Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
24 user(s) are online (12 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 24

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users






Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#30
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined :
2012/5/30 14:50
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 97
Offline
Sorry JerseyAveGirl, I will move all the homeless off the streets so they don't harm your delicate sensibilities!

Posted on: 2013/8/8 20:47
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#29
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
8/14 17:34
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4971
Offline
More young people here are helping the homeless.

Jersey City teen wins 'DOSomething' grant to help provides socks for homeless.

Resized Image



Matthew Fondacaro/The Jersey Journal

DOSomething.org, a national nonprofit, has named Jersey City 17-year-old Jeremy Garriga, a student at County Prep High School, a 2013 Seed Grant Winner.

The $500 grant will help fund the Soxcess sock drive, an initiative Jeremy launched to provide warm socks to homeless in Hudson County.

"It's great to be recognized by a national company such as DOSomething.org and I am honored that they've chosen to help fund the expansion of my Soxcess project to reflect a greater need among the homeless population here in Hudson County" said Jeremy.

Jeremy launched the effort in November, 2011 when he noticed several people at the Hoboken Shelter, where he volunteered, needed warm socks for the winter months.

With the help of then-councilman, now Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop and members of the Hudson County Freeholders, Jeremy was able to put collection baskets in several public places, including libraries, City Hall, and local hospitals to collect donated socks.

Jeremy also sought out major, local retailers for sock donations. "The only one that took me seriously was the Jersey City Target Store," said Jeremy. Every year, Jeremy teams up with the Jersey City Target store which provides the Hoboken shelter with volunteers who are armed with socks and basic needs for the residents.

Some 2,200 pairs of new socks have been collected over the past two years and were distributed at several shelters, including the Hoboken Shelter, Palisades Emergency Residence Corporation in Union City, St. Lucy's in Jersey City and Meadowview Psychiatric Hospital in Secaucus.

"My greatest reward is delivering the goods to the different locations and experiencing the reactions among the shelter directors and shelter clients alike, big smiles and gratitude," said Jeremy.

Jeremy now had plans to expand his project to provide socks for American troops overseas.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 19:24
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#28
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2011/7/18 20:46
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 386
Offline

Posted on: 2013/8/6 19:42
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#27
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2011/11/30 12:46
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1776
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
[quote]


You should learn from Mikey, who opens up his home to the homeless and doesn't ask them for a dime. He also gives every homeless person on the street he passes a hug, tells them it's okay, and warns them that the neighborhood will be gentrifying (apparently his worst nightmare).



Ha! Sorry, I simply had to create an account and comment on this particular comment. Knowing Mikey personally and knowing how modest he is about his good deeds I have to let you know that Mikey HAS in fact opened his home to the homeless on occasion, allowed them to spend the night in a warm home with a roof over their head, has given them money the next day for a hot meal, train fare, etc. and often gives those looking for some spare change a little something to perhaps buy a bite to eat.

While most of you view the homeless as a commune of lepers bringing down the property value, others see them as human beings like you or I. People who have made mistakes, poor choices or maybe have been dealt a raw deal in life and find themselves in the situations they are in.

You dont have to give them a quarter, a nickle or the time of day if you choose not to. However you don't have the right to try and herd them up and ship them off to some other location out of your sight and out of your mind. Welcome to life in a city. If you dont like it then maybe the suburbs are better suited for you.


Good for him. It doesn't change the fact that sleeping on the streets is illegal and not fair to taxpayers

If there is any public lewdness (changing of clothes) or drunkenness (open bottles..) it is also illegal

And no, some streets in manhattan do not have homeless on a PERMANENT basis like we do, especially main residential streets...where the heck in manhattan do some of you go to - east harlem, wash heights?


You ever been to 6th ave in Chelsea?


You mean to the homeless shelter in Chelsea ?

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/unite ... r-one-year-on-264792.html

I would not be opposed to having the homeless in a shelter versus on the streets....



Again, you ever been to 6th Ave in Chelsea? They are all over the streets..


