Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC Heights- Congress St. Area
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 19:00
From Heights - NE Corner
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nikkiinnj wrote:
I think that I'm going to take a drive around the heights today since it's so nice out. Wave if you see me :)

I'd be interesting in hearing your observations.

Posted on: 2007/7/20 20:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
I think that I'm going to take a drive around the heights today since it's so nice out. Wave if you see me :)

Posted on: 2007/7/20 17:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights - NE Corner
Group:
Registered Users
FWIW, there's been some shuffling of the Coach USA/Red & Tan bus lines. It seems the 99S is now the 10 - at least between Journal Square & Port Authority, or something like that.

Anyhow if you're looking for the 99S and see a10 it's the same difference.

Oh, and it's gate 414 for the 99S and gate 404 for the 123.

Posted on: 2007/7/20 17:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights - NE Corner
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ErinMaiden wrote:
i normally take the 126 (willow bus) home thru hoboken and walk up to the elevator, would love to know what gate the 99S leaves from, figure on the crap weather days, i should try that one...
thx

Gate 416. Departs every 30 mins on the 10s & 40s. It can get way crowded but hell, it's only one stop.

Posted on: 2007/7/16 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
i normally take the 126 (willow bus) home thru hoboken and walk up to the elevator, would love to know what gate the 99S leaves from, figure on the crap weather days, i should try that one...
thx

Posted on: 2007/7/16 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
danke

Posted on: 2007/7/16 19:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights - NE Corner
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
what is the "123" from congress and palisade into New york? also, how often do they little buses run along palisade to 42nd street?

The 123 is an NJ Transit Bus. It starts at the Congress St. Elevator, zig zags up to the NE corner of Palisade & Paterson Plank then shoots up Palisade to the Lincoln Tunnel into Port Authority. Fare is $2.55 to the city. Returns from gate 412 (I think). Used to run every half hour but now it's every hour on the hour starting at the elevator. Departs from Port Authority hourly at 20 past. Of course it runs more frequently during rush hour. Schedule-wise it's much more reliable than the 99S.

I usually take the 123 into the city since It's more reliable. But it's slower than the 99S since mine is the first stop and it has to go up through Union City. The 99S is faster since we're the last stop before the city but it's rarely on time here since it starts in Bayonne. I usually take the 99S home though since it's faster (we're the first stop) and more frequent. Just less reliable. Luckily it's only a few gates from the 123 at Port Authority so you can easily jump to the other.

For that matter, when going in to the city I wait at the corner of Palisade and Paterson Plank so I can catch a 123, 99S, Jitney or even a 'gypsy carpool'. The 123 is at the NE corner and the others are at the SE corner so that can be tricky.

I don't often see the Jitneys except during rush hour. They seem fairly random.

That, in a very long winded way, is my bus strategy.

Posted on: 2007/7/16 16:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights - NE Corner
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nikkiinnj wrote:
Hi everyone- I\'ve been noticing a lot of posts on the board about the Congress St. area of the Heights. I\'m considering relocating within JC and I\'d love to get more information on the area.

1. Are there a lot of restaurants in the area?
2. What\'s around in terms of nightlife?
3. How far is it to the Journal Square Path Station?
4. Is it fairly easy to get to the turnpike from here?
5. Is the area mostly composed of condo units or are there any single and multi-family houses?
6. How\'s the area surrounding Washington Park?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We bought our house around 2 years ago abot a block from Palisade/Congress after renting forever in Manhattan and are overall quite happy.

There are restaurants around. More on Central Ave (a few blocks West of Palisade) than on Palisade. Frankly, when it comes to restaurants & grocery shopping we usually take the elevator down to Hoboken. Fresh Direct doesn\'t service the Heights yet...it\'s a matter of demand. I\'ve gotta say that one of the things I really miss about the city is being able to order-in just about anything. And man, do I miss my old corner Bodega.

Nightlife...couldn\'t tell you but I\'ve heard good things about the Corkscrew.

As was mentioned before JSQ PATH isn\'t the way to go. I take the 99S or 123 to Port Authority. On a good day I can into the city in 15 mins. If I\'m feeling fancy I\'ll take the Light Rail (or walk) to the Ferry. Getting back from the city late at night can be a drag...Port Authority at 3am is sort of a buzz-kill. Could always PATH to Hoboken and Taxi up.

