Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Port Authority tests new security scanners at WTC PATH station
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

biggoron wrote:
Besides the Security Theater aspect of it, what really gets me is the representative of the company (Chris McLaughlin from Evolv Edge) states that 200 scanners "isn't practical". You'd think he would try to sell more then the PA needs.

This seems like some sick joke on the part of the Port Authority. Not unexpected either.

It's all part of the scam, need to demonstrate they thought this plan through. Just like Trenton floating the idea that a 50 cent gas tax hike is needed... then we feel better when it is only 40 cents. Look what our elected officials did to help the citizens and earn their bloated salaries.

Posted on: 2018/5/11 18:37

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
PATH finds every way to waste money and not improve service.
All this pointless "security" and the 33rd st st trains still stop in Hoboken on the weekends.

Posted on: 2018/5/11 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Is it something like out of the movie Total Recall ('90s version)?

My thought exactly. Science fiction becomes reality if you wait long enough.. :)

Posted on: 2018/5/11 14:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/15 4:12
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Besides the Security Theater aspect of it, what really gets me is the representative of the company (Chris McLaughlin from Evolv Edge) states that 200 scanners "isn't practical". You'd think he would try to sell more then the PA needs.

This seems like some sick joke on the part of the Port Authority. Not unexpected either.

Posted on: 2018/5/11 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
You are right about using them entry/exit gates. The PA is citing they are easy for passengers to just walk through... If those gates can easily manage the 125K daily traffic flow, adding scanners should be no problem.

The real point has been made... to harden the system, you would need them at every station and you would need PATH Police right there when they are triggered 7x24x365.

Hate to say it, but it seems to be overboard. I think the random checkpoint/searches are just as effective with high security/law enforcement presence. Also think the WTC/Oculus is a more high risk target.

Quote:

srs7191 wrote:
Why would it take 200 units? Why not just integrate them into the ticket gates?

If the tech is good, let's replace the TSA with these machines.

The website claims 600 people per unit per hour, and no need to empty pockets. Would be nice to get comfort and speed at airport security.

Posted on: 2018/5/11 12:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/3 13:26
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

mpwJC wrote:
Quote:

srs7191 wrote:

The website claims 600 people per unit per hour, and no need to empty pockets. Would be nice to get comfort and speed at airport security.
I'm not following the math for 200 units either. At peak rush hour from 5-6 pm on weekdays, a little over 14k people enter the WTC PATH station. At 600 people per unit per hour, that would mean 24 units would be required to manage that volume. I'm not at all in favor of this kind of "security" measure being installed in the PATH system, but the math doesn't add up.

Your math is correct, but its application is completely off. While 24 units could, in theory, process 14K people in hour, that presumes that one can control the manner in which those 14K subjects are fed into the system.

If each machine can process 600 people every hour, that means it could theoretically process 10 individuals every minute, or one every six seconds. The reality is that, during rush hour, the same space may be occupied by 4, 5, or even 6, different people in a six second period. People at WTC move along in a manner similar to ants, following the person ahead almost immediately behind them. There is likely something like a one or two second separation. As such, if you take the 24 number you derived, and multiply it by 6, you end up at 144. 200 is not overkill, as such a system would need to have some redundancy built into it.

In any case, I hate the idea on principle alone. I find it unnerving to see so many policemen, and military personnel, stationed at WTC and 33rd street, and I rue the fact that we have allowed a police state mentality to take over our daily lives. I have spoken with friends who have told me, in no uncertain terms, that they actually don't feel safe at a station if they don't see police or military personnel deployed on site. Not too long ago, we used to thumb our nose at pretty much every other country in the world because of their use of national ID cards, and here in this region people seem to clamor for more police, more military, more random inspections, more of the security theater nonsense we have come to accept as normal and necessary.
Of course you wouldn't want to use the absolute bare minimum number of scanners but I still think 200 would be overkill.

The PA would have to control the manner people entered the system. What is the point of bomb and weapon scanners if there aren't humans there to evaluate and eliminate the threat if one were to arise? So we would need people monitoring the scanners and making sure commuters are entering the scanners in an orderly fashion. Otherwise what is the point? I guess the scanners could be automated to blare sirens while the threat runs through or around them and into the PATH station anyway.

The fact is that if someone really wants to commit an evil act in public, there is very little that can stop them once they have a weapon and are in public. All of this security is for peace of mind for people who don't want to spend more than a couple seconds thinking about how effective any of it really is.

Posted on: 2018/5/11 2:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/13 22:07
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
[quote]
mpwJC wrote:

Your math is correct, but its application is completely off. While 24 units could, in theory, process 14K people in hour, that presumes that one can control the manner in which those 14K subjects are fed into the system.

