Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
159 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bike stolen outside Newport Path Station
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The chain linking those handcuffs looks flimsy to me, as do the cuffs themselves, they don't appear to be as thick as a U lock.

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

dirkgently wrote:
Just to add to the list - mine got stolen y'day from Grove St Path.

I knew it was not uncommon, but since I don't park there regularly, I took my chances and it's gone now.

Going to the East District police station to file the report - they were too busy y'day to attend my call.

Now I know it's stupid to trust flimsy locks, but shouldn't the city do something about it - I mean, it's one of the most common theft that occurs pretty much every day in some the most crowded public places in the city with tons of cameras around.

Whom to contact to draw attention to this? Would it be Candice Osborne?

my slashed tire last night makes sense now. They prob cut it in hopes I would have to leave it so they could come back later with diff tools to steal it. I use a kryptonite evo series u lock.

about what time was yours taken?

You're probably right MikeyTBC, this is a technique I've heard about. They are checking to see if it's an "active" target. It's very similar to when crooks put leaflets/menus in doors to see if they are being removed.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 22:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 19:05
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Pair of these work and not as heavy as a NY Bike Chain (that works great)

http://gearpatrol.wpengine.netdna-cdn ... eet-Cuffs-Gear-Patrol.jpg

Kinky!

Posted on: 2015/5/29 21:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mine was gone in the middle of the day - parked there at noon, came back at 6 in the evening, and it was gone.

I think the tire slashing might be more because of frustration of not being able to pick your lock.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dirkgently wrote:

I knew it was not uncommon, but since I don't park there regularly, I took my chances and it's gone now.

Going to the East District police station to file the report - they were too busy y'day to attend my call.

Now I know it's stupid to trust flimsy locks, but shouldn't the city do something about it - I mean, it's one of the most common theft that occurs pretty much every day in some the most crowded public places in the city with tons of cameras around.

my slashed tire last night makes sense now. They prob cut it in hopes I would have to leave it so they could come back later with diff tools to steal it. I use a kryptonite evo series u lock.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I use a pair of them on my Swobo, they work well and fit inside a backpack easily.

Never had a theft as these would be a major pain in the ass to cut into.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:

I recently saw this product elsewhere. Do you have any personal experience with it? I am concerned that the "chain" linking the cuffs can be cut easily. Do you anything about the materials used?

Posted on: 2015/5/29 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/29 16:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/13 16:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
One solution I have seen to combat bike theft at commuter spots is to check your bike like a coat check . I don't know if there are enough bikes to make this viable but I have seen this done in European cities.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Resized Image

Anything not tied down will get stolen (includes bike parts), but lock your bike up and use strong cables and padlocks as image depicts.

There should be a place with CCTV video cameras directly pointed at it, where decent folks can secure their bikes near all PATH trains and the Port Authority should furnish this.

I'd highly advise against ever using a cable lock or padlock for leaving your bike for more than a quick dip into a store. Those things can be destroyed in a less than a minute with simple hand tools. Unfortunately the best solution is not what people want, a big heavy u-lock or hardened-steel chain. Given the opportunity, a crook will always go for the low hanging fruit. Also think about swapping out anything quick-release with old-school bolt-on. Quick-release means quick-be-gone in an urban environment. You really don't need quick-release components for a commuter bike.

I was going to chime in to say the exact same thing. Cable locks (even kryptonite brand ones) are mostly useless when it comes to a determined thief with large enough bolt cutters. I have seen guys walk past a block with bolt cutters tucked into their belts and in little more than a few seconds cut through cable locks to help themselves to a bike. The first time I saw this (not here, in Dublin, Ireland) left me speechless. The whole thing happened in seconds. The same happens in NYC and JC. Those advocating for CCTVs are wasting their time. A thief who wants a bike will get it if it is chained with a cable lock, and the CCTV will do nothing to deter the thief. It takes seconds to cut through the cable, and by the time someone watching on camera notices what is going on, it would be too late.

