Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: New affordable townhouses lowered onto foundation near Hub shopping plaza
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
And if you ever hear someone say they are from Midtown they mean north of Communipaw, West of Downtown, South of JSQ, until about Bergen or Kennedy.

Bergen & Kennedy run north and south so Communipaw is the boundry south of JSQ and Bergen and Kennedy is the west boundry. What you mean to state is how far north of JSQ does midtown strech ?
I would say Academy would be the northern border of Midtown was that what you were asking? It depends more on who you asked because Midtown is just a local name for that area it isn't a legit neighborhood. It is pretty much the area JC tries to call Mcginley Square in some of the newer maps I have seen in the last 10 years. Most the people I know do not consider Mcginley Square an actual neighborhood only the corner of Montgomery and Bergen and no other blocks are considered MS.

Posted on: 2013/1/19 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Texas wrote:
SO Jackson Hill is a section of Greenville?
I found this on other recent developments in the area
http://www.thejcra.org/index.php?p=neighborhood-details&nid=9

No, its in Bergen Lafayette
It is both, his link gives as close a definition as you are going to get. Technically Bergen Lafayette isn't even a real neighborhood I never really even heard that name start to be used until around the time the city started putting up all those signs naming neighborhoods. Lafayette is it's own neighborhood but when I was a kid it wasn't uncommon for people to refer to it as Downtown, even though that wasn't technically in DT. Now new non-native Downtown residents won't count certain blocks west of the Turnpike as Downtown even though it is.

Even past the border given in the link some still will say they live on The Hill for a few blocks past, When you get closer to the end of Greenville you will hear "I live down by The Woods" or "I live down by Cityline". While neighborhoods of Greenville on the south west will simply say where they live like "I'm from Country Village" or "Society Hill" or "down by 440".

Since you like to talk about people getting off the Light Rail to buy drugs I think you will find this interesting. Back about 10 years ago give or take the teens that would rob people would ask someone they thought wasn't from there "do you know how I can get to The Hill?" or if they were on or near there "do you know where Jackson(MLK) is?" . The reasoning behind it was you weren't from there if you didn't know they were asking you to find a place you already were. A person not from JC or didn't know many people from that area wouldn't know they were on The Hill on/near Jackson ave. In their mind they were in Greenville on/near MLK.

Posted on: 2013/1/19 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
The $950 estimate comes from the developer's website. That's the estimated payment on a 4% 30 year fixed mortgage on the base model condo. The buyer would have to qualify for the mortgage, and of course the actual payments will vary somewhat. I wouldn't call this low income housing and hopefully it ends up being mostly owner-occupied.

Quote:

H-Parker wrote:
This doesn't seem to be "low-income housing" in the sense of public housing if the residents will be homeowners earning up to $80,000. I guess the reference to $950 per month is to mortgage and taxes? What prices are these going for? It is a rough neighborhood, but change has to start somewhere.

Edit: The website says prices start at "low $120,000"

Its affordable housing not low... :)

Posted on: 2013/1/18 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
The $950 estimate comes from the developer's website. That's the estimated payment on a 4% 30 year fixed mortgage on the base model condo. The buyer would have to qualify for the mortgage, and of course the actual payments will vary somewhat. I wouldn't call this low income housing and hopefully it ends up being mostly owner-occupied.

Quote:

H-Parker wrote:
This doesn't seem to be "low-income housing" in the sense of public housing if the residents will be homeowners earning up to $80,000. I guess the reference to $950 per month is to mortgage and taxes? What prices are these going for? It is a rough neighborhood, but change has to start somewhere.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Texas wrote:

No, its in Bergen Lafayette

Posted on: 2013/1/18 20:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/1/18 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
It's $950 for a three bedroom. That's pretty affordable. Consider a three bedroom rental downtown- you'd pay more than that per person in a nice building.

People are saying affordable housing should be downtown...there should be more middle class housing downtown for starters. You can find a deal every so often but when you take property tax and maintenance into account downtown is a bargain compared to NYC but not much of the rest of NJ.