I'm no detective but does it have to do with there being a large homeless shelter there? I believe the homeless have to walk to that shelter and exit it....


Yup.. exactly.. just responding to your point:

Quote:
where the heck in manhattan do some of you go to - east harlem, wash heights?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 18:28
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#26
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
[quote]


You should learn from Mikey, who opens up his home to the homeless and doesn't ask them for a dime. He also gives every homeless person on the street he passes a hug, tells them it's okay, and warns them that the neighborhood will be gentrifying (apparently his worst nightmare).



Ha! Sorry, I simply had to create an account and comment on this particular comment. Knowing Mikey personally and knowing how modest he is about his good deeds I have to let you know that Mikey HAS in fact opened his home to the homeless on occasion, allowed them to spend the night in a warm home with a roof over their head, has given them money the next day for a hot meal, train fare, etc. and often gives those looking for some spare change a little something to perhaps buy a bite to eat.

While most of you view the homeless as a commune of lepers bringing down the property value, others see them as human beings like you or I. People who have made mistakes, poor choices or maybe have been dealt a raw deal in life and find themselves in the situations they are in.

You dont have to give them a quarter, a nickle or the time of day if you choose not to. However you don't have the right to try and herd them up and ship them off to some other location out of your sight and out of your mind. Welcome to life in a city. If you dont like it then maybe the suburbs are better suited for you.


Good for him. It doesn't change the fact that sleeping on the streets is illegal and not fair to taxpayers

If there is any public lewdness (changing of clothes) or drunkenness (open bottles..) it is also illegal

And no, some streets in manhattan do not have homeless on a PERMANENT basis like we do, especially main residential streets...where the heck in manhattan do some of you go to - east harlem, wash heights?


You ever been to 6th ave in Chelsea?


You mean to the homeless shelter in Chelsea ?

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/unite ... r-one-year-on-264792.html

I would not be opposed to having the homeless in a shelter versus on the streets....



Again, you ever been to 6th Ave in Chelsea? They are all over the streets..


I'm no detective but does it have to do with there being a large homeless shelter there? I believe the homeless have to walk to that shelter and exit it....

Posted on: 2013/8/6 18:10
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#25
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2005/6/8 3:24
Last Login :
Yesterday 19:12
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1365
Offline
This is one area that has not received much discussion and that I thought should have been included in one areas of the transition report.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 18:00
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#24
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2011/11/30 12:46
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1776
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
[quote]


You should learn from Mikey, who opens up his home to the homeless and doesn't ask them for a dime. He also gives every homeless person on the street he passes a hug, tells them it's okay, and warns them that the neighborhood will be gentrifying (apparently his worst nightmare).



Ha! Sorry, I simply had to create an account and comment on this particular comment. Knowing Mikey personally and knowing how modest he is about his good deeds I have to let you know that Mikey HAS in fact opened his home to the homeless on occasion, allowed them to spend the night in a warm home with a roof over their head, has given them money the next day for a hot meal, train fare, etc. and often gives those looking for some spare change a little something to perhaps buy a bite to eat.

While most of you view the homeless as a commune of lepers bringing down the property value, others see them as human beings like you or I. People who have made mistakes, poor choices or maybe have been dealt a raw deal in life and find themselves in the situations they are in.

You dont have to give them a quarter, a nickle or the time of day if you choose not to. However you don't have the right to try and herd them up and ship them off to some other location out of your sight and out of your mind. Welcome to life in a city. If you dont like it then maybe the suburbs are better suited for you.


Good for him. It doesn't change the fact that sleeping on the streets is illegal and not fair to taxpayers

If there is any public lewdness (changing of clothes) or drunkenness (open bottles..) it is also illegal

And no, some streets in manhattan do not have homeless on a PERMANENT basis like we do, especially main residential streets...where the heck in manhattan do some of you go to - east harlem, wash heights?


You ever been to 6th ave in Chelsea?


You mean to the homeless shelter in Chelsea ?

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/unite ... r-one-year-on-264792.html

I would not be opposed to having the homeless in a shelter versus on the streets....