If you want your bike to be secure, there is only one option: invest on a Kryptonite chain (models New York Chain, or New York Fahgettaboudit) and use it properly. If you have a quick release front wheel, take it off, place it next to your frame and use the chain around both the frame and wheel and secure it to a solid post.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Why don't we have CCTV overlooking the bike racks provided at every PATH and light-rail STATION.
The authority are keen to ensure we all have a ticket with ticket inspectors and PATH cops, why doesn't a lobby group demand security at bike parking locations too?

Fulop rides bikes, would be a keen idea for a city council meeting, along with bike lanes as nothing is better than 'green city'.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Why don't we have CCTV overlooking the bike racks provided at every PATH and light-rail STATION.
The authority are keen to ensure we all have a ticket with ticket inspectors and PATH cops, why doesn't a lobby group demand security at bike parking locations too?

Posted on: 2015/5/29 0:24
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I enjoy the people who only lock up their front wheel especially when it's quick release.

they make smaller kryptonite chains. that is what i use and it has worked so far.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 0:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Resized Image

Anything not tied down will get stolen (includes bike parts), but lock your bike up and use strong cables and padlocks as image depicts.

There should be a place with CCTV video cameras directly pointed at it, where decent folks can secure their bikes near all PATH trains and the Port Authority should furnish this.

I'd highly advise against ever using a cable lock or padlock for leaving your bike for more than a quick dip into a store. Those things can be destroyed in a less than a minute with simple hand tools. Unfortunately the best solution is not what people want, a big heavy u-lock or hardened-steel chain. Given the opportunity, a crook will always go for the low hanging fruit. Also think about swapping out anything quick-release with old-school bolt-on. Quick-release means quick-be-gone in an urban environment. You really don't need quick-release components for a commuter bike.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I have two strong feelings about this:
- I'd never leave my bike for more than 5 minutes without my elaborate system of locks/chains/cables that would foil almost any crook.
- If the city and PA cared about this at all, they'd provide safe, secure bike parking where I wouldn't need my elaborate system.

Outside Union Station in DC there's a Eurpean-style bike parking garage where your can safely store your bike for a modest fee. I get that they have higher volumes of riders than we do, but there has to be a way to do that on a smaller scale.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/5/28 19:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/28 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am often amused (and, surprised) by the wimpy chains and locks that some people use to secure their bicycles in areas close to PATH stations. In Hoboken, I once saw a pretty nice bike with its detachable CatEye computer still in place. If you are commuting via PATH or light rail, and leaving your bike behind for any amount of time, use a REAL chain like a Kryptonite New Yorker. Any U-Lock or cable lock can be unlocked or broken in little to no time. A really good bike thief can get past most simple chains in a matter of seconds and no one would notice.

Posted on: 2015/5/13 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
It's probably just Fulop making more customers for the bike share program.

Posted on: 2015/5/12 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Most likely they will catch the perp (who will turn out to be a repeat offender like Milton Nesbitt). However, the bike is probably gone =(

Posted on: 2015/5/12 19:14

Bike stolen outside Newport Path Station

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/12 19:01
From newport pavonia
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

My husband parked the bike outside path as he does everyday at 7:45am, locked it and it was missing when he got back just before 6pm. He spoke to the path person stationed there and she advised him to call the police. The police arrived promptly. However, they told him that there was another bike stolen from the same spot last week, that there are cameras but port authority declined to share the footage (or is unable to for some reason). Not sure what the use of the cameras is - they are there, police is willing to take the lead but still no respite.

Also the bike had to be taken via washington blvd or some other road around and there are cameras all around. The bike had a unique look and am pretty certain there is no other similar looking bike in newport area (esp with a grey/red child seat).

Hope port authority provides some help, the little effort i put in, they seem non- chalant. If there is no response, i would advise against parking bikes outside newport path. There are only 10-15 bikes parked and two are gone in a week.

I will post further updates on response from port authority or the jcpd.

Thanks.
------------

Posted on: 2015/5/12 19:01

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017