Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Please CUT DOWN the ugly Sycamore trees

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/17 20:12
Group:
Registered Users
I live in the outskirts of Hamilton Park. I WANT the forestry division to cut down the ugly sycamore trees.

They look 1/2 dead, and are badly mulitalted due to many of the branches being removed by PSE&G. I called the Forestry Division, because one tree in particular 1) just looks terrible and 2) is hanging dangerously over my roof. I requested that this tree be removed, and in it's place I would pay for new one through the JC fall tree planting program. They sent out an "inspector" and the feedback was "It's fine. Healthy. Nope, we won't remove it." I find this frustrating considering I want to buy a replacement tree that is going to be less hazardous and look much better. And no, I'm not paying a few thousand dollars out of my own pocket to hire a private "tree guy" to take down this tree when it's the city's responsibility.

Posted on: 2007/3/7 22:46

Re: Please Stop Cutting Down Trees in JC

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/19 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
The division of parks and forestry has been by to look at seveal of the large trees on my block in the last two weeks. I asked what was up and was told that they think that the trees are infested with the Asian Longhorned Beetle and will have to be cut down. This could be why some of the other trees are being cut down.

Posted on: 2007/3/7 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Lets bulldoze all the trees at the dog run and Hamilton parks. Then concrete the whole lot and paint it green!

Posted on: 2007/3/7 11:50
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jim399 wrote:
Wow. I didn't think anyone would even read that! Just a couple of rebuttals, if I may, yer honor:

[snip]
3. The idea that trees somehow promote global warming ...
What? Oh that was rhetorical. Well the link I posted was about research published in Nature, a perfectly respectable science journal, perhaps the most respectable. Did you read it?

Quote:
I'm amazed that people still believe that.

Still? Well it's quite a recent discovery and the jury is still out. You didnt read it, did you?

Quote:
It's one step away from Reagan's "leaves cause pollution" speech.

Interesting you should mention pollution (and Reagan). Let me take one step closer.

Smog is created when certain oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) combine with volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and sunlight to produce tropospheric ozone (that's bad ozone as compared to the good ozone in the stratsophere that filters UV radiation). NOxs are mostly man made. The VOCs can be man made or biogenic. Apparently man-made VOC production has been declining due to anti-pollution regulations whereas the biogenic (mostly from trees and plants) type has been increasing in urban areas particularly due to the planting of trees which emit VOCs such as isoprene and monoterpene. The biogenic VOCs are more reactive than the man-made kind.

Nobody is advocating cutting down trees as a solution to the problem but it does seem that certain species of tree are lower emitters of VOCs than others so you can still get the normal cooling and positive anti-pollution effects of trees without adding to the smog problem. The highest emitters of isoprene are the oaks whereas the highest emitters of monoterpenes are pines.

Other high emitters to avoid are sweetgums, black locust, london plane, sycamore, willow and poplars. You can go to the EPA website for links to more information on any particular species.

Some more links to ignore:

New trees cancel out pollution cuts
Reagan was right: trees cause pollution
The Darker Side of Trees
Emission of smog ingredients from trees is increasing rapidly
Good Copse, Bad Copse
Dairy Cows Pollute less than Trees

I suppose one 'advantage' of this is that smog causes global dimming which slows global warming.
Apparently some Nobel Laureates are considering smog production as a solution to global warming.

Could Smog Protect against Global Warming

Posted on: 2007/3/7 0:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/11 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
I for one am so happy and relieved that they got rid of those unsightly trees. Oh my! With the leaves changing and falling all over the place in the fall, and the buds and pollen in the spring, every season brought another nightmare! There are several on my block that I do hope the city will remove as quickly as possible! They block the facade of my brownstone! Oh well, what is one to do but grin and bear it I suppose. Toodles!

No for real, some people kill trees because their roots go into the sewer lines.

Posted on: 2007/3/6 18:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/12 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:

2. Do people really not like trees? What's not to like? It's not like not liking guns or war or poverty. Trees are trees! It's like not liking air!

