Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City has lost Channel 1
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
And Comcast wants a valueless asset? The multi-billionaire corporation do not understand assets. Fulop follows other mayors with poor decision making skills, especially Schundler who privatized water and the profits goes to a third party while our rates keep going up.

I don't even know what you are arguing at this point. These sentences make no sense.

Comcast didn't eliminate the channel, they moved it. All cable companies do that with all channels. They group like channels with other like channels.

I don't have Comcast. I don't have this channel. You might want to look into what other channels are near the placement of this channel to understand better the decision they made.

Secondly, you're presenting a dying argument as I outlined before. If you are actually concerned about people viewing this channel, you should be talking to Verizon. As far as I'm aware, they don't have this channel. So your argument about viewers means you're fighting for a channel on a specific number for a shrinking population.

If I were the city, the wisest move would be to create a YouTube channel to stream and upload content or some other similar medium as there are more and more cable cutters.

JC1 TV is on channel 37 in Verizon FiOS.

Thank you! I had no idea about this channel?s existence. I wonder how I ever lived...

Posted on: 2015/12/30 19:20
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
What will happen when the brand disappears when TV is all streaming and on demand? Technology changes. Channels nine and eleven have gone through multiple renames, and other channels have hopped around the number system with the advent of cable, satellite, FIOS and internet streaming. Jersey City also has a website, and the local news sites will post local emergency instructions.

Yvonne, a position on a number system is not really relevant today, and in this case is especially irrelevant since the [public access channel is now grouped with other news channels, so it's visible every time they tune to them.

Some people here have no understanding of what an asset is. Channel 1 - as in channel position - has zero value or utility. And repeating the same nonsensical argument does not make it more convincing.

Posted on: 2015/12/30 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
What will happen when the brand disappears when TV is all streaming and on demand? Technology changes. Channels nine and eleven have gone through multiple renames, and other channels have hopped around the number system with the advent of cable, satellite, FIOS and internet streaming. Jersey City also has a website, and the local news sites will post local emergency instructions.

Yvonne, a position on a number system is not really relevant today, and in this case is especially irrelevant since the [public access channel is now grouped with other news channels, so it's visible every time they tune to them.

Posted on: 2015/12/30 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
There have been times during emergencies when people especially seniors turned to Channel 1 to find out important information. If you have no water, you find out where the city is distributing bottle water. I know people who had family members effected by Sandy, they learned from Channel 1 where the city was distributing food or other emergency lists. It was the city's brand, it had value and Comcast wanted it. You can belittle all want, Comcast with the consent of Fulop gave away the brand. If it wasn't valuable, then Comcast would not want it. After all, Fulop is spending $1.5 million to brand the city with the slogan, "Make it yours." Even Fulop knows the value of a brand.

Posted on: 2015/12/30 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:
Lower number channels used to be more valuable, but that was in the days of analog TVs with dials -- VHF channels (2-13) were generally easier to tune in than UHF (14-83).

Hilarious, yet not surprising, that Yvonne would use outdated facts

Posted on: 2015/12/29 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Lower number channels used to be more valuable, but that was in the days of analog TVs with dials -- VHF channels (2-13) were generally easier to tune in than UHF (14-83).

It's actually a little odd that JC had a channel 1 at all, since OTA analog TV started at channel 2. If you'd like a very nerdy explanation as to why that was the case, this page is interesting: http://www.tech-notes.tv/History&Triv ... annel%20One/Channel_1.htm

Posted on: 2015/12/29 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
And Comcast wants a valueless asset? The multi-billionaire corporation do not understand assets. Fulop follows other mayors with poor decision making skills, especially Schundler who privatized water and the profits goes to a third party while our rates keep going up.

I don't even know what you are arguing at this point. These sentences make no sense.

Comcast didn't eliminate the channel, they moved it. All cable companies do that with all channels. They group like channels with other like channels.

I don't have Comcast. I don't have this channel. You might want to look into what other channels are near the placement of this channel to understand better the decision they made.

Secondly, you're presenting a dying argument as I outlined before. If you are actually concerned about people viewing this channel, you should be talking to Verizon. As far as I'm aware, they don't have this channel. So your argument about viewers means you're fighting for a channel on a specific number for a shrinking population.

If I were the city, the wisest move would be to create a YouTube channel to stream and upload content or some other similar medium as there are more and more cable cutters.

JC1 TV is on channel 37 in Verizon FiOS.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

ActionDan wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The lower the number the more valuable the channel

Yeah I really don't think so.

Can you explain why Comcast wanted Channel 1 if it was not valuable?

Can you explain why anyone cares what channel it is on?
Wait, nevermind, how about you stop repeating the same thing over and over and over again, I dare you.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 23:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/28 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
This is all so hilarious. I haven't had cable in over TEN YEARS because I do just fine watching tv shows on the internet or with my Netflix subscription, or a plain old antenna that picks up the regular broadcast networks (such is a benefit of living in the NYC area - admittedly, in the little upstate town where I was born and raised, you definitely need cable to even get NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox or PBS). I have never seen Channel 1 on my television, I have gone on the website on occasion and it works just fine.