Again, you ever been to 6th Ave in Chelsea? They are all over the streets..

Posted on: 2013/8/6 17:31
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#23
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined :
2013/8/6 13:22
Last Login :
2015/8/31 15:33
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 10
Offline
Quote:

JerseyAveGirl wrote:
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
[quote]


Good for him. It doesn't change the fact that sleeping on the streets is illegal and not fair to taxpayers



Wow. I bet you also complain about social security and welfare being unfair to taxpayers as well. Get a clue.

I'm happy that you are fortunate enough to have your health, a job and a considerably secure lifestyle because if you should ever happen to fall on hard times you might be subjected to social excommunication by somebody like YOURSELF.


He said illegal...very different than legal social programs that help people in need. It is frustrating to pay MUCH higher taxes than NYC but not to be able to offer any services for that. Actually NJ pays less for social security and disablity, with higher taxes. I do not have any issue if you pick on someone denying social programs but when something is illegal there is a reason for it. Or do you prefer that we be okay with murder also and muggings?


Why don't you propose more police patrolling the area specifically to hinder the homeless from congregating in certain areas and perhaps encourage them to seek shelter elsewhere or possibly lead to arrests which would eventually lead to overpopulation of city jails for the horrific crime of being indigent and sleeping in the street. This would however affect city budgets and later your tax dollars. But, at least you wouldn't have to see the gritty, dark reality of the lower class on your walk to the Path in the morning.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 17:19
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#22
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined :
2011/12/4 1:44
Last Login :
2014/8/12 14:04
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 64
Offline
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
[quote]


Good for him. It doesn't change the fact that sleeping on the streets is illegal and not fair to taxpayers



Wow. I bet you also complain about social security and welfare being unfair to taxpayers as well. Get a clue.

I'm happy that you are fortunate enough to have your health, a job and a considerably secure lifestyle because if you should ever happen to fall on hard times you might be subjected to social excommunication by somebody like YOURSELF.


He said illegal...very different than legal social programs that help people in need. It is frustrating to pay MUCH higher taxes than NYC but not to be able to offer any services for that. Actually NJ pays less for social security and disablity, with higher taxes. I do not have any issue if you pick on someone denying social programs but when something is illegal there is a reason for it. Or do you prefer that we be okay with murder also and muggings?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 16:50
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#21
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined :
2013/8/6 13:22
Last Login :
2015/8/31 15:33
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 10
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
[quote]


Good for him. It doesn't change the fact that sleeping on the streets is illegal and not fair to taxpayers



Wow. I bet you also complain about social security and welfare being unfair to taxpayers as well. Get a clue.

I'm happy that you are fortunate enough to have your health, a job and a considerably secure lifestyle because if you should ever happen to fall on hard times you might be subjected to social excommunication by somebody like YOURSELF.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 16:46
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#20
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined :
2011/12/4 1:44
Last Login :
2014/8/12 14:04
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 64
Offline
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
I used to live in Beacon Hill in Boston which is one of the nicest and most expensive neighborhoods there. John Kerry lived 4 blocks from me for reference. There were probably a dozen or more homeless who spent their time on Cambridge Street, which is roughly equivalent to Columbus Drive in downtown JC in terms of size, traffic, location, etc.

Part of why they were there was A. foot traffic and B. proximity to services. There were 3-4 food pantries/soup kitchens in the neighborhood including the nationally recognized Project Bread.

Homelessness is an URBAN issue, not just a downtown JC issue. Gentrification won't fix it, services alone won't fix it. If you're not willing to accept it as the reality, donate to a cause that aims to address the issue or volunteer yourself. I do both and it helps me feel like I'm doing more than just complaining.

Just Complain List is definitely an apt name...


My whole idea was to get the names of those so I could help. Can you please provide the details of where you believe volunteers can help...this was the whole reason for the ask.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 16:45
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#19
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
[quote]


You should learn from Mikey, who opens up his home to the homeless and doesn't ask them for a dime. He also gives every homeless person on the street he passes a hug, tells them it's okay, and warns them that the neighborhood will be gentrifying (apparently his worst nightmare).