Getting to the Turnpike is a cinch.

My block is primarily owner occupied single family houses with some multi unit rentals. One of the rental buildings is mildly troublesome but nothing scary. There are plenty of condos around here.

I live a few doors from Washington Park. There can be a little bit of shady activity (as any park will attract) but again nothing scary around this side of the park. It\'s well utilized. A lot of us take our dogs to the area behind Doric Towers in the evenings.

In the short time we\'ve been here I seen changes for the better in the neighborhood. We\'ve met some great neighbors and there are a surprising number of really cool people around here.

The area is highly variable block to block. Do come up and scope out different blocks at different times of day. Take any of the Bergenline Jitneys to get up here...they loop by JSQ then come up Palisade. In my opinion, the nearer you are to \"The Elevator\" the better.

Posted on: 2007/7/16 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
what is the "123" from congress and palisade into New york? also, how often do they little buses run along palisade to 42nd street?

Posted on: 2007/7/16 16:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/7 6:06
Group:
Registered Users
I've been living in the heights for several years now and love it. while there are many good things about downtown, the heights has great potential. especially around that elevator. the hoboken plan calls for many new stores over on monroe. currently there is a great steak house restraunt in the monroe arts center at the bottom of the elevator. the only challenge is they want to cater to young 20 somethings. while there is nothing wrong with that, this area over here has many families and would do well serving that.

transport wise is pretty great as well. the 87 gets you right to the path in hoboken. the 99s gets to port authority in about 15-20 mins from palisade. the 123 does it a bit cheaper from congress and palisade.

we do need some better eating establishments up here, but it will get there. Caviche is pretty good on central and so is ginos (both restaraunt and pizza) their service needs to get better but they have good food and decent prices. The owner of bond drugs up on central as well is great. a good pharmacy.

I hope that helps a bit...

Posted on: 2007/7/16 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
i have NO idea about schools up here - no kids yet (but hopefully someday!)... we'll probably ship them off to catholic school....

if anyone does know - let me know!

Posted on: 2007/7/10 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:

almost 2 years in the heights and we know a lot of the people on our block - New York Ave and Congress ...

One thing I'm trying to figure out is how grade schools like P.S. 27, P.S. 28, etc. are up there.

Are there people up there who have a choice about where to send their kids who compare the options and decide to keep their kids in the schools up there, rather than trying to get the kids into, for example, P.S. 16 or P.S. 37?

Posted on: 2007/7/10 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
yeah, lived downtown for years, never met any new neighbors (not even in our buildings) other than friends we already knew.

almost 2 years in the heights and we know a lot of the people on our block - New York Ave and Congress - we're near the union city border....

yes, it's noisy sometimes, and there are stupid kids - but those exist everywhere.

not many "restaurants" but plenty of places to eat.

there's a nice Shop Rite a block from the elevator to hoboken - and plenty of great places to eat in hoboken...

good luck with your search!

Posted on: 2007/7/10 20:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Very nice. I'm already getting a good feeling from the neighborhood. It seems like it'd be a good combination of the neighborhood type feel plus the proximity to all of the places that I like to go. And, I didn't realize there were so many parks up there which is a really nice bonus.

Posted on: 2007/7/10 19:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/4 0:54
Group:
Registered Users
I live near Pershing Field. I always feel safe. (Although I know better than to walk through a park in the dead of night.) Pershing Field hosts baseball games and has tennis and basketball courts. Many people in the neighborhood can be found running the track. Most people are familiar with at least a few of their neighbors. There are a few good local restaurants. A good library and a general old-fashioned town sort of feel. And there is the Reservoir which opens to the public on Saturdays. It's not a perfect place but it has certainly changed since I first moved here 3 years ago. There are many living options. A walk to the "Corkscrew" bar takes less than 10 minutes. There is a bus that gets you to Journal Square in five minutes. Walking takes you about 20 minutes; an option many of us in this neighborhood embrace. Come and visit!

Posted on: 2007/7/10 19:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks this is good information. I currently live in the Danforth Ave area and I like the neighborhood feeling, but, it can be a bit isolated and nightlife is virtually non-existent. It seems like this area may be a good option for me.

Are there any sketchy streets that I should totally avoid during my search?

