Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Paulus Hook: Dumpster Diving?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/6 17:42
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:
icechute wrote:
Think about it for a second..... you put out paper to be recycled in a PLASTIC bag.

Seriously, if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. I can't really put the stuff in a brown paper bag because my experience has been the recycling guys won't take anything in which they can't readily see the contents. Hence, I put all my bottles and cans in a clear plastic bag - which they take every week, no problems. I can't put shredded paper in an open waste container, because the slightest breeze will just blow the stuff all over the street and sidewalk.

For my shredded paper I put it in a paper bag, and then put it in the larger bin with the rest of the paper. Otherwise, as you said, it will just go everywhere.

I know about the plastic bag rule (recycling should be placed in containers, not plastic bags) but every recycling day I see a LOT of recycling tied up in clear or blue plastic bags. It always seems to be picked up though, or at least taken back inside the house by the next morning.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
icechute wrote:
Think about it for a second..... you put out paper to be recycled in a PLASTIC bag.

Seriously, if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. I can't really put the stuff in a brown paper bag because my experience has been the recycling guys won't take anything in which they can't readily see the contents. Hence, I put all my bottles and cans in a clear plastic bag - which they take every week, no problems. I can't put shredded paper in an open waste container, because the slightest breeze will just blow the stuff all over the street and sidewalk.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
I once put out a clear plastic trashbag of shredded paper on recycling night, and they refused to take it.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Heights wrote:
And to the person whose trash was invaded if it is shredded documents you are concerned about then the shredded items should have been placed in a separate container and put out for recycling night not to be availed to any passerby.

Are you sure the recylcling crew takes shredded paper? I once put out a clear plastic trashbag of shredded paper on recycling night, and they refused to take it. The had taken the bundled newspapers and magazine I had placed next to the bag. I'm so paranoid about identity theft nowadays, that I mix the shredded paper with the kitchen garbage anyway.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

Skywarp wrote:
True. In all honesty, it's not the first time I saw someone going through the trash...

You not under some kind of investigation are you? JK

In this day and age of identity theft why would you ask such a question? And to the person whose trash was invaded if it is shredded documents you are concerned about then the shredded items should have been placed in a separate container and put out for recycling night not to be availed to any passerby. Perhaps he was a Freegan....

http://freegan.info/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeganism

Posted on: 2009/2/23 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Skywarp wrote:
True. In all honesty, it's not the first time I saw someone going through the trash...

You not under some kind of investigation are you?

JK

Posted on: 2009/2/23 20:47

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
True. In all honesty, it's not the first time I saw someone going through the trash. Last time, which was less than a year ago, the cans were actually out on the curb. I remember being fascinated by it, because once again, he wasn't a homeless guy looking for bottles.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
This has been going on for some time. I chased down a guy that took one of my trash bags about a year ago. He dropped it and ran when he saw me coming after him.

I'm not sure if he has some sort of trash fetish or if he's stealing people's identities, but he's definitely up to no good.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the head's up. Good to be reminded to always shred personal info.
Hopefully it's not a sign of the times. "Regular" people going thru trash for bottles.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 18:52

Paulus Hook: Dumpster Diving?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
Saturday night, my visiting mother-in-law caught a guy rooting through our trash. He didn't look like a homeless guy looking for bottles--he looked like an everyday dude. The trash cans weren't even by the curb, but way inside the front gate of the house. She said that when he saw her, he just stopped what he was doing and quickly exited the property.

I take great care to shred everything I throw away with personal info. I warned one of my neighbors about what happened, but I thought it would be good to pass this your way as well. Anyone else seen this happening?

Whereabouts: near Sussex and Warren.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 18:38

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017