Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Officials confirm 13-year-old was struck by car driven by off-duty Jersey City cop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
So much for this cop providing safety at the school and its he, that is involved in an accident from a student at the school !

http://photos.nj.com/4505/gallery/off ... rl_13_with_car/index.html

These photos highlight that the car didn't leave any skid marks, hit the kid hard, pulled over after the impact, in a residential area (no freeway or main road route) with kids present and at a time kids are going home from school.

I'm sure speed restrictions apply around schools through-out the state and country and police always preach to look out for kids in the morning and afternoon around schools....so what went so horribly wrong ? As adults and especially cops, we are supposed to look out for them !

Posted on: 2012/5/14 14:41
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Re: Officials confirm 13-year-old was struck by car driven by off-duty Jersey City cop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jzara wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

jzara wrote:
Obviously you shouldn't jaywalk for your own safety. But as for issuing the pedestrian a summons, that's ridiculous. She's 13 years old and also she is in the hospital injured. I think she's paid the price already. Most pedestrians in an accident pay with their lives.

Now that she'll live she will learn for next time to look both ways. And if a summons was issued to the pedestrian it would help the driver in court.

Will she live? The dent in that guy's car looks pretty deep. Scary stuff.
It probably won't be for 100 years, and we won't be around for it, but the day will come when cars no longer have carte blanche all over our streets and its everyone else's job to get out of the way or die. I wish that time was now...but, just gotta be careful out there.

Yeah and there will be a time when our beloved cell phone will save us from our own demise. Hey I bike but if I don't pay attention I have only my self to blame.

Posted on: 2012/5/14 13:14
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

COPS, who--more often than not--IGNORE us, and whiz by, usually talking on the phone, and then tear around a corner without...wait for it...signaling.

All mandatory police procedure--it's for our own protection. We should thank them whenever they hit us.

Posted on: 2012/5/14 13:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

jzara wrote:
Obviously you shouldn't jaywalk for your own safety. But as for issuing the pedestrian a summons, that's ridiculous. She's 13 years old and also she is in the hospital injured. I think she's paid the price already. Most pedestrians in an accident pay with their lives.

Now that she'll live she will learn for next time to look both ways. And if a summons was issued to the pedestrian it would help the driver in court.

Will she live? The dent in that guy's car looks pretty deep. Scary stuff.
It probably won't be for 100 years, and we won't be around for it, but the day will come when cars no longer have carte blanche all over our streets and its everyone else's job to get out of the way or die. I wish that time was now...but, just gotta be careful out there.

Posted on: 2012/5/14 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jzara wrote:

Posted on: 2012/5/14 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
People aren't asking the most important question. ?....... How is a city employee driving a lexus?

Perhaps he invested his money wisely, didn't waste it on silly purchases, could be an old car they are built to last, maybe he inherited it, second job. You can't judge the book by it's cover nowadays.

Posted on: 2012/5/14 12:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/13 13:41
Group:
Registered Users
"If this pedestrian had crossed the street in the proper fashion this never would have happened. Hope the police issued the summons if this person was j-walking...I see this type of thing all the time..we have all been victim to it here in JC..people darting into the street..im not surprised...always the drivers fault never the person acting improperly. "

If you think cars usually stop for pedestrians in crosswalks in JC, we live in 2 different JC dimensions.

In my JC dimension , almost NO cars stop for me when I'm standing at the edge of a crosswalk. With a baby in a stroller. PARTICULARLY COPS, who--more often than not--IGNORE us, and whiz by, usually talking on the phone, and then tear around a corner without...wait for it...signaling.

Posted on: 2012/5/14 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Bunch more photos. Still not buying the simple explanation the cops released. His car is way up the block with no cars to his left. Right side has some cars but all the damage was on his driver's side.

http://photos.nj.com/jersey-journal/2 ... sey_city_cop_strik_7.html

Posted on: 2012/5/14 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
The other day, a boy getting out of school darted out onto the street on his scooter, in front of my car. I slammed on my brake, and was driving pretty slow so I didn't hit him.
The kid didn't even look to see if a car was coming, he was lucky that I was driving slow and paying attention.

There are a lot of kids who do this, I wouldn't be surprised if this child did something similar, and unfortunately got seriously hurt. Kids do stupid things, they think they are immortal. I also wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the driver was careless and at fault since we've all seen how people drive in this city. I'm sure there were witnesses and if the driver was being careless, it will come out.

In any event, the police officer stopped and took care of the kid, talked to the parents and took the girl to the hospital. This makes me believe that he didn't do anything wrong.

He did the right thing in stopping, helping etc. but it doesn't say anything about his guilt or innocence.

Posted on: 2012/5/13 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
The other day, a boy getting out of school darted out onto the street on his scooter, in front of my car. I slammed on my brake, and was driving pretty slow so I didn't hit him.
The kid didn't even look to see if a car was coming, he was lucky that I was driving slow and paying attention.

There are a lot of kids who do this, I wouldn't be surprised if this child did something similar, and unfortunately got seriously hurt. Kids do stupid things, they think they are immortal. I also wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the driver was careless and at fault since we've all seen how people drive in this city. I'm sure there were witnesses and if the driver was being careless, it will come out.