Ha! Sorry, I simply had to create an account and comment on this particular comment. Knowing Mikey personally and knowing how modest he is about his good deeds I have to let you know that Mikey HAS in fact opened his home to the homeless on occasion, allowed them to spend the night in a warm home with a roof over their head, has given them money the next day for a hot meal, train fare, etc. and often gives those looking for some spare change a little something to perhaps buy a bite to eat.

While most of you view the homeless as a commune of lepers bringing down the property value, others see them as human beings like you or I. People who have made mistakes, poor choices or maybe have been dealt a raw deal in life and find themselves in the situations they are in.

You dont have to give them a quarter, a nickle or the time of day if you choose not to. However you don't have the right to try and herd them up and ship them off to some other location out of your sight and out of your mind. Welcome to life in a city. If you dont like it then maybe the suburbs are better suited for you.


Good for him. It doesn't change the fact that sleeping on the streets is illegal and not fair to taxpayers

If there is any public lewdness (changing of clothes) or drunkenness (open bottles..) it is also illegal

And no, some streets in manhattan do not have homeless on a PERMANENT basis like we do, especially main residential streets...where the heck in manhattan do some of you go to - east harlem, wash heights?


You ever been to 6th ave in Chelsea?


You mean to the homeless shelter in Chelsea ?

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/unite ... r-one-year-on-264792.html

I would not be opposed to having the homeless in a shelter versus on the streets....


Posted on: 2013/8/6 16:32
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#18
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2011/11/30 12:46
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1776
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
[quote]


You should learn from Mikey, who opens up his home to the homeless and doesn't ask them for a dime. He also gives every homeless person on the street he passes a hug, tells them it's okay, and warns them that the neighborhood will be gentrifying (apparently his worst nightmare).



Ha! Sorry, I simply had to create an account and comment on this particular comment. Knowing Mikey personally and knowing how modest he is about his good deeds I have to let you know that Mikey HAS in fact opened his home to the homeless on occasion, allowed them to spend the night in a warm home with a roof over their head, has given them money the next day for a hot meal, train fare, etc. and often gives those looking for some spare change a little something to perhaps buy a bite to eat.

While most of you view the homeless as a commune of lepers bringing down the property value, others see them as human beings like you or I. People who have made mistakes, poor choices or maybe have been dealt a raw deal in life and find themselves in the situations they are in.

You dont have to give them a quarter, a nickle or the time of day if you choose not to. However you don't have the right to try and herd them up and ship them off to some other location out of your sight and out of your mind. Welcome to life in a city. If you dont like it then maybe the suburbs are better suited for you.


Good for him. It doesn't change the fact that sleeping on the streets is illegal and not fair to taxpayers

If there is any public lewdness (changing of clothes) or drunkenness (open bottles..) it is also illegal

And no, some streets in manhattan do not have homeless on a PERMANENT basis like we do, especially main residential streets...where the heck in manhattan do some of you go to - east harlem, wash heights?


You ever been to 6th ave in Chelsea?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 16:13
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/3/24 20:27
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 480
Offline
I love you and Mikey - THERE are good people on JCLIST!

[/quote]

Ha! Sorry, I simply had to create an account and comment on this particular comment. Knowing Mikey personally and knowing how modest he is about his good deeds I have to let you know that Mikey HAS in fact opened his home to the homeless on occasion, allowed them to spend the night in a warm home with a roof over their head, has given them money the next day for a hot meal, train fare, etc. and often gives those looking for some spare change a little something to perhaps buy a bite to eat.

While most of you view the homeless as a commune of lepers bringing down the property value, others see them as human beings like you or I. People who have made mistakes, poor choices or maybe have been dealt a raw deal in life and find themselves in the situations they are in.

