Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Downtown: Ferris High School, another 'wolf pack' attack by gang of at least 15 boys
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
Here is what i think

The kids who get in these fights have parents who probably got pregnat while still in high school. I think the morals they are taught are

Stand Up For yourself
and don't ruin your reputation.

The thing is, if a bunch of kids, 15, are walking together, and i was a cop, i would walk around that area, make sure they see me, or call a car in just in case.

Its probably not that hard to spot.

Posted on: 2007/9/9 6:23

Re: Downtown: Ferris High School, another 'wolf pack' attack by gang of at least 15 boys
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah when I was younger it was called getting jumped. Wolfpacked sounds a lot more menacing.

Posted on: 2007/9/8 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
I honestly don't get the "wolf pack" label, like it's some kind of new trend - it's a bunch of guys beating someone up. It's sick, but it's nothing new, and "wolf pack" is just a sexy term to sell newspapers.

Posted on: 2007/9/8 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
'Another 'wolf pack' attack, police say'

I thought that the cops didn't acknowledge the idea of 'wolf packs'.

Resized Image

Welcome to Jersey City

Home of the ?Wolf Pack? attacks

DTG

Posted on: 2007/9/8 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
'Another 'wolf pack' attack, police say'

I thought that the cops didn't acknowledge the idea of 'wolf packs'.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/9/8 13:01
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Teen violence erupting
Citizens want to see more done in new school year

Ricardo Kaulessar
Hudson Reporter
09/07/2007

It came in the form of a fight near Lincoln High School last March in which one boy was stabbed and seven were arrested.

And then there was the group attack on a teacher in Snyder High School in June.

There were also the incidents over the summer around Jersey City in which packs of teenagers attacked innocent pedestrians in the streets. An out-of-town teenager was recently charged in some of those incidents and held on $250,000 bail.

Violence has erupted in and around the Jersey City schools, and officials say they are continuing to work on anti-gang measures and bringing police into the schools to talk. But some residents and school staff members want to see more done.

JC Families for Better Schools, a parents' group that has called for changes in the Jersey City school system, asked for the district to rewrite current security measures. They submitted a letter to the state's Commissioner of Education Lucille Davy.

The letter specifically calls for revision of current security plans and increased law enforcement at and around Lincoln, Ferris, Dickinson, and Snyder high schools. It also asks for more security around routes to school, more after-school activities for students, and conflict-resolution programs.

Jersey City school district spokesperson Dr. Gerard Crisonino said recently that the school district will continue to work with the Jersey City Police Department on a gang intervention and anti-violence program in which police officers come to the schools to speak to students.

There are 42 schools in the Jersey City public school system, including six high schools.

Report doesn't tell whole story

Last month, the state Department of Education released its annual report on violence, vandalism and substance abuse in New Jersey public schools.

According to the report, the Jersey City schools, with an enrollment of 29,288 students, suffered from 148 reported incidents (with 114 being violence-related) during the school year.

The data is reported to the state by the district's Electronic Violence and Vandalism Reporting System (EVVRS).

One resident mentioned the report at the Aug. 30 meeting of the city's Board of Education.

Lorenzo Richardson, a Jersey City resident and product of the Jersey City school system, went to the meeting to talk about the report. Richardson is an accountant with the Urban League of Hudson County and is also a co-founder of the Jersey City-based Concerned Citizens Coalition, a non-profit group that works on solutions to youth-based violence.

"I went to the last Board of Education meeting and just said, 'this report is baloney.' I didn't believe it," Richardson said. Richardson believed there were more incidents statewide than reported.

Richardson has his own recommendations that that he hopes will be considered.

The first is what he called a "Love Week" in the Jersey City schools. Richardson said this concept calls for every day of the week to be devoted to an altruistic action among students. Richardson said this was an action he remembered from St. Peter's College when he attended the school in the early 1990s.

"You could have one day as 'Hug Me Day,' and then another day as 'Shaking Your Fellow Students' Hands Day,' and another as 'Carry a Female Students' Book Day,' " Richardson said. "It's an innovative program that deals with improving children's self-esteem, and it fosters better relations between students."

He explained, "Some of these are kids are dysfunctional and they don't know how to interact with one another."

Richardson said he submitted his idea to Special Assistant to the Superintendent Ellen Ruane, but had not heard back.

Perception more than reality

Larry Odoms is the principal of Snyder High School, located on Bergen Avenue in the Greenville section of the city.

An educator for 36 years, Odoms has seen tens of thousands of students in his career, including the estimated 1,200 students that walked through the doors on Thursday.

It was under Odoms' watch that a teacher at the school was attacked by a group of students in June. A previous article in the Jersey City Reporter quoted a friend of the teacher as castigating School Superintendent Dr. Charles Epps and the school board for not doing enough to protect teachers for student attacks.

How does a veteran educator like Odoms secure his school for the new school year to prevent such an attack from happening again?

Odoms said he and his staff spent a good part of the summer "planning and anticipating," but did not offer details.

But he added, "We had a trouble-free, interaction-less first day of school because of the visibility of the administrators and the staff."

Odoms did say that the attack on the teacher "heightens people's awareness within the school" but said it was an "infrequent happening."

When asked about the status of the teacher, he offered "no comment" because of litigation pertaining to the attack. Odoms also took issue with the perception that his high school is too violent a place for students to attend, citing "sensational headlines" in newspapers.