I couldn't care less where it sits on the dial - 1, 96, 296, 999, whatever. It's not like it is all that up to date anyway. This website takes care of that - if it weren't for Yvonne's endless rants, I'd really be in the dark! No traditional broadcast medium can provide what she does on this website.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Channel 001 has been replaced with XFINITY On Demand. Here is the current Comcast channel arrangement where the previous Channel 1 content can be found:

90 C-SPAN
96 Comm - Community programming
97 Local access programming
100 Pop!
101 Weatherscan Local
102 ESPNews
103 Bloomberg TV
104 C-SPAN2
105 C-SPAN3
106 Fox Business Network
107 Al Jazeera America

Posted on: 2015/12/28 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ActionDan wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Can you explain why Comcast wanted Channel 1 if it was not valuable?

Posted on: 2015/12/28 17:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/4 14:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/28 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop should have announce this decision. The contract was up 3 years ago but was not voted on by the previous council. I went to those meetings. Healy did not want this contract, the reason this was not voted on during his term. I know a lot about this contract, it is the reason I posted this and made the video. Healy also requested Comcast to rewire City Hall for meetings and he asked for a separate channel for the Board of Ed. We lost Channel 1 and we lost the re-wiring of City Hall, there is a new channel for the Board of Ed but that honors should go to Healy. Fulop gave away an asset Comcast wanted for a long time and he didn't make an announcement.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/28 15:36
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Since you're the valuation expert and not Comcast, how much is this asset worth?

Posted on: 2015/12/28 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/28 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The city gave away an asset they had for a long time. Comcast knows the value of that asset.

I'll repeat this for you since you are a little slow: Comcast is leaving Jersey City.

The building they have here? Closing.
The service they provide here? Shrinking.

Approximately 75% of new residents in Jersey City are signing on with Verizon FiOS instead of Comcrap. When the contract with the city expires, their bid to keep the territory will be vastly lower.

If you really cared about this channel as a public service channel, you might consider lobbying Verizon to get it on their network since they will own more subscribers than Comcast in a very short period of time.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 14:33
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Don't we elect people to sit through that junk they screen?

Posted on: 2015/12/28 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The city gave away an asset they had for a long time. Comcast knows the value of that asset.

The channel is still available, they moved it.
Cable companies do that ALL THE TIME, no one gives a F#$K except you and your neighbors who saw muslims celebrating 9/11.

Stop blaming the city for everything.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 3:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

wut

Posted on: 2015/12/28 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/28 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Like anyone cares about JC1TV. The programming is crap.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Please excuse me for awhile, I am enjoying Mythbusters debunking things pirates did.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You're wrong, it belongs to JC for over 20 years. Comcast could not have taken it without our consent. The city had to option to appeal before the board of public utilities. If you compare Comcast to other town, we are on the short stick of services. Montclair is a town with better public access from their cable provider.

Having been in a contract does not mean you own something. But of course we all know you are never wrong. Why are you comparing Comcast to what they have in Montclair? Montclair is a vastly different community from our own. What they have has no relevance here.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You're wrong, it belongs to JC for over 20 years. Comcast could not have taken it without our consent. The city had to option to appeal before the board of public utilities. If you compare Comcast to other town, we are on the short stick of services. Montclair is a town with better public access from their cable provider.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It is obvious people are commenting about this but they don't know the details. JC has a contract with Comcast. You can get a copy from the City Clerk's office. Healy was correct when he spoke before the city council on Dec. 11, 2012 about Comcast shortcomings. His comments are on the video I posted. The new administration had options but choose to cave in on Comcast. Comcast always wanted Channel 1 even though it was branded as JCTV1. Sorry Fulop supporters, Fulop dropped the ball. We had a valuable asset. In the meanwhile, Comcast raises their rates and give JC residents a lousy studio for the public. Before Comcast came here, the previous company was Cable TV of JC. They would video tape local sporting events in JC. Does Comcast do that? The answer is no. The city are shortchanged with this new deal.

What is your point? Channel 1 whether you like it or not belongs to Comcast to do with as they please when the contract is up for renegotiation. What has raising their rates got to do with the price of apples? Comcast has been providing lousy service to Jersey City for years, so why didn't the magnificent Healy pick up the baton & demand better? And you whine because of a channel change?

The sky still is not falling & will not because of Comcast.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For more than 20 years, JC had Channel 1, why change? The lower the number the more valuable the channel, Comcast knows that. Besides, I am sure there are many people who do not know about the change. That is like trading a diamond for a CZ and saying there is no big deal.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
is it really that hard to tune into 96 rather than 1?
And if tuning into channel 1 during an emergency is your go-to source of info, you're probably getting extremely outdated information.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It is obvious people are commenting about this but they don't know the details. JC has a contract with Comcast. You can get a copy from the City Clerk's office. Healy was correct when he spoke before the city council on Dec. 11, 2012 about Comcast shortcomings. His comments are on the video I posted. The new administration had options but choose to cave in on Comcast. Comcast always wanted Channel 1 even though it was branded as JCTV1. Sorry Fulop supporters, Fulop dropped the ball. We had a valuable asset. In the meanwhile, Comcast raises their rates and give JC residents a lousy studio for the public. Before Comcast came here, the previous company was Cable TV of JC. They would video tape local sporting events in JC. Does Comcast do that? The answer is no. The city are shortchanged with this new deal.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 19:47

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017