Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: home inspector did not get on the roof
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 19:27
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks to all for your posts and messages. They were very helpful. It looks like I may end up doing another inspection with a different inspector or roofer. Thanks again for recommending contractors you've dealt with.

Posted on: 2014/3/24 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Everything in our house failed according to John Moss' predictions. He's pretty damned good at his job.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
We used Moss too for an inspection. Personally, I like that he pointed out all the potentially issues - especially without sugar coating everything (I'm not a 5 year old, after all).

I liked that fact that I was able to go to the closing knowing exactly what's wrong, how wrong, and how costly the issues are in the next few years as we tackle them. It helped me to be better prepared as a home owner.

Any inspector that's not doing this in my opinion is not doing this job. I especially hate the inspectors that are "friends" with the realtor. The fact that the agents hate Moss made him my friend by default!

Posted on: 2014/3/23 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Rayman wrote:
That's funny. As Moss was the inspector I used. I hired him to find out what was wrong with my building. Things that were not already disclosed by the seller.
He is aggressive, but I wanted to know the real story of the building, not a candy coated version to make me feel better. Many great deals, are only great deals for the seller that is passing off a giant headache. Moss knows that and uncovers the headaches before they become yours.
The headaches and buidling issues ruin the deal, not the person that points them out.

+1

Posted on: 2014/3/23 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Garage wrote:
Moss takes sadistic pleasure in pointing out faults during inspections. It's not what he finds, he is no more thorough than most inspectors, it's how he says things. He often panics the home buyer without offering solutions. He's all doom and gloom.

+1

Posted on: 2014/3/23 15:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/24 12:50
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
That's funny. As Moss was the inspector I used. I hired him to find out what was wrong with my building. Things that were not already disclosed by the seller.
He is aggressive, but I wanted to know the real story of the building, not a candy coated version to make me feel better. Many great deals, are only great deals for the seller that is passing off a giant headache. Moss knows that and uncovers the headaches before they become yours.
The headaches and buidling issues ruin the deal, not the person that points them out.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 15:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/24 12:50
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Regrettably, this is what would separate a professional from not. The 1 home inspector I have used repeatedly, always did an pre inspection to bring what he needed to do a full inspection. He did specifically ask if we had roof access.
If you look in the agreement you signed, does it include a roof inspection? This is one of the more significant part of the inspections.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Garage wrote:

Moss takes sadistic pleasure in pointing out faults during inspections. It's not what he finds, he is no more thorough than most inspectors, it's how he says things. He often panics the home buyer without offering solutions. He's all doom and gloom.

Realtor? Damn you Moss!

Posted on: 2014/3/23 11:10

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 23:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/23 2:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/23 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
If you're talking about an attached house, you might find a neighbor with inside access to their roof. If they'll let the inspector go up, its almost always possible to cross from one roof to the next. Your neighbor may even score a free roof inspection of his/her own.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 2:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/30 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
I second Pebble and Christine.

We also used Moss - very thorough. Our realtor was there for the inspection and she got jittery when she saw that Moss was going to do the inspection.

She said he finds faults everywhere and is known as the "deal killer" amongst realtors - for us that confirmed that we had chosen the right inspector...

He found quite a few things and that allowed us to purchase the home with a realistic expectation of what we needed to repair during the next few years.

A roof is extremely important for the health of a building - a leaking or poor roof will lead to a host of issues and costly repair. But on the other hand, the cost of putting on a new flat roof on a row house (which based on description seems to be the question at hand) is small ($3-7k) compared to the overall cost of a house. That price will buy you a roof with a 10-15 years guarantee.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Shelaine, I DM'd you information...

Posted on: 2014/3/22 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shelaine wrote:
So I just had a home inspection done and the inspector left several items uninspected because he didn't have a tall enough ladder to get on the roof and there is no access from inside the house. So no idea what the condition the roof is in or attic, chimney sky light etc. I'm now going back and forth with him and the realtor to try to get that inspected even though I already paid for this. I may have to rent the equipment myself. Have any of you guys had a similar experience with inspectors out here? How crazy is it to expect your inspector to have tall ladders??