Yes. Some people don't like trees. They find the mess they make (flower petals in spring if applcable, twigs and leaves after storms and the fall leaves) far outweigh any benefits. They cut down the trees on their property and bitch about anything that falls from their neighbor's trees. One person told me that trees block the breeze and that's why we get those 95 degree days in the summer. See? They do cause global warming.

Posted on: 2007/3/6 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Hurtle wrote:
Quote:

missa wrote:

:D

hurtle, can we just plant trees covertly around town?
...kinda like how the hippies used to try to grow illegal plants at city halls?

Yes. Yes you can. Around September last year, Lowes had their trees marked down to the $5 -$10 range and they were glad to see them go. Keep in mind not everyone likes trees so about 1/3 will be ripped out/stolen/vandalized and another 1/3 will die because you can't water them as needed. Bring a friend so you only look half as crazy digging in the street at 5:00 AM.

People like to yell funny stuff as you drive through the city with a tree hanging from your car. Woo hoo.

1. Thanks for a very funny post -- made me smile thinking about it!

2. Do people really not like trees? What's not to like? It's not like not liking guns or war or poverty. Trees are trees! It's like not liking air!

Posted on: 2007/3/6 2:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/17 22:54
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. I didn't think anyone would even read that! Just a couple of rebuttals, if I may, yer honor:
1. The city's program for planting street trees is a good one. The only disadvantage is that you have to be the property owner to apply. On our buildings we planted about 8 beech trees on sixth street. But we can't do anything about empty pits on Erie etc. Here's that URL again: http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/dpw/tree_planting.html
2. The company that trimmed the Hamilton Park trees was not "Hamilton Tree Co." I remember the van that was in attendance. It definitely did not have that name. Subcontractor?
3. The idea that trees somehow promote global warming ... I'm amazed that people still believe that. It's one step away from Reagan's "leaves cause pollution" speech.

Posted on: 2007/3/6 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

"We now have the spectre that new forests might increase greenhouse warming through methane emissions rather than decrease it by being sinks for CO2," - New Zealand atmospheric scientist Dr. David Lowe

Scientists question trees' role in global warming

So I guess that the process of photosynthesis is a load of crap too!

But I like the use of the word 'might', just like the alternative 'might not'.

yeah, well like they say there are some large error bars on the measurements. When you are dealing in parts per billion it is not surprising. At least he has an open mind. It looks like trees could be a small net minus in terms of the effect on greenhouse gas emissions which must be a bit of a shock for the tree huggers but to the rest of us it is unlikely to make much difference so we can just enjoy them for what they are. So no need to make probably incorrect arguments about how trees are the only thing that will save the planet from global warming. There are enough reasons to oppose the chopping down of trees in JC without resorting to that.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
the list seems pretty legit. a few more things to say:

i like the pear trees. ok, so they smell. Jersey City smells.

london plains are tough as nails, but they grow too big. the city will never come up with a good planting scheme for them.

Pin Oak, when pruned properly, and constantly, are real beauties. Trouble is, they won't be pruned consistently, and they will overgrow into a sh!t storm of a tree. They have very low branches, unique to the oak species, and they also grow extremely thick dense branches, so after a while, they just look like crap. If taken care of though, they're probably my favorite oak tree, a close second to the swamp white oak.

locust always seems to be the remedy, and they can work, but they also can get pretty big, and tall. plant them in the right spot, and you're ok.

the red maples are great. they don't grow too tall, grow somewhat wide, but are manageable, and beautiful.

just please, no white pine. jersey's remedy for cheap, strong growing trees, that quite honestly, are total crap and should become extinct, atleast to rural/suburban landscapes. you know what they are.....those butt ugly pines that grow so awkward and silly, you can't tell if the tree is standing upright or upside down, based on the arrangement and length of each subsequent branch.

downtown JC would look so awesome with a good, well thought out tree scheme. it really would. i would love to see it.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 21:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

missa wrote:

Yes. Yes you can. Around September last year, Lowes had their trees marked down to the $5 -$10 range and they were glad to see them go. Keep in mind not everyone likes trees so about 1/3 will be ripped out/stolen/vandalized and another 1/3 will die because you can't water them as needed. Bring a friend so you only look half as crazy digging in the street at 5:00 AM.