Mount Laurel is nice but it has to be done on a regional basis. There are actually a lot of affordable places in JC and Hudson County. Are they all next to the PATH...no but they are there. And they are not just in Bergen Lafayette or Greenville. I know someone that pays $800 something for a 2 bedrooom in Bayonne and can walk to the Light Rail.

You can find a one bedrooms in the square for about 900 bucks and you can walk to the Path. Bayonne is cheaper than GV and BL since they don't run big section 8 voucher scams. With section 8 I can rent my GV home for $2, 500 or more a month, which is insane. I guess that's why people like investing in homes in GV, BL and not live there, you can make a great profit.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
It's $950 for a three bedroom. That's pretty affordable. Consider a three bedroom rental downtown- you'd pay more than that per person in a nice building.

People are saying affordable housing should be downtown...there should be more middle class housing downtown for starters. You can find a deal every so often but when you take property tax and maintenance into account downtown is a bargain compared to NYC but not much of the rest of NJ.

Mount Laurel is nice but it has to be done on a regional basis. There are actually a lot of affordable places in JC and Hudson County. Are they all next to the PATH...no but they are there. And they are not just in Bergen Lafayette or Greenville. I know someone that pays $800 something for a 2 bedrooom in Bayonne and can walk to the Light Rail.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/1/18 20:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Too bad posting 759 times in a year doesn't either, sugar. Cuz if it did you be a sexy little vixen.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
user1111 You weren't here when the first condos went up for sale downtown. You aren't from here, Mr. New York I bet you are a trust fund white boy whose parents either own the place where you live or still help you pay your rent. You are a dope. You said you waited for an hour for a freaking sandwich at that bakery in another post....poor baby didn't have his Ipad either whilst he was waiting. Who waits for an hour for a sandwich when no one else is in the restaurant? haha. Keep on making the hood sound liveable so your folks get their monies worth for their investment.

I wish judging other people burned calories! You would be a hunk. Too bad your not. Have a good day!

Posted on: 2013/1/18 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
This is just a future redevelopment project and good reason why developers should not be allowed to pay for off site low income housing requirements.

I agree. This is another low income project to keep certain people marginalized and concentrated in one area. Offsite affordables should not be accepted by Ward A,B, or F. Where did the money come from for this project? Which project in downtown paid for this? I am researching.
This has been happening for far too long and not really helping us over here. In 400 unit building they can very well set aside 20 condos as "affordable". Sell the empty lots and properties to locals who have been trying to buy them and the city locks them in for these deals. Everyone thinks that people in Ward F and the "undesirable" areas are broke or don't have the smarts to invest. WE are locked out. We can't buy any of the abandoned properties or empty lots. Hopefully Fulop will change this process.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
And if you ever hear someone say they are from Midtown they mean north of Communipaw, West of Downtown, South of JSQ, until about Bergen or Kennedy.

Bergen & Kennedy run north and south so Communipaw is the boundry south of JSQ and Bergen and Kennedy is the west boundry. What you mean to state is how far north of JSQ does midtown strech ?

Posted on: 2013/1/18 15:17
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe poor neighborhoods are helped by having a lower concentration of poor, poorly educated families

Posted on: 2013/1/18 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
It is ironic how yesterday you told me this area wasn't The Hill but now this topic shows it is called that. Well at least now you know. And if you ever hear someone say they are from Midtown they mean north of Communipaw, West of Downtown, South of JSQ, until about Bergen or Kennedy.

Yes, I have heard "Midtown" used that way. I guess it means I really have met people who are from here.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
This is just a future redevelopment project and good reason why developers should not be allowed to pay for off site low income housing requirements.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Housing projects for the 21st century...