If each machine can process 600 people every hour, that means it could theoretically process 10 individuals every minute, or one every six seconds. The reality is that, during rush hour, the same space may be occupied by 4, 5, or even 6, different people in a six second period. People at WTC move along in a manner similar to ants, following the person ahead almost immediately behind them. There is likely something like a one or two second separation. As such, if you take the 24 number you derived, and multiply it by 6, you end up at 144. 200 is not overkill, as such a system would need to have some redundancy built into it.

In any case, I hate the idea on principle alone. I find it unnerving to see so many policemen, and military personnel, stationed at WTC and 33rd street, and I rue the fact that we have allowed a police state mentality to take over our daily lives. I have spoken with friends who have told me, in no uncertain terms, that they actually don't feel safe at a station if they don't see police or military personnel deployed on site. Not too long ago, we used to thumb our nose at pretty much every other country in the world because of their use of national ID cards, and here in this region people seem to clamor for more police, more military, more random inspections, more of the security theater nonsense we have come to accept as normal and necessary.

The police officers in 33rd and WTC will hopefully disappear when the PA's finances go completely down the toilet, and they won't be able to pay 300k in overtime anymore.

This tech could, in theory, reduce the presence of police officers. The reason why I suggested it for airport security is because I personally feel like the TSA is the most grotesque example of the world you're describing.

I'm originally from the UK. My parents have been describing the situation since the various terrorist attacks in London over the past couple years. There's armed patrols walking in towns and villages across the country now. I'm not talking handguns in holsters, either, I'm talking this - http://talkradio.co.uk/sites/talkradi ... 8181768.jpg?itok=v9N9KWMd - walking along highstreets and tourist attractions.

Posted on: 2018/5/11 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mpwJC wrote:
Quote:

srs7191 wrote:

I'm not following the math for 200 units either. At peak rush hour from 5-6 pm on weekdays, a little over 14k people enter the WTC PATH station. At 600 people per unit per hour, that would mean 24 units would be required to manage that volume. I'm not at all in favor of this kind of "security" measure being installed in the PATH system, but the math doesn't add up.

Posted on: 2018/5/10 23:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

srs7191 wrote:

Posted on: 2018/5/10 23:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/13 22:07
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/5/10 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Is it something like out of the movie Total Recall ('90s version)?

Posted on: 2018/5/10 21:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Pointless security theater that will do nothing to improve safety but would definitely cause disruption in the lives of law-abiding citizens.

What is stopping someone from using a weapon inside the Oculus before entering the PATH system? Or if they're hellbent on train destruction, they can simply enter the PATH system from one of the NJ-side stations that are too small and congested to possibly install these scanners.

Posted on: 2018/5/10 18:22

Port Authority tests new security scanners at WTC PATH station
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Port Authority tests new security scanners at WTC PATH station

POSTED 7:25 AM, MAY 10, 2018, BY KIRSTIN COLE AND ASHLEY SOLEY-CERRO, UPDATED AT 08:30AM, MAY 10, 2018

MANHATTAN ? The Port Authority is testing new security scanners at the World Trade Center PATH station Thursday and Friday in order to evaluate its latest potential resource to detect firearms, explosives and other weapons.

The so-called Evolv Edge, a "high-tech body scanning unit" meant to detect detect firearms, explosives and other weapons, will be tested Thursday and Friday at the WTC PATH site from 8 - 10 a.m. and 4 - 6 p.m.

Public participation in the testing is completely voluntary, according to Port Authority officials.

?The idea behind this pilot program is to evaluate another resource available to us in the effort to ensure the continuing protection and security of the traveling public,? Port Authority Chief Security Officer John Bilich said.

The "pilot security screening program" is "part of the Port Authority?s ongoing evaluation of new technology to ensure the highest level of safety for the traveling public across all agency facilities," officials said.

The Evolv Edge can screen up to 600 people per hour. About 250,000 commuters ? 125,000 each way ? pass through the World Trade Center PATH station every day, however.

The station would need about 200 scanners to screen every commuter.

Chris McLaughlin, with Evolv Edge, tells PIX11 that isn't practical, and although the way in which scanners are used is up to Port Authority officials, his advise is to use fewer scanners and move them around in order to randomly screen people.

The scanners, McLaughlin points out, can be set up within minutes.

Commuters can also pass through the scanners with coffee and hand, and keys, phones and other common objects in their pockets, McLaughlin said.

Whether or not commuters will need to show officials their purses and large bags will be up to Port Authority officials.

When asked if the extra security measure is worth the potential slowdown it may cause commuters, several locals told PIX11 it is.

"I mean, the commute sucks as it is now, with just the trains and the delays, but it?s a preventative thing. If something happens, everybody?s gonna go, why wasn?t more put in place?" Juvember Andrews, of Jersey City, said.

The scanners are already set-up at stadiums, performance centers and airports across the country, and have previously been tested at the Port Authority Police Department headquarters in Jersey City.

http://pix11.com/2018/05/10/port-auth ... ners-at-wtc-path-station/

Posted on: 2018/5/10 13:25

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017