You dont have to give them a quarter, a nickle or the time of day if you choose not to. However you don't have the right to try and herd them up and ship them off to some other location out of your sight and out of your mind. Welcome to life in a city. If you dont like it then maybe the suburbs are better suited for you.[/quote]

Posted on: 2013/8/6 16:10
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#16
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2011/7/18 20:46
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 386
Offline
I used to live in Beacon Hill in Boston which is one of the nicest and most expensive neighborhoods there. John Kerry lived 4 blocks from me for reference. There were probably a dozen or more homeless who spent their time on Cambridge Street, which is roughly equivalent to Columbus Drive in downtown JC in terms of size, traffic, location, etc.

Part of why they were there was A. foot traffic and B. proximity to services. There were 3-4 food pantries/soup kitchens in the neighborhood including the nationally recognized Project Bread.

Homelessness is an URBAN issue, not just a downtown JC issue. Gentrification won't fix it, services alone won't fix it. If you're not willing to accept it as the reality, donate to a cause that aims to address the issue or volunteer yourself. I do both and it helps me feel like I'm doing more than just complaining.

Just Complain List is definitely an apt name...

Posted on: 2013/8/6 15:58
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
Quote:

JustComplainList wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
[quote]


You should learn from Mikey, who opens up his home to the homeless and doesn't ask them for a dime. He also gives every homeless person on the street he passes a hug, tells them it's okay, and warns them that the neighborhood will be gentrifying (apparently his worst nightmare).



Ha! Sorry, I simply had to create an account and comment on this particular comment. Knowing Mikey personally and knowing how modest he is about his good deeds I have to let you know that Mikey HAS in fact opened his home to the homeless on occasion, allowed them to spend the night in a warm home with a roof over their head, has given them money the next day for a hot meal, train fare, etc. and often gives those looking for some spare change a little something to perhaps buy a bite to eat.

While most of you view the homeless as a commune of lepers bringing down the property value, others see them as human beings like you or I. People who have made mistakes, poor choices or maybe have been dealt a raw deal in life and find themselves in the situations they are in.

You dont have to give them a quarter, a nickle or the time of day if you choose not to. However you don't have the right to try and herd them up and ship them off to some other location out of your sight and out of your mind. Welcome to life in a city. If you dont like it then maybe the suburbs are better suited for you.


Good for him. It doesn't change the fact that sleeping on the streets is illegal and not fair to taxpayers

If there is any public lewdness (changing of clothes) or drunkenness (open bottles..) it is also illegal

And no, some streets in manhattan do not have homeless on a PERMANENT basis like we do, especially main residential streets...where the heck in manhattan do some of you go to - east harlem, wash heights?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 15:57
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#14
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
8/14 17:34
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4971
Offline
I guess the homeless dtjc can't afford to live in Manhattan neither so they choose dtjc like most of you? Why be homeless in GV or BL?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 14:08
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#13
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/1/3 19:12
Last Login :
2018/9/5 5:49
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2295
Offline
While the Gordon's Fisherman freaks me out a little when he acts really erratically, yeah dealing with homeless people is a part of life in any city. We actually really don't have that many compared to places like Manhattan. I have noticed a few guys sleeping on Columbus this summer, which I haven't noticed in the past.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 14:03
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#12
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined :
2013/8/6 13:22
Last Login :
2015/8/31 15:33
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 10
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
[quote]


You should learn from Mikey, who opens up his home to the homeless and doesn't ask them for a dime. He also gives every homeless person on the street he passes a hug, tells them it's okay, and warns them that the neighborhood will be gentrifying (apparently his worst nightmare).



Ha! Sorry, I simply had to create an account and comment on this particular comment. Knowing Mikey personally and knowing how modest he is about his good deeds I have to let you know that Mikey HAS in fact opened his home to the homeless on occasion, allowed them to spend the night in a warm home with a roof over their head, has given them money the next day for a hot meal, train fare, etc. and often gives those looking for some spare change a little something to perhaps buy a bite to eat.

While most of you view the homeless as a commune of lepers bringing down the property value, others see them as human beings like you or I. People who have made mistakes, poor choices or maybe have been dealt a raw deal in life and find themselves in the situations they are in.