People like to yell funny stuff as you drive through the city with a tree hanging from your car. Woo hoo.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 20:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Of that list earlier, if I may:

Black Locust: They are "ok" looking, but make an absolute mess when the seeds come out...you ever seen those huge, ugly seed pods they leave all over the ground, like 16" string beans? Good thing they started making city friendly, hybrid black locusts, the natural species of them has 3" spikes growing all over it, enough to take an eye out. I think I left atleast 3 pints of blood in Somerset County pruning those suckers. They are strong though, and is why you see so many of them in cities, but they can get big, usually bigger than anticipated.

Zelkova and Gingko: an upright, ugly tree.

Plum: very sensitive trees, usually crap out after a bad rain season.

Red Bud: impractical. beautiful, but impractical.

White Birch: they're ugly. and tacky.

London Plain: I personally like the London Plain's, but they're definitely becoming a me-too tree, just like the locust species. Also, they are strong, fast growers, and usually get too big and eventually hacked up by the power company. Flowering pears are one of my favorites, but again, a me-too tree these days.

My suggestion, if you have some property, research some trees, find something you know will fit there when it is fully matured, and learn how to prune it. Oh, and hope an apt. building won't be built there, too...haha.

You pretty much panned every tree. I'll try to review what's out there in JC in a balanced way.

The following 10 trees are the ones the ones that make up 95% of the JC street trees. These are the ones in pits. It's a whole different world if you start getting the lawns involved. They're roughly orderd from most common to least. You may opt not to get one of these just because there are alot of them out there already.

1. Bradford Pear - These were developed as the ultimate street tree. fast growers, drought tolerant, lots of pretty white flowers in the spring. Some people don't like the way the flowers smell. These tend to be weak-wooded and fall apart when they mature which is a problem that was not anticipated. These can be gotten cheap at Lowes but nobody really recommends planting these anymore. If you're dead set on getting a flowering pear then pick up a Cleveland Select (also cheap and readily available). They were bred to fix the breakage problems with the Bradfords. Time will tell... FYI, these make tiny, inedible 1/4 inch pears. People plant them for the flowers and drought tolerance.

2. Kwanzaan Cherry - Very nice pink flower display in the spring. Only grow to about 20' so they don't contribute to the tree-lined street effect much. They do OK in the tree pits. Good for under power lines

3. Little Leaf Linden - Out of all the dying trees in the city, these top the list. They just don't do well in very sunny or very shady spots. A nice medium sized tree if you have the right location. Heart shaped leaves. Yellow fall color.

4. London Plane - These are a cross between the American Sycamore and the Oriental Plane Tree. London crept into the name because they were just about the only tree that would grow in London during their industrial revolution (think pollution). These are tough trees. These are the trees with the mottled bark that looks like camouflage so there's a bit of interest year-round. They get big. Drought tolerant. Pale yellow fall color.

5. Pin Oak - Fast grower. The acorns make a mess in the fall but the squirrels love them. Oaks tend to like acidic soil and the minerals that leech from the sidewalks make the soil basic. These seem to be able to handle it though as there are scads of them out there. No tap root. Scarlet/maroon/brown fall color. The dead leaves cling on the tree all winter giving the appearance the tree is dead but it's not. They heave sidewalks more than most trees on this list.

6. Honey Locust - Most of the ones planted in the city are the thornless/podless variety. Another drought tolerant tree which made it a popular choice at one time. Fernlike leaves don't make much mess. Nice yellow fall color. Somewhat boring but they will grow in a tree pit.

7. Zelkova - These were supposed to be a suitable replacement for the American elm after Dutch elm disease nearly wiped them all out. They don't get as tall or spread as much so much of the wow factor isn't there. Yellow/orange/red fall color, sometimes all on the same tree. The fall color can be vibrant (usually better than average for JC) but you just don't know what you'll get. If they bred these for consistent fall color they might have a hit but an OK street tree otherwise.

