Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Choosing a Jersey City High School: A Roadmap for Parents and Students
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
SRhia, it may be my knowledge is old but someone high up in McNair administration said "5 things"...just make sure the 5 slots are filled. They don't care what it is. One is not better than another.

Posted on: 2016/4/11 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Wow, Brewster, we clearly have different sources. I was told the PSAT is a full 60%. Given what i know about my kids' grades versus performance on standardized tests, that 60% number makes sense to me.

And maybe times have changed, because there was no essay for McNair.

PSAT, grades, extra curriculars (list 5, and you're done) and teacher recommendations, signed by the principal. I know one kid who didn't get in because his app was missing that signature.

We were told by a tutor who makes it her business to know these things. And there's definitely an essay now. I don't think the extracurriculars are particularly important, my daughter did not have much. She had quit dance & music in 7th grade to focus on Bat Mitzvah prep.

Posted on: 2016/4/10 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
What counts as "extra curriculars"??? I assume sports, music and other "academics" (such as chess) count, but are there others that I'm not thinking of?

Also, does it count if you're taking classes in that subject, or you have to compete? e.g. taking weekly chess classes vs going on chess tournaments???

And are there better "extra curriculars" than others? E.g. sports is better than music??? Tournament is better than plain classes?

Posted on: 2016/4/10 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, Brewster, we clearly have different sources. I was told the PSAT is a full 60%. Given what i know about my kids' grades versus performance on standardized tests, that 60% number makes sense to me.

And maybe times have changed, because there was no essay for McNair.

PSAT, grades, extra curriculars (list 5, and you're done) and teacher recommendations, signed by the principal. I know one kid who didn't get in because his app was missing that signature.

Posted on: 2016/4/10 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Move. There are still too many parents and families who do not set their students up for going to school in Jersey City. Student performance starts at home.

This is a district where the parents that come in for parent/teacher conference day/night are never the the parents of students who need to come in. So much time of class is dedicated to management that instruction takes a back seat.

Posted on: 2016/4/9 5:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
McNair admissions formula puts a weighted emphasis on the PSAT score. A straight A student who does not do well on this test is at a disadvantage against an A/B student who scores well on the PSAT.

Actually, we've been told the opposite. That grades count for more than the test. It was something like grades 40%, test 20% essay 15%.

Posted on: 2016/4/9 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
As Ferris got a 1 out of 10 on greatschool and is ranked 370th of all high schools in NJ by schooldigger I would be seriously question sending my kid there.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the link DanL.

I've read the article several times by now - it lists all the available HSs in the area. however, which ones would people recommend? Eg I know McNair is very good, and from the "food fights" that I've heard about, I should probably cross Ferris off my list?

Posted on: 2016/4/8 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
McNair admissions formula puts a weighted emphasis on the PSAT score. A straight A student who does not do well on this test is at a disadvantage against an A/B student who scores well on the PSAT.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
I know several kids that have half A's and half B's who weren't very good testers but got in. They were from Academy I middle school.

The admissions know the curriculum at A1 & MS4 is more challenging, they're a year ahead in math among other things. That math lead makes a big difference in what courses you can take at McNair.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I know several kids that have half A's and half B's who weren't very good testers but got in. They were from Academy I middle school.

Quote:

pattyb wrote:
Not to be a Debbie Downer but our son did not get into any of the top/good public schools and he is an all B and A student. We built the portfolio and dutifully dropped it off at all the schools, took all the tests and followed the application schedules. Had a tutor for about 6 months prior to McNair test. The only kids we know that got into all or any of the schools have always been straight A students.

We were so disappointed when he didn't get in anywhere. (except private schools that are very expensive) He loves school and it seems like a bummer that we live in JC but can't send our son to a good public school just because he is not a straight A or perfect student. He loves school and is well rounded with participation in lots of activities, sports etc.

My rec would be to get tutors starting in 6th grade, Start prepping for McNair test with a tutor a year or more before the test. This is what I would do if I had known the truth.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Just pull an Elizabeth Warren and claim he's a minority. Probably have a drop of minority blood in you somewhere down the line. That will do the trick.

Helped her get into Harvard.

