Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Parking ticket worth fighting?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
It depends on how much the ticket is and how much your time is worth.

If the tickets are $55 (or similar) each, determine 2-4 hours out of the average person's work day is worth the cost if the judge actually dismisses them.

In the past when I've disputed tickets, they usually always get dismissed if you have a good story, photos, and present yourself well and are prepared.

I've witnessed older residents present the case against being ticketed for being double parked give excuses like "I was just bringing in groceries.." and the judge would reduce or dismiss them.

It takes a long chunk out of your day for the chance to save $50 - $100 or so. Over the past few years I've been written 3-4 really questionable tickets that I know I could get dismissed if I fought them, but I just paid them because my time is worth more than the cost of the ticket.

Posted on: 2019/4/19 5:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
the judge didn?t care that the ticket clearly showed that two hours had not elapsed. His reply to me was ?well, do you have proof that you did move the car and that it did not in fact stay past the two hour limit?? I was flabbergasted

That's awesome. Guilty till proven innocent! Go JC!!! FWIW big brother could have gotten you out of that ticket. I have Metromile insurance with a GPS dongle that tracks my every trip, and the time it was made. Think how fabulous that would have been to whip out the phone and show that prick you had left.

Guilty or innocent, we're just meat in their machine. I learned that for sure with the sanitation tickets.

Posted on: 2019/4/17 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
I was legally parked and got one a few weeks ago. I am not sure if this person did it to fill their quota or could not read the sign. I just paid it.

Posted on: 2019/4/17 10:45
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheUnderOver wrote:
Apparently the only way to appeal is to plead "Not guilty" and go to court (and pay court fines if you fail). Not worth the effort for me.

This. Also, despite what Robin suggested, fighting tickets here is nothing like in NYC. My experience in JC is that the wrong statute being quoted will not compel the judge to dismiss the ticket. I have had tickets in JC dismissed after showing photo proof that a PEO had done something incorrectly (ie, failed to notice my permit) but it is 100% on you to prove an infraction didn?t take place, and it has to be solid proof.

I once tried (and, failed) to have a ticket dismissed in which (I felt) the ticket itself had all the necessary facts to have it declared invalid and dismissed: I was dinged for a 2-hour zone violation, but the ticket was issued about 1:40 after the PEO had first observed the vehicle. If you ever get a parking zone violation ticket, you would know that the ticket includes both the time it was first observed and the time of ticket issuance. I went to court to fight the penalty and the judge didn?t care that the ticket clearly showed that two hours had not elapsed. His reply to me was ?well, do you have proof that you did move the car and that it did not in fact stay past the two hour limit?? I was flabbergasted. I had indeed moved the car and gone back home for the day, but how do you prove that you were home? I got stuck paying the ticket AND the court costs.

Posted on: 2019/4/17 6:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/30 19:47
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently the only way to appeal is to plead "Not guilty" and go to court (and pay court fines if you fail). Not worth the effort for me.

Posted on: 2019/4/16 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Fight it, it will be dismissed if you can show there is something wrong on the ticket. I had one dismissed in NYC because the traffic warden had written "Volk" (Volkswagen) instead of Volvo on the ticket, everything else on the ticket was correct.

I didn't even have to appear in person, nyc has a system for appealing tickets by mail!

Robin.

Posted on: 2019/4/16 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
As Lenny Bruce's Mom was reputed to have said to her wayward son: "Pay the two dollars Lenny".

Posted on: 2019/4/16 16:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/1 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
you parked illegally and received a ticket. pay the ticket.

Posted on: 2019/4/16 13:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Basically, yes.

I'm aware that I broke the law by parking in these zones, despite the fact that I've parked in them dozens of times before without issue. I know that doesn't excuse it and I should probably pay on the basis of that alone. I always just assumed they didn't enforce the signs because no other rules are being broken.

If I violated anything it looks like it would be NJ code 39-4-138g, which prohibits parking "In any appropriately marked "No Parking" space established pursuant to the duly promulgated regulations of the Commissioner of Transportation".

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2009/title-39/39-4/39-4-138

Honestly I'm probably just going to pay it. I have a feeling I'd win as long as the ticketing officer doesn't show up, but I don't think it's worth the effort and risk and time off work. I did something wrong regardless.

Posted on: 2019/4/16 13:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Want to make sure I'm following.

You parked in a "no parking anytime zone"
You rec'd 2 overnight parking tickets
The ticket itself is not congruent to the code of violation printed on said ticket.
There are "no parking anytime" signs however.
You feel it may be worth "fighting the ticket" because the officer cited you on a code that doesn't pertain to your offense.
Something to do with cones.

Posted on: 2019/4/16 13:03

Parking ticket worth fighting?

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived downtown for over a year and have never really had a problem with parking until recently. I have a residential parking permit and commute to work via car, so I don't have to worry about street cleaning rules.

In the past week, I've received two separate overnight tickets under Jersey City's code "332-22", which you can read below:

https://library.municode.com/nj/jersey ... IIIPASTST_S332-22PAPRALTI

Basically it lists out several designated areas where parking is not allowed at any time. Important to note that the spots I parked (both around the corner of 9th and Jersey) are NOT listed under this code, and they are spots I've parked in many times before without trouble.

However, strictly speaking, I was in violation of certain "NO PARKING ANY TIME -->" signs. The first one, my car was fully in a "NO PARKING ANY TIME" zone. The second one, my car was less than halfway in the zone. Both times, I was not blocking any driveways, fire hydrants, bus stops, or crosswalks. I figured these tickets were not worth fighting because I was in violation of these signs, so I didn't take any pictures.

But now that I think about it, why was I written up for a 332-22 if I didn't violate any of the rules spelled out in the code itself? Is it worth fighting for this reason, especially considering the ticket doesn't say anything about the signs? The tickets clearly state where the violations occurred, which I could plainly show the judge are NOT in the areas listed in code 332-22. The question is if it's even worth my time and risking having to pay court fees and taking time off of work.

(Worth noting that in both of these spots, they have pylons set up which I always assumed were to deter people from parking too close to the intersection. I also incorrectly assumed that these pylons would form the effective barrier after which you can be ticketed. The answer is nope, the pylons don't designate anything and the sign apparently rules supreme. The locations of the pylons mean nothing.)

Posted on: 2019/4/16 12:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017