7. Norway Maple - Considered invasive in parts of the US but that's not a problem in the city. They do good in the tree pits but they struggle a bit when we have a hot spell. Fast grower. Yellow fall color.

8. Red maple - Red maples need more water then your average street tree so these are not an optimal choice but they're out there along with the Norway maples. They've been breeding red maples for drought tolerance and spectacular fall color. If you're at Lowes/HD and have your heart set on a maple then go for one of the named varieties (red sunset, etc.) . Yellow-red fall color. Fast grower.

9. Japanese Pagoda Tree - White blooms in June after most other trees have stopped blooming. Fernlike leaves don't make a mess in the fall. Seed pods aren't too obnoxious. Yellow fall color. Spreading canopy. Not much bad to say about these.

10. Ginkgo - Grows tall but doesn't spread much. People love them or hate them. Lemony yellow fall color.

11. Flowering Plum - People love them for the pink flowers and purple leaves but these are the second-most dead tree out there. Lots planted, not many make it. May be good if you plan of taking care of your tree. Not good just to forget it after the planting. Good for under power lines.

-----

OK, sot that's not 10 but those the common JC street trees. Here's some comments on the $50 trees offered by the city not in the list above:

Scarlet Oak = Pin Oak .

Autumn Cherry - These will flower in the fall/winter during warm spells. I'm not sure if these will do well in a tree pit. Doesn't get tall. Good for under power lines

Green Pillar Oak - I don't know anything about these.

European Hornbeam - The few I've seen out there were dense and narrow, more like a hedge. I guess they'd be OK if you want to block people from looking into your home as they drive by. I don't know how they'll look when mature.

-----

And here are some comments on the seeds I collected this fall:

Eastern Redbud - I actually found two of these growing in pits in Paulus Hook. Nice pink flowers in the spring. Heart shaped leaves. Doesn't get tall. Pale yellow fall color. Will require regular pruning when young to get a single trunked tree. Lowes has these for a reasonable price. Many make it to the discount period.

Mimosa - Fernlike leaves. Puffy pink flowers in the summer. Spreading canopy. These have a tropical look to them. Short-lived (~25 yrs). Invasive in the southern US but not much of a problem here.

White Birch - I got these seeds in LSP. A pioneer species that may be good for things like vacant lots. Birches need more water than average and probably won't do well as a street tree.

Black Locust - Another LSP pioneer. These and the white birches obviously can handle crappy soil. Nice white flowers in the spring. Fernlike leaves. Invasive roots. Again, probably better for a vacant lot but will do good by the street if no pipes are nearby.

Kentucky Coffee Tree - The locusts, mimosa, pagoda tree and this one are all legumes with fernlike leaves and seed pods. These are pretty similar but the seed pods are on the large side but like the others they will do well near the street. Look for Kentucky coffee trees on Warren St. across from the post office. I think the pods are still hanging. The "coffee" they used to make from the seeds was found to be poisonous.

-----

OK, so I did alot of research to find a tree that's not on every block and will survive in a 2' square pit. You may be asking what got planted. I planted Autumn Blaze Maples.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Free Trees for Arbor Day 2007! This program is closed.

For Free Trees from the NJ Community Forestry Program
go to this link to have your neighborhood association or group order trees:

Seedling Order Form

Schools, local governments, tree groups, non-profit organizations, scout groups, and any volunteer organization may apply for the free trees. All planting must occur on public lands, be done by volunteers and maintained for two years.

There are many ways the trees can be used to beautify your neighborhood. Trees can be planted in a vacant lot to create an urban forest, planted as a windbreak for a community garden or at a school, planted in a nursery, or trees can be planted randomly throughout a park or cemetery.

Mail to:
New Jersey Forest Service Order No. ________
Community Forestry Program Date form rec'd __/___/_
PO Box 404 Date shipped __/___/_
Trenton, New Jersey 08625 Check # $_______

Please Type or Print Clearly
Municipality (where trees will be planted): _______________________________________
Organization:_________________________________________________________
Contact Name:________________________________________________________
Title:________________________________________________________________
Address (No PO Box):__________________________________________________
City, State, Zip:_______________________________________________________
Phone:______________________________________________________________
Incomplete forms will not be processed.

