. While they?ve got no problem trafficking with the local establishment when they need to, they?re reformers at heart, and they?re both driven to make Jersey City a better and more interesting place. In his speech at the Gallery, Levin asked an enthusiastic crowd to judge him on his accomplishments: the local entrepreneur and long-time community organizer and activist had more to do with the recent passage of the Pay To Play Initiative than anybody else in town. Many of Levin?s (mostly) young supporters still carry the glow of exuberance from Barack Obama?s win, and are now looking to bring the ?change? theme home to 280 Grove Street. The campaign team didn?t dodge the association ? more than one speaker at the Gallery touted Levin?s independent thinking and reform credentials. Musical entertainment was provided by New Beetle Reunion: local rocker Otis Ball?s tribute to Sgt. Pepper and the Fab Four. Ball, too, has been a Jersey City resident for many years; like Dan Levin?s, it?s a safe bet we?ll be hearing more of Ball?s voice in the months to come (New Beetle Revue plays at the Cutting Room on January 14th). - TMC
11/22/08 : Campaign Kick-Off Party at the Lex Leonard Gallery from One Jersey City on Vimeo.

Posted on: 2008/12/3 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
SpeakNJ interviews Dan Levin, candidate for mayor in Jersey City. The show airs Monday, 10:30 PM and Tuesdays, 9:00 PM on Channel 51 for September.
Yvonne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p30LrQ1XDrM

Posted on: 2008/9/7 21:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dan Levin running is not part of masterplan by Steve Fulop. Levin will garner support from Fulop supporters and those who may not vote. Though Dan and Steve have worked together in the past this is not the case now. Dan has done a fine job running Civic JC but I feel he is a little rough around the edges and may not have the right personality to get people to work together. Fulop has been an outstanding councilperson who has turned a part time job into full time advocacy for the people of Jersey City.He is very ambitious but is that a crime?
I believe Fulop is waiting to see who declares their running before announcing. We the people of Jersey City would be well served with him as mayor.

Ward E was traditionally a Hispanic ward until Fulop was elected. Skinner deserves our support and we should not take her election as scouncilperson for granted. I have had the pleasure of working with her in the past and found her intelligent,fair and even tempered. Her work as a childrens / school advocate touches upon improved schools,lead in the water, community policing, pay to play,double dipping and so much more.

Posted on: 2008/9/6 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Has Fulop even annnounced officially yet? Isn't that why Skinner got in the race? I'm not so sure about his citywide strength. What if he decides to run for Ward E again - should Skinner drop out?

My theory is that this has all been cleverly worked out by Fulop and the gang.

1. They probably reason Fulop can't win a race for mayor this time round.

2. DanL to run for mayor as a placeholder candidate to keep the reform slate ticking over, and guage citywide support.

3. Fulop to use his name recognition and support base to run for an at-large seat.

4. Skinner to take the safe Ward-E seat.

Steadily building a reform movement ready for a serious mayoral push next time around?

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/9/5 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Ross_Ewage wrote:
Quote:

KNOWITALL wrote:
Dan may be a good guy but he has no chance of winning or even being competitive... in the mayoral race or any council seat ..Ward E or At Large. I call on you Dan to reconsider your plan to run. Support Fulop for mayor and Skinner for council. They need you support Dan!!!

Has Fulop even annnounced officially yet? Isn't that why Skinner got in the race? I'm not so sure about his citywide strength. What if he decides to run for Ward E again - should Skinner drop out?

As for Dan, he's lived in JC longer than Fulop and has been a community activist for years. Don't know about Skinner - how long has she lived here? Also, she's a one issue candidate. Not that education isn't important, but it's a minor part of the city council's portfolio. Dan could probably be competitive in Ward E. I agree, his chances citywide are slim.

Maybe Fulop should get on Dan's boat.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 21:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

KNOWITALL wrote:
Dan may be a good guy but he has no chance of winning or even being competitive... in the mayoral race or any council seat ..Ward E or At Large. I call on you Dan to reconsider your plan to run. Support Fulop for mayor and Skinner for council. They need you support Dan!!!

As for Dan, he's lived in JC longer than Fulop and has been a community activist for years. Don't know about Skinner - how long has she lived here? Also, she's a one issue candidate. Not that education isn't important, but it's a minor part of the city council's portfolio. Dan could probably be competitive in Ward E. I agree, his chances citywide are slim.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 21:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/8/22 13:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dan,

It's not to late to pick your hat up and go back to being a community activist!

Do you want Healy re-elected ?

Posted on: 2008/8/19 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, this caught me by surprise. Dan has always been 100% involved in his community and IMO the true driving force behind the referendums that may go on the November Ballot. I wish he would've run for a council seat (IMO) a bit easier for him to achieve. Either way, he is a nice person, works hard for his community and I only wish good things for him.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 23:05

Dan Levin tosses hat in Jersey City mayoral ring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Downtown resident tosses hat in Jersey City mayoral ring
by Paul Koepp
Monday August 18, 2008, 11:48 AM

The field of candidates for mayor of Jersey City grew by one this morning, as Daniel Levin, founder of reform group Civic JC, announced he is running for the city's top elected office.

The 12-year Downtown Jersey City resident hopes to field a full slate of nine council candidates with a shared goal of more transparent city government.

May's race will be the first time Levin has run for public office.

In a phone interview, Levin said that while citizen participation at city meetings is valuable, real change has to come at the polls.

"Without a challenge at the ballot box, the status quo just remains and there's nothing to push change through," he said.

As head of Civic JC, Levin worked with Councilman Steve Fulop, another possible mayoral candidate, to develop a pay-to-play ordinance that could go to a referendum this November.

Levin said it is too early to name the half-dozen people he has in mind to run on his reform slate.

Levin also lists being a founding director of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy and past president of the Harsimus Cove Association, a Downtown neighborhood association, among his credits.

So far, incumbent Mayor Jerramiah Healy and former Mayor Bret Schundler have said they intend to run.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... esident_tosses_hat_i.html

Posted on: 2008/8/18 18:13

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017