"People see 'Teacher gets attacked' and they think it's too dangerous to send their kids there," Odoms said. "If it was not safe, I would not be here and neither would many of the teachers and students."

Ricardo Kaulessar can be reached at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

---------------------------------------------
Sidebar

What happens if they're caught

The Jersey City Board of Education has a Code of Conduct that is put in booklet form and is distributed to students and parents before the beginning of each school year.

In the code, it states, "Students who bring weapons to school or commit any act of violence against a student or staff member will be removed from the school building immediately."

Depending on the incident, the age of the student, and the recommendations of the Central Office team, the student is assigned to an interim location for a minimum of at least 10 days, with more serious cases being a minimum of one year or permanent expulsion from school.

However, before removal takes place, the student is required to receive oral or written notice of the charges, an explanation of the charges, evidence supporting the charges, and an opportunity to present his/her side of the story.

Usually, the notice and hearing requirements come before the student's removal from school, but in emergency situations, the student may be removed from school immediately. - RK

Posted on: 2007/9/8 7:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/25 4:58
Group:
Registered Users
I am so glad that I'm an older man and don't have to attend school in this day and age.These Goddamm bastard kids don't get punished enough and that's why they keep doing it. They should send these punks over to Iraq if they want to fight so badly. As far as the parents are concerned I think a lot of these parents today stink anyway.They are probably just as bad.They don't discipline their kids and that's why they are like that.Bad seeds,all of them.

Posted on: 2007/9/8 5:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
harsimoose, yes, there is a posibility they were leaving school. who knows in a case like this. No facts are right.

Peabody, okay, so 60% end up in prison, and that is good cause they are off are streets? Well we then pay for their jail time.

If they had actual parents who cared, there wouldent be this problem by high school.

Posted on: 2007/9/8 4:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/10/3 3:46
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stepanstas wrote:

harsimoose, the incident (according to the article) took place durring lunch

granted, the article is poorly written, but Ferris High now has lunch at 3.20pm? Me no think so.

Posted on: 2007/9/8 4:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/9 19:01
Group:
Registered Users
This is nothing a good ol' fashioned drive by wouldn't fix. Statistically, 60% of these kids will end up in prison. Can't happen soon enough is what I say.

Posted on: 2007/9/8 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well thats sad considering I go to Ferris High School
And i was wondering why there was more cops and more commotion today.

The school does have cameras, but do most of them work is the question. Security guards are lazy and once your out there, your out there.

I would personally blame the football team because they are the ones who lift all the weights and act so tough.

harsimoose, the incident (according to the article) took place durring lunch

And just to let you know, freshmen have to stay in for lunch

Thats all JC Public school (i think its cause of things like this) and they are working on making it like that for everybody.

Posted on: 2007/9/8 0:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/10/3 3:46
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

They need to ban kids who live far from school from going out at lunch time and they need more police and more cameras -- remember from just before summer the Ferris students brick attack on a funeral worker. They need to arrest all the kids involved!

1.) This attack you're reporting on took place after school. What does it have to do with school lunch policy or the "brick" incident?

2.) What exactly would justify "banning" those who live "far" from school (and how far?) yet not "banning" those who live "near"?

3.) If by "far" you mean "Montgomery Gardens" then why not just man up and say what you mean?

Posted on: 2007/9/7 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know what it is about Jersey City, but it's seems like none of these kids ever fight 1 on 1. Neighboring cities have always know this.

I guess it's hard for them to fight fair when they are tripping over their t shirts...

Posted on: 2007/9/7 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Some of these so called 'boys' would have the same punching and kicking force of an adult. There needs to be a better word then 'boys' - I prefer 'young adult' as they are fully aware that kicking or punching someone in the face will cause the wanted injury they seek.

Hopefully these little ass-wipes will feel the wrath of someone else's fury and if they don't learn anything by it, at least they will feel the pain.

Posted on: 2007/9/7 21:02
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Downtown: Ferris High School, another 'wolf pack' attack by gang of at least 15 boys
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
They need to ban kids who live far from school from going out at lunch time and they need more police and more cameras -- remember from just before summer the Ferris students brick attack on a funeral worker. They need to arrest all the kids involved!

Click Here For Old Link

WELCOME BACK -- there has just been

Another 'wolf pack' attack, police say

by Michaelangelo Conte
Friday September 07, 2007, 3:22 PM

A Jersey City boy had his front teeth broken and his friend was punched in the eye when they were attacked by a wolf pack of at least 15 boys while on their way to their first day of classes at Ferris High School yesterday, officials said.

At 3:20 p.m., the 17-year-old boy and his 18-year-old friend were walking to an evening class when they were confronted by the 15 boys, who were waiting for them under the Turnpike overpass, reports said.

The 17-year-old argued with one of the wolf pack members, who then punched him in the face, reports said.

They began fighting and the 17-year-old was on top when the rest of the boys began kicking and punching the victim, reports said.

During the assault someone punched the victim's friend from behind, reports said. Police officers spoke to the boys at the Jersey City Medical Center, where the 17-year-old was being treated for an eye injury and broken front teeth, police said, while the 18-year-old had a bruised eye and cheek, reports said.

Posted on: 2007/9/7 20:43

Edited by GrovePath on 2007/9/7 21:03:57
Edited by GrovePath on 2007/9/7 21:05:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017