Shipping
(CIRCLE ONE)
*UPS UPS orders will be sent the week of your celebration
PICK UP Pick up orders will be available 4 days before your celebration

HOW WILL YOUR TUBE-SEEDLINGS BE USED AND HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL BE INVOLVED?

~~Trees are to be used by groups and organizations for ARBOR DAY and Environmental Projects ONLY~~

DATE OF CELEBRATION
PLEASE NOTE:
ORDER BY: April 6, 2007
***No fax or late orders accepted - order early supplies are limited ***
-- If we are Unable to Fill Your Order we will Call YOU--
Office Use Only

QUANTITY(Circle one) 98

DESCRIPTION OF TREES
Norway Spruce/ White Pine/ Douglas Fir/ Red Oak/ N. White Cedar
while supplies last - no choice

AMOUNT~ FREE ~

*Shipping
$ 6.00 for 98 tube-seedlings
*Please make checks/payment vouchers payable to:
State of New Jersey, Forest Service

Directions for Pickup Orders in Jackson Township
From the Turnpike, exit 7A. Take 195E
From the Parkway, exit 98. Take 195W
On 195, take exit 21 (527S) Go about 5 miles.
The Forest Resource Education Center/Tree Nursery is
on Rte 527/528 on right side.Pick up at Greenhouse

Questions? call (609) 292-2532

Posted on: 2007/3/5 17:32
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jim399, I'm on the 6th St block that recently lost those three trees. I also was a little annoyed to see them go (the two live ones anyway), but I know the guys who initiated the action and they were basically doing so for safety reasons. The dying one, obviously, was a risk to be blown over one day. The other two, from what I was told, were a type (I forget the name) whose root base covered a fairly small volume relative to their height and above-ground weight and were also considered a danger to be blown over eventually. How valid all this is I have no real idea, but in any case the driving force wasn't just to remove trees for the sake of removing them. Personally, I would've taken the risk and enjoyed the trade-off of the leaf cover but then, my building isn't one that would've suffered damage if one or both were toppled.

The brutal pruning of the Polish Vet's Hall yard is another matter. That should be a gorgeous building/property but looks pretty miserable.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jim399 wrote:
Please Stop Cutting Down Trees in JC

- Trees are good for real estate prices ? ever wondered why upscale neighborhoods are often described as ?leafy?? It isn?t a coincidence.
- Trees just look good.

Thanks.

Suggestion:

Hold a Block Party/Tree Fundraiser.

Sell cookies, M&M's, soders, etc. Buy $50 trees. Water/rinse/repeat.

Been done before to great affect Downtown.

-M

Posted on: 2007/3/5 16:00
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sinik wrote:

Apart from absorbing CO2, trees also emit the much more influential greenhouse gas, methane. De-forestation between 1990 and 2000 may actually be responsible for the observed slowing of methane flows to the atmosphere.

"We now have the spectre that new forests might increase greenhouse warming through methane emissions rather than decrease it by being sinks for CO2," - New Zealand atmospheric scientist Dr. David Lowe

So I guess that the process of photosynthesis is a load of crap too!

But I like the use of the word 'might', just like the alternative 'might not'.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 15:50
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:

To compliment your list:

-Trees get old and need to be removed before they fall on us. They need to be replaced periodically with new ones.

-Trees need to be pruned to promote healthy growth and provide sunlight to plant life under their canopies.

-Trees need to have a variety of species growing near each other, so if disease strikes a single group, you do not lose the entire environment.

Jersey City ?Parks and Deforestry? was presented with an awarded for replacing and planting more new trees last year then any other municipality in NJ.

Hamilton Tree Co., who pruned HP and Van Vorst Park are professionals, not amateurs; they understand the necessity of reduction in order to produce healthy growth. Observe how HP looks this spring when the new growth comes in.