When I bought my home, the inspector did the same. He couldn?t get on the roof because he didn?t have a tall enough ladder and the internal roof access wasn?t definitive. Instead he asked a neighbor if they had been up on the roof recently and if they saw anything.

How far you go with the inspection really does depend on the price you are planning to pay for the property. Are you getting a great deal on a place and the potential for a new roof won?t cause you to be unhinged early on? If these aspects aren?t major, then there is no need to go that far. If the price is high then you are better off knowing how all of the parts look and if any repairs will be needed in the not too distant future.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 0:15
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
I would get a roofer. In my experience, a home inspector should not be the "end all" of a potential home buyer's diligence. The roof is extremely important, as you seem to understand. I would be as thorough as you can with the roof and even discuss options that go beyond the cursory visual review of the roof by the roofer. In other words, tell the roofer you're happy to pay more for more services in order to ensure that the roof is in the shape you need it to be in.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 19:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Why do so many people now start a conversation, letter, thread posting with the word SO ?? It is so reeks of teen angst.

The same reason why so many people now start a conversation, letter, thread posting with the word WHY.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
Also, if you are interested in a whole new inspection, I highly recommend John Moss. He did an inspection on a house I had considered buying and his inspection brought to light a lot of problems with the property. The inspection was incredibly thorough.

I'm sure you can get his number off of google.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2014/3/21 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
I am not sure if they do inspections, but All City Roofing is top notch and they are local. I would give them a call and tell them your issue.

I truly believe that these guys will not pull any nonsense of telling you that a bad roof is good.

The LAST thing you want to worry about is buying something with a faulty roof. Have it checked.

Best of luck!

Posted on: 2014/3/21 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
A roofer is a good idea, but I'd suggest getting references from friends or neighbors. A roofer has a vested interest (have you ever taken a car to a mechanic who found nothing that needed fixing?). You need someone who will give you straight answers

Posted on: 2014/3/21 14:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That's a really good suggestion. I'm not sure if these folks will finish the job since they already have the check. Will look into finding a roofer as well. Thank you.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 14:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/20 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
My roof is only accessible by big ladder as well. I would suggest shelling out more $$ and having an actual roofer come and inspect. If it's that difficult to access, it may not have been thoroughly maintained, and you want to make sure someone qualified takes a good hard look at it.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 14:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks HPYC. My thoughts exactly.

I'm trying to get the inspector to come back and inspect the roof. I don't care if I have to rent the ladder myself. This is really frustrating.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 14:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Agree with HPYC

The roof is a very important part of the inspection.

I would call them back and telll them to do their fckn job and finish the inspection.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Our last inspector was himself a bit old for clambering up on roofs, but he had an assistant who went up and looked at it. It definitely needs to be included in the inspection and the fact that they didn't bring a tall enough ladder is on them, not you. They should have asked you ahead of time about access to the roof and how tall the building was. In our case, they needed to bring a 36 ft extension ladder to get up there - but that was all discussed before they came.

I think you need to insist that they come back before you sign off on the inspection and pay their fee. The roof system is too important and costly to fix not to have it inspected.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 14:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

shelaine wrote:
So I just had a home inspection done and the inspector left several items uninspected because he didn't have a tall enough ladder to get on the roof and there is no access from inside the house. So no idea what the condition the roof is in or attic, chimney sky light etc. I'm now going back and forth with him and the realtor to try to get that inspected even though I already paid for this. I may have to rent the equipment myself. Have any of you guys had a similar experience with inspectors out here? How crazy is it to expect your inspector to have tall ladders??

Why do so many people now start a conversation, letter, thread posting with the word SO ?? It is so reeks of teen angst.

Thanks for your input. What a joy you are!

Posted on: 2014/3/21 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shelaine wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/21 14:15
Get on your bikes and ride !

home inspector did not get on the roof
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/21 14:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017