I will also be doing some walking around the area this weekend but the Heights seems to be made of a lot of different neighborhoods and I'm just really not sure where to start.

Posted on: 2007/7/10 18:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/1 21:10
From New York Avenue, Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hey there, I live in the heights. I don't know if I can answer all your questions, but hopefully I can give you some help. I have lived in the heights for about 2 years now. I recently purchased a house with my sister on New York Avenue.

As for restaurants in the area, there are some. It's more of a "local" fair of restaurants around. Nothing like Hoboken or downtown jersey city, but it is getting better day by day. As for nightlife, I haven't gone out in the heights yet. But there is a bar that I want to try that?s called the corkscrew, and I believe it is on Congress Street. From what I hear it?s a good place, but I just haven't been there to check it out yet. Other places, well I haven't really found any yet, but I also have not looked that much.

To get to the Journal Square Path train, there are a few buses around. The 87 that runs on Palisade (from Hoboken) goes to journal square. And I believe there is a bus that runs along Central Avenue that goes there as well. And there is the Jitney Bus or Immi Bus or mini bus (all the same bus, just different names.) this one goes to the back side of journal square, not directly to the station.

I work in the city, I commute via the path train, what my sister and I do is take the 87 (pick up on Palisade) and that takes you directly to the Hoboken path/train/bus station. If you are on Congress, you can also walk over the 9th street elevator, take that down to the back of Hoboken and that will put you right at the 9th street light rail station, where you can also take that directly to Hoboken.

I don't have a car, but I have rented and been in other's cars. And to my knowledge, it's pretty easy to get around to the turnpike as well as other major roads.

As for homes, I'm not sure, but when we were looking to purchase a house, we found a good deal of homes, condos and multi family units. We wanted a home, so we didn't focus on the others, but there seems to be a lot of remodeling around the neighborhood lately... so I'm sure you would be able to find the type your looking for.

So, there's some answers or help for you. Hope this helps. I really like the heights area. I lived downtown jersey city for 5 years, and then moved to the heights. I thought it was going to be a major change, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I actually quit like it. Its has a very neighborhood feeling.

Quote:

nikkiinnj wrote:
Hi everyone- I've been noticing a lot of posts on the board about the Congress St. area of the Heights. I'm considering relocating within JC and I'd love to get more information on the area.

2. What's around in terms of nightlife?
5. Is the area mostly composed of condo units or are there any single and multi-family houses?
6. How's the area surrounding Washington Park?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2007/7/10 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
i live in that area. the jsq path is not what you want. there is an elevator right there that takes you to the lightrail which takes you to the path in hoboken. or there are busses on palisades that take you to port authority.

i lived in downtown for 3 years b/4 moving to the heights and we love it. there are condos and single family/multi family houses (check out craigslist). the nightlife is ok. we go to the corkscrew for a drink or DC's in the back of hoboken, but then we also walk further into hoboken (washington is a 15 minute walk from our house) and the dining possibilities are many. (if you get there early before the whitehats invade). also LA Gloria on congress and palisades is delicious!

as for the turnpike its about a 6 minute drive i'd say.

overall we love it. sure it can get rowdy, but i'd trade that for a backyard and parking space anyday. Not to mention our block does have a neighborhood feel (minus the 1 doucheb*g house). Gotta love the hotdog man on congress and new york, and the friendly neighbors that we chat with when we pass by. didn't have that when we lived on grove.

Posted on: 2007/7/10 17:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/8 16:02
Group:
Registered Users
I live in the heights around Fisk Park. I'll try to answer some of your questions as best as I can.

There are restaurants, not sure if I would say a lot of restaurants.

I normally venture into NYC to be honest.

Not sure of exact distance, but there are many jitney's that will take you there.

Yes, I normally go down to hoboken and hop on by jersey ave. Probably looking at 5-10min.

While I do see condo units, I see many single/multi family houses.

I've been to the park a number of times and haven't had much trouble, but normally don't hang out late into the evening there.

Posted on: 2007/7/10 17:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
anyone live in the Heights at all?

Posted on: 2007/7/10 17:34

JC Heights- Congress St. Area
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everyone- I've been noticing a lot of posts on the board about the Congress St. area of the Heights. I'm considering relocating within JC and I'd love to get more information on the area.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2007/7/10 13:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017