If you want a target for your concern, try PSEG, they have no concept of how to remove growth on street trees and balance safety with esthetics.

That should be "complement," as in a complementary angle. "Compliment" would be, "Hey, nice list."

As for the city's $50 tree planting deal, while there are some kinks in it, it's a killer deal. The tree we had planted nine years ago must have tapped into the sewer system or something, because it's now taller than our house.

My own personal most disliked tree: those ornamental pear trees in HP. They shed branches just about every storm, and their flowers smell like dog crap. I would love to see them culled out and replaced with a greater variety of other trees.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 15:37
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sinik wrote:
Quote:

jim399 wrote:
In the meantime, please remember that aside from being the only cure for global warming, trees offer us some direct economic benefits:

Apart from absorbing CO2, trees also emit the much more influential greenhouse gas, methane. De-forestation between 1990 and 2000 may actually be responsible for the observed slowing of methane flows to the atmosphere.

Those stupid stupid trees.

I love it. Humans cause 2/3 of the methane in the atmosphere, but since trees cause 1/3, cutting more of them down would be the best policy at this point. Makes sense to me. Balance of nature, shmalance of nature.

"But the concentration of methane in the atmosphere has almost tripled in the last 150 years, mainly through human-influenced so-called biogenic sources such as the rise in rice cultivation or numbers of flatulent ruminating animals. According to previous estimates, these sources make up two-thirds of the 600m tonnes worldwide annual methane production."

Global warming: blame the trees

Posted on: 2007/3/5 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
as an ex biology nerd, as well as working full time for a tree service pruning and removing trees in NJ for over a year, I have a few things to add...

I worked for a wonderful group of guys, a small company out of Warren, NJ, and they taught me quite a bit about the science of cutting/pruning trees. they also spent much of their time talking about how stupid and silly half the jobs were that we did on a daily basis, because so often the jobs we were hired to do were a result of bad planning on the city, or a home owner who didn't know what he was doing.

For one, there are many great points raised so far on this thread.

Tree diversity is definitely key, especially in a city, because city trees just have it tougher. They are also in a less than desireable, less natural environment so to speak, meaning they obviously would do better in an open field, forest, near a lake, etc.

With that said, there are certain trees that just fare better in cities. Unfortunately, many cities just start on this crazy planting spree, planting whatever looks good or what they like, they don't know how to plant them or how much space to leave between each one, how high the tree will grow, sunlight exposure, the width of it's canopy, and the result......people that live in the area, or like you already said, PSE&G, comes around and mutilates the tree because it is becoming a nuisance.

If the trees were planned better before planting, that being, the species of tree, location of its planting with keen consideration of adjacent structures, etc., you wouldn't have such a high occurence of tree hacking in JC, or the rest of NJ, for that matter. Not to mention, all it takes is one bad prune, one bad cut into a trees' main secondary branches, and you just smoked the tree.

Unfortunately, most "city-friendly" trees are not the most desireable to look at. Sure, a nice, big White Oak is a magnificent sight, but the only place it makes sense to put one of those babies is smack in the middle of the park where it will have adequate room, not to mention, you better keep it away from any concrete structures like adjacent sidewalks, basketball courts, or even playgrounds, because with big beautiful trees comes big beautiful roots that act like Tremors underground (without the people eating part).

Bottom line, cities are crowded, and not the ideal place for a tree, so if you want to have nice trees, they take ALOT of work and routine prunings to maintain and keep them strong, and with the constant developments going up all over JC, it is impossible to plan out where to plant a tree if when it finally starts to mature and become a real nice tree 15-20 years later, there's a condominium complex going up right next to it, resulting in either a crappy prune job or a complete removal.

Of that list earlier, if I may:

Black Locust: They are "ok" looking, but make an absolute mess when the seeds come out...you ever seen those huge, ugly seed pods they leave all over the ground, like 16" string beans? Good thing they started making city friendly, hybrid black locusts, the natural species of them has 3" spikes growing all over it, enough to take an eye out. I think I left atleast 3 pints of blood in Somerset County pruning those suckers. They are strong though, and is why you see so many of them in cities, but they can get big, usually bigger than anticipated.