You dont have to give them a quarter, a nickle or the time of day if you choose not to. However you don't have the right to try and herd them up and ship them off to some other location out of your sight and out of your mind. Welcome to life in a city. If you dont like it then maybe the suburbs are better suited for you.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 13:56
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#11
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/4/10 13:29
Last Login :
2017/4/13 21:03
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2635
Offline
Quote:

JerseyAveGirl wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

JerseyAveGirl wrote:
Is there an agency to contact or would this be a City Hall agenda to try and get these people to safer, less eye soar locations? .


Well, the area surrounding the path at grove and newport is pretty safe, so I'm guessing you're more concerned with they "eye soar" aspect of things? Good luck with that.

I consider Paco + Taco and the Fishermen to be part of the local color at this point. And hard hat guy.


I didn't ask to be judged I asked if anyone has found a route that can help these people. And no I don't like walking past fisherman guy getting dressed in the morning...sorry if that makes me sound like I am crazy for wanting a nice morning commute. Taxes are HIGH. Much higher than NYC. Does no one have a contact to help the city and help the people of our town? (It seems like people can judge and complain about gentrification but no one actually wants to be involved).



There is an election in October for US Senate. Vote for a candidate who will support reforms to our social services program.

There is an election in November for Governor and for the state legislature. Vote for candidates who support reforms to state social services programs.

Perhaps you should take a car service to the PATH, or maybe just take one to Manhattan in the morning, or maybe you should just move back to Murray Hill.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 13:44
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#10
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2005/7/13 15:03
Last Login :
10/17 0:17
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4421
Offline
They're not supposed to loiter there it doesn't look nice.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 13:35
Get on your bikes and ride !
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#9
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined :
2011/12/4 1:44
Last Login :
2014/8/12 14:04
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 64
Offline
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

JerseyAveGirl wrote:
Is there an agency to contact or would this be a City Hall agenda to try and get these people to safer, less eye soar locations? .


Well, the area surrounding the path at grove and newport is pretty safe, so I'm guessing you're more concerned with they "eye soar" aspect of things? Good luck with that.

I consider Paco + Taco and the Fishermen to be part of the local color at this point. And hard hat guy.


I didn't ask to be judged I asked if anyone has found a route that can help these people. And no I don't like walking past fisherman guy getting dressed in the morning...sorry if that makes me sound like I am crazy for wanting a nice morning commute. Taxes are HIGH. Much higher than NYC. Does no one have a contact to help the city and help the people of our town? (It seems like people can judge and complain about gentrification but no one actually wants to be involved).

Posted on: 2013/8/6 13:15
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#8
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2007/2/3 21:36
Last Login :
2018/9/11 12:53
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1223
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

JerseyAveGirl wrote:
I hate taking my morning walk to the path and passing an increasing number of sleeping/just waking homeless people. I am not sure what makes that street more appealing over others? Is there an agency to contact or would this be a City Hall agenda to try and get these people to safer, less eye soar locations? Are the shelters reaching out or are there any services that we do or should offer? As our city gentrifies, I only see this problem growing.


Nice job going with the humanitarian guise...
don't worry, it wont grow as fast as the population of you people which is what I dislike, so I guess it's even. But not really.


I agree with Mikey, shame on you JerseyGirl for pointing out individuals who break the law by loitering and using our public streets as their personal bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen. Even though they don't pay any taxes and you support their usage of our streets through the taxes you pay, shame on you for being so selfish. And even though they have a much higher incidence of mental illness than the general population, why wouldn't you, as a woman or if you have children, feel comfortable passing them everyday? I bet if someone steals money from you, I bet you do the very selfish thing and report it as a "crime."

You should learn from Mikey, who opens up his home to the homeless and doesn't ask them for a dime. He also gives every homeless person on the street he passes a hug, tells them it's okay, and warns them that the neighborhood will be gentrifying (apparently his worst nightmare).

The key to a successful neighborhood, as evident by many JClisters - homelessness, 99 cent/discount stores, letting artists live free in luxury condos (opposing their existence first of course), letting dogs run off leash, and my fav - doing the OPPOSITE of successful neighborhoods like hoboken and newport. And also making sure neighborhoods preserve that "grit" factor.