Just make sure you pick the government preferred minority, otherwise it will be harder to get in.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
that is the point of the article and subject of this thread - http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... for-parents-and-students/

if your child is already in the public schools, the guidance department at their school will assist. the public and public charters schools are free.

there are a variety of programs available in most of the public high schools that do not have a hyper focus on academics. the purpose of the article was to provide information on what is available.

there are many different perspectives on schooling in JC, most of which is rather subjective.

Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Besides the question below on where to get good prep classes / tutors, can someone also suggest where are good resources to read up on how to prepare, and apply to high schools?

Both my husband and myself are immigrants so we never went through the process ourselves. We feel like there's so much we don't know, would love to know if there are resources (online, books, discussion groups, etc) that we can use to research to get a better understanding of what's going on on prepping, applying, getting financial aid, etc, and how to get an edge (if there's any!!!).

TIA.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 3:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Besides the question below on where to get good prep classes / tutors, can someone also suggest where are good resources to read up on how to prepare, and apply to high schools?

Both my husband and myself are immigrants so we never went through the process ourselves. We feel like there's so much we don't know, would love to know if there are resources (online, books, discussion groups, etc) that we can use to research to get a better understanding of what's going on on prepping, applying, getting financial aid, etc, and how to get an edge (if there's any!!!).

TIA.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pattyb wrote:
Not to be a Debbie Downer but our son did not get into any of the top/good public schools and he is an all B and A student. We built the portfolio and dutifully dropped it off at all the schools, took all the tests and followed the application schedules. Had a tutor for about 6 months prior to McNair test. The only kids we know that got into all or any of the schools have always been straight A students.

We were so disappointed when he didn't get in anywhere. (except private schools that are very expensive) He loves school and it seems like a bummer that we live in JC but can't send our son to a good public school just because he is not a straight A or perfect student. He loves school and is well rounded with participation in lots of activities, sports etc.

My rec would be to get tutors starting in 6th grade, Start prepping for McNair test with a tutor a year or more before the test. This is what I would do if I had known the truth.

Just pull an Elizabeth Warren and claim he's a minority. Probably have a drop of minority blood in you somewhere down the line. That will do the trick.

Helped her get into Harvard.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

pattyb wrote:

You applied to County Prep right? They don't work through their waiting list till months from now. They have a stupid system.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 1:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/20 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
The season is just about over for this game. Lets be sure to bring this back up in September when people can do something about it for their 8th graders.

But if your 7th grader aspires to McNair, start PSAT prep NOW!!!

Any recommendations regarding PSAT tutors / prep classes?

Posted on: 2016/4/8 0:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/24 0:38
From Hamilton Park Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/7 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The season is just about over for this game. Lets be sure to bring this back up in September when people can do something about it for their 8th graders.

But if your 7th grader aspires to McNair, start PSAT prep NOW!!!

Posted on: 2016/4/7 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

since jersey city schools came up in the reval discussion, I thought to bring this back up- http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... for-parents-and-students/

it covers high schools, and hopefully there will be a part two about middle schools which will include AEP, Hope, Infinity, Explorer 2000, METS Charter and more.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 17:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/16 20:18
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for posting this information. It's a real service to parents when they can see all of their options in one place.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 0:07

Choosing a Jersey City High School: A Roadmap for Parents and Students
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... for-parents-and-students/

Choosing a Jersey City High School: A Roadmap for Parents and Students

March 10, 2016 Brigid D'Souza

Families in Jersey City have a diverse set of choices when it comes to high schools. In total, there are 19 high schools, comprised of eight local public, three local county, three public charter and five private schools. Some are open to all Jersey City eighth graders. Others require a student to apply and have a selection process based on criteria such as grade point average (GPA), standardized test scores and/or other admission factors. Other schools require a lottery process.

Along with the sheer number of choices, information on those schools is not readily available in one one central place online where you can compare the different high schools in Jersey City. So we did it for you! JCI has researched and listed the following: schools name and addresses, overview of school type and programs offered, links to school websites for more detailed info (where available), NJ Department of Education (NJDOE) performance rankings (for public schools), admission requirements, application deadlines and links to online applications. We hope that this article will be a useful tool in helping local families sort through the data needed when looking at prospective high schools in our area and that it aids you in navigating your choice for your children.

Read more - http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... for-parents-and-students/

Posted on: 2016/3/10 21:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017