Zelkova and Gingko: an upright, ugly tree.

Plum: very sensitive trees, usually crap out after a bad rain season.

Red Bud: impractical. beautiful, but impractical.

White Birch: they're ugly. and tacky.

London Plain: I personally like the London Plain's, but they're definitely becoming a me-too tree, just like the locust species. Also, they are strong, fast growers, and usually get too big and eventually hacked up by the power company. Flowering pears are one of my favorites, but again, a me-too tree these days.

My suggestion, if you have some property, research some trees, find something you know will fit there when it is fully matured, and learn how to prune it. Oh, and hope an apt. building won't be built there, too...haha.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 14:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/29 21:11
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
There have been various free tree plans in Jersey City in recent years. I know around 20 trees were planted on Sherman Place in late 2005, compliments of various agencies.** I believe blocks around Lincoln Park -- where residents spearheaded these efforts -- have gotten more trees.

The New Jersey Tree Foundation sponsored this program. A Weichert realtor named Dan Pelosi was instrumental in hooking up JC with the Foundation.

**For our part, we had to provide bags of mulch and help out with physically planting the tree. In return we got healthy, fairly big trees (mine was around 5 years old, if I recall correctly). This program really was terrific.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 14:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/29 10:29
Group:
Banned
that was the most current application i could find. i don't believe there is a newer one. maybe someone on the deforestation board could help?

Posted on: 2007/3/5 13:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

missa wrote:
if you feel strongly about having trees around, you could buy a tree for the street you live on, provided that you will care for the tree. where ever you see an empty "block" of sidewalk, there is an opportunity for a tree to grow.

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/dpw/tree_planting.html

The $50 they charge is a fantastic deal if they're still doing it, Those applications are from 2005. You have to be the property owner (or get their permission) to participate though.

Out of their selections, there are a ton of the following growing in the city already:

Kwanzaan Cherry
Zelkova
Flowering Plum
Scarlet Oak
Little Leaf Linden

Unfortunately, that doesn't leave many choices.

The trees at Home Depot and Lowes go on deep discount (~50%) in July and they're practically giving them away by September. You can go and write down all the names they have, research them for something suitable for your location and go back. They're not as big as the trees the city plants but you can get something that's not on every block if you're lucky.

I picked up the followig tree seeds this autumn from around the city. If anyone wants to try to grow a tree from scratch I can pass some on to you:

Honey Locust
Easten Redbud
White Birch
Ginkgo
Black Locust
Mimosa
London Plane Tree
Kentucky Coffee Tree

Posted on: 2007/3/5 13:00

Edited by Hurtle on 2007/3/5 13:15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jim399 wrote:
I don?t know what it is that makes people dislike trees so much.

One word, boy-o: paper.

Paper comes from trees.

Paper is the bane of my existance.

On a more serious note, I second Parkman's comments about the sustainable use of trees.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jim399 wrote:
In the meantime, please remember that aside from being the only cure for global warming, trees offer us some direct economic benefits:

Posted on: 2007/3/5 12:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe that the powers that be, are cutting trees down just to upset residents.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 12:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/29 10:29
Group:
Banned
if you feel strongly about having trees around, you could buy a tree for the street you live on, provided that you will care for the tree. where ever you see an empty "block" of sidewalk, there is an opportunity for a tree to grow.

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/dpw/tree_planting.html

Posted on: 2007/3/5 11:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jim399 wrote:

This is a plea to all residents and property owners in Hamilton Park and Downtown, particularly those in the region of the park and the block bordered by Erie, Jersey, and Sixth and Seventh Streets. Folks ? please stop cutting down trees in our neighborhood.

