Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
58 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 58

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: I need some serious advice regarding my rental situation

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/25 21:02
From The Friggin' Heights Baby!
Group:
Registered Users
UPDATE:

My neighbor gave me a copy of a violations summons from the Housing Inspection Bureau two months ago. My landlord still has not done anything at this point. Meanwhile, we have weeds that have grown up to four to five feet tall (yup, you read that right!). I've been bugging him to have someone to come and whack the hell out of the weeds since this spring, but to no avail.

UGH, I give up. I'm gonna find myself a better place.

Here's a tidbit for you: one of my neighbors hinted that my landlord may be Mayor Healy's brother-in-law. Funny. Mayor Healy's house is one over from mine.

*meh*

Posted on: 2008/7/28 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

gungirl_newyork wrote:
To NewHeights:

No, you are not being heartless at all. Not one bit. I prefer an honest answer.

To asnky & To dmark526:
I'm already looking at other places on Craigslist. I think it's better for me to move on at this point.

Thank you for your inputs.

There's no harm in having a reasonable, businesslike conversation with your landlord about the issues you're having. Try to work with him. It sounds like you like the place a lot, and it'd be a shame to just move out without actually checking to see how willing your landlord might be to work with you.

Not all landlords are scumbags, and even if you'll eventually end up moving out, you'll have the peace of mind knowing that you at least asked. He may be in financial trouble if the work has stopped for a long period of time, in which case your monthly rent checks might be incredibly important to him. Tenants are not always as powerless as NewHeights likes to portray them. The prospect of you moving out could get him to listen to you.

Also, if he is not living in the building, he cannot claim the owner-occupier special rights that the law affords landlords who live in the building.

Posted on: 2008/5/13 17:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
To NewHeights:

No, you are not being heartless at all. Not one bit. I prefer an honest answer.

To asnky & To dmark526:
I'm already looking at other places on Craigslist. I think it's better for me to move on at this point.

Thank you for your inputs.

Posted on: 2008/5/13 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
The only thing you can do is move out if you're not happy. The guy owns the house and can do whatever he wants with it as long as nothing violates your lease. Usually there is nothing in the lease that guarantees an insulated apartment. I have been living in my place for 4 years and it gets very drafty in the winter, but it's just something I've learned to live with. I have no way of forcing my landlord to install better windows.

Also, it is not unusual to not have a lease renewal. I signed an original lease upon move in 4 years ago and have not renewed since. That's just the way some landlords do it.

Posted on: 2008/5/13 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
From what you're describing it sounds like he is attempting a condo conversion and ran out of money. A landlord would have no reason for gut-renovating each apartment if he weren't planning on converting.

Do you know if he obtained the proper permits to renovate the upstairs apt? If he didn't, then you would have that to hold over his head to get him to finish the renovation. Although, it wouldn't make for great landlord/tenant relations.

If he is in fact planning on converting, I doubt he has any intention of giving you a written lease.

Maybe you should make him an offer on your unit and see what he says. If he jumps at the offer, then you at least know what his intentions are for the property.

Good Luck.

Posted on: 2008/5/13 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Gungirl

its sounds like you are at the mercy if the evil landlord. You can stay if he lets you or you might have to move out.

I suggest you figure out a way to own something or for the rest of your life you'll be wondering what the landlord will do next. Otherwise dont sweat it and just see where the next wave takes you.

Sorry to sound heartless but is that serious enough for you.

Posted on: 2008/5/13 17:13

I need some serious advice regarding my rental situation

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I moved from Yonkers to Jersey City in fall of 2006. I'm currently living in The Heights (Ferry and Central). My building is a 2 story Victorian/Edwardian. I live on the first floor. My unit, along with my neighbors' across the hall from me, are the only two units completely renovated. I have brand new floors, windows, kitchen appliances and bathroom. My neighbors and I adore this place. It's so convenient transportation wise, quiet and our other neighbors on our block are wonderful.

My landlord has the floor above us completely gutted. He said he will have the second floor completely renovated, since he will be living there. Well, it's been almost two years since he had said that. The house is not insulated. I'm lucky, since my unit is adjacent to the house next door. My neighbor on the other hand, is not. They spend almost $300-$400 a month on heating in the winter. The house's exterior certainly needs renovation. My landlord told me that he had already paid a contractor to do environmentally safe foam insulation, but some parts of the roof need to be fixed before hand. We were also supposed to get laundry machines on premises, in which my landlord went on to say it will be free of charge to the tenants.

So, here we are in Spring 2008. Nothing has been done. My neighbors told me that they are thinking of leaving by the end of the year if nothing is being done. If they leave, I will be the only tenant in the house.

Another thing I also find peculiar: our landlord has yet to renewal our leases. My neighbors and I reminded our landlord about them, but nothing came of it.

I was beginning to speculate the fact perhaps my landlord may want to sell the place, but my neighbor doesn't think so.

We don't want to leave this house. It's so wonderful, but we can only wait for so long.

Is there anything else I can do?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2008/5/13 16:33

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017