Just like those luxury condo towers are apartment/tenement houses for the 21st century.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 13:46
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
user1111 You weren't here when the first condos went up for sale downtown. You aren't from here, Mr. New York I bet you are a trust fund white boy whose parents either own the place where you live or still help you pay your rent. You are a dope. You said you waited for an hour for a freaking sandwich at that bakery in another post....poor baby didn't have his Ipad either whilst he was waiting. Who waits for an hour for a sandwich when no one else is in the restaurant? haha. Keep on making the hood sound liveable so your folks get their monies worth for their investment.

argumentum ad hominem - pshaw

Posted on: 2013/1/18 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Just like when the first condos went for sale downtown, many said the same thing you assuming folks here are saying who would buy there? Guess what, most of you have.. in the same area that was once occupied by poor blacks and Latinos

I think anytime there are owner occupied spaces beside renters its a win, win and it helps neighborhoods not hurt them.

Sounds like you're suggesting that neighborhoods are helped by the removal of poor blacks and Latinos and replacing them with richer condo-owners. That certainly flies in the face of the suggested benefits of economic, ethnic and racial diversity being important elements of a vibrant neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 12:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that the City should be looking to spread affordable housing around JC and not concentrating it in a crime-infested neighborhood. There are some nice houses but there are just TOO MANY trouble makers in that area.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 6:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/1/18 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Typical LOL Jc listers assuming... You have to have a job to qualify for this, and you can not make more than 80k according the rules of the application.. there is no section 8 vouchers LOL wow people here are funny.

Just like when the first condos went for sale downtown, many said the same thing you assuming folks here are saying who would buy there? Guess what, most of you have.. in the same area that was once occupied by poor blacks and Latinos

I think anytime there are owner occupied spaces beside renters its a win, win and it helps neighborhoods not hurt them.

LOL silly listers.

It is ironic how yesterday you told me this area wasn't The Hill but now this topic shows it is called that. Well at least now you know. And if you ever hear someone say they are from Midtown they mean north of Communipaw, West of Downtown, South of JSQ, until about Bergen or Kennedy.

I said Greenville and The "Hill" are not the same place, I live in GV I do not live on The "Hill" or The "Hub"

Posted on: 2013/1/18 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Typical LOL Jc listers assuming... You have to have a job to qualify for this, and you can not make more than 80k according the rules of the application.. there is no section 8 vouchers LOL wow people here are funny.

LOL silly listers.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

LOL silly listers.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
$950 and up doesn't sound like a project rents to me.

They should be spreading these affordable housing units all around the city and not the same few neighborhoods.

Will the $950 be covered by Section 8 vouchers?

Projects used to work a bit like that. If you ever managed to get a job, your rent went up.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

$950 and up doesn't sound like a project rents to me.

They should be spreading these affordable housing units all around the city and not the same few neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/1/18 1:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Below is from the website. What a load of crap. The neighborhood is a total gang ridden shi*hole. Who buys because some famous person came from the area, a moron that's who. Community retail vendors? What the hell is that? IS that relator speak for 99 cent stores?

Are these places meant for low-income folks,ie. folks on welfare? Looks like you can only buy.

"Jackson Hill is a historic neighborhood in the City of Jersey City, starting at Communipaw Avenue Jackson Hill encompasses all of Martin Luther King Drive up to McAdoo Avenue from Bergen Avenue to Garfield Avenue. MLK Drive is the traditional main street of the The Hill neighborhood. The Hill boasts several celebrities born in this neighborhood including Flip Wilson, Kool of Kool and the Gang, Derek Luke (Sparkle & Captain America) and Malcolm Jamal Warner (Cosby Show). The Hill has a number of Jersey City?s best preserved Victorian row homes, with Madison Ave and the area around St. Pat?s displaying many fine examples. Martin Luther King Drive, which begins at Communipaw Avenue and ends at McAdoo Ave., is the center and heart of the community. The Bethune Community Center, an Agency project, has become an important part of the community. MLK Drive is an active redevelopment zone, with many real estate, neighborhood plans and Jackson Hill SID in place. The MLK Drive Hub Shopping Center is the ?Town Center? of MLK Drive hosting festivals, live concerts and soon community retail vendors. The community is also served by the MLK light rail stop serving the greater Hill community that connects to Hoboken, Newport Center and Exchange Place Path stations for NYC.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Holy crap. Do the math and then bend over.

Posted on: 2013/1/17 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/1/17 21:59

(1) 2 »