This interior of this block alone has lost four major trees (all at least three floors high) and several minor ones, mainly from the properties in the vicinity of 238 Sixth Street. Yes, one of these trees was ailing, but the rest were not. A decent sized tree was lost from the backyard of the Jasco-operated building on Erie Street (and then the yard was paved over ? classy!). And the Polish community center at the corner of Jersey and Sixth trimmed the trees on its lot so that they look like branchless sticks. Last year Erie Street lost one of its major trees from the sidewalk in front of that property that is constantly under renovation (you know, the one with the makeshift wooden staircase). Then, before winter, the trees of Hamilton Park were all trimmed in such an amateurish manner it looks like a joke ? some of those trees are more than four floors high but they only have two branches. St. Mary?s Church on Third Street took down the large trees in front of its building, and has yet to replace them. And there are countless empty or paved-over tree pits that the J.C. Division of Parks and Deforestry is, of course, doing nothing about.

I don?t know what it is that makes people dislike trees so much. But if you?d like to know what the city would look or feel like without them, take the PATH to Newark ? they got rid of their trees a long time ago.

- Trees lower the water table when their roots suck water out of the ground, and they lessen flood risk because their leaves slow, or stop, water from reaching the ground in heavy rain. (Given that we live on a flood plain at sea level less than a mile from the river, those two points are something we should think seriously about.)
- Trees provide shade in our increasingly hot summers.
- Trees actually cool the air around them in hot weather because the water inside their branches and leaves remains cooler than the air around them ? thus sucking heat out of the air and lowering the AC bills of any building in their shade.
- Trees are good for real estate prices ? ever wondered why upscale neighborhoods are often described as ?leafy?? It isn?t a coincidence.
- Trees just look good.

Thanks.
To compliment your list:

-Trees get old and need to be removed before they fall on us. They need to be replaced periodically with new ones.

-Trees need to be pruned to promote healthy growth and provide sunlight to plant life under their canopies.

-Trees need to have a variety of species growing near each other, so if disease strikes a single group, you do not lose the entire environment.

Jersey City ?Parks and Deforestry? was presented with an awarded for replacing and planting more new trees last year then any other municipality in NJ.

Hamilton Tree Co., who pruned HP and Van Vorst Park are professionals, not amateurs; they understand the necessity of reduction in order to produce healthy growth. Observe how HP looks this spring when the new growth comes in.

If you want a target for your concern, try PSEG, they have no concept of how to remove growth on street trees and balance safety with esthetics.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 3:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/17 22:54
Group:
Registered Users

This is a plea to all residents and property owners in Hamilton Park and Downtown, particularly those in the region of the park and the block bordered by Erie, Jersey, and Sixth and Seventh Streets. Folks ? please stop cutting down trees in our neighborhood.

This interior of this block alone has lost four major trees (all at least three floors high) and several minor ones, mainly from the properties in the vicinity of 238 Sixth Street. Yes, one of these trees was ailing, but the rest were not. A decent sized tree was lost from the backyard of the Jasco-operated building on Erie Street (and then the yard was paved over ? classy!). And the Polish community center at the corner of Jersey and Sixth trimmed the trees on its lot so that they look like branchless sticks. Last year Erie Street lost one of its major trees from the sidewalk in front of that property that is constantly under renovation (you know, the one with the makeshift wooden staircase). Then, before winter, the trees of Hamilton Park were all trimmed in such an amateurish manner it looks like a joke ? some of those trees are more than four floors high but they only have two branches. St. Mary?s Church on Third Street took down the large trees in front of its building, and has yet to replace them. And there are countless empty or paved-over tree pits that the J.C. Division of Parks and Deforestry is, of course, doing nothing about.

I don?t know what it is that makes people dislike trees so much. But if you?d like to know what the city would look or feel like without them, take the PATH to Newark ? they got rid of their trees a long time ago.

- Trees lower the water table when their roots suck water out of the ground, and they lessen flood risk because their leaves slow, or stop, water from reaching the ground in heavy rain. (Given that we live on a flood plain at sea level less than a mile from the river, those two points are something we should think seriously about.)
- Trees provide shade in our increasingly hot summers.
- Trees actually cool the air around them in hot weather because the water inside their branches and leaves remains cooler than the air around them ? thus sucking heat out of the air and lowering the AC bills of any building in their shade.
- Trees just look good.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 2:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017