In any event, the police officer stopped and took care of the kid, talked to the parents and took the girl to the hospital. This makes me believe that he didn't do anything wrong.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 20:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/5/12 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I would like to see more evidence. Pretty much whatever happens in front of your car you are liable for to some extent.
I don't see any evidence that the driver's view was limited by parked cars.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I thought jay-walking is only an offence if you are within a certain amount of feet of an intersection or ped xing - imagine living along the roadway with neither and miles away !
Other readers point out some interesting views - notibly damage to the car and the parking situation.
I hope the investigation looks at speed and cell use of the driver. This incident highlights the importance of driving slow around schools and kids doing the unexpected - At the 'right' speed you should be able to stop on a dime or any impact would result in no damage to ped or car.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 2:47
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
If one can afford a Lexus, what is it to you??
Was this "official" driving on the sidewalk? The kid made the mistake of not crossing at the crosswalk. Guess what? That was HIS mistake, not the driver's mistake. Put the blame where it belongs . Nobody learns a lesson when the blame gets shifted.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 1:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/28 16:39
Group:
Registered Users
I took at look at the photo and didnt see a cross walk. If this pedestrian had crossed the street in the proper fashion this never would have happened. Hope the police issued the summons if this person was j-walking...I see this type of thing all the time..we have all been victim to it here in JC..people darting into the street..im not surprised...always the drivers fault never the person acting improperly.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
People aren't asking the most important question. ?....... How is a city employee driving a lexus?

Posted on: 2012/5/11 23:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

jzara wrote:
Good point, I was going to abstain from saying this before because i don't want to place blame on the guy without really knowing what happened, but I just wanted to say that there always seems to be a quick conclusion that it was the victim's fault somehow when it comes to dealing with car-on-ped crashes.

Maybe she jaywalked while being distracted on the cell phone. The town of Ft. Lee N.J. is issuing summons to pedestrains for infractions such as this.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012 ... police_crack_down_on.html

http://www.northjersey.com/news/trans ... oad_warrior/ROAD0511.html

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Fort_ ... _jaywalkers.html?page=all

lol...watch out for those dangerous pedestrians!

Posted on: 2012/5/11 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:
Maybe she jaywalked while being distracted on the cell phone.

LOL have never seen a policemen here ticket anyone for jaywalking, double parking, loitering, littering, or any other laws being broken.

I'm surprised seeing how this city (J.C.) favors cars and thinks bicycles are evil. I guess 4 wheels and 4 legs get more of the attention around here then 2 wheels and the 2 legged creatures.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Maybe she jaywalked while being distracted on the cell phone.

LOL have never seen a policemen here ticket anyone for jaywalking, double parking, loitering, littering, or any other laws being broken.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jzara wrote:
Good point, I was going to abstain from saying this before because i don't want to place blame on the guy without really knowing what happened, but I just wanted to say that there always seems to be a quick conclusion that it was the victim's fault somehow when it comes to dealing with car-on-ped crashes.

Maybe she jaywalked while being distracted on the cell phone. The town of Ft. Lee N.J. is issuing summons to pedestrains for infractions such as this.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012 ... police_crack_down_on.html

http://www.northjersey.com/news/trans ... oad_warrior/ROAD0511.html

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Fort_ ... _jaywalkers.html?page=all

Posted on: 2012/5/11 13:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/5/11 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
No cars parked to his left and if you check Google maps streetview there is a hydrant to the right of this photo, about even with the nose of his car. The damage is on the driver's side. Did she run across from his right and yet he never saw her? Or perhaps she ran from his left where he had a clear view? Interesting. I'm not implying total guilt but perhaps he was moving at a good pace or was distracted as he raced home? In any case he is liable.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/5/11 2:37

Officials confirm 13-year-old was struck by car driven by off-duty Jersey City cop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
A 13-year-old Jersey City girl was struck this afternoon by a car driven by an off-duty cop after she darted into the street from between parked cars, a police official said.
The girl was listed in stable condition tonight, according to a spokesman for the Jersey City Medical Center.
The incident occurred on Linden Avenue near Linden Court at 3:15 p.m., Lt. Edgar Martinez said.
The girl ran into the street and was struck by the Lexus driven by an officer with the South Precinct who was still in uniform and had just left his assignment at School 40 on Gates Avenue, Martinez said.
The officer immediately got out of his car, called an ambulance, and tended to the child, Martinez said.
The girl told police where her mother lives on Old Bergen Road and officers went to the house to inform her about the accident and take her to the hospital, he said.
Shortly after the incident, there was a small pool of blood at the scene and a blue sneaker the girl was wearing could be seen near the sidewalk.
The Lexus sustained front-end damage on the driver's side.
"I heard a noise and then I heard a lot of yelling," said John Payne, 67, who lives on Linden Avenue. "I saw the girl lying on the street. She was moaning and groaning in pain."
"That is a worst thing, as a mother, to come home and hear the news that your daughter got hit by a car," said one bystander, who has two young children of her own.JJ

Posted on: 2012/5/11 0:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017