Welcome to the JC of the future - as advocated by jclisters


it's clear that the Godwin's Law of JClist has replaced Hitler with 99-cent stores.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 23:57
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#7
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

JerseyAveGirl wrote:
I hate taking my morning walk to the path and passing an increasing number of sleeping/just waking homeless people. I am not sure what makes that street more appealing over others? Is there an agency to contact or would this be a City Hall agenda to try and get these people to safer, less eye soar locations? Are the shelters reaching out or are there any services that we do or should offer? As our city gentrifies, I only see this problem growing.


Nice job going with the humanitarian guise...
don't worry, it wont grow as fast as the population of you people which is what I dislike, so I guess it's even. But not really.


I agree with Mikey, shame on you JerseyGirl for pointing out individuals who break the law by loitering and using our public streets as their personal bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen. Even though they don't pay any taxes and you support their usage of our streets through the taxes you pay, shame on you for being so selfish. And even though they have a much higher incidence of mental illness than the general population, why wouldn't you, as a woman or if you have children, feel comfortable passing them everyday? I bet if someone steals money from you, I bet you do the very selfish thing and report it as a "crime."

You should learn from Mikey, who opens up his home to the homeless and doesn't ask them for a dime. He also gives every homeless person on the street he passes a hug, tells them it's okay, and warns them that the neighborhood will be gentrifying (apparently his worst nightmare).

The key to a successful neighborhood, as evident by many JClisters - homelessness, 99 cent/discount stores, letting artists live free in luxury condos (opposing their existence first of course), letting dogs run off leash, and my fav - doing the OPPOSITE of successful neighborhoods like hoboken and newport. And also making sure neighborhoods preserve that "grit" factor.

Welcome to the JC of the future - as advocated by jclisters

Posted on: 2013/8/5 22:38
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#6
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/5/12 22:51
Last Login :
Today 12:00
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1548
Offline
Quote:

I stand corrected!

Posted on: 2013/8/5 22:24
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#5
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/11/10 4:48
Last Login :
Yesterday 22:25
From Chilltop, Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 418
Offline

Posted on: 2013/8/5 22:22
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#4
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/5/12 22:51
Last Login :
Today 12:00
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1548
Offline
Eye Soar?

Posted on: 2013/8/5 22:02
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#3
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2011/7/18 20:46
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 386
Offline
Quote:

JerseyAveGirl wrote:
Is there an agency to contact or would this be a City Hall agenda to try and get these people to safer, less eye soar locations? .


Well, the area surrounding the path at grove and newport is pretty safe, so I'm guessing you're more concerned with they "eye soar" aspect of things? Good luck with that.

I consider Paco + Taco and the Fishermen to be part of the local color at this point. And hard hat guy.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 21:50
Top


Re: Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#2
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2005/9/20 14:11
Last Login :
Yesterday 17:51
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 891
Offline
Quote:

JerseyAveGirl wrote:
I hate taking my morning walk to the path and passing an increasing number of sleeping/just waking homeless people. I am not sure what makes that street more appealing over others? Is there an agency to contact or would this be a City Hall agenda to try and get these people to safer, less eye soar locations? Are the shelters reaching out or are there any services that we do or should offer? As our city gentrifies, I only see this problem growing.


Nice job going with the humanitarian guise...
don't worry, it wont grow as fast as the population of you people which is what I dislike, so I guess it's even. But not really.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 21:34
Top


Homeless on Christopher Columbus
#1
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined :
2011/12/4 1:44
Last Login :
2014/8/12 14:04
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 64
Offline
I hate taking my morning walk to the path and passing an increasing number of sleeping/just waking homeless people. I am not sure what makes that street more appealing over others? Is there an agency to contact or would this be a City Hall agenda to try and get these people to safer, less eye soar locations? Are the shelters reaching out or are there any services that we do or should offer? As our city gentrifies, I only see this problem growing.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 21:25
Top








[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017